NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Spoiler-Free: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

A thread more so for impressions, expectations and objections without any specific story or location detail to the game, perhaps?

One thing Im anxious of is if Nintendo can keep Zelda at this standard and if so, how long will it take to get the next game....

Started playing it last night and fell in love almost instantly. My initial impressions are that there is so much variety in the gameplay coupled with so much freedom for the player. What really sets it apart from other open world games is its sense of humour and fun that's imbued in pretty much everything. I've only played the game for a couple of hours but have had numerous 'aha' moments when I figure out inventive ways to use items or reach new areas, the sense of freedom is such a remarkable change for the series but it still feels like Zelda.

Oh and the fact that it's 100% portable blows my mind.

Edited by killthenet

At the moment I'm alternating between loving the game and disliking it, or at least getting very frustrated. It's just too big. What's there is very good, and the reviewers did not exaggerate its quality, but it's a matter of taste as to whether you actually want that big a game.

Breakable weapons totally take away the thrill of getting a new one. It would be much better if they were non-breakable and the game just assumed you wanted the latest and greatest equipped... even if that meant there were 20 weapons for each category. I know it's a big game, and that makes it logical that there needs to be more gradual progression with weapon upgrades, but it doesn't explain the durability mechanic.

Nor am I keen on crafting. How do you know which recipes to use, which ingredients to keep or where to get the ingredients? Or the lack of rupees - what's the fun in having shops if you can't buy anything? How do you know what to sell, and what to keep for crafting?

I found a "puzzle" last night (not in a shrine), where I needed to use certain tools. But I didn't have that tool, and didn't know where to find it. I could have spent hours trying to find that equipment. In Ocarina of Time, Miyamoto would have left you all the equipment you needed nearby. You had to work out the puzzles yourself, but you had the tools.

It seems to me that most of the staff from the N64/GC days have left Nintendo, and they have employed a fresh bunch of young, talented programmers - good on the surface, but I wonder how much love they have for the OOT/MM/WW formula? It's like Miyamoto barely touched this game. I have an image of him and Aonuma hiding behind the sofa as the "kids" did their thing.

Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker had that perfect blend of size, pacing and storytelling, and were also quite forgiving. Twilight Princess wasn't quite as good, and was thus extremely controversial, but its heart was in the right place. I think Nintendo has been overreacting to that ever since, making the simple and linear Skyward Sword, and now the totally non-linear Breath of the Wild. Both are so extreme! What I don't think is appreciated, is that Twilight Princess was so controversial not because it was bad, but because it was slightly less than the 10/10, amazing games we had come to expect after OOT/MM/WW. All that was needed was a slight tweak... evolution, improvement.

What we have is a very successful attempt at making the ultimate open world game - impressive, but I don't see how we got here from OOT, WW and TP.

I am so glad they have rewritten the formula. Weren't people saying that Nintendo's franchises were becoming stale?

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the OoT formula but it was becoming a bit stale. Nintendo should be applauded for attempting something new. Skyward Sword was far too linear and way too simple.

Yes, this game you have to do experimentation but its better than being told what to do every 5 minutes and much more fulfilling when the player discovers things.

I have only scratched the surface of the game so i am not really to comment if the world is too big. Open world games often are. Witcher 3 is the same! Anyway, Hyrule being a kingdom should be more than Hyrule Castle, Lost Woods, Gerudo Desert, Lon lon Ranch, Lake, Kakriko Village and Death Montain. Modern gaming machines can now enable worlds to be created. This is what Hyrule should always have been!

The Zelda formula was in desperate need of a reboot, and this is it. They were purposefully not trying to copy OOT/TP/SS and the game is all the better for it. They're obviously great games but a fresh perspective was needed IMO. Personally I love the breakable weapons, I love how it forces you to strategise.

Also, I love how the towers only paint a map for you, they don't fill it with dozens of icons like other openworld games. It's up to the player to explore, and I love that.

My only criticisms are the framerate in tv mode (such a shame) and the controls/inventory management is a bit annoying.

Edited by Ronnie

The Zelda formula was in desperate need of a reboot, and this is it. They were purposefully not trying to copy OOT/TP/SS and the game is all the better for it. They're obviously great games but a fresh perspective was needed IMO. Personally I love the breakable weapons, I love how it forces you to strategise.

Also, I love how the towers only paint a map for you, they don't fill it with dozens of icons like other openworld games. It's up to the player to explore, and I love that.

My only criticisms are the framerate in tv mode (such a shame) and the controls/inventory management is a bit annoying.

I hardly ever do but I agree with your post 100%.

I can see why what you state does annoy and take away the experience for some people. However for me, like you it ads rather than takes away. Exploration in Zelda is fantastic! It is your adventure, there is no need for everything to be marked for you. i have marked myself where there are cooking pots, shrines I can't get to yet or other points of interest.

The breakable weapons albeit can be annoying does add strategy. Rather than mindlessly attacking bog standard enemies it makes people think.

Framerate is shocking though!!

Interesting how people attribute it to OoT as creating the formula when it was actually ALttP. :p (Makes sense though since OoT was the first 3D Zelda).

Edited by Ike

I am so glad they have rewritten the formula. Weren't people saying that Nintendo's franchises were becoming stale?

They were indeed. I never agreed with them, personally. I thought we needed a game world much more fluid than TP, and a little bit bigger, but I still liked the formula how it was.

This is what Hyrule should always have been!

Do you think they ever really wanted Hyrule to be that big though, or is Breath of the Wild more about copying the modern template for open world games? I would say this is lacking Miyamoto and Aonuma's tight sense of design (especially the former).

Anyway, it's all academic now, as my Switch has broken.

Do you think they ever really wanted Hyrule to be that big though, or is Breath of the Wild more about copying the modern template for open world games? I would say this is lacking Miyamoto and Aonuma's tight sense of design (especially the former).

I think they did want it to be a big world but former limitations inhibited it. For example the Great Sea is massive in its own right with comparatively minimal to do. Twilight Prinncess also wanted this but had to stick to the narrow pathways and loading for each region.

Personally this is the Zelda I've always wanted.

How Nintendo managed to craft this given its track record is magical. The games allows there to be so many variables to accomplish things - not just with the bespoke item ala all former Zeldas.

I find breakable weapons to be making me conscientious of managing my tools, saving the better ones for the harder battles, and if I don't have good stuff, I'll hunt monsters or shrines for some... Makes getting a great weapon so rewarding. I prefer this as opposed to having the ultimate weapon from mid point in the game and pretty much 3-shotting max most of the harder enemies.

Sad to see you're not completely sold on it though. Im just in awe and love.

I think I'm siding with @Grazza on this one.

But I'm not upset really, because about a year or so ago, I told myself "Glen, you're a devishlly handsome chap and this is gonna be a Zelda game in name only" And so far, I'm half right.

I went into this telling myself this isn't gonna be a Zelda game, and I'm fine with that. I wasted hours wasting time exploring both Xenoblades, this is right up my alley.

Hell, Hyrule Warriors is closer to traditional Zelda than BotW.

But to it's credit, it's an actual departure from the norm, unlike Pokemon Sun/Moon.

I haven't read or watched any reviews, or even previews, of Breath of the Wild as I feel like I want to go into the open world with an open mind! I've only skimmed through some of the posts above..

Open world games usually don't interest me with even revered titles like Red Dead Redemption basically boring me to tears between the markers on the map with what often feels like glorified, and frustratingly long, loading screens. The coat of Zelda paint, though, and the sprinkling of Nintendo magic is enough to lure me in, a feat Hyrule Warriors couldn't quite manage.

I feel like it's a good time for me to get absorbed in this game with no other games really occupying my time at the moment but I do fear that I may not enjoy it as much as I hope, especially due to a general preference for more focused, linear experiences. The more open Metal Gear Solid became, for example, the less I enjoyed the series and can't seem to stomach the thought of finally trying out The Phantom Pain.

It should be an interesting day when my Switch finally arrives :grin:

I haven't read or watched any reviews, or even previews, of Breath of the Wild as I feel like I want to go into the open world with an open mind! I've only skimmed through some of the posts above..

Open world games usually don't interest me with even revered titles like Red Dead Redemption basically boring me to tears between the markers on the map with what often feels like glorified, and frustratingly long, loading screens. The coat of Zelda paint, though, and the sprinkling of Nintendo magic is enough to lure me in, a feat Hyrule Warriors couldn't quite manage.

I feel like it's a good time for me to get absorbed in this game with no other games really occupying my time at the moment but I do fear that I may not enjoy it as much as I hope, especially due to a general preference for more focused, linear experiences. The more open Metal Gear Solid became, for example, the less I enjoyed the series and can't seem to stomach the thought of finally trying out The Phantom Pain.

It should be an interesting day when my Switch finally arrives :grin:

I've been fully immersed for all these three days like a crack addict... Still in awe, you're going to love it.

Usually theres a weak link in a game ie massive world - light story, uneven pacing, too much hand holding or tutorials... But this game...:love::love:

I've been fully immersed for all these three days like a crack addict... Still in awe, you're going to love it.

Usually theres a weak link in a game ie massive world - light story, uneven pacing, too much hand holding or tutorials... But this game...:love::love:

I've ran out of thanks :D

Rather than hunt down every tower early and fill the map out in one go I think I'm going to really take my time with each region and explore it fully before moving on to the next tower. I've spent 6+ hours in the Plateau and still don't feel like I know my way around that well!

Rather than hunt down every tower early and fill the map out in one go I think I'm going to really take my time with each region and explore it fully before moving on to the next tower. I've spent 6+ hours in the Plateau and still don't feel like I know my way around that well!

This is the approach I have taken and it is pretty much what I do to all open world games. I'm enjoying the exploring and the discovery.

Yeah, I'd hate to rush visiting the whole map, no need really.

Just spent a few hours playing. I finally moved on to the region east of the Plateau, and that's probably where I truly fell in love with this game. The Plateau was great but I'd basically seen most of it from E3 gameplay demos, Treehouse streams etc, whereas this place was totally brand new. Oh and it's twice the size!

Yeah, I'd hate to rush visiting the whole map, no need really.

Just spent a few hours playing. I finally moved on to the region east of the Plateau, and that's probably where I truly fell in love with this game. The Plateau was great but I'd basically seen most of it from E3 gameplay demos, Treehouse streams etc, whereas this place was totally brand new. Oh and it's twice the size!

Leaving the plateau after becoming so familiar with it is likened to leaving Kokiri Forest for the first time personally. Just magical. Really gives you that sense of seeking adventure but also caution for the dangers.

Absolutely and fully agree with all the praise in this topic. My personal and only frustration comes from the controls when I play undocked. After more than 20 hours with the game, I still incidentally press the wrong buttons or find myself looking at the controller to find the right buttons to press. This happens a lot with crouching when I want to run and with selecting different items/weapons, etc. When using the pro pad it happens far less while I've only used that for the first two hours.

It's just a minor issue though, because the game lures me back in with so much power that I want to master the controls and don't blame the game but instead push myself further to adapt to it. I haven't felt that way since Mario 64.

Agreeing with a lot of you in here about the exploration and doing it all step at a time; I'm really enjoying going at my own pace, currently following up on some conversations I eavesdropped on and am in the middle of nowhere, no objective markers to speak of just a hunch :)

Start my new job in a few hours so playing on the TV will be a luxury for me now...And yet I can play this as and when I get a break here and there, and tucked up in bed every (late) night, so I can keep chipping away at it :)

Yeah, I've barely touched the story but have spent so much time exploring.

This always happens with open world games, but Breath of the Wild brings it up to 11. It's just so open

This game is absolutely incredible. An amazing experience. Enormous. You can wander forever and do nothing and still love it. It took me ages just to find something relevant or doable and when I did it was just so amazing. What a game. I can't wait to go home and play some more.

I can't tell if it's the controls or the controller that I'm struggling with but that's the only real negative, and I'm getting better with time.

Yeah, the game is really really incredible. I hate open world games generally, but I'm finding myself wandering more than following the mission; but thats because I don't want to miss anything... But literally every single time I wander somewhere I find something, and it's incredibly satisfying, this is the spoiler free thread (and fuck going in the other one, already seen way too much in there) but some koroks, mini missions and secret shrines... everywhere. Never have I played a game which felt so alive before.

I even like the stuff that people hate - breakable weapons, the combat (I think the combat is amazing so really don't get this), even the rain stopping you from climbing.... Though I was on an epic mountain climb last night, half way up it started raining and I sensed @Hero\-of\-Time 's frustration then! But ultimately I enjoyed that frustration, like I couldn't continue anymore, all that hard work, it didn't feel like. waste of time, because I feel so apart of the the world.

Watched this video last night -

And sort of expresses how I feel. It kind of feels like I'm playing the best game I've ever played, but I don't want to admit it...

I think it's amazing how this game doesn't "hold your hand". The quests where you have to find locations or objects, a character will give you clues and, amazingly, the quest marker stays on them instead of instantly knowing where they are.

I found an area up north and worked out how to get past without a character telling me how to do you (yeah, fuck you Kaepora Gaebora) and that in itself is incredibly rewarding.

This game is absolutely incredible. An amazing experience. Enormous. You can wander forever and do nothing and still love it. It took me ages just to find something relevant or doable and when I did it was just so amazing. What a game. I can't wait to go home and play some more.

I can't tell if it's the controls or the controller that I'm struggling with but that's the only real negative, and I'm getting better with time.

Are you using the joycon grip?

I've missed clicked too many a time now, most annoying is the left joystick being pressed accidently to crouch mid-battle. I think its due to the small size of both the joysticks and shoulder buttons.

Just ordered me a pro controller, picking up at my local Argos.