NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Spoiler-Free: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Yeah, when I play in portable mode it takes some adjusting, have to wang my finger a little more to access the right stick

I even like the stuff that people hate - breakable weapons, the combat (I think the combat is amazing so really don't get this), even the rain stopping you from climbing.... Though I was on an epic mountain climb last night, half way up it started raining and I sensed frustration then! But ultimately I enjoyed that frustration, like I couldn't continue anymore, all that hard work, it didn't feel like. waste of time, because I feel so apart of the the world.

I love stuff like that, makes it realistic and allows the gamer to exercise patience - either wait until the rain passes over or do something else in the meantime.

I think its (rain affecting progression, breakable weapons) frustrating to the gamers who just want to progress as quickly as possible.

I literally spent an hour cooking last night... it's so addictive. Finished playing at 1am, and have work today!

Are you using the joycon grip?

I've missed clicked too many a time now, most annoying is the left joystick being pressed accidently to crouch mid-battle. I think its due to the small size of both the joysticks and shoulder buttons.

Just ordered me a pro controller, picking up at my local Argos.

Sometimes with the grip, sometimes in tablet mode, same issue.

I feel like the Pro controller will really add to the experience but can't justify £60

The forecast bit of the HUD would be useful if you've a big climb ahead, if you see rain on the way just leave the climb till later.

I can't quite believe how many korok seed puzzles there in total, cause I've found about 9 in ten hours. Hoping the puzzles get a bit tougher later in the game.

Are you using the joycon grip?

I've missed clicked too many a time now, most annoying is the left joystick being pressed accidently to crouch mid-battle. I think its due to the small size of both the joysticks and shoulder buttons.

Just ordered me a pro controller, picking up at my local Argos.

Pro Controller is definitly the way to go. Unfortunately most of my gametime is while lying in bed so tabletop won't do. Just need to put more time in this for it to become more intuitive.

Yeah, when I play in portable mode it takes some adjusting, have to wang my finger a little more to access the right stick

Sometimes with the grip, sometimes in tablet mode, same issue.

I feel like the Pro controller will really add to the experience but can't justify £60

DUDES! The pro controller is 101% the way to go with this game!!! The sturdiness of the controller inhibits the misclicks! Really impressed. (A slightly easier pill to chew on since I had a legacy refund sitting in my Paypal account).

Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker had that perfect blend of size, pacing and storytelling, and were also quite forgiving. Twilight Princess wasn't quite as good, and was thus extremely controversial, but its heart was in the right place. I think Nintendo has been overreacting to that ever since, making the simple and linear Skyward Sword, and now the totally non-linear Breath of the Wild. Both are so extreme! What I don't think is appreciated, is that Twilight Princess was so controversial not because it was bad, but because it was slightly less than the 10/10, amazing games we had come to expect after OOT/MM/WW. All that was needed was a slight tweak... evolution, improvement.

What we have is a very successful attempt at making the ultimate open world game - impressive, but I don't see how we got here from OOT, WW and TP.

I've only played maybe a few hours or so and not progressed too far - but I am liking what I've played so far. I think it's a massive shake-up to the standard Zelda approach and I think it was sorely needed myself - I think Miyamoto's time may well be done and I'm kind of glad Aonuma made attempts to break from that iirc.

Ofc I've still got much more game to go - but I certainly think this isn't a bad thing for the series. There's obvious issues(as you mentioned in the same post) which is annoying to have alongside such goodness - but all in all I'm hopeful for the title.

I do have a bit of an issue with the WiiU version tho - if you invert your verticle camera axis it inverts stuff like the magnesis too. It's weirdly dissonant and I couldn't get used to it when I was playing - it kinda helps that when activated it has a control guide at the bottom of the screen but that's not changed for inversion either - and I can't help but feel pretty disappointed that something so simple/basic made it all the way through testing into the final game. I don't know if it's also an issue on Switch mind, but if it is that's kinda shoddy from them.

DUDES! The pro controller is 101% the way to go with this game!!! The sturdiness of the controller inhibits the misclicks! Really impressed. (A slightly easier pill to chew on since I had a legacy refund sitting in my Paypal account).

Oh, I am playing it with the pro 95% of the time, and it is an incredible incredible controller. I just meant when I do play portable I notice the difference.

The forecast bit of the HUD would be useful if you've a big climb ahead, if you see rain on the way just leave the climb till later.

The HUD and inventory are probably my biggest complaints about the game.

The biggest issue is relevant to me and probably a tiny amount of people. I can barely see the difference between the red hearts and the grey "shadow" of the hearts. Makes it difficult for me to see health.

Secondly: The Wii U version feels like it's been held back by the Switch version.

At the very least, there really should be an option to have the elements removed from the "Pro" hud appear on the GamePad. This would have been a minimal thing and I'm sure Switch owners definitely wouldn't mind it.

I really wish they had kept in the full GamePad support. There's no reason why it couldn't work alongside the current inventory/controls, it just seems like it was removed just because they didn't want to make the Switch version "look bad".

Oh, I am playing it with the pro 95% of the time, and it is an incredible incredible controller. I just meant when I do play portable I notice the difference.

Yeah, even the difference between grip and handheld mode is noticeable - its the contours of the grip and pro controller that make it feel better (for me) - in handheld I find it to be too flat for intense games like Zelda, but fine with lower input games like Snipperclips (and games like Pokemon especially...ohh, cant wait for that beauty).

The HUD and inventory are probably my biggest complaints about the game.

The biggest issue is relevant to me and probably a tiny amount of people. I can barely see the difference between the red hearts and the grey "shadow" of the hearts. Makes it difficult for me to see health.

Secondly: The Wii U version feels like it's been held back by the Switch version.

At the very least, there really should be an option to have the elements removed from the "Pro" hud appear on the GamePad. This would have been a minimal thing and I'm sure Switch owners definitely wouldn't mind it.

I really wish they had kept in the full GamePad support. There's no reason why it couldn't work alongside the current inventory/controls, it just seems like it was removed just because they didn't want to make the Switch version "look bad".

”When we were developing the game for the Wii U, we had touch features implemented as you have seen. Once we began to develop the game in tandem for the Switch, we aimed to provide the same gameplay experience across both on Switch and Wii U.

In doing our testing without the touch features we noticed looking back and forth between the GamePad and the screen actually took a little something away from this type of Zelda game.

Without the touch features it actually turned out to be a really strong gameplay experience. After more experimentation and testing out, we realized that this is the best way to experience the game. That’s how we ended up with the current gameplay style in the production version.

There was no hesitation or reluctance in removing those features because we felt the way it is now is the best way to play the game.”

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/06/nintendo-cut-some-touchscreen-features-from-breath-of-the-wild/

Have to say I quite like just looking at one screen again.

I can see the current mess of an inventory being helped by using the WiiU pad. Especially touching between weapons, items food etc.!

Yeah, that's a complete lie. It's just they can't officially say that they removed them to make it the same as the Switch.

I mean, they added the "pro" HUD mode. Pausing the game to look at stuff is clearly more distracting than looking down.

They're also talking about touch features. Even non-touch stuff would have been handy.

And, even if they had those features, there would still be the option to play without.

I do have a bit of an issue with the WiiU version tho - if you invert your verticle camera axis it inverts stuff like the magnesis too. It's weirdly dissonant and I couldn't get used to it when I was playing - it kinda helps that when activated it has a control guide at the bottom of the screen but that's not changed for inversion either - and I can't help but feel pretty disappointed that something so simple/basic made it all the way through testing into the final game. I don't know if it's also an issue on Switch mind, but if it is that's kinda shoddy from them.

Yes, I noticed that too, and it is the same on the Switch version. Took me a while to get used to the camera controls, as I do normally invert the vertical axis, but haven't bothered with this for the reason you mentioned.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game a lot more whilst, oddly, not disagreeing with what I wrote yesterday.

Yes, it's very annoying when this happens, even though personally I wanted the Switch version. Last time I saw it from the other side of the fence, as I wanted the GameCube version of TP. I won't go into it again, but both versions had many changes to them (ie. the Wii changes were applied back to the GC).

I'm used to handheld mode, haven't even used the dock or pro controller yet.

My mrs prefers the layout of the JoyCon to the Pro Controller... the nutter. Hah

I don't have any problem with the JoyCon but prefer the PC obviously.

Anyhoo, I've played much less than I'd have liked to because the mrs loves the game too and is on it a fair bit... damn me for wanting her to have a "little" go!

I had my first sad moment tonight.

I was on the hunt for a decent horse (both in looks and traits), found a lovely black horse, with a white mane and feet. It ran away even though I was being stealthy, pursued for a while, finally got to mount it after a few minute chase. It threw me right off and ran away, again I pursued on foot. I've got a good, strong horse here I thought. After about 15 minutes of chasing and being thrown off (about 5 times) I took a stamina elixir and tried one final time... Yes success he finally let me on!

One problem we were on the side of a steep hill and we couldn't get up... eventually we slid achingly slowly to our inevitable date with the lake below. Where he swam around a bit and then I drowned...

And I'll never even get to name him or even find out if he was actually any good stats wise... :(

I had my first sad moment tonight.

I was on the hunt for a decent horse (both in looks and traits), found a lovely black horse, with a white mane and feet. It ran away even though I was being stealthy, pursued for a while, finally got to mount it after a few minute chase. It threw me right off and ran away, again I pursued on foot. I've got a good, strong horse here I thought. After about 15 minutes of chasing and being thrown off (about 5 times) I took a stamina elixir and tried one final time... Yes success he finally let me on!

One problem we were on the side of a steep hill and we couldn't get up... eventually we slid achingly slowly to our inevitable date with the lake below. Where he swam around a bit and then I drowned...

And I'll never even get to name him or even find out if he was actually any good stats wise... :(

Haha.

Your story triggered my memory of this scene from The Neverending Story.

12KxVvj5AR2Une.gif

This is one of the greatest games of all time. I'm so glad I'm exploring it slowly and casually. This is the way it was meant to be played. Take your time, wander around, not aimlessly but not so directed. Gradually build up strength, but not in an obvious "item gate" kind of way.... Leaning recipes, stumbling upon villages, running from enemies that can one-shot you. Absolutely incredible.

It has niggles. It has parts that are overly frustrating and the rain! Oh god, the rain. But it doesn't take away from it, really, just adds to the challenge.

I came across a Stone Tallus east of the Plateau, ran away from it as I wasn't equipped to take it down a second time. Ran up a hill, easily 100 metres away, it still threw a massive rock my way!

Ran away further.

I came across a Stone Tallus east of the Plateau, ran away from it as I wasn't equipped to take it down a second time. Ran up a hill, easily 100 metres away, it still threw a massive rock my way!

Ran away further.

LOL. Everyone has a unique story.

Does anyone else feel sheer terror when those guys randomly appear? (keeping it non spoiler)... The smaller guys are fine and have good prizes but the bigger ones... Reminds me of the advice that dude gave Neo when ever he sees an agent...RUN! (but evening running might not save you).

In these instances though I find the fast travel a bit cheap. I feel it should be inactive during battle.

LOL. Everyone has a unique story.

Does anyone else feel sheer terror when those guys randomly appear? (keeping it non spoiler)... The smaller guys are fine and have good prizes but the bigger ones... Reminds me of the advice that dude gave Neo when ever he sees an agent...RUN! (but evening running might not save you).

In these instances though I find the fast travel a bit cheap. I feel it should be inactive during battle.

I decided to take on a big one for the first time last night. I had +10 hearts from food and it still almost killed me. What a feeling when you finally take it down though! Awesome mini-boss.

I didn't even realise there was a bigger one! The mini-bosses out in the open are great though, the scale of them is just brilliant.

On another note, I really love how the game doesn't fill your map with icons telling you where everything is. It's a great feeling filling it in yourself with icons. Being able to look through the scope and place waypoints on objects is a nifty feature too, useful to know how far something is or what region it's in.