NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The more I read about it the more I think it's not for me. I'm not a fan of open ended games. I like a start, middle and end. I was reading this doesn't have an end goal, which I don't find appealing.

But there kind of is.

You can rebuild the Community Centre. Not sure if it officially "ends" the game (i.e. the credits roll) but it is seen as the goal of the game.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, i'm at that point with my PS4 where I look at my backlog in an attempt to start something but then become paralyzed due to the choice on offer and then just end up playing nothing. :D 

Same here. I really want to go on with Destiny 2 and start a new character/finally do the Raid with some people, but then it's over and I "have" to play another game. It's the same with FFIX...I'm almost done with the story (the Platinum will be my 100th one someday :D).

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A few people on Gaf have mentioned how they are hearing a distracting crackling sound when playing the game. No doubt it will get a patch to sort it out.

Yep, I got it last night and can confirm it's annoying as hell.. I had the sound turned right down and it was still distracting. Hope they fix it soon. As for the long save times which people on GAF have been mentioning, it's being blown out of proportion. It's certainly no more than the length of a loading screen in BOTW. 15 seconds maybe, but definitely not game breaking. The audio issue is a much bigger problem in my opinion. Loving this game though, already halfway through Spring and just plodding along and enjoying the vibe, last time I focused on mining and farming and completely ignored the town, so I'm going the other way this time and trying to focus on making friendships and finding a wife :D

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

But there kind of is.

You can rebuild the Community Centre. Not sure if it officially "ends" the game (i.e. the credits roll) but it is seen as the goal of the game.

Sounds like Animal Crossing in that you can make a goal, like paying off your house, but the game continues to go on. Games like that  don't sit right with me. I prefer to have a more structured experience.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not a fan of this at all. I can see what the developer is trying to go for ( a parody of Metal Gear Solid ) but the art style is ugly as sin. The guy who made this went from making this...

I really like the look of it.

@Grazza ( and any others who may be interested ) NoA just updated their Coming Soon section and have Wulverblade down as being released next week.

• Like 2

So steamworld dig 2. Finished it. Incredible taken. Now wondering whether or not to go for 100%, I’ve heard there’s a nice reward.  It is it nice enough that it’s worth 100%ing it? I love it, it’s not a chore, but already I’m stuck on some areas....

It's under embargo until late Tuesday, but I'm currently working on a review for Tiny Barbarian DX, coming out on the 10th, and I must say, even though it has a slightly hefty price point of 26.99 pounds, it's a great game to look forward to.  I'll elaborate later this week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, londragon said:

It's under embargo until late Tuesday, but I'm currently working on a review for Tiny Barbarian DX, coming out on the 10th, and I must say, even though it has a slightly hefty price point of 26.99 pounds, it's a great game to look forward to.  I'll elaborate later this week.

Yes, I'm very looking forward to this one, although I would prefer it to be sub-£15 and digital-only.

8 hours ago, londragon said:

I'm always slightly annoyed when I see people playing games that aren't out yet.. :p

The price seems a bit too hefty for a retro platformer. Looking forward to the review in that case.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

For those who've completed Golf Story, I was wondering how far into the game I am. Currently at the quest to gain membership to the posh golf club.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

For those who've completed Golf Story, I was wondering how far into the game I am. Currently at the quest to gain membership to the posh golf club.

You're still 3 more courses away from the end.

I finished it a couple of days ago 100% (or at least filled out the 'Stats' card) in about 15.5 hrs. Such a great, charming and even hilarious at times game!

Just before I go to work, a quick word on Tiny Barbarian DX.  The game does nothing that you haven't seen before.  Castlevania, Mega Man, Ghouls N' Ghosts, all 2D action platform tropes and cliches are in here.   However, the game does them all so well, and with such a variety of things to do.   It unashamedly pays homage after homage to the greats, and excels at those pokes of fun while maintaining its own identity. To be truly critical, this game offers nothing that you haven’t seen before, but it’s just so damn good at what it does offer.

One minute you are jumping, hacking and slashing through a combo-driven 2D platformer. Then, riding on the back of a beast. Followed, by a persistently scrolling level, up an elevator, or running from a massive chasing boulder. After that, flying on a tamed bee. Later still, jumping over barrels being thrown at you by a woman stealing large monkey-type creature. Lastly, fighting some dramatic mid or end boss that throws all previous conventions out of the window. Variety is certainly the spice of the Tiny Barbarian’s life.

It controls so well, no slowdown, and looks great with bright 16-bit style graphics and fluid animations, and good music.  It's really difficult to point out a negative of the game.  Yes, it's difficult, but fair.  Yes, there are no RPG-lite elements, but this is a straight forward, linear, 2D action platformer.  Yes, it's overpriced, but what's on offer is an extremely well executed game made by people who know their history, and the 2-player co-op is great fun.  If you don't like this genre then steer clear, you've seen it all before.  But if you do, I can't recommend it highly enough, even through the 26.99 pounds asking price.  Maybe wait for a sale??

Edited by londragon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After a lot of ummming and aaahhhing about what game to pick up next, I was torn between 4.  Didn't want to play another 2D platformer so close to Tiny Barbarian and Shovel Knight, so it was either Oxenfree, Thimbleweed Park, Golf Story, or Wulverblade.  I chose Golf Story, and an hour in, and I'm not disappointed, great golf mechanic, you can hit anybody with a golf ball, and great dialogue.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, londragon said:

After a lot of ummming and aaahhhing about what game to pick up next, I was torn between 4.  Didn't want to play another 2D platformer so close to Tiny Barbarian and Shovel Knight, so it was either Oxenfree, Thimbleweed Park, Golf Story, or Wulverblade.  I chose Golf Story, and an hour in, and I'm not disappointed, great golf mechanic, you can hit anybody with a golf ball, and great dialogue.

I think I'll be picking it up soon too :grin: most of my gaming time is currently going into FIFA 18, though!

• Like 1

Looks like another indie title I'll be buying on the Switch. :D

I'll just go and add that to the...

*another new title announced!*

...ever... growing...

...list. :blank:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Was that a Kickstarter? I'm pretty sure I've seen the game somewehere before. Looks gorgeous indeed.

Looks great. I remember hearing about a game where you ran a shop and went out to search for items to sell, is there another game with this concept or was it Moonlighter they were talking about?

Regardless it looks brilliant and surprisingly varied, yet another indie gem to add to my list 

43 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Looks great. I remember hearing about a game where you ran a shop and went out to search for items to sell, is there another game with this concept or was it Moonlighter they were talking about?

Regardless it looks brilliant and surprisingly varied, yet another indie gem to add to my list 

You might be thinking of Recettear, a game released a few years ago (and which I still have on my enormous Steam backlog, but nevermind that)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Looks like another indie title I'll be buying on the Switch. :D

I'll just go and add that to the...

...ever... growing...

...list. :blank:

Yup, same here with the PS4...those indie games are coming in hot. Goodbye money :(

Moonlighter is a day-one purchase for sure!

• Thanks 1

Hmm.. I'm not feeling the love :red:

It reminds me of A Link to the Past.. which isn't a good thing!

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Hmm.. I'm not feeling the love :red:

It reminds me of A Link to the Past.. which isn't a good thing!

What with people saying they've never played Super Mario Galaxy 2 and now this....I need to find another Nintendo site/forum to visit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6