NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (26th July 2019)

Such a long wait.. Nothing else from the Direct interests me, except for Echoes, but I don't have a 3DS.

Confirming for me I really NEED this. But Spring 2019? <sigh> Luckily there's enough to play, and Valkyria Chronicles will be there for my strategy fix (after Donkey Kong Adventure).

Edited by Sméagol

Lol...and here I thought this was a new announcement. Guess there are two threads I created today that can be locked and thrown away :D

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Lol...and here I thought this was a new announcement. Guess there are two threads I created today that can be locked and thrown away :D

We have been waiting (and will continue to wait) for a long time. :indeed:

I hate the title. It's so childish and simple. I hate it.

But I like what I see. A lot. 

Looks amazing, but I’m very disappointed that it’s come out after 18 months of being left in the dark to be revealed as being delayed into 2019.

But alas. This autumn is packed as it is ::shrug:

So, it wasn't a pirate/sea setting after all. Kinda disappointing that we're sticking with the traditional medieval setting.

What isn't disappointing is everything else. This game looks fresh, it's like they're reinventing a lot of FE tropes (as they tend to do every time they enter a new gen, true enough). The menus remind me a lot of Radiant Dawn's "papery" style, which I was a fan of. Plus, even if the character costumes look a tad overdesigned, it's nothing like Awakening's toilet helmets, or Camilla's lingerie armor. What I'm trying to say is that I like the new artist. I think it might be the same artist that worked on the Trauma Center games for the Wii, which had a really cool look.

Yup, I'm excited. Can't wait to learn more :grin:

• Like 1

The more I watch the trailer, the more I can’t wait. Picked up Awakening the other day, which will be my first FE game, and I plan to get into it as soon as my exams are done.

Really like the video description that they put out alongside it. Were troop formations in recent/previous games?

A brand-new Fire Emblem game with a new story and characters is coming to Nintendo Switch. The game takes place on Fódlan, where the Church of Seiros exercises great power over the land and its people. This turn-based tactical RPG will put new strategic twists on battling, with formations of troops supporting individual units on the battlefield.

Fódlan? Besides that name being hilarious in the Portuguese language, I'm wondering if this means we're going to get some Irish/Celtic naming conventions for this game.

Just now, Julius Caesar said:

The more I watch the trailer, the more I can’t wait. Picked up Awakening the other day, which will be my first FE game, and I plan to get into it as soon as my exams are done.

Really like the video description that they put out alongside it. Were troop formations in recent/previous games?

Troop formations are a new thing. In previous games, each unit represented just themselves, but this time, it seems each character represents a small force. Can't wait to see some gameplay!

Good luck with Awakening! I hear newcomers who started with that one love it. I know I liked it (though I was already a veteran to the series when I played it). If you ever need some tips, just ask :)

• Thanks 1

I think the extra soldiers are largely cosmetic, but it definitely looks awesome, giving battles a more epic feel.

Ok, rewatching the trailer, reading some comments, and checking the info they released, I noticed a few things:

• There's a "formation" option on the action menu, meaning that troops may actually influence gameplay directly;
  • "Magic" and "Attack" are different options, which is very curious. Usually, they're the same thing, with the exception being Fire Emblem Echoes (which had an entirely different system for items, equipment and magic). Seeing as we already saw weapon durability, it's unlikely this is a system like Echoes, so it's probably something entirely new. Maybe characters have healing/support spells, and the cleric/priest class has been discarded? Would make sense, if each character leads their army now;
  • Other than Fódlan, we also have names like "Fergus", "Garg Mac" and "Leicester". Plus, you can see a tartan patter on a soldier for a couple of frames in one of the CGI scenes. The celtic theme is pretty much confirmed at this point;
  • There are three important characters, one for each House... and they all have surnames. This is extremely rare for the FE series (there are 700+ characters in the series, and I think less than 10 of them had surnames up until now);
  • One of the characters is clearly a player avatar... but they do not look like the main character at all. Rather, it's the lady called Edgelord Edelgard that seems to act like a protagonist during these scenes.

Oh yeah, I'm excited for this game :grin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks like Formations are replacing the Pair Up mechanic? I guess different formations will give you different stat boosts. You can see them switch to an arrow formation at 1:33 of the trailer and the soldiers rush in. The stat boosts may become less effective if you lose these backup units. Feels a little Advance Wars-y.

Edelgard looks like she has the Vantage skill. The menu also shows an option for Combat Arts so they seem to be returning from Echoes.

Doesn't look like there's a weapon triangle.

Archers can counter at close range.

The red lines are enemies that are in range?

I wonder if the castle is going to be similar to My Castle from Fates and you can customise it and this is where you can interact with your units, which they show in the trailer.

Girl at the end looks like Tiki, but it's hard to tell for sure.

That trailers gonna get watched a lot between now and Spring.

• Thanks 1

@Serebii, update OP and title!

26-07-2019

And a limited edition coming out.

Edit: and it's looking glorious:

R9NzacKGb07WJEKEdD8Gg3-J5zkpncRh.jpg

It's a long wait. But it looks awesome.

Real question now of course is:

Will we get Nendoroids of Sothis and Edelgard?

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Overall I prefer the US version, with exception of the pins. Outer box looks better, and I don't care for a USB stick.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Overall I prefer the US version, with exception of the pins. Outer box looks better, and I don't care for a USB stick.

I prefer the pins over the calendar but I would rather have the CD over the USB stick. :p 

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

I feel like Fire Emblem is focussing too much on what is not really a game but rather a simulator for relationships and such. The SRPG-parts of FE are really good but this part seems to be toned down in this game over the rest of the content. I hope I'm wrong but if not, this just isn't a game for me.

I also hope it comes with the Casual modes that Fates had, without permadeath. It makes the game better for me.

I haven't played all that many Fire Emblems (just Sacred Stones and Awakening, if I recall correctly), but I thought they were both brilliant.  My take on the whole "relationships" thing is that it made it a bit more interesting that certain pairs had a bond, if only just because it made them more effective when fighting side-by-side.  Awakening introduced marriage (if I'm correct), and though I don't really understand the whole "waifu" thing, to me it just added a little bit of enjoyment to form a closer bond with one of them.  I don't really care whether it's in it or not, I just don't want a watered-down version of what the Japanese got.  Fates was censored so much, I assumed it was a given that the Switch game wouldn't have anything as controversial in it.  In short, however much this ends up focusing on relationships, I still think this has a chance of being a very respectable S-RPG.

I'm definitely late, but here are my impressions:

• A lot in this trailer reminded me of the Persona series. The art style, the academic setting, the semi-silent protagonist with a set appearance, "character-that-manages-your-powers/progress-that-only-the-main-character-can-see"... This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it might be the first time I see IS take such blatant inspiration from elsewhere;
  • I'm hoping that "choosing a house" isn't a strict trinary choice. That concept already used in FE Fates so, not only is it not new, it left a bad taste in the fandom's mouth. Instead, I'm hoping that, since you're the teacher, and you get to pick favourites, it's a choice that will be made gradually over the course of the game;
  • So far, I'm really liking the bits of lore we've had. It already sounds better thought out than in Awakening or Fates (especially when you see the map, and see that there are more countries besides the main three). Much like in the Tellius games, it sounds like a lot of care was put into building this game's world, and that's fantastic, because the lore from that game was the best one in the series yet;
  • The characters don't seem to have unique base classes. I'm guessing it'll be like the villagers in Echoes, where you can build them into the class of your choice. I hadn't seen such bold levels of customization since the reclass system Shadow Dragon;
  • I saw a "horse-riding" and a "pegasus-riding" rank, both of which are new to the series. I wonder if it's like weapon ranks (so, several perks the higher your level is), or if all it does is unlock classes. I'm interested to see how is it that you build those ranks. Maybe you can equip horses on a base noble this time around?;
  • Edelgard is seen at one point wielding an axe while her battalion is using lances. I'm wondering if this is a new mechanic with tangible results, instead of just aesthetics. It would definitely bring a new dimension to combat.

And for some random musings/theories:

• Golden Deer looks like the best House so far, but the Black Eagles are a very close second. Dimitri's got some overwhelming competition;
  • There's a character called Linhardt :laughing: Who said FE Heroes doesn't influence the main series?
  • "The noble Edelgard has just been promoted into a Brigand" :blank:
  • I have a strong suspicion that the country of "Almyra" will have a middle eastern setting. It's either that, or overly Spanish. I do hope it's the former, though.

As for the "waifu" thing... it's far too early to see how that'll pan out. That said, I'm not too enthused about the prospect of dating students, even if Dorothea is a total cutie.

On 14/02/2019 at 4:36 PM, Grazza said:

I haven't played all that many Fire Emblems (just Sacred Stones and Awakening, if I recall correctly), but I thought they were both brilliant.  My take on the whole "relationships" thing is that it made it a bit more interesting that certain pairs had a bond, if only just because it made them more effective when fighting side-by-side.  Awakening introduced marriage (if I'm correct), and though I don't really understand the whole "waifu" thing, to me it just added a little bit of enjoyment to form a closer bond with one of them.  I don't really care whether it's in it or not, I just don't want a watered-down version of what the Japanese got.  Fates was censored so much, I assumed it was a given that the Switch game wouldn't have anything as controversial in it.  In short, however much this ends up focusing on relationships, I still think this has a chance of being a very respectable S-RPG.

-Awakening didn't introduce romantic pairings, but it brought back marriage and children (concepts not seen since the SNES). It was one of the many previously-unique things that Awakening decided to bring back and rework.

-The supposed censorship in Fates was blown completely out of proportion. The only things the localization team censored were the face-petting mini-game (which they took out) and a conversation in which Corrin drugs a lesbian into liking men (which they changed into a "visualization exercise", with the same end result). If it's one of those two changes that bothers you, fair enough, but everything else stayed the same, regardless of how problematic it was. Every other change that the fandom cried about were standard adaptation choices (like tweaking characters' personalities), so I wouldn't expect anything significant to be changed.

There was also the censorship in Awakening where Tharja was wearing a swimsuit and the Western release covered up her butt in a hilarious way.

Adding to this there was a conversation that was also altered. In the Japanese version there is a reference made to Tharja's breasts but this was changed over here to something about her hair being shiny.

Not strictly a true FE game but wasn't Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the Wii U also censored? I seem to remember many fans kicking off about skin being covered up in the Western version.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

There was also the censorship in Awakening where Tharja was wearing a swimsuit and the Western release covered up her butt in a hilarious way.

Adding to this there was a conversation that was also altered. In the Japanese version there is a reference made to Tharja's breasts but this was changed over here to something about her hair being shiny.

Oh yeah, the beach DLC. The censorship made it look more risqué than it really was! :laughing: Funnily enough, it was exclusively the European release that did that. American version was left alone. Bizarre thing, that was.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Not strictly a true FE game but wasn't Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the Wii U also censored? I seem to remember many fans kicking off about skin being covered up in the Western version.

I honestly don't know. Probably, considering the game's theme.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Here you go. A video going into detail on the changes we got. Expect lots of cleavage...

It's a really strange situation because while a lot of effort went into making the game less risque, (we're talking completely different costumes and redone dialogue recordings) some outfits still slipped through (Tsubasa's soft drink commercial bikini, for example)

Of course, idiot gamers were all over the place stating the game was ruined because boobs were covered up. Meanwhile, sensible people like me think that most of the changes were for the better.

46QOAzM.jpg

Those western outfits are so much more appealing! I'm pretty sure those were the costumes I used the most.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Oh yeah, the beach DLC. The censorship made it look more risqué than it really was! :laughing: Funnily enough, it was exclusively the European release that did that. American version was left alone. Bizarre thing, that was.

The European version left the Tharja image but changed the dialog, where the American version censored the image and left the dialog. There's some weird inconsistency going on even in the same region.

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Of course, idiot gamers were all over the place stating the game was ruined because boobs were covered up. Meanwhile, sensible people like me think that most of the changes were for the better.

I'll never understand why people get so up in arms about stuff like that. I remember there was a patch to age a character down to match the Japanese one they ages up to make it less creepy. Why does it matter?

Sign in to follow this