NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Prey

Can't be arsed to do a proper OP.

Some context though: this started out as a sequel to the old FPS game Prey, and actually has a thread here. But it went through development hell, finally was given to the studio behind Dishonored, and they reimagined it into something entirely different, and not connected to the original title. So I decided to start a new thread.

This latest version: I've heard it described as Deus Ex versus Bioshock (and again, from the creators of Dishonored).

You're some poor chap on a spacestation, when aliens invade. You can increase several skills, some "human", like proficiency with weapons, or technical skills, others are alien, which you can get from the aliens themselves. One example is an alien which can shapeshift into anything (even simple items), and you'll be able to as well.

Release is 05-05-2017. I probably won't be able to play right away, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

You're some poor chap on a spacestation, when aliens invade.
Sounds really epic and never done before.

Played it for a bit:

Great atmosphere, interesting setting, intriguing story, awesome music (albeit a bit LOUD :D).

But, the controls don't work. They are based on Dishonored 2 but in Prey these controls are way too clunky for combat. Because of that I won't get the game anytime soon.

Played it for a bit:

Great atmosphere, interesting setting, intriguing story, awesome music (albeit a bit LOUD :D).

But, the controls don't work. They are based on Dishonored 2 but in Prey these controls are way too clunky for combat. Because of that I won't get the game anytime soon.

The controls are absolutely horrific. Arkane have already responded and said that the acceleration curves will be "fixed" by launch, but that just begs the question, why put out an unrepresentative demo?

Other than that, this game seems like totally my jam. Dishonored in a space settings.

The controls are absolutely horrific. Arkane have already responded

Had a double take and then realised it wasn't just you being you

On 4/28/2017 at 9:54 PM, drahkon said:

But, the controls don't work. They are based on Dishonored 2 but in Prey these controls are way too clunky for combat. 

The "clunkiness" is still present but the input lag has been reduced. It's still noticeable but nothing majorly irritating. I think I can accept that.

I'm digging the atmosphere. I still haven't left the "demo area" so I kind of know what to expect for now but I can see myself enjoying all of Prey.

Well I almost pissed my pants.
Just as I got "comfortable" with mimics jumping at me (I do sometimes still flinch, though...) the following happened:

Spoiler

Needless to say, I turned the game off and decided to look at pictures of cute baby animals.

This game will probably be the first horror game I'll ever complete...maybe it'll give me the strength to finally play some others 

Finished the story just now.

Took me only 10 hours because I couldn't be arsed to do any side missions. The gameplay didn't suit the enemies. Controls were too clunky, fighting was too slow and enemies were too quick.

Story didn't really get going.

All in all, disappointing. I liked the atmosphere and the premise but it didn't really go anywhere. Maybe if I had gone for a better ending...but I just didn't want to.

As it stands now I'm happy that I only paid 12 bucks for it. Doubt I'll put the disc in ever again. ::shrug:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You ain't having any luck playing games that you enjoy at the moment. :D 

True :D 

It's a shame because I tried to get out of my gaming lull with Chrono Trigger and Prey.

Third time's a charm, eh? Now to decide what to play next...

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

True :D 

It's a shame because I tried to get out of my gaming lull with Chrono Trigger and Prey.

Third time's a charm, eh? Now to decide what to play next...

When I'm in a slump I tend to play something that I've already played and that I know I love. Link to the Past and Super Mario World are my go to games.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

When I'm in a slump I tend to play something that I've already played and that I know I love. Link to the Past and Super Mario World are my go to games.

Yeah, I was toying with the idea of another playthrough of one of my favourite games :D 

Sign in to follow this