NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July 2019)

Well, my limited ediition copy arrived today, the Nintendo Store UK really need to get some bigger boxes though, it was just sent in an oversized version of that general fold-over cardboard packing that a load of places use these days which is fine if it's around the size of the item but this was signifcantly bigger, so the outer box did get a bit creased down one side, nothing I'm going to worry about of course, I didn't even know the outer box would be that big afterall, the artbook is nice, the OST on a USB is... novel but I would have perfered a CD soundtrack, pins are nice and so is the steelbook.

All of that's going back in the oversized box, probably never to be looked at again or at least for a while, easily the main item is the game with its boxart that I appreciate a lot more in person but most importantly, it doesn't have any age rating to detract from the boxart which really makes it for me. :D

I might actually get to play it later, you never know. ;)

• Haha 2

Well, this is interesting. It appears that Intelligent Systems weren't really the ones who made this but rather Koei Tecmo. Intelligent Systems only had 17 members of staff on the project, with the rest of the development being handled by Koei Tecmo.

LINK

I knew they were working on the game but I thought they were just helping out, not the other way around! I guess this is why the game is a bit of a shake up compared to the older entries.

I wonder what the hell the rest of Intelligent Systems are up to?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

WarioWare D.I.Y 2! :bouncy:

...It’s probably another Fire Emblem. :heh: 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedShell said:

WarioWare D.I.Y 2! :bouncy:

Screw that. You've already got Mario Maker 2 for your creative side to play around with. :p It's about time they brought Advance Wars back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Screw that. You've already got Mario Maker 2 for your creative side to play around with. :p It's about time they brought Advance Wars back!

Hehehe! You know what, I actually wouldn’t mind that. It has to be cute and colourful Advance Wars style though, none of that moody crap from the last DS game. :nono:

If I wanted to play a realistic war game (and I really don’t :laughing:I’d just play one of the million or so that are available on PC. :heh:

• Like 1

Advance Wars really does have the dodgiest tone for the kind of game it is.

comic92.jpg

I can't find a nicer quality image of that, but it gets the point across.

• Haha 4
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, this is interesting. It appears that Intelligent Systems weren't really the ones who made this but rather Koei Tecmo. Intelligent Systems only had 17 members of staff on the project, with the rest of the development being handled by Koei Tecmo.

LINK

I knew they were working on the game but I thought they were just helping out, not the other way around! I guess this is why the game is a bit of a shake up compared to the older entries.

Just came to post this! Certainly explains a hell of a lot about this game and why there’s so little actual strategy RPG gameplay here.  It does actually resemble ROTTK quite a lot!

IS giving up their flagship title to T-K almost completely is a real shocker! This isn’t some throwaway spinoff! :o 

I want to think that this means that IS is currently working on something utterly massive for Switch (considering that they just gave away their most important console game to someone else; it could well be the grand return of Advance Wars!), but I have this sinking feeling that this happened because they’re giving up on console development and they’re just pouring their entire staff into Fire Emblem Heroes... it’s just such a massive cash cow for them that I can totally see them doing that... :( 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Sad 1

I'd like to think they're busy working on a new Advance Wars and the first we hear of it is when they unexpectedly release Sami with no prior warning in Smash Bros. Ultimate. 

It would give me some much needed points in the Smash Bros. prediction competition too. 

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Well, that certainly does explain Manuela! :p

• Haha 3

I've played it for over three hours despite being busy this weekend. I really struggled with the very first battle, just in terms of learning the controls and how to actually move the units etc. The mock battle was much more of a success, though it took me two tries. I was able to learn from mistakes and see what I did wrong in my first try.

I'm currently exploring the Monastery and it's surprisingly large. Having a break for now but looking forward to getting to some more battles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Well, that certainly does explain Manuela! :p

Do I really need to remind people of a certain Wyvern Rider from Fire Emblem Fates?

For once, I don't think Koei Tecmo is to blame for that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Do I really need to remind people of a certain Wyvern Rider from Fire Emblem Fates?

For once, I don't think Koei Tecmo is to blame for that.

They're all to thank blame.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I did end up buying this, despite me cancelling my preorder. My order arrived yesterday. Like S.C.G and Ike, mine was also sent in just a large padded envelope. :( 

EAfYbeEWwAEpabG?format=jpg&name=large

I wasn't that eager to start the game, hence why I've been playing other stuff over the weekend, but I've finally fired the game up. 

The choice of house was a tough one. I initially thought that the Black Eagles were the way to go but the lass in charge seemed a bit stuck up and full of herself and her position, so I decided against that. I like Claude but the rest of his house didn't appeal to me at all. I don't really like Dimitri's goody goody attitude but the Blue Lion house probably have the most appealing people to me. Sylvain, Mercedes, Ingrid, Felix, Ashe and Dedue seem like a solid crew.  

So, I like the Black Eagles banner and style, Claude was the best out of the 3 leaders and the Blue Lion house has the best crew. I went with Blue Lion. Yeah, I know you can eventually get people from the other houses to join your team but I figure with the game being heavy on the character interaction side of things it would be best to pick a house that had characters that I find appealing.

Exploring the monastery isn't as daunting as I thought it was going to be and I've quite enjoyed do it so far. Just running around, speaking to the various characters and doing some side quests has been a fun way to pass the time.

During the first battle with the other houses I really did want to defeat them. Knowing that they are my rival, and with Edelgard being an arrogant bitch, I got a real sense of satisfaction from defeating them both. Felix was my main man (as seen below) and I really like his character. I think he's going to be a favourite of mine.

EAlS8R4UwAAiJcW?format=jpg&name=large

I love the little touch of having the FE theme as the clock chime. It reminds me of Animal Crossing and when I use to use video game themes for the village clock. :D 

Both Felix and Byleth have passed certification exams for their next class type. I changed them both into the Myrmidon class. I love it how you are shown what they look like when they change and the odds of passing the exam. The little cutscene that follows is quite funny as well.

I scanned all my FE amiibo into the game and I got a few items and a bunch of songs. I'm not too fussed about the music but the extra items are a nice bonus.

I have a couple of small issues with the game at the moment. The complaints about some of the font size are spot on. What the hell were they thinking? Also, I think the game throws far too much at you at once. Some of these mechanics should really be eased into during a longer period of time.

It's very early at the moment ( only fought a few battles ) but so far I'm pleasantly surprised by the this, especially the monastery stuff. I quite enjoy the lecturing activity. :)  Outside of the battling it really doesn't feel like an FE game and more like a traditional JRPG. Now that I've adjusted to this I'll hopefully get a lot out of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of videos for those who, like me, might be feeling quite overwhelmed with such a new experience.

Edited by Tim B
  • Thanks 3

I knew you'd end up buying it. :heh:

I accidentally played until 2am last night. :woops: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From @Chris_Dring on Twitter:

“Fire Emblem: Three Houses is No.1 in the UK charts this week. Sold almost double the launch sales of 2013’s Fire Emblem Awakening, and more than double the combined sales of the first two Fire Emblem Fates games (2016).

It was comfortably No.1, too. It managed more than double the boxed sales of Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which made No.2”.

Ka-ching!

• Like 1

Is this a good game to start the Fire Emblem series with?

I only played Fire Emblem Warriors before.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gadwin said:

I'd say so. :D

I started playing some of it last night, it explains all the mechanics in an easy enough to understand manner and there's different dificulties if you don't want permadeath.

Of course I'm playing it on Hard and Classic mode though, so if a misake is made, you can bet I'll be restarting the entire map each time. :peace:

I think you might like it though and now is as good a time as any to get into Fire Emblem. :smile:

8 hours ago, Tim B said:

From @Chris_Dring on Twitter:

“Fire Emblem: Three Houses is No.1 in the UK charts this week. Sold almost double the launch sales of 2013’s Fire Emblem Awakening, and more than double the combined sales of the first two Fire Emblem Fates games (2016).

It was comfortably No.1, too. It managed more than double the boxed sales of Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which made No.2”.

Ka-ching!

Insane. Given the size of the 3DS user base at the time of release of the Fates games this is incredibly impressive.

7 hours ago, Gadwin said:

I think it is. There is a lot to take in but once you get the hang of the various gameplay mechanics you'll be fine. The battles themselves are now made in a way for everyone to enjoy. At one time the games were pretty hardcore and if a unit died then they were lost forever. Thankfully, the newer FE games changed this and allowed for the players to choose the Classic style ( permadeath is on ) or the Casual style ( characters who die will be back in the next battle ). Ever since that became an option it's how i've played the games. There's also the option to rewind time if you think you've made a mistake with one of your moves. It has limited uses but it's there if you want to use it. 

Plus, there are a few of us on here playing the game, so you'll never be short of help in you get stuck or want advice.

I LOVE that I can grind in this. I woke up early this morning and managed to get 4 grinding battles done before heading off to work. The fact that I can do this and make my squad pretty OP is just what I wanted and I didn't even have to pay extra for this option. :p My team is around the level 9-12 range at the moment and I think i'll do some more battles before moving the in game day forward. I may as well take advantage of being able to do this. :D 

I quite enjoy looking at the online stats on the loading screens. Looking at them indicates that Black Eagle seems to be the house of choice and that Blue Lion's have the most recruits that people want on their team.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gadwin said:

If you have access to a 3DS, I think Fire Emblem Awakening is a much better entry point.  That teaches you about battles and character relationships.  Three Houses adds an awful lot on, such as teaching, exploring and time management.  It's not that Three Houses is too hard to begin with, just that there's hours and hours of thinking and reading before you've had all that much gameplay.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grazza said:

If you have access to a 3DS, I think Fire Emblem Awakening is a much better entry point.  That teaches you about battles and character relationships.  Three Houses adds an awful lot on, such as teaching, exploring and time management.  It's not that Three Houses is too hard to begin with, just that there's hours and hours of thinking and reading before you've had all that much gameplay.

I agree with this. There's a really good reason Awakening made Fire Emblem that much more relevant as a series.

I was very eager to get back on this today. This was me pretty much all day at work...

giphy.gif

The first thing I done was go through all of the support conversations that I had racked up. There were a load of them to get through so I just sat and watched them all while having my tea. Some of them were hilarious, especially the ones involving Sylvain constantly hitting on women, one of which had him getting embarrassed in the cafeteria area due him being getting called out for hitting on a granny (he was only 8 at the time) and a scarecrow! :D 

Another one that got a chuckle out of me involved Felix walking in on Annette, who was so hungry she started to sing a little song about food. 

Brilliant stuff. :laughing: I'm very glad I went with the Blue Lions otherwise I would have missed these golden moments. 

I'm currently doing a bit more grinding. I'm absolutely flush with cash off of doing it so much and I have a load of rusted weapons but I've yet to unlock the blacksmith so I can't do anything with them.

My team are all around the level 15+ mark at the moment. With a few of them having unlocked their intermediate job classes. I went with Thief for Felix, Priest for Mercedes ( she's went from a frigile fighter to an absolute beast ) , Mercenary for Byleth and Cavalier for Sylvain. I've got 3 more intermediate seals to use and I'm hoping once I scan the amiibo in for today that I get a couple more. 

Once again, loving that I can play a FE game this way.:yay:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm hoping once I scan the amiibo in for today that I get a couple more.

So, for every Fire Emblem amiibo you have, you can scan them all once per day in game to get in-game rewards?

*goes off to raid box full of amiibo for any character holding a sword, shield, axe, bow or book* :D

Sign in to follow this