NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July 2019)

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

46QOAzM.jpg

:laughing: I could explain why the Japanese image is better, but it's sort of like how you can't explain a joke.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I'll never understand why people get so up in arms about stuff like that. I remember there was a patch to age a character down to match the Japanese one they ages up to make it less creepy. Why does it matter?

I don't really care about supposed ages of characters.  It's like the European version of Dead or Alive: Dimensions - the instruction manual (remember those days?) simply had ages removed for some of the characters; for Sweden's sake, if I recall correctly.  I'm happy with that - it's clear they were meant to be fully-developed women.  Japan just has different ideas of what an adult is, and a lot of people in the West read too much into that.

But where images are altered or ruined is a different matter.  This is art, to a great extent, and changing the visual side lessens it; it really is as simple as that.  There is also the not inconsiderable factor that Nintendo of America's localisation team was particularly SJW at the time of these games in question, and some of us don't like other people's politics forced on us.  If you don't like males appreciating female figures, fine, but don't try and change our games.

Personally, though, I suspect there has been a compromise.  Nintendo isn't so censorious these days, but at the same time I don't think their Japanese games will be so risqué in the first place.  A case of "Nothing censored, but nothing to censor either".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Grazza said:

:laughing: I could explain why the Japanese image is better, but it's sort of like how you can't explain a joke.

I don't really care about supposed ages of characters.  It's like the European version of Dead or Alive: Dimensions - the instruction manual (remember those days?) simply had ages removed for some of the characters; for Sweden's sake, if I recall correctly.  I'm happy with that - it's clear they were meant to be fully-developed women.  Japan just has different ideas of what an adult is, and a lot of people in the West read too much into that.

But where images are altered or ruined is a different matter.  This is art, to a great extent, and changing the visual side lessens it; it really is as simple as that.  There is also the not inconsiderable factor that Nintendo of America's localisation team was particularly SJW at the time of these games in question, and some of us don't like other people's politics forced on us.  If you don't like males appreciating female figures, fine, but don't try and change our games.

Personally, though, I suspect there has been a compromise.  Nintendo isn't so censorious these days, but at the same time I don't think their Japanese games will be so risqué in the first place.  A case of "Nothing censored, but nothing to censor either".

Stuff like this is always going to be a difficult matter. There's no perfect solution that will make everyone happy. But there has to be some sort of line, you can't just leave some games as is and expect it to be OK everywhere.

No censorship what-so-ever is definitely not the solution though. Especially when a Japanese game gets released overseas. But I do agree that there's also an opposite extreme where too much censorship can negatively impact a game.

I have no idea what the perfect balance could be. But if having some censorship means a company feels they can release a game over here, then I can live with it.

I mean, I'd rather have a world where I played the censored Tokyo Mirage Sessions (Ignoring the fact that I actually prefer a lot of the Western changes) than one where it never left Japan.

But again, it's a difficult subject. But an interesting one, none-the-less.

But I do agree with @Ike's sentiment that people whining about all forms of censorship is just stupid. Because it is. Especially that patch he mentioned.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Japanese box art.

00001503_2_package.png

So... I'm not the only one laughing at golden guy being upside down, right? It looks like a meme...

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

So... I'm not the only one laughing at golden guy being upside down, right? It looks like a meme...

@Dcubed specifically pointed out that it's...

h7DD57DD2

• Haha 4

Confirmed to be the NA box art, too: 

Would I be wrong in assuming that we've been getting the same box art as NA over here? Because if not...well, I imagine that we'll be getting it too, and that's some seriously atrocious box art. 

Got to wonder if this is only coincidentally making the limited edition look better... 

• Haha 1

So I'm not the only one who bursts out laughing every time I look at Claude's upside down mug? :laughing: You can barely even tell he's supposed to be holding a bow!

I hope we get a boxart more similar to that of the limited edition...

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

So I'm not the only one who bursts out laughing every time I look at Claude's upside down mug? :laughing: You can barely even tell he's supposed to be holding a bow!

I think that's precisely the reason why I prefer that to the collector's edition art.

After seeing Upside Down Claude, I won't settle for anything else.

• Haha 3

So, it seems that Soeda Ippei (who some of you may recognize as the artist who drew the manly, highly detailed art for Dorcas and Arden in Fire Emblem Heroes) has decided to promote Three Houses all on his own with some beautiful fanart.

Spoiler

D1YNihWVsAAUuSQ.png

Even for fanart, it feels like he brings his A-game. I love his use of colour, and how well the brush strokes are integrated into the painting. Also, his eternal sense of humour.

• Haha 3

...And how he's decided to keep him upside down. This is going to be a thing, right? :grin:

7 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

...And how he's decided to keep him upside down. This is going to be a thing, right? :grin:

Yep.

4 hours ago, Ike said:

Yep.

Well it's no World of Light or Jump Up Superstar is it?

I swear, if Claude's critical animation involves him backflipping with bow in hand, I will laugh for days.

Wow, surprised to see this game isn't (yet) popular in these parts for some reason. Review copies are out to all the usual outlets.

Pre-orders for this game are huge. It's managed to climb up the amazon best sellers list to number 4 already. Looks like this could be even bigger for hardcore gamers than Octopath Traveler was last summer. I imagine the exposure from Smash Ultimate has got an unprecedented number of people excited to try this franchise for the first time.

Edited by Tim B

Plenty pf people here who are excited (I think), but we're just waiting for the game to come out. Personally I can't wait.

Edit:

Also, Lesbians confirmed! Whoo! :p

Edited by Sméagol

Honestly, the school setting kinda killed my hype somewhat but I'm still looking forward to a new "home console" Fire Emblem. I'm a little surprised about the positive previews.

I have a question about the DLC that someone on here might be able to answer. When would be the best time to buy it? At the same time as getting the game, after completing it, or when? It costs £22.49 on its own so I wouldn't want to get this wrong.

Here's the contents of the DLC as listed on the eShop.

Additional Story Content - Planned Release Date: 2020

New Attire - Planned Release Date: 2019

Additional Auxiliary Battles - Planned Release Date: 2019

Additional Quests - Planned Release Date: 2019

Additional Items - Planned Release Date: 2019

Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) - Planned Release Date: 26/07/2019

"We plan to release auxiliary battle maps by 31/10/2019. Multiple map types are planned, and they will feature increased number of enemies that drop items."

Edited by Tim B

It's getting extremely positive reactions from all the previews I've seen, definitely sounds like a good one.

I'd be keen if it was a 20 hour campaign (with 3 different paths providing variety), I haven't got enough motivation for a 60 hour turn based game.

I haven't posted much here, but in the E3 thread I did mention how hype that timeskip trailer was. I'm pumped for this game. Still picking Golden Deer, and if I really can recruit one student from another house, then Dorothea it is! Also, I really hope Claude turns out to be as interesting as I think he is.

3 hours ago, Tim B said:

I have a question about the DLC that someone on here might be able to answer. When would be the best time to buy it? At the same time as getting the game, after completing it, or when? It costs £22.49 on its own so I wouldn't want to get this wrong.

Depends heavily on what you want out of it. Judging from previous games in the series, I most definitely don't recommend getting everything for its own sake, buy the parts that you want instead. The DLC is unlikely to ever be on sale, too. I also would recommend getting acquainted with the game a bit before even considering buying the DLC.

Not sure what your experience with past games is, so I'll give you a rundown on what to expect of each part:

• Officers Academy Uniform (Byleth) - Planned Release Date: 26/07/2019
  • New Attire - Planned Release Date: 2019

These are cosmetic. Get them only if you really like those costumes.

• Additional Auxiliary Battles - Planned Release Date: 2019
  • Additional Items - Planned Release Date: 2019

These fall into "noob help" content. If you're struggling with money, experience, items, etc. these can give you a boost. Or reduce grinding, if you're doing a speedy run. Get them early if you're having trouble with the game's difficulty, or if you think you can speed up the more tedious parts of the game. For difficult missions, I always recommend you try to beat them on your own since it's more gratifying, but it all comes down to how you, personally, want to enjoy this game (for example, if you're only in it for the story, I could understand not wanting to deal with difficult missions).

• Additional Story Content - Planned Release Date: 2020

This is the kind of DLC I personally would get. If you enjoy the lore, characters, etc. then this is likely to contain backstory missions, insightful conversations, epilogues, and the like. If you want to know more about Fódlan, go ahead and get this, but only after you've completed the game at least once.

• Additional Quests - Planned Release Date: 2019

This is a tricky one. I don't know yet if these extra quests fall into "story" value, or "noob help" value. Or even "difficult challenge" value. We'll have to wait until they reveal what these quests actually are.

So, any of those sound appealing?

Sign in to follow this