NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

49 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I like to have a list of games I'm keen to play in future. Each month the list of indies on PS4 gets smaller and the one for Switch gets bigger.

Out of interest, are you comparing new indie titles coming out on both consoles or just any title being released? The former would be a surprise, the latter would make sense. 

Still, Switch seems set to become the new Vita in that it'll have great indie support and no support from Sony.

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Out of interest, are you comparing new indie titles coming out on both consoles or just any title being released? The former would be a surprise, the latter would make sense. 

Still, Switch seems set to become the new Vita in that it'll have great indie support and no support from Sony.

It'll be the new Vita, just with you know, actual first party support, and more than 12 people owning one.

I'm comparing indie games in general. New console releases like Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, GRIS (check out the trailer, looks amazing and think you might like it), The Messenger, and the older stuff being ported like Stardew, Guacamelee 2 etc. I think the only reason we're getting some of the newer games late is because development on those started for PS4 before the Switch took off, and that'll soon be a thing of the past. It also helps when a developer can have two big stories in the news, one for their first release, then their release on Switch.

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It'll be the new Vita, just with you know, actual first party support, and more than 12 people owning one.

I'm comparing indie games in general. New console releases like Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, GRIS (check out the trailer, looks amazing and think you might like it), The Messenger, and the older stuff being ported like Stardew, Guacamelee 2 etc. I think the only reason we're getting some of the newer games late is because development on those started for PS4 before the Switch took off, and that'll soon be a thing of the past. It also helps when a developer can have two big stories in the news, one for their first release, then their release on Switch.

Hey it still sold better than the Wii U :p 

I've seen the trailer for GRIS and the art style is amazing.  Definitely keeping an eye on it.

If anyone hasn't played this on mobile, it's coming to console for the first time. Brilliantly eerie and well animated game, and only about 5 or 6 quid on the eShop I believe

• Like 1

Indie Dev Says Switch Is Easiest Console To Work With, Nintendo "Has Done A Complete 180"

“No, each platform has their own set of rules and submission processes. The easiest so far has been Switch. I can’t mention much because of NDAs, but that’s the easiest one. [They’re] fast with emails, easy to get a hold of with developers – Nintendo has done a complete [180]. They’re pretty much how Sony was years ago. Sony was at the height of the indie scene and now it’s become kind of Nintendo who’s like that.”

“Now I know how to work with [all of them], but PlayStation isn’t as user-friendly. That’s the most I’ll say.”

content-4-35640-derubanner.jpg

Check out this newly announced co-op indie title. :D

Trailer and details plus a few images shown in the article. :peace:

Don't know if this has been said on here but GRIS is releasing on December 13th. A new trailer has been released:

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks so unbelievably awesome. Hope reviews are good. 

Switch exclusive too I believe. 

Mother Russia Bleeds launches next week on the 15th. Was thinking of picking this up for PS4 but glad I waited now. 

• Like 1

Awesome! Another game I'd planned to play on PS4 but waited for a Switch port.

Now just Peggle 2, Spelunky, Donut County and GNOG please...

Edited by Ronnie

"It's on my Steam wishlist, so I guess I'll buy it on Switch move it to my Switch wishlist instead."

Switch wishlist. A Swishlist!

My Switch wishlist is nearing 100 titles now, I don't know how I'm ever going to afford to buy them all let alone play them.

DERU

content-2-35656-derusidebox.jpg

Yep, I actually reviewed a game...

...it has been a while. :blush:

:peace:

• Like 2

I finished Dead Cells!!!! On the train!! haha. I got to the final boss maybe 4 times in total, the first 3 times he utterly destroyed me but this last run I was so overpowered I only needed to heal once out of five :blank:.

Really great game, even though I'm pretty sure it's just @drahkon and I playing it from here. The traversal, combat etc is tuned to perfection so when you're on a roll, the game flows and feels great. I didn't really feel I needed to bother unlocking too many weapons to be honest. Found a great rhythm with the ice and fire bombs and just used those together with a fast main weapon. Didn't even use the sub weapon I had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THIS. LOOKS. AWESOME.

Sprite-based action-JRPG? :D 

It’s only been teased to be coming to Switch (it’s already on PC — and actually has a free demo), but this really looks like it could be the next big Nindie. 

It also seems like it would be right up the alley of a lot of people here. Next year, maybe? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I finished Dead Cells!!!! On the train!! haha. I got to the final boss maybe 4 times in total, the first 3 times he utterly destroyed me but this last run I was so overpowered I only needed to heal once out of five :blank:.

Really great game, even though I'm pretty sure it's just @drahkon and I playing it from here. The traversal, combat etc is tuned to perfection so when you're on a roll, the game flows and feels great. I didn't really feel I needed to bother unlocking too many weapons to be honest. Found a great rhythm with the ice and fire bombs and just used those together with a fast main weapon. Didn't even use the sub weapon I had.

I've played it as well, and some of my colleagues are playing it. Never reached further than the fourth dungeon bit haven't put more than 10 hours into it. I'm trying to unlock all abilities before going further into it but I often fail. 

3 hours ago, Julius said:

THIS. LOOKS. AWESOME.

Sprite-based action-JRPG? :D 

It’s only been teased to be coming to Switch (it’s already on PC — and actually has a free demo), but this really looks like it could be the next big Nindie. 

It also seems like it would be right up the alley of a lot of people here. Next year, maybe? 

Wow, I'm sold. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. The dynamic battle system looks brilliant. I love the look and scope of a lot of the old SNES RPGs, but find them hard to go back to now because of their outdated systems and tired challenges. This on the other hand looks like it is re-examing everything. 

Special shout-out to the removable HUD. Less crap on the screen the better for me.

• Like 2

Cross-Code looks amazing! :D

If it comes to Switch and gets the physical version that it surely deserves late in 2019, then I'll purchase it without hesitation. :peace:

• Like 1

Yep, 4 minutes into that video, I stopped watching. Because I'm sold. If that comes to Switch, totally going for it.

• Thanks 1

I apologise for not mentioning this while it was on sale, but I bought Sky Force Reloaded last week a few hours before the discount ended.  It is sublime.  Similar to Axelay, but by far the best game of its genre I've played.  Whereas most games of this type feel ridiculously hard, this is tough in a really good way, forcing you to get better at it.  And whilst I've quite enjoyed the Neo Geo games Alpha Mission 2 and Aero Fighters 2, there's little satisfaction in using unlimited credits (and as much as I'd love to 1-cred them, I couldn't).  Sky Force Reloaded's difficulty is tailor-made for console gamers.  The action is not just frantic; you soon realise you have to recognise enemy craft quickly and adapt your tactics to different types.  Playing it honestly feels like some sort of hypnotic therapy!

The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are those who hate grinding, as all your weapons can be upgraded many, many times (I see at least thirty increments for each so far) with stars you collect on the way.  Personally, I really love replaying every level, trying to master each one.  But it's an absolutely brilliant game and I want to pick up Sky Force Anniversary once I've got all the enjoyment I can get out of this.

@S.C.G, are you a fan of this one?

• Thanks 1