NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Award for slowest completion of Gato Roboto goes to...

Spoiler

D8dKCKTUYAAfkiJ.jpg:large

It worked out at about £1 per hour, which I thought was fair value.

Out of all the Metroidvanias on Switch, this really is the closest to the real thing.  It's almost a Metroid clone, yet perhaps due to the self-awareness on display or just its quirky nature, it somehow doesn't feel like a rip-off.  I am a cat fan, and this game captures their irreverence and cheekiness, but also the way they are often very affectionate.  You can also see Devolver Digital's DNA throughout, such as the way chairs and tables crumble to bits.

I didn't find it too short in terms of time spent playing, but the game isn't long enough to fit in an awful lot of progression.  I'd describe the difficulty as medium-hard - the first few bosses gave me a real workout, and I can't help but think it'd have been better if there were a few mini-bosses before them that gave you more weapon or health upgrades.  As it was, I felt I needed to get 100% collection before I tackled the final bosses, although in the end they weren't too much of a problem.

Speaking of collectables, one of the main types are Cartridges, which apply filters to the two-tone visuals.  As much as I love black & white, I felt the most obvious filter of all was missing - multi-colour.  Although I wouldn't want it to look messy, I think cautious application of the primary colours could really make some of the features stand out - red for fire hazards and yellow for secret passageways etc.  Cat fans would also love the option to colour the protagonist like their pet.  Collecting all these cartridges unlocks greater abilities, which you will need if you want to find all the Health Kits.

Gato Roboto is objectively a very good game, although if I'm honest I have the nagging sense I should have enjoyed it more - perhaps that's because I found it a little bit too tough at times or I just wanted to play something else.  However, it's a very accomplished piece of software that's a no-quibble recommendation to Metroid fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dream Daddy is coming to Switch (and iOS and Android) some time later this year.  I played it for a few hours and it may seem weird and corny at first but it's actually got quite a sweet story at its heart.  Really must finish that off at some point.

content-4-35826-themessengerpicnicpanicbanner.jpg

The Messenger: Picnic Panic a free expansion launches on 11th July 2019 across all platforms.

Personally, I can't wait to now hopefully receive the physical version which was pre-ordered months ago.

Won't be long now! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tried out Crypt of the Necromancer just now, put 40 minutes into it and got the hang of it. We'll, moving to a beat like that is just not for me. It frustrates me that I can't move faster or slower at my own will and I can't decide if I'm trying to listen to the beat or watching the heart. 

It does have something over it, though, and will probably try out the Hard later to see if I like the game more when not listening to a beat.

Got as far as the third cellar in zone 1. Then I tried zone 5 just for funsies and lasted a few beats. Also got five hearts now. 

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I can't decide if I'm trying to listen to the beat or watching the heart. 

Listen to the beat. And you can remove the heart in the options menu (and then still rely a little on your vision). I always found it distracting. Seeing the two "beat lines" meet without the heart in the way is much better.

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Tried out Crypt of the Necromancer just now, put 40 minutes into it and got the hang of it. We'll, moving to a beat like that is just not for me. It frustrates me that I can't move faster or slower at my own will and I can't decide if I'm trying to listen to the beat or watching the heart. 

It does have something over it, though, and will probably try out the Hard later to see if I like the game more when not listening to a beat.

Got as far as the third cellar in zone 1. Then I tried zone 5 just for funsies and lasted a few beats. Also got five hearts now. 

Funnily enough I tried this for the first time tonight (at that price it would be stupid not to) and I think it's a masterpiece of indie gaming. I totally get it's not for everyone, but I've had a smile on my face since I started it. The music is godlike, the little touches (singing merchant) are brilliant, execution superb.

Does it remind anyone of Hotline Miami, in the way the music gets you in a flow? Probably just me.

Anyway, will compete this then move straight on to the Zelda one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Funnily enough I tried this for the first time tonight (at that price it would be stupid not to) and I think it's a masterpiece of indie gaming. I totally get it's not for everyone, but I've had a smile on my face since I started it. The music is godlike, the little touches (singing merchant) are brilliant, execution superb.

Does it remind anyone of Hotline Miami, in the way the music gets you in a flow? Probably just me.

Anyway, will compete this then move straight on to the Zelda one.

I picked it up on Steam and I absolutely love it! Such a well-designed game and you're spot on about the music.

I'd say it took me about an hour to get the hang of it, I have absolutely no rhythm, but now I'm managing to get through the first zone fairly easily.

I also plan to finish this before moving on to Zelda, I cannot wait to hear those classic tunes remixed.

content-4-35838-cybarianbanner.jpg

Cybarian: The Time Travelling Warrior is out on the Switch eShop on Thursday, priced at £4.99

Check the article for the details and launch trailer.

content-4-35839-pawarumibanner.jpg

Pawarumi is out on the Switch eShop on July 24th, priced at £14.99

A physical version is planned, talks are still ongoing.

Check the article for the details and launch trailer.

Edited by S.C.G

content-4-35847-exceptionbanner.jpg

Exception is heading to the Switch.

Check the article for the details and a trailer.

What Remains of Edith Finch has been announced for Switch, coming to the Japanese eshop next week. Another fantastic indie addition to the Switch library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

NICE. I've heard great things about it. it was on my Steam wishlist.. But, well, you know. though I may wait to find out if there's some physical release in the works.

A little taste of Night Call, The noir taxi cab driver visual novel. PC release is 17-07, Switch is later. No specific releasedate, but shouldn't be too long after PC release.

Edit: Too be clear: click the tweet, and follow the thread.

Edited by Sméagol

content-4-35851-whatremainsofedithfinchbanner.jpg

Up on the front page, great game which I played a few years ago on the PS4.

If I recall correctly I just started playing it one evening when I wasn't feeling too good and it really lifted my spirits.

I know that the story isn't really that cheerful but it's just the way that it's all put together is just charming.

Anyway, I'm not about to spoil What Remains of Edith Finch for anyone but it is out on the Switch eShop on May 4th for (probably) £15.99

I won't be buying it digitally because I already have it on the PS4 but... a physical release would absolutely make me double dip on it.

It looks interesting but the price is too high for a two hour long game so I'll probably just wait for a discount. 

• Thanks 1

I got it on Game Pass for Xbox. Good game, but not really worth that price, happy that I didn’t buy it. And the gameplay segments could be a bit hit and miss. 

Edited by Dog-amoto

content-4-35852-mightyswitchforcecollectionbanner.jpg

Might Switch Force Collection releasing on July 25th on the eShop for around £15.99 or so.

Easiset games to sell on the Switch, it's even in the title! :D

Physical collection or no sale for this one. ;)

content-4-35853-skyboltzackbanner.jpg

Skybolt Zack releasing in 2019 is a rhythm focused plaformer with reflex-based gameplay.

Probably best to read the PR details and watch the trailer for this one as it looks good.

Check the articles for more information. :smile:

• Thanks 1

content-4-35858-vektorwarsbanner.jpg

Vektor Wars releasing on July 11th on the eShop for around £9.99

It's a digital re-release of  a game from four years ago, set five years in the future, featuring an 80's aesthethic, releasing on the Switch eShop in 2019.

I must have missed this the first time around, it looks interesting enough though I'm not sure on the price, maybe a potential sale game.

Anyone played Moonlighter? Any good? Is it a time sink or a short-ish experience?

content-4-35863-runthefanbanner.jpg

Run the Fan releasing on July 23 on the eShop for around £4.

It's a game which was made with the Switch in mind and it gives you a circuit to complete by moving a metal ball to a certain point.

Check the article for the PR info and a trailer. :smile:

Got bored yesterday and booted up Crypt of the Necrodancer - this time, I instantly switched to Bard and enjoyed the game a lot more. Constricting my movement to match a rythm just felt so unnatural and frustrating to me but being able to move freely (and no time limit so that I could explore) made the game a lot more enjoyable. I even cleared Zone 1 and rescued all the prisoners.

content-4-35867-riseracethefuturebanner.jpg

Vrrrrroooooooom! :grin:

Rise: Race the Future is coming to the Switch eShop on 22nd July for around £15.

Developer by VD-dev Games who have been known for technically impressive work in the past.

Check the article for details and that short but very sweet trailer. :D

• Thanks 1

content-4-35875-gunpowderontheteetharcadebanner.jpg

Gunpowder on the Teeth: Arcade is releasing on the Switch eShop on July 25th priced at £4.49

It looks like a monochromatic Metal Slug type game to me, hopefully it'll live up to that hyperbolic statement. :D

Check the article for the info and a trailer.

• Thanks 1

content-4-35876-highnoonrevolverbanner.jpg

High Noon Revolver is out now on the Switch eShop priced at £3

It certainly looks like it has that instant, pick up and play arcade appeal to it with some interesting setpieces.

content-4-35877-damselbanner.jpg

Damsel is releasing on the Switch eShop on August 7th priced at £16.99 with 15% off if you pre-order.

Quite an interesting overall title, which has a unique comic book style to it and some twitch reaction gameplay.

Check the articles for the details and the trailers. :D

content-4-35878-inflictionbanner.jpg

Infliction is coming soon to the Nintendo eShop and will be priced at £15.99

It's a Psychological Horror title which could turn out to be rather good and it would be nice to see this do well on Switch.

content-4-35879-zombiedriverimmortaleditionbanner.jpg

Zombie Driver: Immortal Edition is out now on the Nintendo eShop priced at £13.49 or £12.14 with 10% discount until August 8th

This looks like an interesting take on the top-down driving/racing genre plus is has guns, explosions and zombies, so... a winner potentially?

From the image, I might as well have just called it Crazy Taxi: Apocalypse Edition... hmm, now I kind of want that instead.

content-4-35880-standbybanner.jpg

Standby is available from August 1st on the Nintendo eShop priced at £4.49 or £3.81 with 15% off for pre-ordering

It certainly looks like an interesting platformer, I know there's a lot of them on the Switch but this one looks pretty polished.

Check the articles for the details and trailers. :D

Edited by S.C.G