NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Macbooks

I have both a Macbook and a Windows PC, but use the Macbook far more often.

I have had Windows laptops before but the Macbook destroys them in terms of ease of use. Having different desktops which can be swiped between just using the trackpad makes window/app management so easy and far superior to anything I've ever experienced with a Windows laptop (although you may be able to do similar with Windows now, haven't looked into it).

So I'll stick to Windows for my desktop/heavy use but don't think I could ever move away from a macbook for casual everyday use (and I do use it every day).

Does anyone here use a Macbook or some other Apple laptop device?

Basically I'm just wondering what they're like. Every 6 months or so I get the urge to try something different. I've been a Windows guy all my life so I dont really know what Macbooks are like or what they do differently from PCs.

The two main points you need to answer first are:

What am I going to use it for?

How much am I willing to spend?

Also could you clarify if you are referring to a macbook, macbook air or macbook pro?

My cousin recently asked this question, all she uses it for is web browsing and word processing. Convinced her to go with a £200-300 laptop thus saving her around £1000.

If you plan on playing games, definitely get a windows machine. MacBooks don't even come close spec wise.

Another idea if you plan on playing games is to get a (windows) laptop which has thunderbolt ports, then you could buy an external GPU enclosure and fit it with a beefy GPU. Then you could have a work laptop when out and about, plug it into your external GPU at home and have a decent gaming rig.

This would cost more than buying a proper gaming laptop such as a MSI GL72 7QF 1007UK 17.3 Inch, but would allow you to carry a light and thin around with you, rather then something bulky.

My problem with the entire Mac range is that they now use the same components that are in much cheaper laptops (cpu/ram/ssd's). Back when they used IBM CPUs over Intel/AMD you could make the argument as to why they were better for certain tasks, were as now that argument cant be used.

I'm a spec-head and a "what can I get for my money" person.

I've just compare the cheapest MacBook Pro 15" to a Razer Blade Stealth with extras:

15" MacBook Pro - £2,350

Razer Blade Stealth - £1,250

Razer Core - £500

Nvidia GTX 1060 - £200

2 24" Asus Monitors - £260

Razer Mouse - £65

Razer Keyboard - £75

TOTAL - £2350

Two things of note with the Razer build is that the Stealth has a screen seize of 12.5" and that I've taken the price of the Razer Core from the US website (which showed $500, so may or may not end up being a little cheaper).

I like my PC games so I am very bias, but thought it would be a good to see what you can get for the same money.

I also want someone to test out the whole external GPU thing as I'm thinking about going down this route :grin:

Never really been a Mac/Apple man myself so not really able to contribute to the thread on that front but seeing as you said you're just thinking about something different have you given any thought to delving into the world of Linux?

EDIT: Nvm just seen you're looking at shiny new hardware anyway.

Edited by Rummy

Never really been a Mac/Apple man myself so not really able to contribute to the thread on that front but seeing as you said you're just thinking about something different have you given any thought to delving into the world of Linux?

EDIT: Nvm just seen you're looking at shiny new hardware anyway.

I think its still interesting to talk about though. I only ever tried Linux once years ago and I was just so confused that I never went back to it.

I have had Windows laptops before but the Macbook destroys them in terms of ease of use. Having different desktops which can be swiped between just using the trackpad makes window/app management so easy and far superior to anything I've ever experienced with a Windows laptop (although you may be able to do similar with Windows now, haven't looked into it).

You can, but its not as easy. WIN + CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT (moves between and creates a new one if there isn't or WIN + CTRL + D if you want to create a new one).

Or this little thing in the task bar:

7cFnAN4.png

You can, but its not as easy. WIN + CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT (moves between and creates a new one if there isn't or WIN + CTRL + D if you want to create a new one).

Or this little thing in the task bar:

7cFnAN4.png

Pressing buttons? Outrageous!

I'll stick my Macbook :heh:

Pressing buttons? Outrageous!

I'll stick my Macbook :heh:

I only ever use the touchpad on my laptop if for some reason my mouse isn't connected. I use keyboard shortcuts all the time so it would be weird for me to use the touchpad.

I only ever use the touchpad on my laptop if for some reason my mouse isn't connected. I use keyboard shortcuts all the time so it would be weird for me to use the touchpad.

I literally use my laptop on my lap when I'm lounging on the sofa, minimum effort is the way forward!

Sign in to follow this