NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

content-4-35987-neondrivebanner.jpg

Neon Drive revs onto the Switch eShop on September 19th priced at £9.99

content-4-35988-habroxiabanner.jpg

Habroxia blasts onto the Nintendo Switch on September 26th priced at £6.99 (with a 20% off launch discount)

Check the articles for details and trailers for both titles. :D

• Thanks 2

I want to play Soul Knight, but I haven't played Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight first. Will that matter? Will I be lost?

• Haha 3
  • Weird 1

On 18/09/2019 at 10:47 AM, bob said:

I want to play Soul Knight, but I haven't played Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight first. Will that matter? Will I be lost?

Don't worry @bob, they're all standalone games! Looking forward to your impressions of Soul Knight though!

New game from the studio behind SnipperClips next month:

content-4-35989-ayakashigensokyobanner.jpg

Ayakashi Gensokyo is Dungeon-Crawler by PochiStudio and is coming to the Switch sometime in the near future.

content-4-35990-ghostparadebanner.jpg

Ghost Parade is an Adventure title brought to us by Aksys Games and is coming to the Switch on October 31st.

content-4-35991-siberiatrilogybanner.jpg

Syberia Trilogy is getting a physical release on one game card thanks to Microids and is coming to the Switch on October 31st.

content-4-35993-fightnragebanner.jpg

Fight'N Rage is a side-scrolling, old-school Beat 'Em Up from BlitWorks which is coming to the Switch eShop on September 26th.

Check the articles for all the details, trailers and screenshot. :D

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

content-4-35993-fightnragebanner.jpg

Fight'N Rage is a side-scrolling, old-school Beat 'Em Up from BlitWorks which is coming to the Switch eShop on September 26th.

Check the articles for all the details, trailers and screenshot. :D

Now this actually looks great!  I'm a massive fan of beat-'em-ups, and we've enjoyed a renaissance of them lately, but this one looks to scratch the itch more than most.

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 1

Ended up splurging out on a bunch of indie yesterday for my Lite (as if I hadn't spent enough money with that and Link's Awakening and Astral Chain). Picked up Untitled Goose Game, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Baba Is You, Gris, Into The Breach and Gato Roboto. Did look at picking up Overland but there's just too many games releasing in such a small window and I'd been really wanting to play Into The Breach for ages so went with that. Pretty much sorted for the next month or 3.

Played half an hour of Sayonara Wild Hearts and it looks and plays great on the Lite. Maybe a little difficult making up some of the hearts in some of the more chaotic scenes but generally, it's pretty clean and smooth for handheld mode. Love the soundtrack, would be cool to just sit and listen to it in game but at least it's on Spotify. And like the style but with half an hour done, I'm half way through all the stages. It looks as though an hour will cover the lot and it's about replaying for higher ranks and that'll no doubt bother some but I'm really liking the whole thing. It's scratching that itch that Amplitude on the PS4 got me with but going full blown weird with it all. Looking forward to playing more later to see just how weird it all gets and then trying to get those gold ranks.

I've also played an hour odd of Untitled Goose Game and it's great. I did wonder if it would just be that meme worthy thing that fell flat but so far, I'm enjoying figuring out how to check things off the to-do list and just generally causing chaos because there's nothing funnier than casing a kid about, honking and flapping your wings, to the point he hides in a phone box and then stealing his toy so he has to buy it back. Another I'm excited to get back to.

And the others, well they'll be dipped into as I go along but definitely set myself up for a good couple of months with them and I'm still looking to pick up the likes of Katana Zero and possibly Ape Out. And maybe Ori again. And Overland. Yeah, too many games right now.

• Like 1

Glad to see some more love for Gris. Truly a gem, and I wish more people play it. Same with Gorogoa, I really reccomend that one 😁 Artsy and beautiful! 

Glad to see some more love for Gris. Truly a gem, and I wish more people play it. Same with Gorogoa, I really reccomend that one Artsy and beautiful! 

Gorogoa is a beautiful experience while it lasts, but Gris is a boring, pretentious walking simulator. There are sections where you are literally holding left for minutes, nothing happening. Looks nice in places, but also has jitters in frame rate when more happens. As you can tell, I didn’t get on with Gris at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

content-4-36005-aldredknightofhonorbanner.jpg

Aldred - Knight of Honor is a Platformer brought to us by QUByte Interactive and is coming to the Switch eShop on October 8th

For the price of £1.79 (89p pre-order price/launch discount until 15/09/19)

Check the article for all the details and a trailer. :D

(tempted by this one myself, especially for 99p so something which actually looks half-decent)

Edited by S.C.G

That week of the 14th to the 18th of October is another monstrous week for games (though October in general is looking as packed as September was if not more so). The Witcher 3, Overwatch, A Hat in Time, various other bits and now Return of the Obra Dinn. Not that it matters as I've been waiting ages to play it so Obra Dinn will most definitely be getting picked up over most of the other games that week, though on what platform I'm not sure as I'm not thinking the Lite's smaller screen will be the best for an investigation style game. We'll see. Looking forward to it though.

I started and finished this game this morning.

EGS9Xk7XYAEyUou.jpg

Spoiler

EGWIh4kUYAA7r2n.jpg

EGWIh48VAAAL-IF.jpg

EGWIh5EVUAo7QRp.jpg

EGWIh5HUUAADptz.jpg

EGWIsnNUYAAkbiw.jpg

EGWIsnQVAAA3xEP.jpg

EGWIsnRUYAAp9-s.jpg

EGWIsmvUEAAiIOK.jpg

EGWI39mUUAAxmRs.jpg

EGWI3-UU4AA65hH.jpg

EGWI3-UU4AI37kH.jpg

EGWI3-SUUAEHJI9.jpg

EGWI-3UUcAE8cqb.jpg

EGWI-3ZUwAAZqPp.jpg

EGWI-29VUAAvZWS.jpg

EGWI-3aUcAAePKa.jpg

EGWJHcyUEAIBYDF.jpg

EGWJHcqVAAcRWuQ.jpg

EGWJHc-VUAAbV5c.jpg

EGWJHcwVUAElKCj.jpg

EGWJRLcUcAIuefg.jpg

EGWJRL3UUAACnWy.jpg

EGWJRLsVAAAnzoY.jpg

EGWJRL8UEAMbhbE.jpg

EGWJay_U4AAUMop.jpg

EGWJazXU0AA02Fr.jpg

EGWJazaU0AEL8jV.jpg

EGWJnqfUYAcxchw.jpg

EGWJnq4U8AA7dPN.jpg

EGWJwnMUcAE5tsE.jpg

EGWJwnPVAAEEoKW.jpg

EGWJwmlUUAATzme.jpg

EGWJwnJU4AEiSqH.jpg

It's a game i've been interested in ever since it was announced but once it was released I heard there were issues with the difficulty of the game and the lack of checkpoints. Apparently the whole thing wasn't all that balanced. The developers announced a patch would fix these issues so I decided to wait on it. Once the patch was released it was then announced that a physical version of the game would be getting a release, so I then decided to wait for that. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my copy finally arrived.

I love the art work and the little instruction book that the game came with. However, i'm not a fan of the numbered spine that the game has. It's a tactic used to lure people into buying all of their products ( in this case it was Special Reserve Games ) even though they don't necessarily want them. It preys on the collector mentality and it's something i've seen/read about a few times this generation with places such as Limited Run Games. People end up buying games just because it's a physical version of a game, even they have no real interest in the game in the first place. They wouldn't be buying the game if it was a digital only release but because it's on a cart they feel the need to have it. A few people on Era fell down this hole, with a few of them eventually managing to kick the habit. 

As for the game, it's a very enjoyable scrolling hack and slash game. It's also very gruesome, as seen by some of the pictures i've posted.These types of games are fun while they last and very rarely outstay their welcome. I do think that this game does just that though, especially in the latter stages, with some of them taking up to 20 minutes to complete. One of the fun things about these types of games is the varied locations that you get to explore but when you are traversing the same level for 20 minutes, while killing countless enemies that attack you, things do start to feel repetitive. 

I loved the artstyle used in the game. It has a serious yet cartoony look to it all. It kind of reminded me of a dark version of the Asterix arcade game that I used to play while on holiday at Blackpool as a kid. I guess it was the whole attacking the Romans thing that the game had going for it. It also reminded me a bit of The Mark of Kri, a fantastic PS2 game that also featured great cartoon style graphics but also had that edge to it.

I did enjoy reading through the logs/collectables that you pick up. The game goes into various things about the history of that era, from the locations to the weapons that were used in battle. They were quite an interesting read.

So, yeah, enjoyable game but i'm not sure it was worth shelling out £30 just to have it on a cartridge, especially when it was on sale on the eShop the other week for a fiver. :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tend to get all my indie games digitally and if there's an amazing one I want a retail copy of, I buy it after the fact. eg Hollow Knight and Darkest Dungeon. Too many good deals on the eShop for me to do it any other way tbh

content-4-36008-mistoverbanner.jpg

Mistover is a Roguelike created buy Krafton available now on the Switch eShop for £24.99

Check the article for the details and a trailer. :D

content-4-36011-thewandererfrankensteinscreaturebanner.jpg

The Wanderer: Frankenstein's Creature is heading to the Switch in 2020.

content-4-36012-rivercitymeleemachbanner

River City Melee Mach!! launches today, check out the trailer. :D

Edited by S.C.G

content-4-36015-inertialdriftbanner.jpg

Inertial Drift is an arcade racing game made by Level 91 Entertainment power-sliding onto the Switch in Spring 2020.

Check the article for an overview and a trailer. :D

content-4-36018-ragingloopbanner.jpg

Raging Loop is a Psychological Horror title made by Kemco is available on the eShop for £24.99 (currently £22..49 with a launch discount)

content-4-36019-juicyrealmbanner.jpg

Juicy Realm is a Roguelite Twin-Stick Shooter made by SpaceCan Studios and will be available on November 7th  for the price of £13.49 (20% discount during launch week)

content-4-36020-ahatintimebanner.jpg

A Hat in Time... should need no introduction but it's available now, is an acclaimed platformer featuring hats (long before Mario Odyssey) and there's a physical version soon.

Check the articles for details and trailers. :D

Played A Hat in Time on PS4 last year and it's one of the best indie games I've played. The main game's a bit short but it's so good for the time you're playing it and it has one of the best soundtracks in any indie game. I think the DLC they added fixes some of the length issues the game has which was my only real shortcoming of the game.

Definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played the game yet due to not owning anything other than Nintendo consoles.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else played Downwell

I've been inching my way through it all week and have become positively addicted to it. Managed to reach the boss for the first time a minute ago and did pretty well on it but I didn't have enough health to stick it out. Felt pretty cruel to have the run brought to an end by a death after getting so far but I'm really enjoying the challenge. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Anyone else played Downwell

Played it on the Vita quite some time ago. It's great, isn't it? Simple but tough.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Played it on the Vita quite some time ago. It's great, isn't it? Simple but tough.

Yeah, it's fantastic. It must be only the third or fourth time it's happened in my life but I've been getting the full-on Tetris effect from it - every time I blink I see the echoes of pixelated skulls and ghosts flash across my vision. It felt impenetrable to begin with but I've improved a tonne, best combo is only 22 though so there is still a lot of room for improvement. Will be tough to pry myself away from it when I finally reach the end, it's one of those 'one more run' kind of games. An absolute steal for £1.95!

• Like 1

content-4-36022-thelegendofdarkwitchbanner.jpg

The Legend of Dark Witch is a 2D Action Platform game brought to us by Inside Systems and it's available now on the Nintendo eShop priced at £6.99

content-4-36023-deepspacerushbanner.jpg

Deep Space Rush is an Action-Platformer developed by BUG-Studio and will be available on October 25th via the Switch eShop for the price of £4.99

content-4-36024-somedistantmemorybanner.jpg

Some Distant Memory is a Story-Driven Exploration game by developer Galvanic Games which will be available on November 14th on the Switch eShop priced at £9.99

content-4-36026-mononokeslashdownbanner.jpg

Mononoke Slashdown is a ninja-based Action game developed by FK Digital which will be available on the Switch eShop on October 31st for the price of £6.99

content-4-36025-darkdevotionbanner.jpg

Dark Devotion is out now on the Switch, check out the launch trailer for it.

Check the articles for details and/or trailers. :D

Finally managed to beat the boss on Downwell! Feels like a genuine achievement, I've been banging my head against a wall all week trying to do it - I must have reached the boss a dozen times or more but always found a way to cock it up. Luckily I kept my composure on my first run of the day and finally downed the bugger. Absolutely fantastic game, horrifically addictive and well worth the less than £2 I paid for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anybody played Feudal Alloy?

It’s on sale for 8 quid at the moment though there aren’t many reviews for it, the ones I’ve read said it’s ok but has small issues with map navigation and level variety...something that a Metroidvania needs to get right. But other than that, it’s a pretty solid little game considering it was made by a 2 person dev team. 

May take the plunge, something else to add to the backlog :indeed:

• Thanks 1

Afterparty, from Night School the developers beyond Oxenfree, is out today on Xbox One (it's a Game Pass title as well for anyone subbed), PS4 and PC. A Switch version is coming at some point down the line as well for those who may be interested.

I absolutely loved Oxenfree. I know a few here didn't take to it after playing it but I loved the story and the characters and that's partly why I've ended up buying this as I've heard good things once again about the characters and narrative. It's intrigued me since it was announced a while back so I'm looking forward to jumping in amongst all the other things I have to play which is getting to be a pretty lengthy list right now as it includes Cat Quest 2, PikuNiku, Stillness of the Wind, Gato Roboto, Into The Breach, Return of the Obra Dinn, Witcher 3 on Switch, DQXIS, The Outer Worlds, Felix the Reaper and Concrete Genie (managed to get another PS4 cheap enough so it's back to a full compliment of platforms now, much to the sadness of my wallet).

• Like 1