NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Macbooks

Does anyone here use a Macbook or some other Apple laptop device?

Basically I'm just wondering what they're like. Every 6 months or so I get the urge to try something different. I've been a Windows guy all my life so I dont really know what Macbooks are like or what they do differently from PCs.

I've been using MacBooks since about 2006, not really because I wanted to, but because I pretty much had to. Our uni was known as the 'university with the laptop' or something silly, which meant that every student had to own a laptop at the start of their degree (with discounts available through uni).

As we were in Graphic Design, we were offered MacBooks instead of Windows laptops. And I've basically just been using MacBooks since then. I had my original 13 inch MacBook, which lasted me quite a long time, and then a few years ago I upgraded to my current 15 inch MacBook Pro.

I like the operating system on Macs more than I like Windows, but then I haven't properly used Windows since 2006, so I can't comment too much on how they compare. I use my laptop mostly for Photoshop, Indesign, After Effects etc, so graphic heavy programs.

I think I just stick with Macs now because it's what I'm used to... but honestly though, they are horribly overpriced! Not sure I could afford a new one at this point, especially after the prices have gone up even more after Brexit. Also, their chargers are absolutely shit and all break at some point (and of course they are expensive to replace as well).

What do you use your laptop for? MacBooks are not great for gaming, as lots of stuff doesn't get released for it. Same with some programs, you have to make sure there's a Mac version for it. As much as I like my Mac, I'm not sure I would really recommend one to people, I really don't know what makes them better over Windows. I just like mine because it's what I'm used to after so many years of using it. :P

I use a 2012 MacBook Air which I bought in summer 2013. It's still going strong for my needs. I do a fair bit of web dev and some Photoshopping on it.

Having used Windows extensively at work I'm actually quite tempted to move back as the programs I use most work better (Excel primarily) on it and other software such as Qlikview doesn't even have a mac option.

I love the OS, the hardware and how it integrates so well with my phone so I'd really

miss that if I went back to Windows. I love how I take a photo on my iPhone and it's instantly available on my computer.

I love the OS, the hardware and how it integrates so well with my phone so I'd really

miss that if I went back to Windows. I love how I take a photo on my iPhone and it's instantly available on my computer.

Yeah I really like the OS, it seems quite intuitive to me. Still running on OS X Yosemite here though, always wary about upgrading as I once nearly lost everything while doing so.

As for connecting with other devices, that kind of stuff is great if you own an iPhone etc. I however have an Android phone, and my Mac does not want to connect with it at all. It simply doesn't want to set up a bluetooth connection. So it's a massive pain that way!

Thats the other thing I guess. While I do have an iPad I doubt I'd ever switch to an iPhone so there's less integration for me.

What do you use your laptop for?

I currently have a Surface Pro 4 which tends to be used to meetings at work, the occassional design stuff if I want a bit more accuracy with the pen instead of using my work PC and lately its become my comic reader. Only light games like Bejewelled 3 as anything else I'll use my desktop PC at home.

I'm not a fan of Macbooks. They have some uses (various design and programming applications) but generally I think the whole build quality issue is propogated by people who went from a £300 Dell to a £2000 Macbook.

I've never had one myself. My girlfriend has a Macbook Pro from 2011. She thinks it's really good that it's still going. However it's really slow, she's had to replace the charger 5 times now (at about £60 a time), and now the trackpad doesn't work which she thinks is due to a swollen battery (apparently a common issue with Macbooks) so now needs a new battery. So she's spent over £300 just to keep an old laptop working.

I have 2006/7 Dell Vostro that I bought second hand for £75 in 2010. It's a bit sluggish but works fine. The only issue is that the battery doesn't connect very well, so you sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the battery a few times before it will register (also the battery life is shit).

Most of the stuff about Apple quality is nonsense and not backed up by evidence. If you have a specific requirement for a Mac then go for it. Otherwise save your money and get something just as good for half the price.

I did have a Macbook that I bought around 2007 and stopped using a few years ago after the battery had died to the point it couldn't live without being plugged in and the plastic casing was breaking apart.

I know people that use Macbooks (and iOS) say they "could never go back" but they can. It's an adjustment, sure, but some people really play it up for some reason. I'm an Android/PC person but recently replaced my 8 year old iPod that died with another and it annoys the fuck out of me, but if for some reason I had to adjust I would.

I think it might be best to really consider what you think you need a Macbook for, how that wouldn't be available (or not be as easily/well done) elsewhere, what you may be missing out on and how the costs stack up and go from there.

It really is mainly boredom with Windows, not because I dont like it but I'd just like to try something new. As I said I tend to feel like this every 6 months and never do anything. I was just interested to see the differences and if it ever would actually be worth it.

I really can't stand macOS. What used to be strides ahead in terms of intuitiveness and design now feels like it's the Facebook apps of operating systems. Things like being constantly nagged about updating the OS, with the only option being to update or be reminded again tomorrow.... A macbook is also a fairly low spec machine (relatively) at a very high premium because you're paying for that shiny shell and glowing logo. Of course there are places where it stands out, quality screen, decent build, great touchpad. But I honestly think they're, by quite a stretch, an issue of style over substance.

RE this^ I don't think the logo even glows anymore :heh:

Well if you're just bored with the OS why not, for now, do a dual install or whatever the hell they call it?

RE this^ I don't think the logo even glows anymore :heh:

Well if you're just bored with the OS why not, for now, do a dual install or whatever the hell they call it?

Because that doesnt feed my other addiction. Buying new tech and peeling the sticky labels off... :P

I'm not a fan of Macbooks. They have some uses (various design and programming applications) but generally I think the whole build quality issue is propogated by people who went from a £300 Dell to a £2000 Macbook.

I've never had one myself. My girlfriend has a Macbook Pro from 2011. She thinks it's really good that it's still going. However it's really slow, she's had to replace the charger 5 times now (at about £60 a time), and now the trackpad doesn't work which she thinks is due to a swollen battery (apparently a common issue with Macbooks) so now needs a new battery. So she's spent over £300 just to keep an old laptop working.

I have 2006/7 Dell Vostro that I bought second hand for £75 in 2010. It's a bit sluggish but works fine. The only issue is that the battery doesn't connect very well, so you sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect the battery a few times before it will register (also the battery life is shit).

Most of the stuff about Apple quality is nonsense and not backed up by evidence. If you have a specific requirement for a Mac then go for it. Otherwise save your money and get something just as good for half the price.

Can you find an equally specced laptop that looks (this is important to a lot of people although obviously looks are subjective) and performs the same as a MacBook?

Another major benefits of Macs is they hold their value so well. I bought an iMac in 2011 for £999. Since then all I did was upgrade the ram from 4 to 12 GB. I sold it a few months ago for £450. What other computer can you recoup half the price you paid after 5 years of solid usage?

Anyway, each to their own. I don't want to get into a huge debate about the pros and cons of each one. As I said earlier, I'm tempted by a windows computer again. I can absolutely see why people would want a MacBook though. They're so damn pretty and that's a huge selling point. Let's be honest, most non-MacBooks are pretty ugly.

Because that doesnt feed my other addiction. Buying new tech and peeling the sticky labels off... :P

How about a Chromebook :)

I do lust after Surface Books but I know its about the same spec as my current laptop.

See I do also like the Surface Book:

en-INTL-XL-Surface-Book-2016-Refresh-CR9-00001-RM5-mnco.jpg

And Dell XPS 13:

laptop-xps-13-9350-pdp-polaris-03.jpg

They're both lovely too. Also happen to be similar priced to MacBooks ;)

Just get 7 laptops and the rotation system works itself out quite easily.

Can you find an equally specced laptop that looks (this is important to a lot of people although obviously looks are subjective) and performs the same as a MacBook?

Similar specced, yes, look and feel maybe not so.

I don't personally like the look of Macbooks, nor do I consider visuals a particularly important aspect, so clearly I'm not the key customer for Apple. I will admit that Macs do have a great feel to them. The cases being made from a single piece of metal rather than various bits cobbled together does feel very nice.

Personally I think of macbooks vs. other laptops as a similar state to german cars vs. japanese cars. When people talk about german cars they talk about reliability and build quality. However all evidence shows that companies like Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Suzuki have the best reliability, whereas BMWs and Mercedes aren't that reliable at all (VAG are still pretty reliable, and Merc have improved in the last 5-10 years). But with a german car you do get prestige, badge image, luxurious design and feel etc.

In conclusion I think Happenstance should buy a Toyota Yaris.

Similar specced, yes, look and feel maybe not so.

I don't personally like the look of Macbooks, nor do I consider visuals a particularly important aspect, so clearly I'm not the key customer for Apple. I will admit that Macs do have a great feel to them. The cases being made from a single piece of metal rather than various bits cobbled together does feel very nice.

Personally I think of macbooks vs. other laptops as a similar state to german cars vs. japanese cars. When people talk about german cars they talk about reliability and build quality. However all evidence shows that companies like Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Suzuki have the best reliability, whereas BMWs and Mercedes aren't that reliable at all (VAG are still pretty reliable, and Merc have improved in the last 5-10 years). But with a german car you do get prestige, badge image, luxurious design and feel etc.

In conclusion I think Happenstance should buy a Toyota Yaris.

Or a nice, reliable, VAG.

Always going to be a controversial topic. Everyone places importance on different aspects.

I’ve been using Macs a lot the last 10 years but have quite a lot of experience with Windows too - most recently setting up Windows 10 on multiple machines, Office 365, Surface Pro 4 and Lumia 950 as part of a bit of a personal experiment last year to see how Microsoft compares to Apple these days. It was originally buying an Xbox made me tempted to find out.

In the end I preferred Apple, from both a hardware and software point of view. I just I love the design, polish and apps on macOS and iOS. If you have an iPhone and/or iPad the whole ecosystem works very well. I was excited to get a Surface Pro 4 but preferred MacBook and iPad rather than compromise for the sake of a single device.

Working in London, most creatives and developers tend to use MacBooks. I find them pretty good value overall, you get a decent resale amount, but it’s not really about the cost... I’d happily pay £1.5-2k for something I use all the time if it makes me happier and my life easier. It’s easier to justify when you make your living off the MacBook though, for more casual use it is a fair bit of money (just like the Surface Book).

On the games front the selection on the Mac App Store and Steam is getting pretty reasonable. But the MacBook fan is too loud even with a basic game, it’s something that’s clearly not a focus for them, the fan is never audible otherwise. The Switch will deliver my gaming needs :)

Everyone has their own preferences with this sort of thing though. If you enjoy what you’re using, that’s brilliant.

It's very much a personal preference really. Personally i've used Macs for the past 10 years and wouldn't go back. I spend a lot of time using Macs for film work, using pretty system intensive programs like AVID, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Cinema 4D and Photoshop, so it's really important to me to have a stable system that doesn't crash. Not to say you can't get that on Windows but for me, I can count on one hadn't the amount of system crashes i've had since I started using Macs many years ago and that wasn't the case for me back in the Windows days.

Probably the creative in me too but I just love the whole Mac Aesthetic, and pre-brexit the price was overly terrible. They are a bit steep now which might make many people hold off jumping onboard.

I love my 2011 macbook air, as a casual content consuming device I really don't think there is anything better. If I need to do anything more taxing than I prefer a windows machine. I'm waiting on delivery but my new work computer will be a Surface Pro 4 and once the next cycle of MacBooks launch I intend to finally upgrade my home computer to one of those.

I think as long as it fits what you want to do with it then go for it.

Sign in to follow this