NEurope
ReZourceman

Jury Service

I did Jury Service last year and absolutely loved it.

Have you ever done it? What cases did you get? How did you react? Have you got it coming up?

I did a video about my experience, should you wish to see it, here it is;

People should be careful here.

It is a criminal offence to speak about what happened in the jury room, thoughts on the case, what evidence swayed you etc.

Aren't you forbidden from talking to people about the case etc?

It's more liberal than I expected. As Blade said, the only thing you can't talk about is what happens in the jury room.

I got a letter for it once, but never even had to appear for a selection. Which is good, I'd hate doing it and would stand to lose quite a bit of money missing work.

How does it work with work? Do you get time off? Is it unpaid leave? Does it depend on your employer?

Surely they can't have juries where certain members want to wrap up the process because they can't afford to be there?

How does it work with work? Do you get time off? Is it unpaid leave? Does it depend on your employer?

Surely they can't have juries where certain members want to wrap up the process because they can't afford to be there?

I was called up for jury service somewhere last year I think (or a bit longer ago), but because I hadn't lived in the UK long enough yet, I didn't have to do it.

But from what I remember, I think you have to take unpaid leave from work. Which in my case would have been problematic for my boss, as I am the only employee, and you never know how long a case can take.

I think you get a bit of monetary compensation on jury duty, but I don't think it was much at all. Don't remember the specific amounts though.

I was just happy I didn't have to do it, and am hoping I never get called up again. :P

I know you get special leave from work, didn't know it was unpaid. But you can claim for loss of earnings if your employer doesn't grant paid leave, so there is that i guess.

I've never had to do it, but my Dad was called up once. He only got out of it due to his work.

It's unpaid but a lot of employers will just pay you anyway. You get a daily allowance (not very much) for each day you do it and the longer the case the more you get.

If I get called up I will be extremely annoyed. I'm on a day rate and my employer certainly wouldn't be paying me. If I was on a case longer than a few days it would cost me a serious amount of money and I would not be happy at all.

I get that jury service is an important part of society but it shouldn't financially hinder anyone to go and do it.

As a few others have mentioned, lots of employers will pay some or all of your wages, and the remainder you can make up through loss of earnings so as far as I'm aware, you won't be hindered (unless in Charlie's case you're self employed/day rate/type thing).

You get a decent amount for food each day which is cool (although I didn't claim anything in the end).

I was called up for jury service somewhere last year I think (or a bit longer ago), but because I hadn't lived in the UK long enough yet, I didn't have to do it.

But from what I remember, I think you have to take unpaid leave from work. Which in my case would have been problematic for my boss, as I am the only employee, and you never know how long a case can take.

I think you get a bit of monetary compensation on jury duty, but I don't think it was much at all. Don't remember the specific amounts though.

I was just happy I didn't have to do it, and am hoping I never get called up again. :P

They're surprisingly accommodating (at least, my court people were) in regards to longer cases; they tend to not pick for cases that they think will be longer at the end of the week, and they'll try to pick from jurors who are on their first week rather than their second. On top of that, some people had said that they had childcare issues the following week, so didn't have to be called at all towards the end of their service.

I'm surprised that so many people are adverse to it.

I felt like a lottery winner, and it was easily one of the best things I've ever done...in my life.

Employers really should be made to pay their workers whatever their standard rate is.

A few people in my depts over the past 11 years have been called up & they've received full pay from the NHS. I have yet to be called!

I'd love to be called up for Jury service. Of course it would be nice to be doing the right thing for society but the reality is I just want to do it for the sake of doing it, I think it would be tremendously interesting. If I do get called up I'd do everything I could to be able to take part in it.

@ReZourceman- with your final case where the guy got the long sentence, do you know what happened later? Did it get cut down or did he end up having to serve it?

I would love to do it just so I can get a week or two off work with no guilt about it.

I'd love to be called up for Jury service. Of course it would be nice to be doing the right thing for society but the reality is I just want to do it for the sake of doing it' date=' I think it would be tremendously interesting. If I do get called up I'd do everything I could to be able to take part in it.

@ReZourceman- with your final case where the guy got the long sentence, do you know what happened later? Did it get cut down or did he end up having to serve it?[/quote']

I do not know. It was only a few months ago (well September) so not sure!

When can we expect your prison diaries about the Madeleine McCann affair?