NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

We're excited to announce that Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King will be available on December 21st, 2017, console-exclusive for Nintendo Switch. 

Explore a vast open game world in classic action-adventure fashion as Lily, Knight of the Rose! Slash your way through monster-infested dungeons to save the Kingdom of Blossom from eternal darkness.

I'll be keeping my eye on reviews of this one. It looks great and if it has no performance issues then I'll probably pick it up.

Anyone pick up, or intend to pick up, Brawlout? Out today from Angry Mob Games (who apparently are a team of people who nodded Smash Bros Brawl years ago) and from the hour or so I've played, it's not bad. Nice little Smash Bros. clone, definitely plays a bit better than some of the ones I've played (and plays better than the 3ds Smash game). Doesn't have the largest amount of single player content, looks like it's aimed at multiplayer, local and online, more but that seems decent so far from the venture online I managed. A little laggy at times but it's peer to peer so any of that is down to the connection your opponent has.

Will say just in case it's mentioned elsewhere, there is a store in the game but there's no microtransactions, you simply spend in game currency gained through play for pinatas that contain costumes, items, other characters.

But yeah, not bad so far. Looking forward to playing more and getting to grips with Drifter and Juan more.

59 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Anyone pick up, or intend to pick up, Brawlout?

For me, a lot of the appeal of Smash Brothers comes from its awesome roster of Nintendo characters, most of whom have never interacted with eachother before.

So personally, I have zero interest in Brawlout. At this point. Because they very well realize what's needed to increase interest: guest characters. In fact, personally I think they shouldn't have bothered with original characters in the first place (except for maybe one and/or the boss character), and that they should have filled the game with other indie characters.

The drifter is a cool start (I don't know Guacamele), imagine if the roster would include Shovel Knight, Shantae, Yooka & Laylee and other famous indie characters (just name your favourite). They could beat Nintendo to the punch with some of them. I'd buy that game. And since new indie hits will pop up every year, they could things fresh if they make a sequel every few years. Smash Bros' roster will largely stay the same, but this has the potential to have some wildly varying sequels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

For me, a lot of the appeal of Smash Brothers comes from its awesome roster of Nintendo characters, most of whom have never interacted with eachother before.

So personally, I have zero interest in Brawlout. At this point. Because they very well realize what's needed to increase interest: guest characters. In fact, personally I think they shouldn't have bothered with original characters in the first place (except for maybe one and/or the boss character), and that they should have filled the game with other indie characters.

The drifter is a cool start (I don't know Guacamele), imagine if the roster would include Shovel Knight, Shantae, Yooka & Laylee and other famous indie characters (just name your favourite). They could beat Nintendo to the punch with some of them. I'd buy that game. And since new indie hits will pop up every year, they could things fresh if they make a sequel every few years. Smash Bros' roster will largely stay the same, but this has the potential to have some wildly varying sequels.

This is exactly how I feel. I would have snapped it up instantly if it was filled with Indie characters but as it stands the game just seems to lack character and heart.

Looks like I'll be firing up Gunvolt over Christmas.

Inti Creates has been quite good at supporting all its games on the Switch, adding in new content updates and tweaks post-launch that do a decent job of adding value to the games while also reinvigorating interest in them. Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack is their latest release, bundling the two Azure Striker Gunvolt games in 60 FPS and with a variety of other tweaks and improvements. The game stands well enough on its own, but Inti Creates has just announced an upcoming addition that should infuse it with a good bit of Christmas cheer.

Christmas Mode will show up in Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack on 24th and 25th December, adding in a fun extra distraction to the main game. Presents and snow rain from the sky and the ground is slick with ice, with the goal being to collect as many presents as possible. And for those of you looking to open this Christmas present early, the official website says the mode won’t appear if your Switch’s date is set incorrectly, so no loopholes there.

Figured it had been delayed when we hadn't heard anything from them in a while. Shame. I was hoping to play it over the Christmas period.

Anyone playing Floor Kids? The art style is fantastic but I'm not really sure what the gameplay is like. Some kind of rhythm/Tony Hawk like I assume. 

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Anyone playing Floor Kids? The art style is fantastic but I'm not really sure what the gameplay is like. Some kind of rhythm/Tony Hawk like I assume. 

Yeah I'm also interested to know what people made of this game. Tempted to get it as the art style is totally my jam.

HIGHLY recommend Teslagrad for anyone interested in a puzzle/platformer. It's like a cross between Limbo and Braid - definitely worth the money.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:23 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like I'll be firing up Gunvolt over Christmas.

I fired it up this morning and it's great. You skid all over the place due to the floor being icy, snow is falling in certain stages and presents randomly drop from the sky for you to collect.

DRzE2cxV4AAKMHz.jpg

DRzFkgvVwAAeZ1N.jpg

• Like 1

Stardew Valley, started playing it what feels like only yesterday, turns out five days have passed.

I can't put it down!

Picked up Volgarr the Viking with 50% off, maaaaan this game is hard as nails. Took me half an hour to reach the first checkpoint of the first level! Combat and platforming are solid, as are the 16-bit inspired graphics. Definitely one for anyone who grew up playing tough NES or SNES side-scrollers. An absolute steal at the discounted price. Similar to Shovel Knight but without the immense soundtrack.

Edited by Nicktendo

10 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

I bought it too, now I'm scared.

Yeah, if you thought Wonder Boy was tough...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, if you thought Wonder Boy was tough...

It is tough. Buy my biggest problem was that it was really boring. The gameplay wasn’t worth the frustrating difficulty. If this is mega fun but hard I’ll probably stick with it! Probably...

Bough Gorogoa the other day. Man, what a trip! The amount of work behind that game must be massive! Played through it with my girlfriend (who don't "get" gaming) and later with my parents over at their place (and they REALLY don't get gaming). Everyone loved it, and we played through the game from start to finish both times.

And kudos to Nintendo for that Switch magic. Being able to bring the console to my parents and show them something that awesome on the Switch screen was really something. And on a side note, after playing on the train and through the whole game with my folks, i still had 76% battery left. Shmowzow! ( thanks @Ashley)

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gorogoa is a really nice little game, simple premise but executed beautifully. Really glad I picked it up myself and after showing it to the missus, I know she'll be having a go (if she can stop playing Lego City Undercover).

Need to go back to it myself but I've been playing SteamWorld Dig 2 and enjoying it. A big improvement on the first game. That's been my go to game over the holidays, alongside a last try at BOTW to see if it clicks. Do need to sit and put some time into Rive as I picked that up after release and enjoyed the snippet I've played so far but there's just too many things across the switch, PS4 and PC to play.

Has anyone picked up Enter the Gunge on? Can't find many details on what the coop mode include. I assumed it was the whole single player campaign but a review inferred something else. 

Anyone know? 

1 hour ago, Jamba said:

Has anyone picked up Enter the Gunge on? Can't find many details on what the coop mode include. I assumed it was the whole single player campaign but a review inferred something else. 

Anyone know? 

Been playing through the whole campaign in 2 player co-op, no problems there.  The only slight downside is that the first player gets to choose from the 4 Gungeoneers, but the 2nd has to be a 5th character, and only that character.  Great game, both in solo and co-op, couldn't recommend it more.  I've experienced no slowdown or glitches in the normal set-up, and there's adjustments that can be made to soup-up the graphical fidelity or lower it for a better performance, at the normal middle setting I've experienced no problems in handheld or TV.  It keeps surprising me, that just when I think I've had enough for the day, it introduces some new NPC, or mechanic to drag you back in for just one more run. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, londragon said:

Been playing through the whole campaign in 2 player co-op, no problems there.  The only slight downside is that the first player gets to choose from the 4 Gungeoneers, but the 2nd has to be a 5th character, and only that character.  Great game, both in solo and co-op, couldn't recommend it more.  I've experienced no slowdown or glitches in the normal set-up, and there's adjustments that can be made to soup-up the graphical fidelity or lower it for a better performance, at the normal middle setting I've experienced no problems in handheld or TV.  It keeps surprising me, that just when I think I've had enough for the day, it introduces some new NPC, or mechanic to drag you back in for just one more run. 

That's sounds fantastic! Really seems like a great type of couch coop for the switch. Exactly what I need in my catalogue right now and seems more up my street than Binding of Isaac (I love super smash TV!) 

That's sounds fantastic! Really seems like a great type of couch coop for the switch. Exactly what I need in my catalogue right now and seems more up my street than Binding of Isaac (I love super smash TV!) 

It does have that Smash TV vibe, and so much character in its visuals, gun puns (I got a proton backpack today, ghostbusters style), and they’ve nailed the gameplay.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Darkest Dungeon releasing January 18th (next Thursday).

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

Wow, there’s so much quality on the Indie front! Nintendo should release a greatest hits with the 10 best selling/reviewed Nindies of every quarter or so. I’d be all over that. And would be a great way to introduce the Nindies to an even wider audience via shelf space.

Edited by markderoos
  • Like 1