NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

39 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Aggelos is out now

I'll post some impressions over the next few days.  Wasn't very impressed that it was in Japanese by default, but hopefully that doesn't reflect the amount of care put into the actual game.

10 minutes ago, Grazza said:

I'll post some impressions over the next few days.  Wasn't very impressed that it was in Japanese by default, but hopefully that doesn't reflect the amount of care put into the actual game.

Wait, the whole game, even the text?

Because if so, that's really funny.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Wait, the whole game, even the text?

Because if so, that's really funny.

Yes, Title Screen, Options, everything.  You can turn it into English, but I had to feel around in the dark.

Anyway, I've given it a go now.  I was a bit suspicious because there were no reviews, thinking there might have been an embargo due to low quality, but I can confirm that is not the case at all.  Aggelos is absolutely glorious!  You can tell the creator truly loves the Wonder Boy series, as it feels as authentic as can be.  If I didn't know better, I could well believe this was a rediscovered Mega Drive game.

Unlike some other retro-style projects, there is no knowing humour or self parody, just an earnest game exactly how they used to be.  It's really charming and refreshing.  Graphics are sharp and clear, controls are tight and the music is simple-but-fitting.  It's a bit jarring how the tunes stop abruptly when you're looking at your inventory, but not a big problem.  The whole thing just plays so well, with secrets hidden in all the right places and new abilities allowing you to backtrack at locations you'd made a mental note of.  Like games of the time, there is no map (not a side-on, Metroid-style map anyway), but the game is simple enough for you to remember where to go.

So far the difficulty is easy/medium, but that could change.  I can't comment on the game's length or the quality of the overall design, as I haven't completed it, but I can promise it plays brilliantly.  Easy to recommend if you're a Wonder Boy/Monster World fan.

D5AygXDU0AEoF-y.jpg:large

D5AynS8U0AAvyZd.jpg:large

D5Ayq2vUwAAMwwH.jpg:large

D5AyvF_UwAAnRdi.jpg:large

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Easy to recommend if you're a Wonder Boy/Monster World fan.

Annnnnd... added to watchlist.

I've completed two of the four "proper" dungeons in Aggelos (I assume there's a fifth, "final dungeon" of sorts).  A word of warning - it gets a bit tricky in terms of puzzles.  The dungeon design is more Zelda than Wonder Boy, and not all that elegant or user-friendly.  I dropped into the 2nd boss's lair without using a save point... thankfully I just about beat it, but it could have been frustrating.

Yeah, I have some interest in Aggelos as well. May get it.

Some weird remake of Star Fox 64:

And another visual novel coming west (also as a physical release):

I'd certainly only recommend Aggelos to very skilled gamers.  Although the difficulty curve is not exactly uneven, it ends up so much harder than how it started (and is definitely more Zelda II than Wonder Boy in this regard).

I still can't believe I managed this (optional) bit!

D5QvVx4U4AAMnCl.jpg:large

D5QvZPpUYAE2avQ.jpg:large

D5QvdQgUIAAAVX0.jpg:large

Aggelos is completed!  It gave me a workout, but I also got a genuine sense of achievement from beating the final boss.  Overall, it's a very impressive piece of software and very easy to recommend if you're up for the challenge.

Spoiler

D5bNwj0UcAEZE0f.jpg:large

D5bNz-mV4AAl1e0.jpg:large

content-4-35762-octogeddon.jpg

Octogeddon is coming to the Switch on May 16th for around £11.99

It's one of those games where it's easier to just click the image, read the PR briefly and enjoy the trailer. :p

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Wonder Boy Returns has been dated for 23rd May over in the US. I imagine the release over here will be the same.

This is really making me want Wonder Boy IV and V remakes.  Hopefully LizardCube will do them after Streets of Rage 4.

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

This is really making me want Wonder Boy IV and V remakes.  Hopefully LizardCube will do them after Streets of Rage 4.

Is that Monster World IV? Because I'm playing that at the moment.

Yesterday I picked up The Sword of Ditto and Venture Kid. The latter I've put a bit of time into and have enjoyed what I've played so far. It's essentially a Mega Man game on a budget. :D 

I also started the The Sword of Ditto  ( loading times at the start are absolutely awful ) but today I read there are some major software bugs in the game and I've shelved it until the patch arrives. It was supposed to be ready at launch but it has been delayed by a week.

Nice to see the Indie scene following in the footsteps of the rest of the industry and releasing half baked games that need patches to actually function properly. I'm honestly get sick of this happening. It feels like a MASSIVE win when a game launches with no patches and is perfectly playable.

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Is that Monster World IV? Because I'm playing that at the moment.

Well, it gets a bit complicated... I think it's Wonder Boy IV and the 3rd Monster World game.  It's Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Mega Drive anyway - a great game (I haven't played V).

In other news, I downloaded and completed Alchemic Dungeons DX.  I reviewed it on 3DS years ago and found it addictive but frustrating.  Nevertheless, I've come to love the game over the past couple of years, learning all its little quirks.  I'm happy to say the Switch version has been nicely rebalanced - it seems more generous with materials, and there's a post-game bonus mode where you can basically craft whatever you like as long as you're skilled enough to keep going.

Spoiler

D5pV_KNUYAESTZ4.jpg:large

D5pWCwBVUAArbyO.jpg:large

Also, Aggelos has received an update, but I don't know what it fixes - probably the game starting in Japanese and ending in Spanish!

After finishing Cuphead in the weekend, I got back to playing HOB: Definitive Edition. It's quite different from Cuphead and I think I find the pace a bit too slow for my liking. The game is a good puzzler with lots of Zelda-inspired puzzles but combat is a bit lacking and hard to navigate, and the puzzles themselves are relatively onesided and repetitive. Some of them are also hard because you need to spot that small thing you can interact with in the environment. I'm about halfway through the game, I think (4-5 hours in).

I will recommend it, though, as it's nicely put together with a good - albeit a bit cryptic - story. The visuals are lovely, especially after the patch.

Got through Inside in a single sitting, loved it - 4/5. Relies entirely on visual clues and atmosphere to tell the story and teach you the rules, and has no dialogue, cutscenes or text instructions whatsoever. Its gamemaking with the upmost respect for the intelligence and intuition of the player. Big recommend from me if you liked Journey.

Is the sale still on? Tempted to pick up something else.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Got through Inside in a single sitting, loved it - 4/5. Relies entirely on visual clues and atmosphere to tell the story and teach you the rules, and has no dialogue, cutscenes or text instructions whatsoever. Its gamemaking with the upmost respect for the intelligence and intuition of the player. Big recommend from me if you liked Journey.

Is the sale still on? Tempted to pick up something else.

Yes, until tomorrow actually.

Hoping we hear more from Playdead at E3, it’s been a while since Inside came out. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hoping we hear more from Playdead at E3, it’s been a while since Inside came out. 

Curious to see what they've got cooking up as well. Though, I do remember one if the PlayDead guys went off to start his own studio and has a game cooking as well. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the studio or the game but I remember it sounding like it would be in a similar vein to Limbo and Inside thematically and such so there's that as well to potentially look forward to at E3.

Generally, though, I'm just excited to see more indie games at E3. Hearing some of the impressions from Judges Week about some of the indie games has me hyped for later in the year for things like Afterparty from the Oxenfree guys. But I really hope we'll be seeing Campo Santos game, In the Valley of Gods. That and the new Ori game (especially as I'm thinking of picking up an Xbox One again seeing as my PS4 seems to be slowly dying).

It's not been mentioned here (or at least I haven't seen it) but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is coming to the Switch. When I saw the announcement I thought what a great platform for that title because of how you control the two characters with separate control sticks. Makes it a true co-op experience now as you'll be able to hand off the second joy-con to another player.

I forgot about In the Valley of Gods, that was such a slick trailer. Definitely hyped for that one.

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

That and the new Ori game (especially as I'm thinking of picking up an Xbox One again seeing as my PS4 seems to be slowly dying).

Well, Ori is probably on the way to Switch so...

content-4-35781-gatorobotobanner.jpg

Did someone say "Meowtroidvania"? :p

(I take no credit for that but I wish I could)

Anyway, it's a Metroid type game, in black and white, starring a cat, what more could you ask for? :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2

So someone played that minigame from WarioWare and decided to make a whole game based off of it?

I approve!

• Thanks 1