NEurope
ReZourceman

Will Nintendo Return To E3 Presentations In 2017?

So. The Switch is out. Do Nintendo need to return physically to E3?

Clearly, they've had issues the last few years and with the Wii U, and surely they know they need to bring the games? And surely they know that this needs to be on the biggest platform that gamers look forward to?

If not, will they deliver a Direct at this time instead? What do you think? What do they need to do? What will excite you?

I'd be excited over Nintendo @ E3 definitely. They need to be there. I enjoy the treehouse stuff but I really think they need to get themselves to e3 to bring the hype. Let's be honest, they have the franchises to be able to cause waves of excitement for anyone and everyone watching if they have the games in development to do so.

Imagine if they announced a new F Zero or Metroid at e3. They'd prob win the whole thing.

Now the Switch is out and seemingly doing well (better than Wii U anyway), people are going to want to know what's to come. I just hope Nintendo haven't shot their load too early for this year and we're left with little else to discuss.

Oh and Super Princess Peach 2 would be most welcome whenever you're ready Nintendo k thanks.

From what I recall, the E3 floor plan was leaked a week or two ago, with Nintendo and Sony taking up most of the space on the floor (which confuses me with Scorpio coming out later this year, but anyway).

I think we could see a massive blowout at E3, from everything like VC to new game announcements and so on. Heck, wouldn't be surprised if they have a Zelda Collection planned with most (if not all) of the games at a somewhat discounted price.

So. The Switch is out. Do Nintendo need to return physically to E3?

Physically? They have a huge booth every year and their Treehouse segments have been a thing for the last few years. If you mean a live presentation then I don't think it makes a huge difference whether it's that or a pre-recorded video.

Im thinking after the Switch presentation they will relax their on stage presence a bit... Im not too bothered really; a video stream of games is enough for me. And at least without a live presentation gamers won't moan about translation issues and the like.

As I mentioned in my review, I think they need to ensure they don't just turn it into The Nintendo Show.

Nintendo have been at E3 physically with huge booths every year, so yes.

Apologies, I did indeed mean a physical presentation rather than a pre-recorded Direct.

Nintendo needs to capitalise on the goodwill they've built up with hardcore gamers recently. I mean, Breath of the Wild really is hardcore :o. As strange as it sounds after being used to all these years of the Wii and Wii U, the company does now seem to have loads of fresh talent who have mastered HD game-making. I think they need to be at E3 with a new Metroid (although I shudder to think how daunting it'd be!) Bonus points for F-Zero and Kid Icarus.

The Switch hardware is good, and we know Mario's on its way. Nintendo really does have a chance to get back in the game now.

I think they'll have a big presence this year but They may concentrate on this years games that haven't come out; Mario, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Heroes etc and maybe have a Direct at the end with late 2018 games. I think Ubisoft will have a few games for the Switch.

What I want;

Metroid Prime 4

Eternal Darkness 2

Dark Souls 1 Switch edition

MGS Collection (with Twin Snakes and V)

FZero SX

Beyond good and evil 2

Pilotwings

Any of those would make me extremely happy.

See, I still don't think they need to. For everyone at home, again the difference is psychological. They can bring the big guns with a pre-prepared presentation without all the awkward bits, pause for applause and so forth.

January's Switch event was good...in the bits that were pre-recorded. Everything else was awkward.

I think we're starting to move beyond the live presentations at E3. I think other companies will eventually follow suit and do pre-recorded livestreams. It's no coincidence that many people think at the best presentations are ones that just give you a 1-2 of game reveal/trailer rather than awkward stage demonstrations.

Regardless if they have a presentation or not, they better have some games that will be ready for launch IMMEDIATELY.

Looking at the Wikipedia list, there are only SIX games coming out for the Switch in June and July. Of course, that might change as games dated for "2017" get more specific release dates. But still, as is right now, that period seems to be a drought.

And of course, their presentation needs to be all-out AAA-mayhem to compensate for the lack of such games being announced thus far. Seriously, no time to brag about getting a sequel to TankTankTank and no pretending like timed exclusivity for the next 2D Rayman is a big deal.

I get that sneaking suspicion that they will indeed. The Direct format has fallen by the wayside ever since Iwata's passing and the Switch is primed for success, unlike the Wii U, so they have an incentive to splash the cash for a live presentation; especially since members of the public can actually attend this year's E3.

I don't think they need to, and I'm not sure whether it'd be better or worse for them if they did. Their approach over the last few years was good enough for me not being at E3, the long streams and treehouse stuff etc is pretty good - you can't play the games but you can see people playing and get a bit of feel for it through that. My only issues are some of the presenters are annoying and they need to have a decent quantity of varied content - the problem will be that if that stuff simply doesn't exist for the Switch then how can they show it off? I guess in that instance stuff like conference/presentation with trailers etc could be done but really I don't see the need for it these days.

I don't think they need to, and I'm not sure whether it'd be better or worse for them if they did. Their approach over the last few years was good enough for me not being at E3, the long streams and treehouse stuff etc is pretty good - you can't play the games but you can see people playing and get a bit of feel for it through that. My only issues are some of the presenters are annoying and they need to have a decent quantity of varied content - the problem will be that if that stuff simply doesn't exist for the Switch then how can they show it off? I guess in that instance stuff like conference/presentation with trailers etc could be done but really I don't see the need for it these days.

If every E3 was like E3 2014, I might agree with you, but that's sadly not the case. Plus you can't deny that something is lacking without that live factor, you don't get quite that same level of excitement and hype from a pre-recorded video that lacks a live audience.

If not a physical E3-presentation, they at least need to present a lot of new game announcements to keep the momentum going. They need to bring out more guns to the show if the want to keep the Switch selling until, and during, the holiday season. And of course, Mario will be one of the stars of the show.

If every E3 was like E3 2014, I might agree with you, but that's sadly not the case. Plus you can't deny that something is lacking without that live factor, you don't get quite that same level of excitement and hype from a pre-recorded video that lacks a live audience.

I would agree, but most of the reactions we hear from a live audience on the streams are just piped through speakers to enhance it.

How many times have we heard rapturous applause in a stream, just for the camera to cut to the audience just sitting there?

I would agree, but most of the reactions we hear from a live audience on the streams are just piped through speakers to enhance it.

How many times have we heard rapturous applause in a stream, just for the camera to cut to the audience just sitting there?

...none that I can recall ::shrug:

b8d026447effad19676de7e8ccc05c6f.gif

Never heard of that myself but I know some companies do ship in fans for certain sections to get the cheers going etc. Thats not really a practice I mind but it is nice when the companies themselves actually mention it at the start of the conference.

Never heard of that myself but I know some companies do ship in fans for certain sections to get the cheers going etc. Thats not really a practice I mind but it is nice when the companies themselves actually mention it at the start of the conference.

Bethesda had that random screaming woman in the crowd last year. It was absolutely awful. No idea if she was just a fan or an employee.

Imagine if they announced a new F Zero or Metroid at e3. They'd prob win the whole thing.

I'm imagining both. :love: They'll lose if they pull a Star Fox Zero though.

From what I recall, the E3 floor plan was leaked a week or two ago, with Nintendo and Sony taking up most of the space on the floor (which confuses me with Scorpio coming out later this year, but anyway).

I wouldn't be so gulible with rumours/speculations bud.

Bethesda had that random screaming woman in the crowd last year. It was absolutely awful. No idea if she was just a fan or an employee.

Lol yep I remember that.

The front row at Apple conferences are filled with company executives and they're the ones making most of the noise and applause during announcements. When the camera cuts to the crowd you can see it's mostly them applauding and barely any others behind them.

I'd forgotten about her. Cringey.