NEurope

My predictions for the live conference (not in order):

Just realised that there's no Ni No Kuni 2 on that list. I wonder if we will see a PS4 version of the original game before the sequel is released?

Gaf have started early with the gifs this year. :D

B3PHl2A.gif

Just realised that there's no Ni No Kuni 2 on that list.

There are so many games on the horizon for the PS4...I can't keep up :(

I wonder if we will see a PS4 version of the original game before the sequel is released?

I'd need new pants if they announced a remaster...

I'm also holding on to a very tiny glimmer of hope that we'll see a PSVita 2

If that were ever to be announced I would imagine TGS would be a more suitable show for it's reveal. I'd love another Sony handheld.

If that were ever to be announced I would imagine TGS would be a more suitable show for it's reveal.

Tease it at E3, fully reveal it at TGS. A man can hope :(

I'd love another Sony handheld.

I'd give your Switch for another new Sony handheld :p

Geoff Keighley is setting up a bunch of stuff at E3 this year.

22 years ago, I walked into the first E3 as a wide-eyed 15-year-old kid who didn’t quite know his place in the world. E3 Expo brought my hobby out of my computer and into mainstream culture.

To be honest, the spectacle of E3 convinced me that I should devote my career to this incredible medium. I also marveled I was even allowed to walk the show floor. You see I wasn’t a legal attendee. I was only 15, so I had to carry a little permission letter in my pocket from the head of E3, which I proudly brandished to the security guards tasked with enforcing the 18-and-older age limit.

E3 Coliseum, June 13–14, The Novo at L.A. Live

Today, after attending all 22 E3s, I’m excited to announce the E3 COLISEUM. I’m teaming up with E3 to bring the culture of games to life through two days of panels, conversations, talks and other surprises.

For the past six months, we’ve quietly been working with all the major game teams to curate special presentations that will take place at The Novo at L.A. Live on Tuesday, June 13 and Wednesday, June 14. Thousands of fans will get to attend in person. If you aren’t at E3, the sessions will stream live around the world. You’ll also be able to ask questions to the panelists on Facebook.

Alongside presentations from game developers, we will also welcome some very special guests from the broader entertainment world. They’ll join us to speak about the cultural significance of gaming and how this incredible medium has influenced their work. Lots of surprises in store here. We will be sharing more details in the coming weeks about the speaker lineup for E3 COLISEUM.

Sometimes I get jaded and forgot how cool it is that E3 will be open to the public for the first time this year. Just last week, for instance, I met a young Russian couple in New York who told me how excited they are to finally attend E3. The E3 Coliseum will only make E3 more exciting to fans, as it create an opportunity to see the world’s top game creators and special guests live on stage.

Stay tuned for more news soon on the games that will be there, but today we can tease that you will see major panels hosted by some of the world’s top game publishers including Activision, Bethesda Softworks, Gearbox Publishing, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and Xbox, with more to be announced in the coming weeks. All these publishers understand that our industry is stronger when we unite at E3 to showcase the most powerful form of entertainment in the world.

Hope to see you on June 13 at E3 COLISEUM!

Geoff Keighley

Given that Nintendo is missing from the list, I guess they don't agree. :D

I'm not sure if we'll see anything like that as early as E3 but I wouldn't be at all surprised if later in the year Sony reveal that a 'PS4 Go' is in development that is basically a handheld version of the PS4 and something that could be sold before and throughout the life of the PS5 as their portable device.

It wouldn't be something I'm really looking for but showing off something like that before Christmas could really damage the prospects of the Switch (and that's the main reason why I hope they don't do it :heh:)

There's no way we'll see a new Sony handheld anytime in the next 10 years, if ever.

They don't have to release one. They're doing very well in the console market. And right now there is no way they could compete with the Switch unless they really do create a handheld version of the PS4.

Edited by drahkon

My E3 2017 predictions

Electronic Arts Saturday 10th June, 12PM PDT; 8PM BST

- FIFA 18, Madden 18, and NBA Live 2017 gameplay and trailers to be shown (emphasis on graphics, etc., as always); I personally don't foresee EA being present in-person during the Nintendo livestream for FIFA Switch, but can't see them presenting the game during EA Play either: my best guess would be a gameplay/CG trailer to be shown during the Nintendo livestream.

- Need for Speed 2017 gameplay and trailer to be shown.

- Star Wars Battlefront II gameplay and trailer to be shown; like Battlefield 1 last year, I think we will see a few matches demoed, with a heavy emphasis on 40-player matches set in the prequel trilogy. We will more than likely see a first tease for Visceral's Star Wars game (if I remember correctly, this is scheduled for next year), and possibly have other updates on EA's Star Wars licensed games.

- Bioware is reportedly working on an 'MMO-lite' sci-fi game to rival Destiny and The Division. Though this will more than likely be a new IP (Bioware is still supporting The Old Republic last I checked), I think it's worth suggesting that this could be a new Star Wars MMO to replace The Old Republic (why start a new IP when you have the license to arguably the most well known piece of sci-fi [space fantasy opera]?).

Microsoft Xbox Sunday 11th June, 2PM PDT; 10PM BST

As someone who doesn't own an Xbox One, this conference doesn't exactly excite me, but I will be tuning in to get a better idea of what they're doing with Project Scorpio after Digital Foundry's piece on the hardware a few weeks back piqued my interest. I predict that the aforementioned Battlefront II, Forza Motorsport 7, and the next installment of the Tomb Raider franchise will be utilised during this presentation to demonstrate the graphical fidelity of the system, as well as Halo 6 or Gears of War 5 being announced at some point during their presentation (lacking a console exclusive FPS wouldn't exactly be helping this system sell). I also expect that we'll be getting some news on Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3.

Part of me feels like Red Dead Redemption 2 would rather turn up at this presentation than at Sony's, and especially so if it gets to be used as one of many graphical comparisons between the One and Scorpio.

Bethesda Sunday 11th June, 7PM PDT; Monday 12th June, 3AM BST

As always, I think it's safe to expect an update on The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, and I think we'll see more of Quake Champions.

They teased it last year, so why not follow through with it this year? I imagine Wolfenstein: A New Colossus will be announced during their presentation, and considering how quick their turnaround is from a game announcement to release, I wouldn't be surprised if this is game were to be released within the year (my best guess would be Q2 2018). The reason I say within the year - as opposed to being released this year - is because I think that The Evil Within 2 will be also be announced during their presentation, for an October/November release this year.

Sony PlayStation Monday 12th June, 6PM PDT; Tuesday 13th June, 2AM BST

Like others have said: I do not want to see anything from Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, and would much rather have Kojima Productions go quiet for a year or two - like Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild - to focus on game development, unless they somehow - miraculously - have gameplay to share with us, which almost certainly - I imagine - won't be the case. The same, I'm afraid, goes for The Last Of Us Part II, and I think Naughty Dog knows better than to just tease us to no end unless, of course, they have some gameplay to show.

Other first party content more than likely to feature are: Ni no Kuni II: REVENANT KINGDOM, Days Gone, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Spider-Man (they're missing out on a lot of sales if this isn't released before Christmas, in my opinion), Dreams, GT Sport, the new God of War, Detroit: Become Human, and likely a steady stream of 5 - 10 VR titles, including Farpoint.

I hope that Final Fantasy VII Remake gameplay footage and a trailer will be shown, with Part/Episode I announced for release in November/December of 2017 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the franchise and the 20th anniversary of the original game (if this doesn't happen, though, I won't be too shocked with Namora involved, but they have been fairly quiet since PSX 2015 where localised footage was shown). I also think that this game may have a version where it's bundled with the PS4 remaster of the original, and that a separate Final Fantasy I - IX Collection will also be revealed for release this year.

Destiny 2 and Call of Duty: WWII will likely be rather prominent during the presentation too.

*Ubisoft TBC; likely Monday 12th June PDT

The reveal of the new Assassin's Creed game seems likely, as do possible returns to the Splinter Cell and Farcry franchises. For Honor and Rainbow Siege Six have done some interesting things with multiplayer lately, so I wouldn't mind the reveal of a new multiplayer-focused IP (or just a separate new IP altogether). Sadly, when it comes to Ubisoft at the moment, it's a case of 'well, what have you done for me lately?' (and, spoiler: it's not a lot).

*Nintendo TBC; likely to be a Treehouse livestream event that will start Tuesday 13th June PDT

I think it goes without saying that Super Mario Odyssey is a HUUUUUGE toe-in for the treatment that Breath of the Wild got at last year's E3: playable on the floor, streamed on Treehouse and given a new gameplay trailer (let me just mention here that I love how Nintendo comes out with 100% gameplay trailers as opposed to the mostly cutscene/CG stuff that we see from other developers). In fact, I'd go so far as suggesting that it could be a toe-in for Game of the show if given the treatment Zelda was last year.

Considering that Nintendo's presence at E3 will be followed shortly after this year by the release of ARMS, I think it's possible that we see this game as another one playable on the floor (an alternative to the 2-hour lines waiting for Odyssey) and, in fact, seeing as it's so close to release an that this E3 will be welcoming the public, I wouldn't be too shocked if Nintendo had the game available for purchase during the conference, or held a competition to win the game. Now that would be a genius move on their half! In fact, it's even possible that Splatoon 2 could get a similar treatment in that it could be playable on the floor.

In terms of other first party games, I'd expect some potentially major announcements (Metroid or Donkey Kong? Kirby?), as I don't think they'll only be focusing on one game like they did last year, and may even update us on Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, the currently untitled Fire Emblem Switch and Project Mekuru. I'd also expect news on more Wii U ports after the barnstorm success of Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, potentially including Smash or Pokkén Tournament.

They'll more than likely also share news on third party ports (Skyrim, FIFA Switch) as well as other third party endeavours (I'm looking forward to news on Square Enix's Project Octopath Traveller in particular).

We're also expecting a lot of news on the Switch's paid-for online capabilities and a look at the Virtual Console, with Pokémon Gold/Silver and Smash Bros Melee widely sought after. And - dare I say it? - Mother 3?

Other previously announced games that could turn up just about anywhere at this year's E3: Capcom's Marvel v Capcom: Infinite and Deep Down; Konami's Metal Gear Survive and PES2018; Warner Bros. Interactive's Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (they're also rumoured to have another Arkham game in the works); and CD Projekt Red's Cyberpunk 2077.

Edited by Julius Caesar

Great predictions. I can't wait for E3!

Edited by 130131301364

My predictions:

- Exclusive content

- Sweaty, hirsuit, bespectacled presenters who deliver obscure community in-jokes in an overly-eager fashion, fostering an atmosphere of pity which is bookended by apathetic applause

- Empty feeling of disappointment despite efforts to temper expectations prior to the event

- EXCLOOOSIVE CONTENT

Can't wait.

From the Nintendo at E3 thread (thanks @Hero\-of\-Time for putting it up there :grin:)

C_i1b7wWAAACEHN.jpg

Awesome that my prediction for ARMS and Splatoon 2 having tournaments at the event is confirmed, I'm looking forward to learning plenty more about these games!

For anyone wondering, that means that the Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 will be taking place at 17:00 BST on Tuesday 13th and 08:00 PDT (local time), which definitely hints that Ubisoft's presentation will likely be in the afternoon on Monday, starting somewhere between 13:00 - 16:00 PDT once again (20:00 - 23:00 BST).

EDIT: Nintendo's E3 website design is definitely worth checking out too (just because of how smooth it all is)

Edited by Julius Caesar

343 Industries has confirmed that Halo 6 will not be making an appearance at E3 this year, but have hinted at something for fans.

The next Gears of War could be imminent for an E3 reveal alongside the Scorpio, with an exclusive FPS experience for Xbox an absolute must - in my eyes - this fall if Microsoft are serious about trying to turn the tide with the Scorpio.

Edited by Julius Caesar

343 Industries has confirmed that Halo 6 will not be making an appearance at E3 this year, but have hinted at something for fans.

The next Gears of War could be imminent for an E3 reveal alongside the Scorpio, with an exclusive FPS experience for Xbox an absolute must - in my eyes - this fall if Microsoft are serious about trying to turn the tide with the Scorpio.

I'd be very surprised if a new Gears is shown. The latest game in the series just got released last year. The game wouldn't even be a year old by the time E3 rolls around.

To be honest, not showing Gears/Halo/Forza could be the best thing for them right now. Microsoft have been relying on these properties for far too long now and if Scorpio is to be successful they need to show they've invested in creating new and exciting IPs to go alongside the ones they already have.

I'm dying to see more of Sea of Thieves from Rare!

On the Nintendo side I hope they have learned from Sony's last couple of conferences and have a couple of big surprises lined up alongside plenty of release dates

On the flip side, I hope Sony have learned from Nintendo's last few shows to not put up hype trailers for games 3-4+ years away. Much prefer the shorter reveal > release scheduling Nintendo tend to do most of the time, or at least try to.

On the flip side, I hope Sony have learned from Nintendo's last few shows to not put up hype trailers for games 3-4+ years away. Much prefer the shorter reveal > release scheduling Nintendo tend to do most of the time, or at least try to.

You need both, which is what the other consoles do and what Nintendo don't do so well. The whole point of showing games off that are to be released much further on down the line is that it gives the gamer the knowledge that there is going to be a supply of games coming on that system on a long-term basis. It's also good for the third parties because they know that the audience will still be there in 3/4 years time because the games will still keep coming. You can't go on a month-by-month basis and expect to keep people interested over a longer period of time, especially if the better games are few and far between.

You need both, which is what the other consoles do and what Nintendo don't do so well.

Really? Looking at the big games at last year's Sony show:

God of War - 2018 game, likely two years after reveal

Days Gone - at the earliest released a year and a half after reveal

Horizon Zero Dawn - revealed in 2015, released nearly two years later

Detroit - Announced in 2015, likely release in 2018

Resident Evil 7: release within a year, great!

Crash - remaster, out soon

Wipeout - remaster, out soon

Death Stranding - years away

Spider Man - 1-2 years away

Then there was the whole Shenmue, FF7 Remake and Last Guardian thing that got people so excited in 2015. Haven't heard a thing about Shenmue since, FF7 still isn't out and Last Guardian only took a decade and ended up being a bit meh.

I agree with your broader point but completely disagree that others do it well and Nintendo don't, especially when you consider the Switch reveal has limited their ability to show far off games for the last year or two.

Could not disagree more.

Why wouldn't you show FF7 and Shenmue literally the moment they are conceived and you know they are coming to your console. The fact they are some years off is completely irrelevant.

Think about it - Sony are in direct competition with the Xbox. The vast majority of people are probably only going to buy one system at most owing to cost/subscriptions/closed friend networks. Why wouldn't you show off games somewhat far off in the future if it means people will buy your console over your competitor. FF7 is a fan's wet dream - a lot of people are going to want to buy a PS4 over an Xbox if it means they can play their multiplatform games now and then FF7 in a few years.

Beyond this being good for Sony, it's also good for fans and the system's future. Tell me that you wouldn't feel happier if you knew right now that a sweet looking 3D Metroid and main full-size Pokémon title were coming to Switch in 3 years. You would at the very least know that your Switch purchase was totally going to be worth it and no doubt more people would get excited and jump on board to buy a system they know they'll be picking up anyway.

Edited by Sheikah

I can't imagine anything worse than being teased about a game and then having to wait two or three years to play it. It makes good business sense, that's why Sony do it, but I suspect most gamers would prefer what happened with Fallout 4.

I much prefer Nintendo's way of doing things, focus on the next 6-12 months and show a couple of games further out to wet the appetite. As opposed to Sony's "all these games are 1, 2, 3 years or more away, enjoy!" approach. There's a balance to be struck and I think Nintendo have gotten closest to striking it, excluding the last couple of years when the secrecy around the Switch hindered their ability to talk too far ahead. Sony used to do it well, but the last couple of years they seem to only be focusing on far off titles and temporary buzz to win them fans.

I can't imagine anything worse than being teased about a game and then having to wait two or three years to play it.

That is a very strange reaction given that's how the overwhelming majority of games come to be.

Patience is also a virtue.

I can't imagine anything worse than being teased about a game and then having to wait two or three years to play it...

Zelda.

@Sheikah is right, you need a mix, you need to get people to buy into the console and knowing there'll be a decent future line-up is a good way to do it.

Zelda.

@Sheikah is right, you need a mix, you need to get people to buy into the console and knowing there'll be a decent future line-up is a good way to do it.

I know you need a mix, I said as much. My point was that Sony didn't provide a good enough mix last year. All their big games always seem to be announced for 2+ years later.

As for "Zelda"

I much prefer Nintendo's way of doing things, focus on the next 6-12 months and show a couple of games further out to wet the appetite.

The word is 'whet', just for future usage.

I do think Nintendo fall slightly on the 'overly secretive' side a bit. But I suppose it works with Apple, and it worked with the Switch, so maybe that's what they're going for?

The word is 'whet', just for future usage.

I do think Nintendo fall slightly on the 'overly secretive' side a bit. But I suppose it works with Apple, and it worked with the Switch, so maybe that's what they're going for?

I agree that it could work for Nintendo. But to comment on the previous points made, it's pretty much inarguable that Sony are smashing it, so it doesn't make sense for Ronnie to say that Sony need to learn something from Nintendo with regards to showing off games to draw in/sate customers. Clearly what they've been doing is working very well. Why would they want to adopt Nintendo's cack-handed ways?

Sony and Nintendo are also in totally different positions (the former doing gangbusters with an already established library), so there's no reason to assume one should be following the other's way of doing things. For instance, Nintendo are mostly floating their own console with their games whereas Sony and Microsoft have a great deal of third party support. Thus, the way Nintendo control the release of information about new games will and should be different to the competition.

Edited by Sheikah

Geoff Keighley is setting up a bunch of stuff at E3 this year.

Probably enjoyed that quote of his more than anything else I know about E3 2017 so far :p Don't know much about him tbh but his passion in that quote, and comments on E3 being opened to the public, kinda reminded me how great it is to be a gamer sometimes; even if I am incredibly lapsed compared to my younger days ;)

As for the actual event etc - interested to see what Nintendo bring but not going in with much expectation. Not much particular love or loyalty to anyone else but will obvs be interested in what stuff gets announced for PS4 and if any of it's up my street - think it's probably only that Spiderman game I can think of that excites me about it atm!