NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition will be out on Switch (as well as on PS4 and Xbox One) on January 28th. The fifth and final act will also be available on that day too.

Very excited to finally sit down and try this in a few weeks time. So many have spoke highly of the game and it's appeared in several people's best games of the decade lists to I can't wait to jump in. Just need to decide what platform to play it on.

Do you know how long I've been waiting for act 5 haha. I'll take a look on Steam discussions to see what people's reactions are.

Stories Untold, from NoCode and published by Devolver Digital, has been announced as coming to the Switch on January 16th.

I've heard good things about the game so very interesting to see what it's like. I've still got their more recent game, Observation, sitting to be played on the PS4 and I really should get it played because it's totally my style of game. I just can't be bothered sitting with the volume up really high on my tv to hear the game over the sound of the PS4's fan. Anyway, yeah I'm interested to see what Stories Untold is like.

Another interesting indie on the horizon for the Switch is Mosaic, by Krillbite Studios and published by Raw Fury. It's out on January 23rd and it's available now to pre-order with a 10% discount (£14.39 with discount, £15.99 at launch).

It's already available now on PC and Apple Arcade and while talk as been middling about the game, stylistically it looks great and could be interesting. I've had my eye on it for awhile so looking forward to trying it out soon.

Pretty cool anime-style trailer for TemTem:

Not expected to hit Switch until 2021.

A shame, in what besides the DLC for Sword & Shield is expected to be a quiet year for the Pokémon main series, it could have made a big splash. If they manage Q1 2021 then maybe it's still possible to get some momentum, but still ::shrug: not too interested myself, but it's nice to finally see some more competition for Pokémon, either way. 

Looking good.

Crazy that these guys are pulling off something like this and yet Game Freak, for all their money, man power and success, aren't willing to push the series forward in this manner. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy that these guys are pulling off something like this and yet Game Freak, for all their money, man power and success, aren't willing to push the series forward in this manner. 

If people stopped buying the same game over and over, year after year they might be forced to evolve the franchise but sadly (?) each instalment sells like crazy, so why should they bother

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If people stopped buying the same game over and over, year after year they might be forced to evolve the franchise but sadly (?) each instalment sells like crazy, so why should they bother

Pokemon is too much of a marketing machine to be stopped. The games, cartoon and merchandise all work in unison and are released at perfect times with each other. It's not so much that the games are the one big thing it's that the brand as a whole is stupidly powerful. Game Freak aren't a great developer IMO (just look at how well their other games do), the Pokemon license just hides this fact. Saying that, a lot of people did call them after finishing Sword and Shield but these will be a small sample of those who bought the game.

As you mentioned, they have zero reason to deliver anything bold and exciting because the old formula works and sells VERY well. This isn't anything new, I mean you just have to look at other franchises in the industry, like sports games, that can get away with the same thing. Business gonna business, I guess.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'd be more interested in Temtem if it wasn't trying to focus on being an MMO.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I'd be more interested in Temtem if it wasn't trying to focus on being an MMO.

That's why people ARE interested in it. There's a lot of Pokemon fans who have been crying out for the game to tackle the MMO genre. I think this is why this game has been so popular out of the gate.

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's why people ARE interested in it. There's a lot of Pokemon fans who have been crying out for the game to tackle the MMO genre. I think this is why this game has been so popular out of the gate.

I mean, good for them, but it's not what I'm looking for personally.

Went to pick up To The Moon earlier today, remembering that it's on offer until the end of the month...only to find it completely missing from the store?

Managed to find an article or two about it where they suggest that it's something to do with the game's rating, but there hasn't been any kind of comment on the matter from anyone involved. 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, Julius said:

Went to pick up To The Moon earlier today, remembering that it's on offer until the end of the month...only to find it completely missing from the store?

Managed to find an article or two about it where they suggest that it's something to do with the game's rating, but there hasn't been any kind of comment on the matter from anyone involved. 

The game is now back up on the eShop.

• Thanks 1

YES!

Haven't played 20XX as much as I would like but the sequel makes me hyped as FUCK :D Love the pixelated art style. Looks much more appealing than the prequel's style.

Edited by drahkon

Played Florence last night, it was even better than I hoped - like playing a Raymond Briggs book. It is criminally short though, only takes about an hour to get through, but it's so polished and charming. 

• Thanks 1

Apart from Dandara, the one I'm most excited about, Super Rare will also be releasing some other indies physically later this year. Some other good stuff amongst them.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

content-4-36158-yachtclubgamespresentsbanner.jpg

Yacht Club Games Presents 26 02 2020 Roundup

Here's our roundup of Yacht Club Games' latest presentation. :)

Press release info for most of it including the release window for Cyber Shadow, an update on Shovel Knight Dig plus some new annoucements.

A couple of relevant trailers are in there for the bigger announcements but there's a link to the entire presentation in there and the whole thing was only 12 minutes. :D

But they certainly got a lot of announcements in during that limited window of time, they even seem to be presenting in more of a Nintendo Direct fashion as well.

Pretty decent stuff all round considering it's only their second presentation with more to come throughout the year. :peace:

• Like 1

Lonely Mountains: Downhill was playable at PAX East 2020 last week, and some footage has emerged showing it running in handheld mode.  Liking the look of this.

• Like 1

We're looking for any Indies with online multiplayer for Smashing Cast - can anyone recommend any?

3 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

We're looking for any Indies with online multiplayer for Smashing Cast - can anyone recommend any?

Castle Crashers. One of the best online co-op indie games I've played. The Switch release of it was criminally overlooked.

Runbow may be a decent shout. I played it back on the Wii U and loved it to bits. I didn't play the online mode but apparently it's pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely stuff, thank you Hero. Open invitation if you ever want to join us for a show.

Would love to watch you lot playing Overcooked 2 together, or The Escapists.

3 minutes ago, londragon said:

Would love to watch you lot playing Overcooked 2 together, or The Escapists.

Thank you, putting them on the list. 

Started and finished Bomb Chicken over the last day or two, really enjoyable. Lovely visuals and fun gameplay (if frustrating at times).

Looking forward to Shovel Knight Dig (Nitrome collab) even more now