NEurope

[TWEET]873920094346162176[/TWEET]

This thing could be DOA at that price. They better have some killer software on shown to justify it.

Yeah, the Scorpio coming out at that price seriously puts PlayStation and Nintendo in a better position to push their preferred consoles (the Switch and PS4 Pro, respectively) this Christmas season than it does Microsoft, in terms of numbers; if Switch production gets kicked up, both it and the Slim could be knocked back to $250, and the Pro could be kicked back to $300 (I actually expect PlayStation to announce such a price cut coming into effect in response on Tuesday morning, or later in the year at TGS). Likewise, of course, the Xbox One S could receive a permanent drop too.

From my point of view, the Scorpio's tech is coming a bit too early for it to be a major success, with 4K TVs/monitors unlikely to have a justifiable price tag to more casual gamers and TV users, at least, for a few more years, and Xbox could be facing an uphill battle for a while.

However, I do think there's a long-term plan regarding the Scorpio and the next generation of consoles (pure speculation) as the technological leap from generation to generation narrows: very simply, the Scorpio could be future proof with such processing power available, and, with the next generation of consoles expected in 2019/2020, could, technically speaking, be capable of playing next-genartion games (obviously at a lower fidelity compared to the PS5 and Xbox Two, but more likely similar to the difference in fidelity between the Xbox One and Scorpio, with processing and visual capabilities being upgraded).

Just my speculation, and of course we'll have to see how it pays off in the years to come, but it would then put them in a position to launch a new console later on than the PS5, meaning that we could then see them return the favour to Sony by undercutting their launch price substantially. It would have been relatively easy to go head-on with the Pro with a similar console, put the time, research and development put into Project Scorpio fills me with some confidence that this isn't at all a "mid-generation refresh" and part of a longer and larger strategy to pass PlayStation in the years to come.

And, of course, great titles, with marketing, if not console, exclusivity is required for this all to start off, so I'm very intrigued by what we'll see later, that's for sure.

If the Scorpio is really powerful, how difficult will it be as a developer to have to make the same game work on Scorpio, Playstation 4 and Switch hardware? Parity between all three is surely going to be an issue?

Would that be a straight dollars to pound conversion of £499?

The UK won't take to that. Not sure about the rest of Europe either. That's a lot of money for gaming hardware.

The original Xbox One launched at the same price and the UK price was £430. Of course the conversation rates are garbage now so it would probably be around £450-£480.

I'm planning to watch Microsoft tonight out of curiosity to see where they're at these days and to see what Scorpio is like.

I've had no interest in XBOX One for the entire generation and honestly can't think what they could show to make me take notice.. especially for $499 :eek:

The original Xbox One launched at the same price and the UK price was £430. Of course the conversation rates are garbage now so it would probably be around £450-£480.

Damn, was the One really that much?!

Damn, was the One really that much?!

Yup. Having the Kinect with it made the machine very expensive.

Yup. Having the Kinect with it made the machine very expensive.

Crazy. That's a loooooot of money to be asking for. At least, in my opinion.

Interested to see what is shown during the Microsoft conference now. I don't own an Xbox One so can't say whether it's worth the money or not. I just think that if you're going to charge that amount of money, then it has to be worth it in terms of games.

Rumours are doing the rounds that Microsoft will be keeping Scorpio as the final name for the new Xbox. The One will be dropped so it will just read as Xbox Scorpio.

Best Buy sent out an email earlier showing this.

main.jpg

Yeah, I can't see much uptake on the thing at that price. I feel they're going to be spending a lot of their conference trying to justify the price by focusing on the tech. Hopefully they'll blitz through that and get to the games as that's what's going to make or break the thing and as others have said, at that potential price point they'll need some heavy hitters. There's clearly going to be something Halo related as well as a Forza title to show off for it, as well as third party stuff, but I honestly can't think of something directly from Microsoft that can show off what the console can do and get people hyped. Perhaps something from Remedy, alarm a new Alan Wake game? A man can only dream.

I'm sitting watching the EZA guys EA stream from yesterday. I love these guys. They know when to talk and when to keep quiet when watching a conference. They keep things light but also take notes ready for future discussion. Nice and professional. Love it.

On the flip side, I heard that the Kinda Funny guys had technical difficulties, sat and ate food during the stream and generally didn't give a toss about what was happening during the conference. I'm glad I stopped watching them.

I'm sitting watching the EZA guys EA stream from yesterday. I love these guys. They know when to talk and when to keep quiet when watching a conference. They keep things light but also take notes ready for future discussion. Nice and professional. Love it.

On the flip side, I heard that the Kinda Funny guys had technical difficulties, sat and ate food during the stream and generally didn't give a toss about what was happening during the conference. I'm glad I stopped watching them.

Giant Bomb had a quick issue at the very beginning but switched streams and they were fine. I also think they spoke just enough this year. Last year was the first time I've complaints about them talking too much during the conferences but they seemed to take it back down a notch which was nice.

I'm doing exactly the same, or at least watching most of it - the conference part - before the Microsoft Conference starts at 10PM. :D

I wasn't going to watch the EA stream, but seeing that Easy Allies covered it, this just makes me want to watch it as they simply make it worthwhile, to the point that I'll likely be catching up with what they had to say about all the main conferences after watching the streams live of course. :)

Easy Allies really have gone from strength to strength with their video content and I'm proud to be a Patreon of theirs, especially at E3 time. : peace:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I like watching the conferences without commentary first and then I go back and catch up with the likes of EZA afterwards.

I'll be checking out their pre Xbox conference show though. I think it starts in 20 mins or so.

Doesn't Xbox start at 10PM?

We're on BST right now, not GMT

I usually do the same, watched EA then went through it again with giant bomb talking over it. Got kinda bored, not much i'm interested in with EA. A half hour or Star Wars? no thanks...

Leaked images of scorpio are sexy. Looks way better design wise than the PS4 pro.

Did anybody catch the worldwide release date?

Bit weird that they're promoting being able to use all Xbox One accessories and games with it. Surely that was a given...

Xbox One X. Not sure what I think about the name.

If this isn't used in advertising, this entire thing is sunk.

If this isn't used in advertising, this entire thing is sunk.

I just think the name sounds too similar to XBOX One S...

Well, no-one ever said size matters (when it comes to game consoles at least), but it being the smallest Xbox to date is rather nifty.

Should've stuck with Scorpio.

I see Microsoft are still planting audience members...