NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Just seen that. It looks great. Loved Lizardcube's work on Wonderboy. Hope there's more details soon.

More Lizardcube hand-drawn artstyle? Sign me up. Don't even like Streets of Rage that much, but I still want this!

Salt & Sanctuary

content-2-35601-ssright.jpg

Review written by Anil Parmar

Thank you to @Goron_3 for writing an excellent review for the site. :D

I really want to play this title, but I also want the "Drowned Tome" physical edition when it eventually releases.

Ah well, looks like it will be worth the wait. :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Salt & Sanctuary

content-2-35601-ssright.jpg

Review written by Anil Parmar

Thank you to @Goron_3 for writing an excellent review for the site. :D

I really want to play this title, but I also want the "Drowned Tome" physical edition when it eventually releases.

Ah well, looks like it will be worth the wait. :)

A big thanks to @Ashley for securing a review code. 2D Dark Souls is something everyone needs to experience!

• Like 1

Anyone playing The Messenger? Getting great reviews (currently at 87 on Metacritic), with a couple even saying it's their indie game of the year so far.

I never played Ninja Gaiden, but an action platformer that mixes 8 and 16 bit pixel art? Sign me up!

Edited by Ronnie

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Anyone playing The Messenger? Getting great reviews (currently at 87 on Metacritic), with a couple even saying it's their indie game of the year so far.

I never played Ninja Gaiden, but an action platformer that mixes 8 and 16 bit pixel art? Sign me up!

Was very much looking forward to it, but since I've barely played any games in general for the last 1.5 months, I've decided to hold off on E-shop purchases. Will get it though.

I've spent the last few days pretending to be a rabbit rescuing carrots!

>Ninjin< Clash of Carrots 

content-2-35611-ninjinclashofcarrotssidebox.jpg

Thanks, as ever, to @S.C.G.

• Thanks 2

WOOP WOOP!!! Lethal League Blaze confirmed for Switch in Spring 2019!!

The original PC game is incredible and this sequel looks even more amazing! (@Glen-i will attest to the many, many hours of fun we've had with it!)

Seriously! Guys! This game! Don't sleep on it! (Also has music by the composer of Jet Set Radio! :D )

• Thanks 1

Just completed Hyper Light Drifter for the first time and I must admit that I'm not really impressed by the game. It was conceptualised in 2014 and released in 2016 but now, two to four years later, it doesn't really seem fresh. The core gameplay holds fine, go to an area and find some keys in order to access the boss, do that four times and go to the final boss. They have then added some decent combat mechanics but this is where I think the game actually fails a bit because lots of recent games have done combat better. You have a very limited moveset and upgrades don't really make you any better.

I also found the story way too cryptic with the same scenes repeating over and over and never really advancing the story. This means that when I finished the game, I still had no clue whatsoever as to what or why. While this works fine sometimes, it just didn't really make me want to continue that much. 

It's also a bit short, made it to the final boss in about 8 hours, I think. The ingame timer is wrong, though, it has counted the time since I started the game (193 hours so far)... 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's also a bit short, made it to the final boss in about 8 hours, I think. The ingame timer is wrong, though, it has counted the time since I started the game (193 hours so far)... 

How does that even happen? :blank:

I mean, I can understand a game maybe counting idle time in menus etc but even then, there would only be a few hours difference, if that. ::shrug:

That is definitely one broken in-game timer, spectacularly so. :D

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

How does that even happen? :blank:

I mean, I can understand a game maybe counting idle time in menus etc but even then, there would only be a few hours difference, if that. ::shrug:

That is definitely one broken in-game timer, spectacularly so. :D

Well, they must have put up the timer as a datetime counter instead of an "on" counter. But it's a weird mistake to make, that's for sure!

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Did that have online? Because..

/puts up broken record

It's on my Steam wishlist, but may get it on Switch instead.

Shin'en Multimedia (developers of the excellent Fast RMX) tweeted today that they're going to be announcing details of their next Switch project tomorrow. I'd expect it to be a new Nano Assault game but I'm excited to see whatever it is they've been working on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd just like to mention that Mark of the Ninja is one of my all-time favourite games, and y'all should do yourselves a favour and play it if you haven't done so already. Even if you normally don't like Stealth games.

As for Risk of Rain... that one's alright, I guess. The fact that the game actively tries to waste your time is still a sore spot for me, though.

7 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I'd just like to mention that Mark of the Ninja is one of my all-time favourite games, and y'all should do yourselves a favour and play it if you haven't done so already. Even if you normally don't like Stealth games.

As for Risk of Rain... that one's alright, I guess. The fact that the game actively tries to waste your time is still a sore spot for me, though.

Agreed, Mark of the Ninja is a great game.

How does Risk of Rain try to waste your time?

16 hours ago, MindFreak said:

How does Risk of Rain try to waste your time?

By having your character (who has low mobility) navigate enormous maps. There were times where I just felt like I was just wading through mud just to reach a goal I had already seen 5 minutes prior. There's also those times where you need to clear every enemy on screen, which tend to require a lengthy detour. I got the very strong feeling that this was intentional, considering how difficulty is directly tied to how much time you waste on a given run.

For the sake of fairness, I did think the game was solid fun, and quite varied, too (the characters all feel unique, to the point where it feels like a different game for each one). It just didn't grab me enough to play it as long as I did, say, Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy.

(For the record, here are the impressions I wrote, shortly after beating it)

• Thanks 1

As hinted not so subtlely on their Twitter account a few weeks ago...

Chasm being released on Switch in one week. Up for pre-order atm. 

I like to have a list of games I'm keen to play in future. Each month the list of indies on PS4 gets smaller and the one for Switch gets bigger.