NEurope
Serebii

Fire Emblem Heroes (Android/iOS)

Welp, they went and added a subscription to the game which means I'm pretty much done with the game. I've not really been playing it much lately anyway.

They did another choose your legends and all the characters that won were from Three Houses, which I guess isn't all that surprising.

• Sad 1

I had quit the game a while back (too time-consuming), but this makes me sad nonetheless. The subscription is optional, but that isn't much better, since they're hiding QoL updates behind it. I suppose the game already made what it could do, and now they're trying to get what they can from the whales... But man, sad to see it die a slow death.

Definitely no chance of me returning to it now, I suppose. If a Lyn upgrade doesn't do it, nothing will.

(Also, holy shit, Marth being cockblocked for the third year in a row. Good heavens!)

Is the subscription service in anticipation of other countries banning loot boxes, or would it have happened anyway?

Good question. Since they're not removing the Gatcha system, a subscription isn't going to change things. Might be they're looking to slowly transition into an exclusively subscription-based system, but they'd really have to redesign the game from the ground up for that end.

So I'm guessing, no. It's more likely they're testing the waters for an entirely new game that relies only on a subscription system, imo.

I guess they copy what was done with Mario Kart Tour - subscribers get hell of a lot more items while anyone else will have to buy or play for a long time to get what the subscribers get.

27 minutes ago, Ike said:

Wonder what moveset they will give him.

gkfhfQJcccmDveIxh5hz4ZTx52qAIBC0U5aJT2IK

(I know that's not what you asked, but...)

Hoping they are a bit creative with his skills and not just give him generic stuff.

Pretty sure they knew what they were doing when they added him. Was he in previous Choose your Legends?

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Hoping they are a bit creative with his skills and not just give him generic stuff.

Pretty sure they knew what they were doing when they added him. Was he in previous Choose your Legends?

I'm hoping he has the ultimate movement obstruction technique. Being the winner, he's bound to get a unique B-skill anyway.

I'm pretty sure they added him this year (along with a bunch of other minor characters, such as random bosses, and Lekain). Apparently, he's now the second-most voted character in the history of CYL (and that's after they added anti-botting measures), only being surpassed by last year's Edelgard.

Edited by Jonnas

Well, it's another year...

Spoiler

5c67e1cd4b4b812022e739febd64e0dcb30f3ee4

Spoiler

6-seaXpt1EfivVUSjkANmkk5IuVDI43rkf2cf5C3

The interim results are the same as the final ones (which they haven't posted in this format, for whatever reason). Several surprises this year:

• Awakening popularity seems to have made a resurgence;
  • Seliph came out of nowhere! People are thirsting for an FE4 remake, it seems *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*;
  • Elincia finally makes her debut on one of these rankings! :yay: She even surpassed one of the usual mainstays, Nino;
  • Soren fans showed up! Might spare a vote for him next year;
  • But most of all, the multitudes of Tokyo Mirage Sessions fans made their voices heard. Impressive effort, getting three characters into the Top 20!

I'll admit, the TMS fervour made me vote once for Touma (also in honour of Cain being my MVP in that Shadow Dragon playthrough). Hopefully I made a good choice and he's a cool dude.

51 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I'll admit, the TMS fervour made me vote once for Touma (also in honour of Cain being my MVP in that Shadow Dragon playthrough). Hopefully I made a good choice and he's a cool dude.

Don't worry, I'm here to fill in your TMS blind spot!

He's one of the two characters who can use the best debuff in the game (The other character requires a lot of effort to get it, where Touma just needs a Dark Knight Class Change). He's got the best offensive buff too! An offensive buff that he doesn't need to waste any skill slots on. Others would need to use up three skill slots to have the same thing and they wouldn't be able to use them as efficiently. Buffs and debuffs are amazing in TMS.

That same buff, combined with him being the only one who has the Penetrate skill (Makes his physical attacks ignore resistances and immunities) also makes him the best damage dealer in the game.

He also gets two Power Ranger-esque outfits. (Three in the Switch version).

Quite frankly, even with his horseslayer weakness, Touma's a competitior for best character in the game. Mamori, the Knight, is the only one who's as useful, but she's much more defensive, so she syncs up really well with him (Itsuki makes for a great third character for the final party member).

Then again, I also see Tsubasa there on that least, and she's easily the least useful. So unless TMS only has three reps in FE Heroes, I have to question the iffy choice for female characters there. Mamori is a million times better!

29 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

He's one of the two characters who can use the best debuff in the game (The other character requires a lot of effort to get it, where Touma just needs a Dark Knight Class Change). He's got the best offensive buff too! An offensive buff that he doesn't need to waste any skill slots on. Others would need to use up three skill slots to have the same thing and they wouldn't be able to use them as efficiently. Buffs and debuffs are amazing in TMS.

That same buff, combined with him being the only one who has the Penetrate skill (Makes his physical attacks ignore resistances and immunities) also makes him the best damage dealer in the game.

He also gets two Power Ranger-esque outfits. (Three in the Switch version).

That all sounds great (especially the Sentai outfits). I can think of a few ways all of that can be represented in FEH (Luna, Ruse skills, Menace, etc.), and I'm always fond of cavaliers. The question remains if IS is going to bring him in or not.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Then again, I also see Tsubasa there on that least, and she's easily the least useful. So unless TMS only has three reps in FE Heroes, I have to question the iffy choice for female characters there. Mamori is a million times better!

Every character in the series is up for votes, whether they debuted in FEH or not. I figure Tsubasa's getting a lot of votes because she's the leading lady in TMS, much like Caeda, Lilina, and Elincia in their respective games (or at least that's how it looks like).

Tsubasa is actually pretty strong in FEH, one of the best lance fliers at the time she was released (still is, though powercreep is always a threat). Her skill "Blade Session" is definitely a strong candidate for best skill in the game. Mamori has a similar skill (Shield Session), and though it isn't as useful, she's still a respectable armour knight (more of a menace when she debuted, but among axe armours, she has definitely been powercrept).

Sad to say, Mamori actually got the least amount of votes out of all TMS characters. This is likely because she's already in the game (drawn by the Etrian Odyssey artist), so there's less support to get her noticed (Ellie suffered a similar fate). Worse still, she's annoying to fight against when controlled by the CPU, because she's so sturdy. Story-wise, she's definitely teaching medieval warriors about the joys of microwaves, at least (really, they think it's concentrated fire magic).

TMS fans were also complaining that a character called "Tiki=Waifu" was not eligible to vote for. Is that the actual name of a character, or a fan nickname that caught on?

48 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Story-wise, she's definitely teaching medieval warriors about the joys of microwaves, at least (really, they think it's concentrated fire magic).

TMS fans were also complaining that a character called "Tiki=Waifu" was not eligible to vote for. Is that the actual name of a character, or a fan nickname that caught on?

Pffft! That's actually quite funny. As long as she says her TV catchphrase, "Warm up your heart with the touch of a button" then that's cool.

Tiki=Waifu is the in-game online username of a random NPC who shows up in a couple of sidequests. You don't ever find out her actual name, so the game refers to her as that. She's basically a mega fan of the Tiki vocaloid software. The general public don't actually realise Tiki is real, but the songs they make on that software give Tiki a somewhat physical form.

TMS is a weird game.

My guess is that people are trying to force her through as TMS's answer to the Gatekeeper from Three Houses. But she's nowhere near as entertaining and accidentally memetastic as the Gatekeeper. You can't force memes.

• Like 1

As (one of) this forum's biggest Tiki fan(s), I'm super happy to see Awakening-Tiki take the top spot. Personally, I spent all my votes on a certain group of characters I know had no chance of winning, just in the hopes that IntSys would recognize the demand and finally add them all to the game.

Screenshot_20220126-083546_Samsung_Inter

Also, although I'd be perfectly content if we could just get these five characters to round off the main TMS crew, Tiki=Waifu is great and I'd love to see her appear in FEH as well. I imagine her only realistic shot at it would be as Tiki's companion for a Duo Hero, though.

...Actually, thinking about it, that would be fantastic!

Edited by FireMeowth
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Well, it's another year...

Choose Your Legends - Men's Poll (Reveal hidden contents)

5c67e1cd4b4b812022e739febd64e0dcb30f3ee4

Choose Your Legends - Women's Poll (Reveal hidden contents)

6-seaXpt1EfivVUSjkANmkk5IuVDI43rkf2cf5C3

The interim results are the same as the final ones (which they haven't posted in this format, for whatever reason). Several surprises this year:

• Awakening popularity seems to have made a resurgence;
  • Seliph came out of nowhere! People are thirsting for an FE4 remake, it seems *wink*wink*nudge*nudge*;
  • Elincia finally makes her debut on one of these rankings! :yay: She even surpassed one of the usual mainstays, Nino;
  • Soren fans showed up! Might spare a vote for him next year;
  • But most of all, the multitudes of Tokyo Mirage Sessions fans made their voices heard. Impressive effort, getting three characters into the Top 20!

Are those polls just a popularity contest?

As someone who has recently come off TMS #FE Encore, I expanded the lists you shared and was like:
Thats It Yes Thats It GIF - ThatsIt YesThatsIt ...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I think so? The more popular ones get added to the game, as far as I'm aware.

18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

My guess is that people are trying to force her through as TMS's answer to the Gatekeeper from Three Houses. But she's nowhere near as entertaining and accidentally memetastic as the Gatekeeper. You can't force memes.

Well, it's more to do with the fact that people love to vote for obscure favourites, and that includes Tiki=Waifu. Even the likes of Cervantes (the moustache guy from Awakening) gets a few hundreds of votes every year, for example.

Though it is true that the meme energy lives on with the likes of Abysskeeper (did surprisingly well this year) and Bandit Boss, the unnamed boss from the first dungeon of Shadows of Valentia (he regularly outperforms half of his own cast).

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Basically, yes. It is held every year around this time.

There are a few factors to take into account, though:

• The top two winners of each gender will receive a brand new "Brave" version of themselves in the game, and those tend to be powerful and often creative;
  • Previous winners are not in the running (hence why the likes of Ike and Roy are nowhere to be seen, as they won in another year);
  • Beyond the winners, people like to vote for characters who haven't debuted in Heroes yet, almost like a public wishlist. It often works;
    • Corollary: characters who do well here then tend to get alternate outfits more often as well. As a side effect, people also vote for characters they want to see more of (this year, we saw Tiki, Seliph, and Elincia get a lot of sudden support on that basis);
  • Since it's FEH players who vote the most, you'll see more votes than expected for Heroes-original characters (like Alfonse and Freyja). And occasionally the likes of Reinhardt, who was a minor character in his original game, but a top tier menace in Heroes.
13 hours ago, FireMeowth said:

As (one of) this forum's biggest Tiki fan(s), I'm super happy to see Awakening-Tiki take the top spot. Personally, I spent all my votes on a certain group of characters I know had no chance of winning, just in the hopes that IntSys would recognize the demand and finally add them all to the game.

Well, I suppose it's fair I share my own ballot, then:

RPwFIdb.png

Hilda because I thought she had a shot at winning, Elincia to see more of her, Niime and Marcus because they're not in the game yet. Then the interim results came out and defined my next three votes. In the end, I voted for seven different games, which is nice.

I kept forgetting so I ended up just voting for Byleth and Cordelia.

There's a new Lucina unit so I'm busy autobattling all the story chapters to farm orbs.