NEurope
Ashley

Nicknames

Remember, remember...

:p

I did not know you have 9 names, by the way. Good lord.

Ya bastard. :heh:

Well...I did have 9 names up until very recently. I had it officially shortened just a few months ago, after years of pondering over whether or not I should do it. Things are much easier now. Having such a long name was a pain in lots of different ways. E.g. my driver's licence didn't contain my full name as it didn't have enough space for it. Any paper based forms where I had to put my official name were difficult, as I had to include a continuation sheet just for the name. There have been lots of comical incidences over the years. :blush:

Ya bastard. :heh:

Well...I did have 9 names up until very recently. I had it officially shortened just a few months ago, after years of pondering over whether or not I should do it. Things are much easier now. Having such a long name was a pain in lots of different ways. E.g. my driver's licence didn't contain my full name as it didn't have enough space for it. Any paper based forms where I had to put my official name were difficult, as I had to include a continuation sheet just for the name. There have been lots of comical incidences over the years. :blush:

How did you decide which names to get rid of?

I like being called Daft on PSN or IRL by @ReZourceman.

Otherwise I insist on being called 'Nicholas'. I absolutely hate being called 'Nick'. It's not my fucking name.

I am the opposite. Only my dad calls me Nicholas, in that awful, condescending, "I know better" way.

I have quite a few nicknames. Mostly people use Dazz or Dazzle and I prefer it over my name. I am called Bug by my family because I was a "right bugger" as a kid. Beast by a couple of mates in the gym. Carlton when I was in school because I could do Carlton's dance from The Fresh Prince. Oreo by my best friend because I'm mixed race (chocolate and vanilla, hehe- I call her Munchkin because of her small height. We have that kind of friendship).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I actually really like the name João, especially since I learnt how to say it! Although I only really know two Portuguese people (and have met a few friends of one of them but wouldn't really class them as friends). One of them is a João and the other has a brother called João.

See? So common, you already ran into two of'em :heh:

But seriously, congrats on pronouncing it :) That has to be a hallmark for any Portuguese-learner.

Also, someone at work started calling me "Joe" today. I wonder if the thread has anything to do with it...

See? So common, you already ran into two of'em :heh:

But seriously, congrats on pronouncing it :) That has to be a hallmark for any Portuguese-learner.

Also, someone at work started calling me "Joe" today. I wonder if the thread has anything to do with it...

Ha, with a bit of guidance from my friend Luís! And thankfully his name came with the IPA when I first met him (on Twitter).

How did you decide which names to get rid of?

There are 9 altogether, with the 9th being my surname. My 7th ,8th and 9th names are what I've mostly gone by throughout my life as they were my "own names". Basically, names 1-6 were "tributes" to my grandfather's family as they were names which were passed down to me. (although, saying that, I was the first member of my family to have these names passed on to...I have no idea why I was chosen for that!)

When I was given my name, my Grandfather put the tribute names first and then added on "Jamal Rasool" (names 7 and 8) at the end, before the surname. My Grandmother (I was brought up by my grandparents) was adamant that I have JR somewhere in my name as my family were huuuuge Dallas fans prior to my birth. So, that covers "Jamal Rasool"...

My Grandfather wasn't a very practical person. He would come up with ideas all the time but didn't think about the long-term impact of those decisions. Hence why he'd choose a bizarre name for an almost "romantic" sort of idea without really understanding that it could cause an issue. To me, it would have made much more sense to have Jamal at the beginning of the name as that's my "own" name, rather than it being the 7th one.

When it came to shortening it, it made sense to just go by the last three as "Jamal" is the one I've mostly used throughout my life and, as I was planning to keep the surname anyway, I decided to keep Rasool along with it.

I would come up with a nickname for this other Ashley pretty quickly. Whoever gets one that sticks first will be stuck with it!

Rizz - Someone from school, no idea why.

These days most friends call me Grim. I guess they just think I'm a bit grim.

I've never really had nicknames - I guess because i'm usually the one coming up with the nicknames for other people. When you're that guy, you tend to get to keep your own name.

my name is Hannah. There aren't that many in my circle (also Hannah isn't a really common nick here as we have Hanna as a surname, I was named after a Margaret Hanna). I believe its more common in Wales, Scot & England

I get H from my dad, Han from my close friends, nerk from my sister (long story), Hannah from anyone else. And nearly EVERY FUCKER ON THIS PLANET spells my forename Hanna NO YOU MONSTERS.

Sending a work email with my name on it numerous times [email protected] and theyre like alright Hanna thanks NO NO NO JUST NO. It makes me rage so hard. Why can't you see whats in front of your face its so bloody unprofessional!!!

I know about 5 Hannahs, and i've never seen it spelt Hanna. Must be a N. Irish thing?

I know about 5 Hannahs, and i've never seen it spelt Hanna. Must be a N. Irish thing?

Hannah as a forename isn't very common here. But Hanna is a common surname (like I said above) so i'm sure that's where the confusion comes from.

My parents call be Bubba occasionally. Very few people me Matthew. Most just call me Nolan, which while it's my surname I kinda prefer over my first name of Matt. Some close friends refer to me directly as Matt Nolan, even over the phone when they've called me they use my full name.

My Grandmother (I was brought up by my grandparents) was adamant that I have JR somewhere in my name as my family were huuuuge Dallas fans prior to my birth.

jr-ewing.jpg

This is how i'm going to picture you from now on

A few variations in my time, Dex, Dexter, Derekio, Dezzie D, Dubya, Don Shabba.

Beech is what my missus and I refer to each other as.

Dek/Dekky is what my Mum/Dad/Brother sometimes call me.

Sasquatch, or the full name Thank You Sasquatch, was a name I got at Tesco. One colleague just asked if he could call me Sasquatch one time, said it was fine, and it stuck.