NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

On 3/14/2019 at 7:04 PM, Hero-of-Time said:
If this does turn out to be Castle Crashes then I recommended those who haven't played the game buy it straight away. Absolutely fantastic game.

Indeed it was Castle Crashers.

For those of you who are not familiar with Castle Crashers Remastered (CCR), here’s a quick rundown of what this version of the game has:

A multiplayer mini-game called “Back Off Barbarian” that’s frantic and weird.
Texture sizes of the game are five times the texture size of the original game
CCR runs at 60 frames per second. The original ran at 30 frames per second which feels kind of like a slideshow if you go back to it after trying this new one.
All previously released downloadable content like characters, weapons, and animal orbs are available in-game
Various performance updates and improvements to gameplay and online multiplayer

Oh, technology, you silly beast. You wonderful, electronic beast.

CCR on the Nintendo Switch has HD Rumble, Switch Online, and 4 player local Joy-Con support. Bring those little knights with you in handheld mode or put them up on the big screen while docked! On your PS4, we’ve utilized the latest in lighting technology to lighten up your lightbars with your character affinity color!

Why bring CCR to two more platforms now?

Well, aside from it being one of the most requested things we get asked there’s some less obvious reasons. With Alien Hominid not being ported often, we’ve seen it slowly become unavailable in most places. When we make games we want them to stick around. Taking advantage of the updated hardware of each generation is also very satisfying. Higher resolutions, higher framerates, chances to make tweaks, and better overall quality. Our debut title (Alien Hominid) was available on both Gameboy Advance and Nintendo Gamecube.

We’ve always eyeballed Nintendo’s platforms with a very warm heart. However, since the Gamecube, Nintendo’s cool features often demanded more development time than we were able to balance while guaranteeing quality. For instance, dual screens requiring UI and design reworks. The Nintendo Switch is perfect for us to make our return on and it brings with it the ability to have our games be portable. We always wanted to get onto the 3DS due to portability, so this is exciting for us!

Why not a sequel, you say?

Spooky tough question (but not really)! I often see people claim we would never make a sequel. That’s not accurate. We might make one someday, but it would have to hit all the right points at the right times. It has to be a product that would end up vastly improved, rather than “more of the same”, which is only something we can accomplish with gaining experience.

Another thing to consider is that there would be no Castle Crashers 2 if we started out by making sequels. You’d have Alien Hominid 2 instead of Castle Crashers 1. Or, alternatively, there’d be no BattleBlock Theater if we made Castle Crasher 2. It’s fun making different worlds and genres you love and want more of. We like the idea of more too. A constant internal battle with our minds! When we sat down to make the company we already had more games ideas than we could ever physically make in the first place and we want to bring them to life. Conflicting stuff!

• Like 1

Saw the news about Castle Crashers yesterday and very excited to finally get a chance to play it as I never did play it back during the 360 days. Looking forward to getting some friends together to check it out.

Now if only people could sort out the licencing issues surrounding the Scott Pilgrim game and that could get a re-release then everything would be sorted. One can only dream for that one at this point though.

• Like 1

Some of the other games that stood out for me...

Katana Zero - looks really stylish and fun, interesting tease at a storyline too.

The Red Lantern - Nice touch bringing out the game director to talk about the game beforehand. Gave me Firewatch vibes, at least in terms of visual design and narration.

Neo Cab - Wasn't this a noir style game set in the past, not the future? Or am I getting confused and there's actually two games about driving a cab around a city lol

Overland - Looks to have a really cool vibe

Creature In the Well - The art style looks a little cheap and Photoshop filter-y but the gameplay looks interesting

Earlier in the week I started playing this...

D2WP8_TUgAIUkdu.jpg

I've had it for ages now but I never got around to playing it. Thankfully I put that right and I have just finished the game now. Fantastic stuff.

I was unsure whether the multiple characters mechanic would sit well with me but my fears were for nothing as I ended up loving it. Each one of the 4 characters brought something interesting to the table and being able to utilize each of their unique move sets made for some interesting platforming action. If there was a gap then I would obviously use Gebel. Needing to make my way through a tricky jumping section with enemies attacking? Then Alfred and his flame shield done the business. In fact, I think the weakest of the characters was probably Zangetsu. He done nothing special and was there just for the muscle. Alfred was probably the most useful, providing you could get hold of his most powerful spell. The thing would just skip around the screen, destroying normal enemies and bosses with ease.

After I finished the game I seen there was another scenario to play through. A quick Google indicated this needed to be completed to see the proper ending, so off I went through the game again. I had waited so long to play through this game and here I was playing through it one and a half times in a single sitting. :D 

It was interesting playing through the same stages again. Having some of the other characters with me that I didn't have before let me explore new routes and areas in the earlier stages. With a character being stripped away from you in this play through it added a little extra challenge to the game.

The soundtrack for the game is phenomenal and it really sets the tone of game. It does sound like some of the old Castlevania games but this is no surprise though. I had a check to see who composed the music and it seems that Michiru Yamane had a hand in this. The OST for the game is certainly going to be listened by me for a long time to come.

Like Shovel Knight, this is exactly what I want when developers want to recreate games that resemble the NES era. You take what worked in them and then adapt them to modern times. It's a polished title that honestly gives a lot of the big budget games we see from the AAA space a run for their money.

I've said before how much I love Inti Creates and this game just further solidifies my love for them. For me, they are easily one of the best indie developers out there.:bowdown:

Spoiler

The first ending is a little depressing.

D2WQi07U8AEk8Kt.jpg

The second ending is still a bit depressing but at least its more colourful.

D2WQCvJU4AAn5VT.jpg

The designs of the bosses are great.

D2WQYDeUwAA4-Rj.jpg

I absolutely adore this next shot.

D2WQJjrU4AYv59w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Damn, so Cyber Shadow is Yacht Club Games' new title? :D

Based on that trailer, I want to purchase it on day one but I also need that to come out physically because it surely deserves space on the shelf. :peace:

Right next to the boxed copy of Shovel Knight, whenever that comes out.

Is it actually developed by Yacht Club? From the news post on Nintendo Everything I got the sense they were just publishing it but watching the trailer it seems very much like their kind of game. 

Either way it looks awesome, another indie gem to play on Switch.

A bittersweet port given that Runic Games got shuttered the other year because of poor sales of this. Torchlight 2 is also reportedly getting released for consoles in the Fall (not sure if the switch is amongst that). It's certainly good that it's getting a second lease of life but yeah, a shame that it's happening after the original team went under.

Got it for the PS4 myself but it didn't gel with me. Perhaps Switch owners will enjoy it though.

On 17.11.2018 at 9:02 PM, Ronnie said:

I finished Dead Cells!!!! On the train!! haha. I got to the final boss maybe 4 times in total, the first 3 times he utterly destroyed me but this last run I was so overpowered I only needed to heal once out of five :blank:.

I just reached the boss yesterday night for the first time. Haven't been playing that much but had a good run - even got the Ram Rune this time around. I got the boss' health down to about 80 % before dying - so not so good. :D

• Like 1

Looks great. Love me some Mega Man type games.

Speaking of FDG Games, I picked up some eShop credit today because yesterday I seen Blossom Tales was on sale. I figure I would snap it up while it's on offer, as well as picking up The Mummy Demastered.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

BTW.  Was just chatting with someone and came up with an idea regarding Labo VR...

... what if VR support is actually already present in Switch games and we just don't know about it yet...

Given that 3rd parties already have access to Labo support (Deemo officially supports the Labo Piano now) and that VR support has been baked into the Switch OS since the very beginning... and given that many indie titles already have VR modes on other platforms (like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes); I can absolutely imagine that the support is already baked in and ready to go...

It's the kind of thing I could see Nintendo shadow dropping in a conveniently timed Nintendo Direct... ("Oh, BTW, Labo VR is now supported by ALL of these games that you can buy on the eShop RIGHT NOW!")

How cool would that be?! Announce that alongside Labo VR support in titles like MK8DX, Yoshi's Crafted World and ARMS and boom! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

Some of you are getting your hopes up. There's a reason all those games created for Labo VR are quick gimmicky games. That's because the Switch isn't suitable as a VR device (too low resolution), and anything more than a short session will give you a headache. You don't want to play mario kart, unless it's just the one quick race or something. Plus they would need to sell an extra upgrade for the kit because as it is now it seems very uncomfortable to play regular games with it (as you need to hold it constantly and you can't use a pro).

• Like 1

How would Labo VR even work with games that need to be played for a long period of time? You have to hold the Switch screen to your face yourself, don't you? They'd have to release a proper headset bracket for the screen to fit in and that's weighted correctly.

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

BTW.  Was just chatting with someone and came up with an idea regarding Labo VR...

... what if VR support is actually already present in Switch games and we just don't know about it yet...

Given that 3rd parties already have access to Labo support (Deemo officially supports the Labo Piano now) and that VR support has been baked into the Switch OS since the very beginning... and given that many indie titles already have VR modes on other platforms (like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes); I can absolutely imagine that the support is already baked in and ready to go...

It's the kind of thing I could see Nintendo shadow dropping in a conveniently timed Nintendo Direct... ("Oh, BTW, Labo VR is now supported by ALL of these games that you can buy on the eShop RIGHT NOW!")

How cool would that be?! Announce that alongside Labo VR support in titles like MK8DX, Yoshi's Crafted World and ARMS and boom! :D 

Yeah, I'm still not convinced the Labo VR solution will expand to other titles. :hmm: It's technically possible of course (not disputing that) but the fact you can't even use Labo VR without actually holding it up to your face, makes it far from ideal for other games to make use of.

What I'm thinking would be better, is if Nintendo release a sturdier (not to mention pre-built :hehe:) plastic caddy that you could slide the Switch into, similar to the Labo setup, but more comfortable and with straps so it can be worn like a normal VR headset.

A peripheral like that would take the hybrid nature of the Switch to the next level! :cool:

• TV? Check.
  • Handheld? Check.
  • VR? Check.

That's the ultimate hybrid system right there. They'd probably need to get the Switch Pro released first though. 

Plus, if the option would already be hidden in current games, there would probably be a dataminer who found hints of it. 

If any Labo is a test for the market if we are ready for Nintendo VR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Plus, if the option would already be hidden in current games, there would probably be a dataminer who found hints of it. 

If any Labo is a test for the market if we are ready for Nintendo VR.

The dataminers aren't really looking into 3rd party games though... They're only focusing on Nintendo's own first party titles... where Labo support wouldn't be in place yet anyway!

Plus, even if they had already seen VR support in place; they might have just shrugged it off as a hold-over from the code currently used on other VR platforms... I could definitely see them missing it!

4 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Yeah, I'm still not convinced the Labo VR solution will expand to other titles. :hmm: It's technically possible of course (not disputing that) but the fact you can't even use Labo VR without actually holding it up to your face, makes it far from ideal for other games to make use of.

What I'm thinking would be better, is if Nintendo release a sturdier (not to mention pre-built :hehe:) plastic caddy that you could slide the Switch into, similar to the Labo setup, but more comfortable and with straps so it can be worn like a normal VR headset.

A peripheral like that would take the hybrid nature of the

• Handheld? Check.
  • VR? Check.

That's the ultimate hybrid system right there. They'd probably need to get the Switch Pro released first though. 

Switch to the next level! :cool:

• TV? Check.

Bugger... forgot about that...

Still, there's nothing stopping someone from just adding on a strap... It IS supposed to be custom built after all! Hell, the VR kit might even include a strap for all we know!

But yeah! Switch's greatest strength is absolutely its versatility! Always has been since day 1; and Labo is the ultimate embodiment of that concept really! (With VR being the next step; and a true testament to just how versatile the Switch concept is!)

You know what I really want though?

video-thumb-3.jpg

+

dims?crop=1200%252C779%252C0%252C0%26qua

+

switch-arms-640x480.png

DO IT NINTENDO!!

• Haha 2

Coming to PS4 and Switch on May, 2nd. Great visual novel, highly recommended. :) 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Coming to PS4 and Switch on May, 2nd. Great visual novel, highly recommended. :) 

Yeah I've already recommended it a few times over here. Limited run has confirmed it will release a physical version of the game later, which I was already hoping for, seeing as they already released a physical version of the Vita port. So I'll be getting that. The cover for the Vita (collector's edition) release was awesome, unlike the cover for the regular Japanese release, which looks pretty bland in my opinion.

Played HOB yesterday for about 1.5 hours. The game is beautiful and the game plays well - it's got an adequate level of difficulty, never frustrating never too simple. I liked what I played - it's a bit like Rime but actually fun.

However, I experienced both frame rate drops (nothing major), a crash (right after a save point so no data loss), getting stuck in a place (they have put a respawn option in the pause menu) and I accidentally entered a debug area in the game at some point. That's not quite the level of polish I expect from Panic Button ports.

Edited by MindFreak

Event Horizon 

content-2-35752-eventhorizonsidebox.jpg

This might not have been on the top of anyone's reviews they wanted to read but here it is anyway! :D

I didn't really get on with the game, I suspect it's just not for me but someone might enjoy it. ::shrug:

In any case I believe it's currently around £2.49 on the eShop until 21/04/2019

:peace:

• Thanks 2

content-4-35758-zeroptianinvasionbanner.jpg

Zeroptian Invasion is coming to the Switch on 26/04/2019.

And I've got to say, it looks more like my kind of space-based game. :D

(pleasebegood!)

content-4-35759-hyperlightultimatebanner.jpg

Another day, another space-shooter-type-game comes to Switch. ;)

This time it's Hyperlight Ultimate which is an enhanced version of Hyperlight EX on the 3DS.

I think this will do a lot better on the Switch hopefully and it looks like developer CatfishBlues Games is putting in the extra effort.