NEurope

E3 Opens To The Public For The First Time Ever

For the first time ever, E3 is opening its doors to the public. The Entertainment Software Association, which organizes the event every year, announced today that an allotment of 15,000 tickets will be made available for anyone to buy this coming Monday, February 13.

Priced at $250 (or $150 as part of an early bird discount available on February 13), tickets provide access to the show floor, panel discussions, and other events from Tuesday through Thursday of E3 week. The ESA will partnerwith games media veteran Geoff Keighley to provide attendees with access to special benefits associated with Keighley's own E3 programming, such as developer interviews and more. Full details on this and other elements of E3's new public plans will be announced in the coming weeks.

For years now, there have been calls to open E3 to the public. The ESA conducted an experiment of sorts for this in 2016 with its E3 Live event, which was free and open to the public. It was located outside of the Los Angeles Convention Center, the site of E3, and attendees could go hands-on with upcoming games and take part in other events. There was "incredible attendee enthusiasm" for this event, the ESA's senior VP of communications, Rich Taylor, tells GameSpot. So the next step was to invite fans to actually walk the halls of E3 and get closer to the action.

"The feedback we heard was clear--they wanted to play the games inside the convention center. In addition, exhibitors inside the convention center wanted to have access to the fans. So this year we're bringing the two together," Taylor said.

"It's a changing industry, and E3 has always evolved to meet industry needs and anticipate where we’re heading together--as an event, as an industry, and as fans. The decision to open our doors to 15,000 fans was a strategic decision. It is thanks to our members and their vision and leadership that made this possible. We have a model that allows the business of the industry to continue for our business and media attendees and provides an opportunity for video games' biggest fans to experience the latest in innovative, immersive entertainment."

Every year, it seems, the question comes up, "Is E3 still relevant?" A number of companies pulled out of E3 2016, including Activision and EA. Certainly, the industry is changing, and gaming shows like E3, Gamescom, and PAX--which has always been open to the public--remain popular. Taylor says E3 faces "the relevancy question" every year because it's the year's juggernaut when it comes to gaming shows.

"I think there are those who always enjoy questioning those at the top of the leaderboard," he says. "E3 has a reputation around the world as the place where video game hardware and software launches happen. Last year, E3 generated more than 65 billion media impressions around the globe. That doesn't happen accidentally, and it's a testament to E3's strength, its connection to the fans, and the event's position in the industry."

Taylor says the ESA is always listening to feedback and welcomes the ongoing discussion.

"I think asking, 'How can we improve?' 'Where are video games headed?' 'How do we connect with fans?' are all healthy questions, and that helps ensure E3 stays current and meets exhibitors' needs," he said.

In addition to the standard passes, business passes will be available. These provide access to a business lounge and preferred entry to the convention center, among other things. The ESA anticipates that this will be appealing to lawyers, analysts, executives, and advertisers.

E3 is a constantly evolving show. It isn't known yet if E3 2018 will be open to the public, but Taylor says you should think about this year's event as a "commitment of where [the ESA is] heading and [its] desire to respond to exhibitors and consumers."

E3 2017 takes place June 13-15. More than 200 exhibitors are lined up to attend the event--"leading companies from around the world," Taylor says. Bear in mind that the list of exhibitors on E3's website is not final, as discussions with publishers remain ongoing.

E3 is staying in Los Angeles, at the Los Angeles Convention Center, through 2021.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-opens-to-the-public-for-the-first-time-ever/1100-6447663/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. E3 is already pretty packed, even though it's getting smaller with not as many developers attending as previous years. Adding 15,000 more to the field could be a nightmare for everyone, including the press.

I dunno, there were loads of people talking about how oddly empty it was last year. I would say this is a direct reaction to that.

Was anyone else under the impression it always has been and there was just a few press days and then a few public days or is that just me...?

Was anyone else under the impression it always has been and there was just a few press days and then a few public days or is that just me...?

Nope, that's exactly the impression I was under as well.

Either way, it's good that it's finally being more properly opened up I guess but I still wouldn't get to go to it as I'm resigned to the fact that it's too far to travel and too much money. ::shrug:

Still love E3 though, yes it does make it a busy week for us - or at least it did when Nintendo were attending on stage - but you've got to love the hype! :D

Also, I've just been reminded why I've booked my next, next week off as the 12th of June about a year ago... the same reason I try to book it off every year, E3! :)

For some reason I've been looking at the dates thinking "why did I book so early in June?" it's nice to remember these things at a later date.

Edited by S.C.G

I did find myself looking at LA travel packages after I saw the news and I was tempted. Unfortunately it's way too close to a work event that we've been working on for a year now so I'd never be able to get the time off.

[tweet]829402823989227520[/tweet]

[tweet]829403024543977474[/tweet]

I did find myself looking at LA travel packages after I saw the news and I was tempted. Unfortunately it's way too close to a work event that we've been working on for a year now so I'd never be able to get the time off.

[tweet]829402823989227520[/tweet]

Meh. People I know who have been have said it's nice and all but the city is chaotic, the event moreso and everything is overpriced. I think travelling internationally for it is only really considerable if you have a lot of money or reeeeally want to play these things, many of which will end up at shows closer to home.

This.

I was hoping they would at least keep an industry only day as they do with TGS. TGS is awful on the public days but great to attend when it's just industry. I think this move, if they don't change anything, will make E3 absolute hell.

Have been wondering if I should bother going this year, this news makes me less likely to, but will depend on what the exhibitor attendance is like I think.

Floor plans for this years show have surfaced over on Gaf.

South Hall

022600963_targetfloorrjajw.png

West Hall

022600963_targetfloorggyvf.png

Concourse Hall

022600963_targetfloorcra99.png

Sony and Nintendo side by side in massive booths. Meanwhile, Microsoft have a much smaller setup and have changed location from previous years. It seems small for someone who will be showing off their new console.

I honestly had to look closely to find Microsoft's area. That is a bit strange, I wonder what's going on there.

I honestly had to look closely to find Microsoft's area. That is a bit strange, I wonder what's going on there.

I've been hearing for quite some time that Microsoft want out of the console business. That they want to sell the Xbox brand. Not strange considering that the original Xbox was supposed to be a multimedia device, not a console.

Nintendo confirmed they won't be holding a live conference.

Finally, the video game tradeshow E3 will be held in

Los Angeles this June. Again this year, we will not

be hosting a large-scale press conference for

institutional investors, analysts and the media.

Nintendo of America will present further information

on our plans at a later date.

Yeah, yeah, about five people are surprised at this point. But still.

Nintendo confirmed they won't be holding a live conference.

Yeah, yeah, about five people are surprised at this point. But still.

It's expected, because that's how Nintendo are these days. But still, it's pretty lame.

Was thinking about what we can expect from Sony this E3. Pretty sure we won't see a lot of new games.

My predictions for the live conference (not in order):

• PSVR (3 minutes, if any at all)
  • God of War footage
  • Crash Bandicoot footage
  • Call of Duty WWII segment (timed exclusive DLC, big marketing, etc)
  • Spider Man footage
  • Days Gone footage
  • Detroid: Become Human footage
  • another Death Stranding trailer (maybe)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake footage
  • Shenmue 3 footage
  • Horizon Zero Dawn DLC
  • 2-3 minutes of indie games
  • one or two new games (maybe)

Release dates for some of those games. At least two have to be in 2017, unless there are some big hitters releasing at the end of 2017? Haven't followed what's in store for the PS4 in the second half of this year. Looking empty or solid?

Anyway. I'd be more than satisfied with the PS4 line-up if my prediction comes true (including some release date confirmations).

Edited by drahkon

I hope they don't show any more of Death Stranding or The Last Of Us Part II because those games are a couple of years away at least. I think FF7 and Shenmue have to be playable in some form at the event considering they were announced 2 years ago but I don't expect either of them to actually release this year. I hope we get some info on the RE2 remake as well, hopefully that is due for release this year, otherwise I don't really have any hopes for the Sony conference, I expect it will be a great show with a couple of surprises but I can't think of anything that I'm really hoping they do.

On the Nintendo side I hope they have learned from Sony's last couple of conferences and have a couple of big surprises lined up alongside plenty of release dates for titles that have already been announced and obviously announcement of the virtual console but hope they don't make too big a deal out of it, it should just be an aside inbetween big announcements.

I really don't know what to expect from Microsoft, other than the Scorpio reveal. They could have no Xbox Exclusives or could have pulled a few strings with third parties and have a tonne to announce, their conference could go either way.

I'm just going to go into it with low/no expectations. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the games turning up like you mention, @drahkon. But, I also won't be disappointed if they don't appear. I just hope that the big three put on a show worth watching. I'm looking forward to it.

The first half of this year has been insane with all of the big releases. I just hope that the second half has some stuff there to carry on that momentum.

Looking forward to doing the annual E3 + Chinese food evening. :D

Was thinking about what we can expect from Sony this E3. Pretty sure we won't see a lot of new games.

My predictions for the live conference (not in order):

• PSVR (3 minutes, if any at all)
  • God of War footage
  • Crash Bandicoot footage
  • Call of Duty WWII segment (timed exclusive DLC, big marketing, etc)
  • Spider Man footage
  • Days Gone footage
  • Detroid: Become Human footage
  • another Death Stranding trailer (maybe)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake footage
  • Shenmue 3 footage
  • Horizon Zero Dawn DLC
  • 2-3 minutes of indie games
  • one or two new games (maybe)

Release dates for some of those games. At least two have to be in 2017, unless there are some big hitters releasing at the end of 2017? Haven't followed what's in store for the PS4 in the second half of this year. Looking empty or solid?

Anyway. I'd be more than satisfied with the PS4 line-up if my prediction comes true (including some release date confirmations).

I think all of those are safe bets. I imagine Destiny 2 will have a big spot in their conference, as will Gran Turismo Sport. I'm hoping we get at least one big surprise from them.

I'm wondering if we could see an overhaul of the PS+ system? the quality of games for the Vita and PS3 section has been dire for months and it's obvious they are scraping the barrel with these offerings.

Like @killthenet said, I hope they keep Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part 2 away from conferences until nearer the release date.

As for the others, i'm looking forward to see what Microsoft bring to the table. It's all well and good releasing the most powerful console out there but if you haven't got the software to back it up then it's a useless endeavour. Hopefully they've got multiple exclusives on the cards.

Nintendo is a complete wildcard and i've given up trying to guess what they will do at E3. I could say they will have a good amount of games on offer at the show but then they could pull an E3 2016 and say Mario will be the only thing shown. :D Still, if we have Mario Odyssey, the rumoured Pokemon Stars, Mario + Rabbids, Retro's reveal and a few unique indie game reveals, i'll be satisfied. It they announce a solid 2017 date for Xenoblade 2 ( still not hopeful for a 2017 Western release ) then i'll be over the moon.

I think all of those are safe bets. I imagine Destiny 2 will have a big spot in their conference, as will Gran Turismo Sport. I'm hoping we get at least one big surprise from them.

Can't believe I forgot those two. Destiny 2 will be 10 minutes, at least.

Yeah, one big surprise would be great, even though the line-up so far is awesome.

I'm wondering if we could see an overhaul of the PS+ system? the quality of games for the Vita and PS3 section has been dire for months and it's obvious they are scraping the barrel with these offerings.

But what could they do?

I want Metroid.

Watch Retro's big secret game be another Donkey Kong Country. Gotta complete the trilogy. :D

But what could they do?

I've honestly got no idea.

I've honestly got no idea.

They could remove/reduce the amount of PSVita/PS3 games but that would piss me off, because even though the quality was lackluster in recent months I still got enjoyment out of some of them.

However, if they do that they should increase the amount of PS4 games we get. I'm not sure how the community would react, though. Maybe the majority would be fine if we get more "AAA" PS4 titles with PS+?

Haven't talked about what I expect/"want" from Microsoft or Nintendo :D

Microsoft: Don't care. I am completely indifferent to what they've been doing for years now ::shrug:

Nintendo: As every year I'm going in with absolutely no expectations so they can only surprise me. :)

I'd like to see a shitload of new games that will be out by Christmas 2018 so I can get a Switch with enough games to last me a while. : peace:

The PS+ system should be overhauled, heck even if it means reducing the PSVita/PS3 game offerings down to 1 a month, and maybe adding 1 more to the PS4 or perhaps offering a AAA title and an Indie title each month. There has been some wanting the PSNow service integrated with PS+, but with a small price rise to incorporate this/including 1 game a month for free, and if you wanted to play more then you go for the sub.

As for the rest of E3 this year. It's a pretty safe bet with the game list above from Sony. Hopefully there's something new coming from Sony, like a new IP as a surprise. Microsoft, i'm expecting more from Scorpio and 1 or 2 new IP's being shown off. Nintendo, i'm expecting more from Mario, Splatoon and perhaps news on a Smash port coming.

[TWEET]859836658551848962[/TWEET]

Hype!

Looks like it's another stupid o'clock in the morning viewing for us Europeans.

Yup, 3 am for me. :indeed:

Looks like it'll be a long night yet again. :D