NEurope
Hogge

Switch flaws... Problem or not?

The Switch has done extremely well during the launch period. In some parts of the world it's done better than the Wii. And with a more solid lineup for the first eight months than we've seen in a VERY long time, everything seems to be going well.

But on the flipside, there are lot's and lot's of reports of problems.

• Controller desync problem
  • Poor Wifi connections
  • Straps getting stuck if put on the wrong joycon
  • Docks stratching screens
  • Dead pixels
  • Completely ruined screens

While none of these flaws are catastrophic, putting them all together paints a somewhat grim picture. I'm not the best person to judge, but I wonder if this isn't going to hurt sales of the system.

None of these seem to be errors that could be solved with a patch, instead it seems more likely that Nintendo need to get back to the drawing board and redesign certain factors of the system. To release a revised Switch sooner than later.

Potentially, I feel they might have to recall and replace people's joycons.

What are your thoughts? Can Nintendo just ride this one out? Or do they need to panic and fix the flaws at any cost?

Well so far...

Controller desync problem - no issues here

Poor Wifi connections - down to the hardware, I only get one bar but it seems to be enough, I have yet to test online play though

Straps getting stuck if put on the wrong joycon - this is more user error than anything else

Docks stratching screens - very unfortunate issue, I opted to use a screen protector just to be safe, my dock doesn't seem to scratch much

Dead pixels - lucky with this one, my screen is fine

Completely ruined screens - the screen protector melting in some cases is an odd one, haven't had it happen myself

But yes, overall I can see why this would amount to something of a launch "Snagging List" for the console.

For some of it, let's see what future software updates might fix and for everything else, hopefully the hardware will be refined in time.

I'm more than happy with my Switch at the moment though. :)

Controller desync problem - not experienced it

Poor wifi - my router is right next to it so can't judge

Straps getting stuck - meh

Docks scratching screens - annoying if it's as bad as that dubious pic makes out

Dead pixels - has anyone here got one?

Ruined screens - ?

Every console has teething issues, the very nature of the hybrid console means it's likely to have more than others, but so far nothing about it has annoyed me.

Don't own one, but the ones I hear most about is the dock and left joycon.

The problem is, we're not going to have an accurate gauge on just how widespread this issue is for a while because only the people who have these issues are going to be shouting about it on the internet, social networks etc. There are still hundreds of thousands of people that we're clearly not hearing from about it.

But those first two issues are the ones I'll be keeping my eye on before putting down cash to buy one. I was hoping maybe I could get one by the time MK8DX is out but even if I can I'll be waiting to see how things are. The thing I'm still thoroughly confused about is why on earth they were charging so much for that fucking dock? And why isn't something that's going to house a very expensive hardware unit not up to the usual Nintendo standard? We can all agree that pretty much every Nintendo product to date has been miles ahead in physical build quality than most of their competitors, yet that dock looks like a flimsy fucking joke.

Supposedly the problem with the dock scratching the screens comes down to people actually having bent docks (quite how they got bent is another matter). Makes sense to me, I've had zero issues with mine and it's something you'd catch immediately in testing.

As for the WiFi, mine has been fine. There are a couple of things you have to note here. Firstly, 5ghz signals are, by their nature, shorter in range than the standard 2.4ghz; so if you're using it and you struggle to get a signal, try using 2.4ghz instead. Secondly, the eShop and Nintendo's servers in general are kinda buggered right now; I've had mine connected via a wired connection while docked and I'm still having issues connecting online, so it's not necessarily down to a weak WiFi signal.

The left Joycon disconnecting is a serious issue though. I've had that happen a few times to me...

Edited by Dcubed

I've not had any problems so far but I worry about the dock scratch because I remember the terrible original 3DS problem and shudder :heh:

The WiFi problems worry me most. Sometimes, the console struggles to even stream a video without buffering every few seconds.

It's less of an issue now as we don't have any online games but could be a major problem once these do start to come.

Of course the flaws are a problem but it seems to be blown out of proportions as all consoles experience defects at launch - it really can't be helped. I hope, however, that Nintendo will handle the left JoyCon problem - one that I see as the biggest problem since it's most likely hardware related - a bit more professionally in the future rather than saying you shouldn't play near an aquarium... that's not good enough.

Bad wi-fi is hopefully fixable via software updates and docks scratching screens seems more likely to be human error than anything else - bent docks are a possibility too, I guess but seems weird.

Furthermore, as Debug_mode correctly said, people with fautls complain the loudest and thus the percentage of faulty units cannot be approximated from the information available. I'd like to hear the absolute numbers on these problems.

What launch hardware hasn't had similar issues?

Controller desync problem - Yeah I've experienced this, but then did that suggested update then full reboot and don't get it as much.

Poor Wifi connections - Mine seems fine. Managed to pick up my WiFi from the other side of the house

Straps getting stuck if put on the wrong joycon - Well yeah, if you force something to fit that won't fit then it'll get stuck

Docks stratching screens - Seems that some docks are bent and that's what is causing it. Mine's fine. People just need to be careful

Dead pixels - This happens with all LCD screens. All companies will not do a refund/replacement on just one or two. Some needing at least 5 to do it.

Completely ruined screens - Usually their fault by manhandling. I don't know what else could cause that

The only proper issues are the first two and dead pixels. Maybe bent docks, but the docks as standard do not scratch the screen unless you're pulling it out with ridiculous force. Even with a bent dock, it shouldn't scratch it as much as some of the photos have suggested.

Melted screen protectors..?! I've just bought a screen protector, should I not have bothered? ::shrug:

Not had any of the other issues yet other than the poor wifi.

Melted screen protectors..?! I've just bought a screen protector, should I not have bothered? ::shrug:

Not had any of the other issues yet other than the poor wifi.

The hori one is shit. That's on them though not the device.

What launch hardware hasn't had similar issues?

Controller desync problem - Yeah I've experienced this, but then did that suggested update then full reboot and don't get it as much.

Poor Wifi connections - Mine seems fine. Managed to pick up my WiFi from the other side of the house

Straps getting stuck if put on the wrong joycon - Well yeah, if you force something to fit that won't fit then it'll get stuck

Docks stratching screens - Seems that some docks are bent and that's what is causing it. Mine's fine. People just need to be careful

Dead pixels - This happens with all LCD screens. All companies will not do a refund/replacement on just one or two. Some needing at least 5 to do it.

Completely ruined screens - Usually their fault by manhandling. I don't know what else could cause that

The only proper issues are the first two and dead pixels. Maybe bent docks, but the docks as standard do not scratch the screen unless you're pulling it out with ridiculous force. Even with a bent dock, it shouldn't scratch it as much as some of the photos have suggested.

It shouldn't scratch regardless. No way I would risk putting mine in any dock now.

It shouldn't scratch regardless. No way I would risk putting mine in any dock now.

It shouldn't, no. And most don't.

While none of these flaws are catastrophic, putting them all together paints a somewhat grim picture. I'm not the best person to judge, but I wonder if this isn't going to hurt sales of the system.

Any defect for any device is a problem for the consumer. You should be able to buy a product and it should work as stated, if not then you have the right to complain.

In terms of it being a problem for Nintendo, it will be fine in the grand scheme of things, just as long as the mainstream news outlets don't start picking up on the stories of the defects. BBC wrote a piece this morning praising the console and its sales but ended the piece saying that thousands have complained about dead pixels.

And it has not been plain sailing for the firm.

Thousands of customers have complained about dead or stuck pixels. - which they say create distracting and annoying dark squares on their screens.

Nintendo said such pixels were "normal and should not be considered a defect".

The article was mostly positive but if the negatives start gaining traction then it could cause issues for Nintendo.

Any defect for any device is a problem for the consumer. You should be able to buy a product and it should work as stated, if not then you have the right to complain.

In terms of it being a problem for Nintendo, it will be fine in the grand scheme of things, just as long as the mainstream news outlets don't start picking up on the stories of the defects. BBC wrote a piece this morning praising the console and its sales but ended the piece saying that thousands have complained about dead pixels.

The article was mostly positive but if the negatives start gaining traction then it could cause issues for Nintendo.

I want to know where the hell they got the "thousands" from. The only thing I can work out is the amount of replies to a reddit thread

I want to know where the hell they got the "thousands" from. The only thing I can work out is the amount of replies to a reddit thread

No idea. Maybe they sat and looked at Reddit, Neogaf, Gamefaqs etc. and added all the numbers up. :D

Fact is though that news outlets such as the BBC have mainstream appeal and can have a lot of sway with people. So if news items like the dead pixels gain traction then it will become an issue for Nintendo.

No idea. Maybe they sat and looked at Reddit, Neogaf, Gamefaqs etc. and added all the numbers up. :D

Fact is though that news outlets such as the BBC have mainstream appeal and can have a lot of sway with people. So if news items like the dead pixels gain traction then it will become an issue for Nintendo.

Thing is, dead pixels are such a common thing in LCD stuff and other companies have similar policies to Nintendo, including Apple, Dell, Sony, LG etc.

Thing is, dead pixels are such a common thing in LCD stuff and other companies have similar policies to Nintendo, including Apple, Dell, Sony, LG etc.

Oh, I know. Still doesn't make it right. However, if I ever see a dead pixel on my screen, having just recently got it out the box, I send it straight back. For me not's not acceptable. It's a fault. I done this with my PSP, 3DS and Wii U.

I cant remember where I saw it but wasn't Nintendo's response to the dead pixel problem a bit weird? I'm at work at the moment so I cant really search for it but I think it was them shifting the blame saying it was the LCD's fault not the Switches.

I cant remember where I saw it but wasn't Nintendo's response to the dead pixel problem a bit weird? I'm at work at the moment so I cant really search for it but I think it was them shifting the blame saying it was the LCD's fault not the Switches.

They're right and the other companies say the same: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231487975&postcount=45

Among others

Oh, I know. Still doesn't make it right. However, if I ever see a dead pixel on my screen, having just recently got it out the box, I send it straight back. For me not's not acceptable. It's a fault. I done this with my PSP, 3DS and Wii U.

Oh I agree, it sucks, but all companies have a limit of dead pixels they tolerate before calling it a defect.

No I get that. I think it was probably more the way the quote read, like the LCD wasnt part of the Switch. Plus they still pick the company to provide the LCDs so should still shoulder some of the blame.

To be clear though, I know that dead pixels are a common thing and its not a proper issue. It was just something that stood out when they commented on it.

I've used two switches in the same position/settings. On one, no controller desync, on another, frequent and irritating.

I've not had any problems so far but I worry about the dock scratch because I remember the terrible original 3DS problem and shudder :heh:

I was thinking the exact same thing! My bottom screen is permanently lined by the top screen now.

It seems to me that a number of these issues are complete oversights - they've emerged in barely less than a weekend of the system being out? I mean it's better for consumers to know issues are there here and now - but for me it seems an oversight that they seem to be happening to a number of people already.

It delays my want to purchase the Switch - maybe they'll fix it or some other solution will come up but it doesn't fill me with confidence if these are all things happening within just days of the thing being released.

Dead pixels are unfortunately a reality of all LCD screen manufacturing. The higher the pixel count though, the more likely you are to have an unlucky dead pixel or two. Thankfully, neither of my Switches have one, but it will just be random whether or not you get unlucky with one and isn't really an issue that will go away with time.

The dock doesn't scratch it normally. The problem that those people had came from having damaged docks that were bent out of shape.

The desyncing left Joycon is bloody annoying though. It needs a fix ASAP.

Edited by Dcubed

I was thinking the exact same thing! My bottom screen is permanently lined by the top screen now.

It seems to me that a number of these issues are complete oversights - they've emerged in barely less than a weekend of the system being out? I mean it's better for consumers to know issues are there here and now - but for me it seems an oversight that they seem to be happening to a number of people already.

It delays my want to purchase the Switch - maybe they'll fix it or some other solution will come up but it doesn't fill me with confidence if these are all things happening within just days of the thing being released.

This isn't an "oversight". Most docks won't scratch it. Some are seemingly bent somehow and that's what's causing it, but it's not an "oversight".

They even put buffers in so the dock wouldn't make contact with the Switch itself under normal circumstances to try and prevent this

Edited by Serebii

Why isn't it an oversight if it's happening to a number of people? Did people intentionally damage their own docks to cause this? Surely this is exactly the point of testing. For it to be missed is, imo, a definite oversight.