NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
seamus_aran

So a disk shattered in my disk drive

Woke up this morning. Thought I'd play some CM4 with my brother (Lincoln/Cambridge. I'm top of Prem he's second... anyway, task at hand) and I'm assuming that the crack it had - despite this it was working last night - somehow got caught when it was spinning and it wouldnt' work. I opened up the disk drive and it would only open an inch maybe. All I could see were the remnants of my disk :(

So. I turned off power. Shaked it a bit but I could still hear bits inside. So I opened up the computer and took out the CD drive. Shook it a bit more vigerously and got all the little bits out (the last bit to come out was a huge part - like half the disk).

So. I got out all the old bits of disk and I put it back. Connected up the power, the seat-belt-like data thingies and that black connector. Turned on my computer. All was working fine.

Or so I thought. Its now stuck open. If I press the button it closes, then opens immediately. I'm not sure what I could have done wrong... maybe I got the power connector round the wrong way? But I'm not too sure... any help would be appreciated.

Shakinjg it vigourosly probably shifted a few components inside. I reckon it's probably buggered totally.

Shakinjg it vigourosly probably shifted a few components inside. I reckon it's probably buggered totally.

Thats the way to do it... break it gently :laughing:

Ok.. let me re-phrase.

Seamus. I'm afraid that the shaking has acted like the effect of rigoursley shaking a small child. The insides have rattled and it is now dead..

So really what your saying... either i've broken it already with my shaking (which has a huge chance of killing it) or shaking it some more will fix it? Interesting...

Meh. Could work. Although its really starting to piss me off having it out all the time. I've walked into it twice and done my leg. Dunno how I haven't broken it yet...

More shaking is in order methinks since I can't buy a new one till I've wasted £220 on an iPod next Friday.

Well you're probably better off listening to odwin seing as he knows more about pcs. Also, if it is already broken, then there's no harn in shaking it some more is there.

Though i am going about sort of similar experience when moving my old pc about too much caused the motherboard to melt.

So really what your saying... either i've broken it already with my shaking (which has a huge chance of killing it) or shaking it some more will fix it? Interesting...

Its shit or bust really. Shake it, you've got nothing to lose but everything to gain.

Probs got a bit stuck in it thats stopping it from opening. can you open it enough to take off the front cover bit (if thats possible) you might get a better view. i wouldnt have thought shaking it about would have broken it, unless you were incredibly violent with it.

It does open. He jsut said it doesn't stay closed.

Its now stuck open. If I press the button it closes, then opens immediately

Hmmm... seriously. I would strip the whole thing down. You should really get every bit of the CD out cos those things really shatter into tiny bits. Even if you did get it working again, if a bit of shard started knicking around at 32X you are gonna get some nasty lazer disruption or some major disc damage. As I said, piece the thing and maybe even hoover it (CAREFULLY).

Its shit or bust really. Shake it, you've got nothing to lose but everything to gain.

This is what I don't understand, why do some people just think that when it comes to computer components they can't be fixed?

Just as Jamba said open it, find every tiny bit of the disc that was shattered. Use tweezers as static electric from your hand can damage the electronics in the drive.

This is what I don't understand, why do some people just think that when it comes to computer components they can't be fixed?

Just as Jamba said open it, find every tiny bit of the disc that was shattered. Use tweezers as static electric from your hand can damage the electronics in the drive.

I know fair well they can be fixed, and I know fair well tweezers which are generally made from metal, will conduct static, unless he grounds himself properly.

I know fair well they can be fixed, and I know fair well tweezers which are generally made from metal, will conduct static, unless he grounds himself properly.

Didn't think that far ahead as I have only used ones with plastic handles with electronics :)

So why do you suggests that shaking it would be his best bet? IMO that would brake it even more.

Didn't think that far ahead as I have only used ones with plastic handles with electronics :)

So why do you suggests that shaking it would be his best bet? IMO that would brake it even more.

I assumed that the person wouldn't have the best equipment for full repair, shaking it is a free, easy, non time consuming option. If its knackered, shaking it may fix it, without having to take it to bits which can be complicated for a novis.

Novis?! Novis?! Thats an educated man's n00b!

lol. Anyway. Quite right. Though I do put bits in and out, I never take them apart... mainly because I break things easilly. Eg CD Drive. I think I'll try taking it apart... it has screws and the such, can't be that hard. I'd have a go at it now but Computing CW needs to be done and my experties at Visual Basic are on par with those of the inner workings of my Optical Disk Drive.

Sign in to follow this