NEurope
Ashley

Languages

I remember there was a good site once, basically a bit like duolingo but with user generated content, and native speakers would give feedback. It was far from perfect, but I enjoyed using it... until Rosetta Stone bought it up, stripped out most of the good stuff and started pushing their language courses super hard. Not a clue what it was called, or if it still exists.

Was it called Mocha something? Or did it have that word in it?

Sounds like the one. Shame, and Rosetta obviously saw it as a real threat to their business... which is pretty rubbish tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried the same thing with duolingo, it basically does what rosetta does, just better. My Dad has the rosetta software and frankly it is shockingly bad! (so anti recommendation there! :D)

Sounds like the one. Shame, and Rosetta obviously saw it as a real threat to their business... which is pretty rubbish tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried the same thing with duolingo, it basically does what rosetta does, just better. My Dad has the rosetta software and frankly it is shockingly bad! (so anti recommendation there! :D)

I think it's called the Mocha Lounge or Mocha Cafe or something like that. Someone I used to work with back in Wales recommended it, but I never checked it out. I regret it now!

I'll be gutted if they buy out DuoLingo. It's main selling point for me is that it's free and it covers a range of themes. It's pretty good and user friendly, imo.

I've always been tempted to look at Rosetta Stone but I won't bother now. :D

The problem is that there's loads of stuff aimed at beginner level, but there's not a lot for after that. So, for someone who can do the basics/intermediate stuff and wants to go further.

Interested to know if anyone here has done any language exchange before with native speakers and what they thought of it in regards to language learning.

Interested to know if anyone here has done any language exchange before with native speakers and what they thought of it in regards to language learning.

The main problem I found was having a framework of learning. Generally I found people with intermediate level English, which was far stronger than my level in their language, or people who were interested in learning but not teaching. Basically it's kinda tough as an English speaker/beginner. For intermediate speakers I think it's viable though.

Oh yeah it doesn't really do that. I've yet to find any service that really does offer that, most are vocab focused. What I tend to do is get a whiff of it from a vocab app and then do self-study.

Just realised this was my 35,000th post.

If I'd kept better track I wouldn't have wasted it on Flink.

Just realised this was my 35,000th post.

If I'd kept better track I wouldn't have wasted it on Flink.

Should have done a self indulgent new thread thanking everyone on here for helping you get there.

Oh hang on, it's not 2003 any more.

Should have done a self indulgent new thread thanking everyone on here for helping you get there.

Oh hang on, it's not 2003 any more.

You're just jealous because you haven't even reached 10,000 posts yet.

What a loser.

That can't be right, I've been posting since 2002, how have I only got 7000 posts?

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

That can't be right, I've been posting since 2002, how have I only got 7000 posts?

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Tempted now to change your post count to 130131301364 and then take away your posting rights...

Tempted now to change your post count to 130131301364 and then take away your posting rights...

But I'd be the winner then wouldn't I? I'd totally win.

I've introduced a friend of mine at work to Duolingo. She studied French and German at university but has been out of it for a while and wants to get back into it. I showed her the browser version of it and we both commented on how we'd like to learn Italian eventually.

So now, we've both decided to learn Italian. :heh:

I've had a little go at it today on Duolingo. It's like a cross-breed between French and Spanish. I've always had a fascination with Italy. I used to watch Gazetta Football Italia every weekend and learned bits and pieces about Italian culture through that. I knew all the top players and still idolise players like Del Piero, Zidane, Inzaghi and so on. :D

Let's see how this goes.

Buona fortuna con imparando l'italiano!

Spelling and pronunciation are pretty close. You've obviously got to learn how letters/sounds are pronounced (such as 'che' and 'ci'), but once you do they're pronounced how they're written which is handy.

Buona fortuna con imparando l'italiano!

Spelling and pronunciation are pretty close. You've obviously got to learn how letters/sounds are pronounced (such as 'che' and 'ci'), but once you do they're pronounced how they're written which is handy.

Grazie! :D

Yeah, just getting used to the sounds and, like you say, the combinations of letters that produce one sound in Spanish but a different one in Italian. I'll get there. :D

I'm interested to see how I'll do with it. With Dutch, there's a bit more urgency to learn it as I need it to communicate with Ine's family. Spanish is one that I kinda use a bit in work as we occasionally have Spanish visitors. Italian is purely for fun and enjoyment. Pressure-free.

If you're into podcasts I recommend Coffee Break Italian. The hosts are just so pleasant and seem at ease with each other that it helps.

There's also plenty of YouTube videos that explain pronunciation.

If you're into podcasts I recommend Coffee Break Italian. The hosts are just so pleasant and seem at ease with each other that it helps.

There's also plenty of YouTube videos that explain pronunciation.

I'm not really into podcasts as such, but I'll look into it for you, bebeeeee.

Cheers for the help. Next time you're down here, we can practise our Italian! :D

A while ago, I put myself down to be notified when Duolingo would be introducing Japanese. Well, for some reason, @Eenuh received a message telling her that it was available on the app, but I didn't. Hmph! Anyway, I've had a few goes on the app and I've been introduced to Hiragana. Just trying to read up on what exactly Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji are. Strange language! :D

Not really learning it for any other reason than for fun and on the off change that we maybe go to Japan one day.

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Seems quite interesting! Tempted to give it a go!

Good time to get it at the moment during the summer sale.

2 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

A while ago, I put myself down to be notified when Duolingo would be introducing Japanese. Well, for some reason, @Eenuh received a message telling her that it was available on the app, but I didn't. Hmph! Anyway, I've had a few goes on the app and I've been introduced to Hiragana. Just trying to read up on what exactly Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji are. Strange language! :D

Not really learning it for any other reason than for fun and on the off change that we maybe go to Japan one day.

I've been using it for a couple of days, it asks you to translate a word they haven't even taught you yet, it's a bit weird. I don't know if that's a standard thing for Duolingo or if it's because they've just introduced it.

I found the lessons got a bit better a bit later on once they started teaching phrases.

With Japanese, you sorta have to learn 3 different languages.

I've had the week off and was going to start trying to get serious with studying, but well, that never happened. :woops:

7 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I had to send a few Japanese emails this week and realized how much I'm starting to forget not speaking it all the time, so I was pretty glad to read that Duolingo has finally released a Japanese version.

It does seem quite good but a little too strict on some of the word orders imo. I decided to start from beginner rather than do the placement test, is there any way to bring up the placement test afterwards? It seems very basic right now.

Presuming it works the same as their other languages, you can take a placement test within each section. If you pass the section is complete.