Ashley

Languages

I'm still doing it, but with my Portuguese holiday coming up in a couple of months, I'm basically just trying to learn as much useful vocab as possible, rather than learning strange verb tenses that I'm never going to need.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bob said:

I'm still doing it, but with my Portuguese holiday coming up in a couple of months, I'm basically just trying to learn as much useful vocab as possible, rather than learning strange verb tenses that I'm never going to need.

Good decision. Misusing a verb tense isn't too bad, and a wide vocabulary is always useful.

That said, while we do have obscure verb tenses, make sure you know at least the basics of Presente, Pretérito Perfeito and Pretérito Imperfeito. Anything you want to say, you can manage with one of those three.

(And if you're in Porto, let me know. I can show you around)

• Like 1

Man, didn't expect to see so many recent instances of mistranslation. You'd think we'd be good at deciphering Japanese PR speak by now. Guess not!

(Also, "up until now". Holy shit, do I remember that! The Dojo was such a source of clue-hunting and paranoia)

17 hours ago, Ike said:

Saw this interesting article on how an interview or tweet gets mistranslated and it spreads like wildfire without anyone actually checking the original source themselves.

https://legendsoflocalization.com/viral-and-memorable-mistranslations-of-japanese-game-news/

Good read. I think everyone knows about the Monkey/Donkey Kong and original Biohazard/Resident Evil translation issues but actually this just came up recently with the news about the remake of Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz. Someone had translated incorrectly the original source in Japanese and it got relayed in English that an HD version of Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz was coming out plus a new Super Monkey Ball game as well. There's been a bit of back-peddling on reddit because of the mis-translation by at least one user. As a side note, I would be careful with google/bing and any other machine translators. They can give fair results but it's never perfect and it would be stupid to trust them all of the time.

Edited by sumo73