NEurope
Ronnie

Indie Games

Perhaps it's simply a matter of timing. For all we know, Nintendo has lined up E-shop indie releases for the rest of the year, and they don't want to mess with their schedule too much, unless it's new / original / exclusive / popular. Maybe World of Goo simply got in early.

That seems pretty likely.

GoNNER just announced as releasing 1st of June btw

Perhaps it's simply a matter of timing. For all we know, Nintendo has lined up E-shop indie releases for the rest of the year, and they don't want to mess with their schedule too much, unless it's new / original / exclusive / popular. Maybe World of Goo simply got in early.

It's a fair shout. I guess all we can do is speculate at this point. I'm in the camp that thinks NoA are wanting the game it be exclusive/exclusive content or launch at the same time as other consoles.

It still baffles me that Axiom Verge didn't make the cut. Those guys went out of their way to support a version for the Wii U, it's a highly rated game, very popular and yet they still got shunned by NoA. Very strange. I have yet to play it and I would have certainly picked it up for the Switch during this launch period. Maybe it's because they showed Nintendo how to do a Metroid game. :heh:

A few new indie games were shown on this Nyandies special.

I'm very interested in Owlboy, Hollow Knight, She Remembered Caterpillars, Mighty Gunvolt Burst and YIIK.

The guys making Hollow Knight announced the other day that they have called in some help from another studio to help get the game up and running on the Switch in a quicker time frame. Good stuff as I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I really like Thumper

I looked up some gameplay of the first level, it has a very oppressive feeling to it. I like it.

That's another game on my "to buy list"

Fantastic news, I'm not a PC gamer but love the look of Olwboy and Hollow Knight so I'll definitely pick them up when they're out.

Owlboy looks gorgeous - proper 2D pixel art that aims for the 16-bit look (at least). Kingdom Two Crowns looks strangely intriguing as well.

Is Dusty Raging Fist a vs. fighter or a scrolling brawler?

Is Thumper an endless runner or does it have a conventional ending? It looks really good but I don't know if I'd enjoy it that much if it is an endless runner.

Is Thumper an endless runner or does it have a conventional ending? It looks really good but I don't know if I'd enjoy it that much if it is an endless runner.

I assume an ending. It has levels and bosses.

It's not an endless runner.

Mario Golf GBC lives on!

Sidebar Games is excited to announce Golf Story for Nintendo Switch™. Play the story of a golfer, forced to give up all that he holds dear for one final shot at accomplishing his dream.

But all is not so simple in the world of golf. To best today's players you have to be able to keep up with them not just on the course, but also off it.

Here are some of the things you can do in the game:

Tee up anywhere! You’ll be surprised by how many problems can be solved by hitting a golf ball at them.

Explore 8 unique environments, each with their own courses, towns, people and secrets.

Play through a dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters.

Upgrade your golfer by completing challenges, solving puzzles and buying new equipment.

Round out your skill set with long driver tournaments, disc golf, mini golf and wee links.

Then go beyond golf with extra challenges like races, mowing, drone flights and geocaching.

Golf Story releases this Summer. Stay tuned for details.

Looks and sounds great. Certainly one to keep an eye on.

It does look interesting but what's with the endless stream of games with 16 bit graphics? I'm really done with that now and want to see more modern stuff. Ubiart for example looks so much better.

Looks amazing, can't wait. As for graphical style, I guess it's a combination of people loving it, but also makes it cheaper for tiny studios to make great games in it.

Yeah, cost is a great point to be fair.

I'm just a little tired of it personally.

Yeah, cost is a great point to be fair.

I'm just a little tired of it personally.

Same here. You can make a budget game without doing pixel art/16 bit. But I guess it is the indie trend now to make it all look retro. The golf game looks fun, but really the pixel art is making it a no-go for me.

Or it could just be artistic preference. Developers grew up on pixel games and are now doing homages to them. Same reason Happy Days was set in the 50s yet made in the 70s, That 70s Show was made in the 90s and programmes like The Goldbergs (80s) and Fresh off the Boat (90s) being on now.

Its not like there isn't plenty of vector or 3D indie games coming up (Behold the Kickmen, Wandersong, Below, Tokyo 42, Knights and Bikes, Ooblets etc).

I love pixel art.

If anything, I'm tired of developers sticking to the limitations of 8- or 16-bit. I'm currently playing Neo Geo games ("24-bit") that look much better than the retro indie games now. 2D games continued into the 32-bit era, and many of them were superb (eg. Sega's System 32 games). Or at least aim for true 16-bit coin-op quality, not the consoles!

Making 2D sprites out of pixels was a true art form - actually having to work out how many blocks to use, rather than hand-drawing it and then scaling it to whatever resolution you're using. It's one of the reasons I like the look of Owl Boy so much, as that does look like pixel art made for modern times.

I'm OK with Pixel Art, as long as it's well done, I'm fine with it.

I guess another way of looking at it, is that because it's a common choice of art style, when something else comes along that goes for a different look and nails it, it feels a little bit more special.

*cough*Wonder Boy*cough*

Edited by Glen-i

Or it could just be artistic preference. Developers grew up on pixel games and are now doing homages to them. Same reason Happy Days was set in the 50s yet made in the 70s, That 70s Show was made in the 90s and programmes like The Goldbergs (80s) and Fresh off the Boat (90s) being on now.

Its not like there isn't plenty of vector or 3D indie games coming up (Behold the Kickmen, Wandersong, Below, Tokyo 42, Knights and Bikes, Ooblets etc).

Agree completely. It's also the reason so many Metroidvanias are coming out this past gen or two, indie devs grew up with Metroid and Castlevania and want to try their hand at one.

Shantae arrives in June.

Earlier this month the lovely folks over at WayForward announced that that its newest Shantae platformer, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, will be receiving a Switch port. It seems they were not messing around as we now know that it will launch on the eShop in the UK (and Europe) on 8th June for the very reasonable price of £15.99.
Edited by Hero-of-Time

I nearly bought these games on the 3DS earlier in the year. I'm glad I held off now.

They actually announced a 2nd game, and one that's coming out in 2 weeks (assuming this includes Europe).

Two games I came across on another forum:

I was also looking at a general release list for Switch, and I saw this title which grabbed my attention:

Anonymous;Code (a visual novel from the makers of Steins;Gate (as you could probably guess)).

l_592a6bc3b8639.jpg

Already love the soundtrack.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201705280008/

(they also announced some other titles, including some sort of.. remake (?) of Steins;Gate, but no Switch release announced)

And a game I posted in the Kickstarter thread, is getting a switch port.

Tiny Metal

This should please some people here. I've never been a big fan of Advance Wars actually, but I may give that kind of gameplay another chance. And this, to me, looks much better than Wargroove .

I've heard people say the Switch is the new Vita. I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Edited by Sméagol