NEurope
Cube

The Avengers (and other Marvel games)

[tweet]824633005842984962[/tweet]

A partnership between Marvel and Square Enix for multiple games. Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are working on them.

"More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018." :indeed:

Modern gaming!

The imagery of Mjolnir, Cap's shield and Iron Man's gauntlet all beaten up reminds me of Tony's "premonition" in Age of Ultron, where the Avengers are defeated... looks like this is going to tie-in very heavily, story-wise, with Infinity War/Infinity Gauntlet. Hopefully these are truly great games in their own right.

So Crystal Dynamics (Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain) and Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex).......... so we could get a Marvel Game that is a cross between Tomb Raider with Deus Ex, with its own unique flair?

Sign me up now

Avengers: A-Day, coming May 2020:

Details:

• Beta is timed exclusive to PS4; other bits of PS4 exclusivity coming
• Third-person
• "Epic Action-Adventure with Cinematic Storytelling"
• Story-driven
• Co-op but can be played solo if you want
• Crystal Dynamics' take on Marvel Villains
Story begins at A-Day celebrating Avengers West Coast Headquarters
• Avengers are outlawed and disband following A-Day Tragedy
• 5 years after, an evil forces the Avengers to reassemble
• Original story showcasing Marvel Heroism and Humanity
• Story about self-acceptance in the face of adversity and learning that together we are mighty
• Troy Baker is Bruce Banner, Jeff Schine is Captain America, Travis Willingham is Thor, Laura Bailey is Black Willow, Nolan North is Tony Stark
• All new post-launch heroes and regions will be entirely free
• "No lootbox scenarios"

Edited by Julius

It’s hard to tell just from the trailer and the fact that there were way too many cuts happening between the action but I’m not sure I’m liking the look or feel of that game. Hoping it’s something that’ll just get ironed out. Everything looked like it felt just a bit too slow maybe?

The story seems promising and I like what I saw. Hopefully the gameplay will work with so many different characters. Looking forward to seeing more of it (though I probably won't be able to play it as I don't own a console for it).

The characters look weird since they aren't using the usual faces or voices, but I thought the same with Spider-Man PS4 and that turned out ok.

The gameplay looks a little.....confined? I realise it probably won't be open world, but to have flying characters and cage them into small areas, will make it feel very claustrophobic imo.

The action looked pretty generic, which I know is Marvel's thing, but I had hoped the gameplay might be a bit more interesting. Didn't look particualrly polished either. Oh well.

The action looked pretty generic, which I know is Marvel's thing, but I had hoped the gameplay might be a bit more interesting. Didn't look particualrly polished either. Oh well.
Well it isn't going to be released for another 11 months, why would they start polishing it now?

To our fans,

At Crystal Dynamics our ambition has always been to deliver the ultimate Avengers gaming experience. In order to achieve that goal, we have made the difficult decision to move the release date of Marvel’s Avengers to September 4, 2020.

As fans ourselves, it’s an honor and a privilege to work with these legendary characters and we know what these Super Heroes mean to us and True Believers around the world. When we set out to bring you our vision for Marvel’s Avengers, we committed to delivering an original story-driven campaign, engaging co-op, and compelling content for years to come. To that end, we will spend this additional development time focusing on fine tuning and polishing the game to the high standards our fans expect and deserve.

The worldwide teams working on Marvel’s Avengers sincerely appreciate the support you’ve shown us. We thrive on your enthusiasm and feedback and we can’t wait to show you more. We apologize for the delay. We’re confident it will be worth the wait.

Scot Amos & Ron Rosenberg
Co-Heads of Studio, Crystal Dynamics

For those wanting to buy it they may as well wait for the inevitable PS5/Xbox Series X versions of the game.

1 hour ago, Map said:

Pre load is up for this weekends Beta, anyone trying it out? 

I had been planning on checking it out this weekend, but the guys I was planning on playing with have all ended up busy this weekend ::shrug: I have other stuff I need to get on with anyways, so guess I'll be waiting until the all platforms open beta next weekend. Because I'm sure the servers won't buckle then :laughing:

Definitely something I want to get my hands on regardless, might even just download the beta this weekend to dip in for an hour with some strangers. Not ideal, but I have so many questions about this game and it's progression system that I feel are best answered by checking the game out for myself. 

It's coming at a weird time for me though, because there are a number of games coming out from the start of September to the very start of October that I have my eye on, namely Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, the remake of Mafia, and then Star Wars Squadrons. So even if I quite like what I try of this game, I might end up just adding it to my wishlist and waiting for it to go on sale down the road, and once some of those potential kinks are ironed out. 

On 13/08/2020 at 10:42 PM, Julius said:

I had been planning on checking it out this weekend, but the guys I was planning on playing with have all ended up busy this weekend ::shrug: I have other stuff I need to get on with anyways, so guess I'll be waiting until the all platforms open beta next weekend. Because I'm sure the servers won't buckle then :laughing:

Definitely something I want to get my hands on regardless, might even just download the beta this weekend to dip in for an hour with some strangers. Not ideal, but I have so many questions about this game and it's progression system that I feel are best answered by checking the game out for myself. 

It's coming at a weird time for me though, because there are a number of games coming out from the start of September to the very start of October that I have my eye on, namely Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, the remake of Mafia, and then Star Wars Squadrons. So even if I quite like what I try of this game, I might end up just adding it to my wishlist and waiting for it to go on sale down the road, and once some of those potential kinks are ironed out. 

Tried it out last night and it was surprisingly good fun, there is actually a pretty big single player section to play through before you get to try multiplayer if you was still thinking of trying it out.

Probably won’t pick it up at launch but can see me getting it once Spider-Man and other heroes are added.

• Like 1

So I actually ended up checking out the beta expecting the single player stuff @Map mentioned to clock in like an hour or something, but nope. Way too long, after two missions it would allow you to invite players but wouldn't let you play with them, which was hilarious :laughing: gave up in the end on trying to play with my friend, weirdly run beta. What I played wasn't especially fun, had little idea what was going on most of the time, and you'd enter a building, for example, and every corridor would look the same, and without a compass/objective marker it became tedious to move forwards. Also, weird checkpoints. 

Feel like it should've been opening mission (basically tutorial) > option to play either single player or multiplayer. Not opening mission > second SP mission > haha you thought this was a multiplayer game, here's a third SP mission > multiplayer. Drove me up the wall. 

Then we talked about this with the rest of our group and said we'd probably wait until it's on sale at Christmas, probably have worked out the kinks by then, but I think it inevitably will be on sale nonetheless. And then Square Enix decided to kill any chances of me playing the game anytime soon by announcing a $10 battle pass for cosmetics for each playable character from launch. That's insane.

I don't even know how much backlash there might be, because I'm fully expecting this game to have been drowned out by the end of the month, as there's a LOT coming out next month (heck, I think it's going to have issues competing with Tony Hawk). While I'm sure this game might still have some noticeable early sales numbers, I think it's hard to maintain a community when things like this are brought up for the first time a week out from release, getting major Battlefront II vibes from keeping this so quiet (even if it is cosmetics only).