NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Hollow Knight being out now is the only arms in the air moment of the Direct for me. But oh yeah!

Downloading as well. Can't wait to start playing, I really hope all the time getting the game to the Switch means it's optimised well. Gonna be sharing at my Switch waiting for it to download and willing it to hurry up.

I'm pretty sure I already posted this trailer. It's coming out 28-06-2018 (it's already in the eShop).

And in the visual novel departent, Robotic;Notes seems to be coming to Switch. It belong to the same series of games as Steins;Gate. Along with a visual novel called Memories Off: Innocent Fille.

https://nintendoeverything.com/roboticsnotes-elite-seems-to-be-in-the-works-for-switch/
https://nintendoeverything.com/memories-off-innocent-fille-also-lined-up-for-switch/

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Alongside picking up Hollow Knight, I also picked up both West of Loathing and Yoku's Island Express so I've been going between all 3 games all day. I absolutely love Hollow Knight but I've really been enjoying West of Loathing. It's a very simple wild west era RPG but the humour and writing is fantastic. Even the menus with some of their options, such as the inclusion of a Colour Blind mode because "you never know", are brilliantly done. I've taken great joy in searching through every spittoon I've come across, much to the chagrin of the writer.

On top of the writing, the gameplay is pretty solid too. It's very simplistic, walking round towns or locations, picking up quests or talking to people, and then battles are grid and turn based but slightly iffy for changing target (this is on the right analogue stick and is too sensitive). I've definitely ended up hitting the wrong enemy or using the wrong attack because of how sensitive the controls are in the battle menus.

That's one of my main grievances, the other being not having a quest log and a cumbersome interface for going through your lot to change gear or allocate points from levelling up. It's hard to keep track of quests and so easy to forget where to go for them. Little changes for those would have helped. Still, it's an enjoyable game.

As for Yoku's Island Express, I'm not too sure I'm as taken with the pinball style gameplay. I'm not hugely far in but there's something lacking from the gameplay to me. It feels like it's lacking some weight behind hitting the ball and getting Yoku and the ball to go where you want is at times frustrating. I can see that grinding me down a bit the more I play but hopefully once I get used to the timing a bit more then it'll be better.

It looks great though, very charming and nice and colourful.

Looking forward to getting stuck in more to all 3 but as expected, Hollow Knight is taking up most of my Switch/game time at the moment.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

As for Yoku's Island Express, I'm not too sure I'm as taken with the pinball style gameplay. I'm not hugely far in but there's something lacking from the gameplay to me. It feels like it's lacking some weight behind hitting the ball and getting Yoku and the ball to go where you want is at times frustrating. I can see that grinding me down a bit the more I play but hopefully once I get used to the timing a bit more then it'll be better.

I'll post some comments in its own thread later, but I had no problem with that. It doesn't feel quite like a real pinball, but then again, this is an adventure game with the ball having a beetle attached to it. So I guess it's normal for it to feel off. That said, I had no problem getting Yoku where ever I wanted him to, but maybe 20 hours in Zen Pinball FX3, plus a few more in Stern Pinball Arcade, has prepared me for this game.

As for West of Fear and Loathing, I heard some good things about it, despite looking as shovelware at first glance. May get it at some point, if I ever get to a point where I have nothing to play.

Edited by Sméagol

And in the visual novel departent, Robotic;Notes seems to be coming to Switch. It belong to the same series of games as Steins;Gate. Along with a visual novel called Memories Off: Innocent Fille.
https://nintendoeverything.com/roboticsnotes-elite-seems-to-be-in-the-works-for-switch/
https://nintendoeverything.com/memories-off-innocent-fille-also-lined-up-for-switch/
Ah yes, I think I played another one in that series, Semicolon;Misuse.

It was rubbish.
  • Haha 3
  • Weird 1

Coming to Switch in 2018.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow, I like the graphics of that one.  It really does capture the essence of Wonder Boy and make it look "12-bit" (or perhaps 16-bit).

It's great that Wonder Boy is back in vogue since the Dragon's Trap remake - we've had the aforementioned game, Monster Boy and now this.  I personally hope LizardCube remake the Mega Drive ones as well.

• Thanks 1

How much is Pocket Rumble in the UK eshop? It’s only 3 quid on the Russian one, unbelievable price. It must be a mistake.

2 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

How much is Pocket Rumble in the UK eshop? It’s only 3 quid on the Russian one, unbelievable price. It must be a mistake.

I think it's £6.99.

• Like 1

For some reason I didn't think Pocket Rumble would feature online play, so was going to give it a miss. Very interested in checking the game out now though. :)
Should help to scratch that fighting game itch until Smash Ultimate comes out. :cool:

I've just had a few online games with Tenchi. It felt very responsive (ggpo 👍).

As for the controls in general, I feel you should have to hold the button a little longer to get a special. I was popping out an inappropriate special sometimes instead of a crouching kick. Something to get used to I guess.

Fun game though. Have to arrange some fights. 

Not available until Winter. :( Man, it's had such a delay. It was supposed to be released last Winter!

• Sad 1

Here's a launch trailer from when it was released elsewhere to give you an idea of what the game is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's a launch trailer from when it was released elsewhere to give you an idea of what the game is.

I intended to create a thread for this one as well, but decided to wait until I had some official confirmation.

Anyway, we can all agree we could use another fighter on Switch.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Anyway, we can all agree we could use another fighter on Switch.

Now if we could just get an official joy-con with a proper d-pad that would be great. 

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Now if we could just get an official joy-con with a proper d-pad that would be great. 

I'd prefer a pro controller with a proper d-pad, but I'd take it. I still intend to get that Hori stick anyway. And I'm finally gonna send in my pro controller to hopefully get it fixed.