NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Spoiler-Free: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

This game is phenomenal. Like, genuinely one of the best games I have ever played good. Not overly far in the game in the grand scheme of things but I have put several hours in.

It's just open world done right. Like they've scaled to a massive world yet in Wind Waker fashion there is something unique in every quadrant to seek out, which is something most other open world games don't do. Usually it's a case of copy-paste some feature or landmark across a large map and inundate the player with loads of icons to visit. Not here, no sir. Even getting into many shrines is quite different fairly often, never mind what goes on in the shrines.

I can't get over what an amazing reinvention of Zelda this is. Like what kind of mad shit went down in a board room, what coke-fuelled epiphany happened, to lead to this end result...we'll probably never know. I would love them to do this kind of shit with some of Nintendo's other series too.

All I can say is that Aonuma is king. Majora's Mask and then this is nothing short of sorcery. Fucking game of the generation right here.

I'm glad that you are loving it! I have been wondering what your thoughts are.

I couldn't put it better what you said myself.

It literally feels like I am on a genuine adventure. I can't really put into words how I feel about this game.

I love how this game leaves the player to figure things out. Its great. I went on a raft and got my korok leaf out. Made my way to this random island and then it was a gateway to a shrine. I climbed a random mountain, furthest away from civilisation and found a korok.

I'm enjoying the story and lore. Its clear and straightforward.

All of the shrines I have encountered are clever - puzzles or defeating the mini boss.

Masterpiece

Edited by Blade

That beautiful theme of the town to the west is stuck in my head. Absolutely beautiful.

Yeah, definitely my favourite music in the game.

Take it everyone's noticed the Shrine music is based on the cave tune from ALTTP? Nice touch!

Take it everyone's noticed the Shrine music is based on the cave tune from ALTTP? Nice touch!

No!! Never realised!

One of the main criticisms i have of this game is the lack of familiar Zelda tunes aswell.

Yeah, I noticed that straight away. Really nice touch.

Has anyone encountered any technical issues? The game crashed and quit to the Home menu for me last night and I had a moment where it froze and stuttered quite badly during a battle. Haven't encountered anything else apart from a couple of small frame drops.

I'm surprised by how much running about exploring I've been doing, I thought I'd be jumping straight into the story stuff.

Yes. Happened to me yesterday. Exactly as you described. I had a 3 hour session, so the Switch was nice and hot, a big fight, lots of explosions, Moblins, all colours of Bokoblins, and then incredible slowdown and ejected to the UI with an error message. Loaded it straight back up, and all was ok, except for losing a few minutes progress, of course.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I feel I'm now enjoying this a lot more as I've started to explore more and not just follow the main quest. I'm just taking my time to activate the tower in the new region and then just explore it as much as I can.

Oh god Amazon, why have do you have enough stock to send me a Switch but not ZELDA?!!! AAAAGH

tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif

Followed the story until the first (lovely) town, I don't understand how some people think this game doesn't feel like a Zelda title. Absolutely loving it, though the sidequests seem quite basic and easy so far.

Followed the story until the first (lovely) town, I don't understand how some people think this game doesn't feel like a Zelda title. Absolutely loving it, though the sidequests seem quite basic and easy so far.

I agree, it feels like a Zelda to me but the old formula has changed. Yeah, the side quests are a bit basic. I wish there were more meat to them.

I agree, it feels like a Zelda to me but the old formula has changed. Yeah, the side quests are a bit basic. I wish there were more meat to them.

I found a quest in one of the stables that had a lot of meat to it.

So this game has become seriously hard to get hold of. Even more than the Switch it would seem.

And before anybody asks, no I'm not going to pay 59.99 for it. Was is this, the N64 days?

I've been hitting the screenshot button literally every 10 seconds in this glorious game...

GX5qLC.jpg

CcN3J5.jpg

erUWYI.jpg

15tvl6.jpg

jv6uYg.jpg

So this game has become seriously hard to get hold of. Even more than the Switch it would seem.

And before anybody asks, no I'm not going to pay 59.99 for it. Was is this, the N64 days?

When you play it and think of the wages they must have had to pay, it is honestly worth £60. Anyway, glad to hear you've got it now (if I read that correctly?)

I'm just at the cineworld in Sheffield waiting for King Kong to come on and some music came on. I was thinking "I recognise this".

Only fucking Zelda's Lullaby was playing.

When you play it and think of the wages they must have had to pay, it is honestly worth £60. Anyway, glad to hear you've got it now (if I read that correctly?)

Yes and no... I'm fairly certain that when it comes to games that Nintendo makes the highest margin of any publisher. I'm happy to pay for it but after spending so much on the console with no pack-in game, I think it's asking a lot for that price.

One of my biggest concerns going into this was that the game would be relying more on ambience and that there wouldn't be much music in the game but thankfully that's turned out not to be the case. Three regions in and the music is fantastic, a combination of great new arrangements of classic Zelda tunes and really varied new pieces.

Edited by killthenet

One of my biggest concerns going into this was that the game would be relying more on ambience and that there wouldn't be much music in the game but thankfully that's turned out not to be the case. Three regions in and the music is fantastic, a combination of great new arrangements of classic Zelda tunes and really varied new pieces.

Now bear with me whilst I use extremely technical words; but I absolutely love the plinky-plonky Ghibli-ish nature of the music as you adventure through the world. It's just perfect!

C6W9145U4AAGd-_.jpg:large

I totes took a picture in the exact same place :p Starting to wonder if just everyone did! Very nice touch to have accessible so early in the game.

I found a quest in one of the stables that had a lot of meat to it.

Horse meat scandal strikes again?!

How do you tackle enemies? Chances are, it's nowhere near as creative as this guy.

Fair warning, there is a very minor spoiler of the end of a side quest. Nothing huge, just the last bits of dialogue before a reward. But just putting it out there.

Anyway, I got to 36 shrines, but that was before I realised I was getting a Switch way sooner than I expected. (Thanks again @S.C.G )

So I'm gonna use the 50 quid Amazon voucher I got for Christmas to get Zelda and play Zelda on the Bus, Zelda on the Train, Zelda in my house, Zelda in your house, and most importantly, Zelda on the loo!

Thanks @Shorty, I'll learn how to do vids properly one day.

Edited by Glen-i
in ur post fixin ur tags

Really enjoying it so far, it's the best Nintendo game I've played in a very long time. It makes me think back to my main disappointment with Twilight Princess, the sense of scale just wasn't any bigger than Ocarina of Time. Same with other Zelda games since then. Breath of the Wild feels like a massive step up from the OoT template.

My only complaint is the shoddy frame rate. I'm playing it on Wii U, not sure if the Switch is much better in that regard.

Ouch. One of Norways "biggest" (we dont have any big ones, really :P) gaming sites just put down their verdict for Zelda. I'm glad this site isn't big enough to hit the Metacritic score. Not that reviews matters. But still :P.

ztso40.png

Translation: Zelda is back, but not as revolutionizing as one would hope.

Edited by ArtMediocre