NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July 2019)

Thanks @Jonnas. I was inclined to get the season pass asap, especially for the story content (though I actually do like that military outfit for Byleth!)

But I'm alergic to the "noob help" missions clogging up my game. So now I'm not sure if I'm goimng season pass or pick and choose (is that even an option? Hmm).

Thank you @Jonnas. The last two parts of DLC appeal especially. I’ve not played much like this game before but I doubt I’ll want n00b help type stuff. 

At the moment, it’s only possible to buy the expansion pass for £22.49, though I’m hoping each part of DLC will be able to purchase individually they are released.

Just now, Sméagol said:

But I'm alergic to the "noob help" missions clogging up my game. So now I'm not sure if I'm goimng season pass or pick and choose (is that even an option? Hmm).

Just now, Tim B said:

At the moment, it’s only possible to buy the expansion pass for £22.49, though I’m hoping each part of DLC will be able to purchase individually they are released.

Fire Emblem DLC has, traditionally, been able to be bought in parts (especially since the selling points of each part tend to vary wildly). The reason they're not listed as such yet is because they're likely going to be released over a period of time... but the season pass still needs to be sold at launch :heh:

Edited by Jonnas

On 15/07/2019 at 12:54 AM, Jonnas said:

Fire Emblem DLC has, traditionally, been able to be bought in parts (especially since the selling points of each part tend to vary wildly). The reason they're not listed as such yet is because they're likely going to be released over a period of time... but the season pass still needs to be sold at launch :heh:

I'll probably ask again when the game's out but, is there typically any merit to these kind of "auxillary missions" (I'm assuming those are the noob help missions) at all? Like in the form of dialogue or story?

9 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I'll probably ask again when the game's out but, is there typically any merit to these kind of "auxillary missions" (I'm assuming those are the noob help missions) at all? Like in the form of dialogue or story?

These Gold/Exp/Item missions do tend to come with dialogue... all of it comedic. The mission itself, while rich in whatever reward it's meant to have, also comes with an excuse plot, and each one of the characters you field ends up dropping a one-liner. In Awakening, that dialogue was legitimately hilarious ("What if at first ya don't succeed... Retry the level and don't louse it up this time, ya daft arse!"), but that was likely a lucky break, considering the English translation was superb and took liberties with humour. Fates' was similarly lighthearted, but the translation was drier, which means a blander script (I couldn't find transcripts for those, only youtube videos). Echoes had even less of a script for these missions (despite the Awakening translators returning, there wasn't much they could do).

If the trend continues, these will be a comedic missions, and how good that comedy is depends on the rest of the game's writing.

But then again, I just remembered that one of Echoes' DLC contained an extra tier of promotion for every class (so, a Soldier --> Knight --> Baron could now be further upgraded to "Spartan"). These promotions came with new spiffy designs for the units, new animations, and was sure to make the post-game dungeon easier (it was a pretty grueling dungeon). So there might be some sort of value to these DLC missions we don't know about just yet. We don't know specifics yet.

I'm still going back and forth as to whether i'll pick this up or not. I like certain FE games but this one seems to be leaning REALLY heavily into the whole high school setting and relationship building that is popular in the Persona games, which is my least favourite thing about those games. I've watched a few preview videos to see if anything said or shown could help me make my decision but none of them were really helpful. :( 

I know I always ask this...but when is the review embargo up please? Wednesday 2pm BST?

I’ve pre-ordered it recently and now I’m super excited to play it, hopefully on Thursday if ShopTo can get their games out as early as usual.

Edited by Tim B
Typo

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

I know I always ask this...but when is the review embargo up please? Wednesday 2pm BST?

I’ve pre-ordered it recently and now I’m super excited to play it, hopefully on Thursday if ShopTo can get their games our as early as usual.

Seems like review embargo is Thursday 25th at 2pm. 

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, really looking forward to playing this when I have some free time to devote to games.

• Thanks 1

Number 1 on Amazon now. This game is going to be huge.

Hopefully will see some reviews in the 9.0s.

43 minutes ago, Tim B said:

Number 1 on Amazon now. This game is going to be huge.

Hopefully will see some reviews in the 9.0s.

I gotta ask, if you're excited to play it and already have it preordered then why do the reviews and their scores matter to you? 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I gotta ask, if you're excited to play it and already have it preordered then why do the reviews and their scores matter to you? 

Because I trust the opinions of experts as a whole. I really want it to be good.

Just now, Tim B said:

Because I trust the opinions of experts as a whole. I really want it to be good.

Yeah, but you've already preordered it. It seems your mind is already made up, regardless of what random reviewers may think about the game. Even if it somehow does suck (can't see it being the case) your Shopto order will have shipped before the embargo actually ends. :D 

Obviously we know from previews etc. that it’s going to be at least *good*. However, I would like it to be amazing/excellent etc.

Like most Smash players in this part of the world, I’ve never played a Fire Emblem game before. It’s pretty much a brand new genre for me and I’m ready to get stuck into a new experience.

If it helps, this definitely looks poised to be the most successful Fire Emblem ever, and there's a hype train behind it that's higher than any other JRPG from the last decade (except the FFVII remake, I suppose). Fire Emblem fans seem to be brimming with optimism with this game, and that's no small feat (Fire Emblem tends to reinvent itself every few years, which often brings negative comments from fans, but this game has barely produced any).

I'm sure the review scores will be high. This is a high-profile game, the likes of Awakening and Fates won reviewers' hearts, and every preview has been super positive. Nothing short of a spectacularly bad ending could sour that at this point.

Also, on an amusing note, there's a translation of a Famitsu preview, featuring three perspectives: one long-time FE fan, one who only occasionally touches the series, and one who's new to Strategy RPGs entirely. The first guy says "Lots of new stuff, but still has everything you'd want in FE. Here's the new mechanics you should be aware of", second guy gushes a lot about the story and characters, and the third guy... is just excited to learn you can grind levels in this sort of game :laughing: All things considered, this is a cool way to do (p)reviews, especially if it leads to entire paragraphs of someone gushing about basic mechanics.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jonnas said:

and the third guy... is just excited to learn you can grind levels in this sort of game :laughing: 

Annnnnnd sold. Once I have the funds.

If I don't have the option to grind to get past tough stages, I don't want to play Fire Emblem.

• Haha 1

If it helps, this definitely looks poised to be the most successful Fire Emblem ever, and there's a hype train behind it that's higher than any other JRPG from the last decade (except the FFVII remake, I suppose). 

Related image

15 years in the making led to an INSANE amount of hype and record sales for the series.

Fire Emblem fans seem to be brimming with optimism with this game, and that's no small feat (Fire Emblem tends to reinvent itself every few years, which often brings negative comments from fans, but this game has barely produced any).

I dunno, they've been a fair few unhappy comments about the whole high school setting and Persona style interactions. both when it was first shown and up until release. I still remain wary how it's all going to turn out.

Here's the new mechanics you should be aware of", second guy gushes a lot about the story and characters, and the third guy... is just excited to learn you can grind levels in this sort of game 

My kinda person. A man after my own heart. :D 

:'3 I'm so glad that I get paid the day Three house's comes out. I've been so excited for this game! :'3 I'm currently stuck between blue lion and golden deer. 

On one hand I tend to go for the blue team just by default. On the other... The Prince's hair annoys me because it's like a bunch of cheese strings sprouted from his scalp. 

Gold deer however weeks me over because Claude is upside down on the cover... And that is hilarious. Also his voice actor made his announcement video upsidedown... The struggles are real! 

:'3 There are still a few more days to ponder and decide! Thankfully I have Friday off to binge play too!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Related image

15 years in the making led to an INSANE amount of hype and record sales for the series.

Fair enough. Totally forgot that was a thing.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I dunno, they've been a fair few unhappy comments about the whole high school setting and Persona style interactions. both when it was first shown and up until release. I still remain wary how it's all going to turn out.

Are they recent? There was some backlash at first, but the more game we saw, the rarer the complaints got. And they seemingly disappeared entirely after the E3 trailer.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Are they recent? There was some backlash at first, but the more game we saw, the rarer the complaints got. And they seemingly disappeared entirely after the E3 trailer.

It could be the fact that people have either simply accepted that this one isn't for them (something that keeps popping in my head) or they've said their piece and moved on. Others may have just accepted the changes. Hard to say really.

Plus, they've been plenty of complaints/topics on Era about the same sex relationships and the quality of the graphics in both gameplay and cutscenes. Saying that, when do they not complain about stuff over there. :p 

There's certainly fans who aren't completely on board yet. I suppose it just depends where you look.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Plus, they've been plenty of complaints/topics on Era about the same sex relationships and the quality of the graphics in both gameplay and cutscenes. Saying that, when do they not complain about stuff over there. :p 

Going to ResetEra for a fair evaluation of graphics is a doomed venture.

The standards there are way too high, especially for Switch games.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Going to ResetEra is a doomed venture.

The standards there are way too high, especially for everything.

Fixed. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Plus, they've been plenty of complaints/topics on Era about the same sex relationships

To be fair, this is definitely a complaint I'd ignore. Legitimately gay supports have been clamoured for a long time, it's fairly unexplored territory for the series, and it doesn't affect those who don't care for them.

The FE discussions I've seen either loved or didn't comment on the news of same sex relationships, so maybe it's just ResetEra that's being a fuddy-duddy :heh: 

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

To be fair, this is definitely a complaint I'd ignore. Legitimately gay supports have been clamoured for a long time, it's fairly unexplored territory for the series, and it doesn't affect those who don't care for them.

The FE discussions I've seen either loved or didn't comment on the news of same sex relationships, so maybe it's just ResetEra that's being a fuddy-duddy :heh: 

This is probably the case. The outrage culture over on there is ridiculous. 

They have said there will be both male and female same-sex relationships, but ResetEra are doing their usual one liners and flipping the lid ("yikes", "not a good look", "SMH", "...the f**k") because they don't have THE RIGHT kind of same-sex relationships. Basically it's limited to some characters, but not the ones that they want to be gay :indeed:

Welcome to 2019, where NINTENDO of all companies are including great diversity options for those who want them and a bunch of spoiled brat shut-ins on the Internet are still not happy and want to burn the whole thing down. Generation entitlement.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this