NEurope
Hogge

Switch flaws... Problem or not?

Apparently Nintendo have a left joycon fix:

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nintendo-switch-joycon-desync-connectivity-issue-fix/

Will be contacting them when i get back from Amsterdam.

I know the article already highlights it - but it's worth saying again how great I've always found Nintendo's customer service and warranty repairs in the past. Paid labels in no time and a pretty quick turnaround too - just a shame they ruined at the end by using Yodel who just left my 3ds on my doorstep!

Bit gutted to hear it's a hardware issue so everyone's gonna need it fixed like that, but at least they've hopefully discovered and solved the problem going forwards.

Have they addressed the Wifi issue? and generally connection issue for internet full stop?

Due to Sky not being able to get a line of sight (i shouldn't buy a home near picturesque woodland it seems) we had to cancel Sky and go with Virgin, so my connection speed has gone from 28mb/s to 159mb/s

So on wifi i seem to get one second connection speeds of 1mb/s, then 5, then 20 then back to 5 (with connection tests)

I then tested out (since its not connected now) the wired ethernet adaptor from the WiiU, which should be amazing right?

RIGHT?

no

5.9mb/s then 6mb/s, then 6, 6, 5.9 - consistent then with a wired connection speed on a network that on my PS4 and everything else is showing in the regions of over 100mb/s even my iphone under connection tests was getting over 100mb/s

So what is limiting the Switch? its not right at all

Have they addressed the Wifi issue? and generally connection issue for internet full stop?

Due to Sky not being able to get a line of sight (i shouldn't buy a home near picturesque woodland it seems) we had to cancel Sky and go with Virgin, so my connection speed has gone from 28mb/s to 159mb/s

So on wifi i seem to get one second connection speeds of 1mb/s, then 5, then 20 then back to 5 (with connection tests)

I then tested out (since its not connected now) the wired ethernet adaptor from the WiiU, which should be amazing right?

RIGHT?

no

5.9mb/s then 6mb/s, then 6, 6, 5.9 - consistent then with a wired connection speed on a network that on my PS4 and everything else is showing in the regions of over 100mb/s even my iphone under connection tests was getting over 100mb/s

So what is limiting the Switch? its not right at all

My Switch's wifi isn't great either. Next to the Xbox it Barely gets a signal whereas the Xbox is full speed.

Is it definitely the Switch's own problem or could it be Nintendo's servers on the other end? How are you guys able to tell the difference?

My Switch crashed playing Zelda yesterday :hmm: Basically the system UI functions stopped working. I was taking captures and not getting notifications, but I didn't think too much of it. Then, I reached something in Zelda that required me to use the system keyboard and the game just froze completely. I couldn't get it to sleep or anything, only able to shut down by holding power.

Is it definitely the Switch's own problem or could it be Nintendo's servers on the other end? How are you guys able to tell the difference?

I would have thought the connection test should be only testing the connection speed and not communicating with Nintendo's own servers in such a fashion

strangely, last night via wireless 38mb/s, it seems to be entirely random the result it produces, which surely cannot be nintendo's own servers and if it is, then why did/does my Wiiu/3DS enjoy better connection speeds?

My non-scientific approach is that the Switch rarely gets good download speeds whereas the Xbox always does and the WiFi Signal on the Switch is low compared to good on the Xbox.

I would have thought the connection test should be only testing the connection speed and not communicating with Nintendo's own servers in such a fashion

strangely, last night via wireless 38mb/s, it seems to be entirely random the result it produces, which surely cannot be nintendo's own servers and if it is, then why did/does my Wiiu/3DS enjoy better connection speeds?

Does it need something on the other end to contact in order to test said connection speed tho? And without a browser I'd imagine it's limited to checking pre-determined servers...

My non-scientific approach is that the Switch rarely gets good download speeds whereas the Xbox always does and the WiFi Signal on the Switch is low compared to good on the Xbox.

Which is kinda why i ask ofc :P i know that my ps4(wired in less than a foot away) can get absolutely terrible speeds compared to my actual connection sometimes - I've been informed it is likely to be something to do with either Sony's servers or possibly ISP traffic management. Having said that I've never actually tried a speed test via the browser so should probably give that a go at some point and see!

I got the Orzly protector recently. Anyone else using it notice how hot the console runs in docked mode? Is this likely to be a problem? I only played for an hour or so this afternoon but it was noticeably hotter to the touch than usual.

Well, I don't know what the hell is up with my Switch. It has been fine since buying day one, but since Friday morning it has been unable to connect to any internet.

It throws up an error that suggests the DNS cannot resolve. Did all the bits and pieces that Nintendo's support suggest, and still nothing (all my other devices, 3DS, New 3DS, Wii U, iPod Touch and PC have no problem connecting). So, took the Switch to another 2 known WiFi networks, and same problem. Tried my wife's mobile's 4G and still the same.

Sent an email to Nintendo, and will have to wait on it, but what a pain in the arse during the Splatoon 2 Testfire. Gutted.

Well after missing the first two Testfire sessions. I'll be hitting the 3rd. A full power down of my Switch unit, and an obvious restart has re-established the connection. Thanks to a Reddit user who came across the same issue.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd advise anyone who has their Switch always in low power mode to at least turn it off over night - no point in having it consuming any power if you're not playing it for several hours, unless you're inbetween saves - as it does seem to reset a lot of things when you power down and then up again like this connection status.

With that said, it was mentioned that these connection issues were likely introduced as a result of the day 1 update so, it would be good if Nintendo could patch in some more system stability pretty soon.

With that said, it was mentioned that these connection issues were likely introduced as a result of the day 1 update so, it would be good if Nintendo could patch in some more system stability pretty soon.

I think they'll be hard pressed to make the Switch as stable as the 3DS with its SUPER stable 3D and 8000 updates which "improved stability". Easily the most stable handheld I've ever owned, I couldn't drop it if I tried.

I suddenly can't connect to the internet on the Switch...complains about DNS problems but using Google DNS doesn't fix it. I've been able to connect to the eShop and see online friends before so not sure what's up. Maybe something to do with the Splatoon testfire? Anyone else having problems?

I suddenly can't connect to the internet on the Switch...complains about DNS problems but using Google DNS doesn't fix it. I've been able to connect to the eShop and see online friends before so not sure what's up. Maybe something to do with the Splatoon testfire? Anyone else having problems?

Try what I did. Hold the power button down for about 4 seconds, where you'll get a prompt for sleep mode or power settings and power down fully. Leave it for 30 seconds and turn it back on. That should do the job.

If londragon's post above doesn't work try setting up the wifi connection again... I had to do this on my printer yesterday, it was working fine locally but couldn't connect to the internet for no reason.

Yeah thanks, I did power it down just before and that fixed it. Weird bug.

Seems like some Switch units are either bending due to use or have been bent the whole time.

ZWNw4Tjh.jpg

QaGTHMy.jpg

Weird. Are they all like this or is this a defect? Obviously I can't check myself with not owning one.

Dude, you need to get with the times! Curved screens are where it's at!

Well fuck. I just got the lovely error code 2153-0321. It basically means that my system has a shortage in the jack port and wont switch on unless I have a headset plugged in. What the hell is up with that?! So now I have to get my system repaired, and god damnit Nintendo if you delete my 110-hour save of Zelda...

For anyone interested, my left joycon was completely fixed by Nintendo and now works even from the other room. If you have a left joycon with a poor connection in docked mode I would recommend sending it off to them.

Well fuck. I just got the lovely error code 2153-0321. It basically means that my system has a shortage in the jack port and wont switch on unless I have a headset plugged in. What the hell is up with that?! So now I have to get my system repaired, and god damnit Nintendo if you delete my 110-hour save of Zelda...

This is why it's insane that they released it with no option to back up save data.

I would be fuming if I lost my Zelda data file through no fault of my own.

Cloud saves may be coming down the road but that doesn't fix the issue right now.

For anyone interested, my left joycon was completely fixed by Nintendo and now works even from the other room. If you have a left joycon with a poor connection in docked mode I would recommend sending it off to them.

How long did it take for them to fix it?

I fixed mine by opening it up and placing a small piece of conductive foam near the wireless antenna. Works better than the right joy con now and cost, like less than 5p.

How long did it take for them to fix it?

It was about a week from me sending it to getting it back. I would recommend calling them as they didn't answer e-mails.

This is why it's insane that they released it with no option to back up save data.

I would be fuming if I lost my Zelda data file through no fault of my own.

Cloud saves may be coming down the road but that doesn't fix the issue right now.

Yes, exactly this. I mean I get it if Ninty wanted to restrict customers from copying data due to piracy and stuff, but not giving the option to stores who should be able to do switches, and hell, even Nintendo don't have the option to transfer. At most I think they have like 50% success when trying to transfer savefiles. That is just retarded.