NEurope
Ashley

Nicknames

Recently at work there's been another Ashley that has started and I'm in an unusual position whereby there's someone else with my name (should out to all the Joshes, Dans and Nicks :heh:).

They keep saying one of us should adopt a nickname (even though I've been there longer and I'm older so I think I should keep Ashley). They also seem reluctant to call me Alejo which is a joke Spanish-alt version of my name a friend gave me, I think perhaps because they're not sure how to pronounce it.

I've never really had a nickname. Obviously some people call me Ash (and I always find it interesting when people just decide to do that without asking if I care) and while I don't really mind if people do, I'm never going to suggest people do because I prefer Ashley.

What about you guys, you got any nicknames? Either a variation on your name or just some random nickname you got, and if so what's the story?

I suggest Boy Ashley and Girl Ashley. Unless the other Ashley is male, too. Then I guess you'll have to fight for dominance.

I had the same name as my old manager. Fortunately, everyone called him by his last name, so that worked out for me.

Radi. Short for Rademacher, my surname.

When I started playing football there were 4 guys, including me, with the same first name. My coach thought of nicknames for each of us so that's where I got mine. That was almost 22 years ago. The nickname stuck and basically everyone except my mom, sister and most of the bosses that I've worked for calls me that.

I actually prefer people calling me Radi.

At school we used surnames instead of first names and mine was always changed to Coxy, which was fine. No one calls me that now. Nowadays I'm just Will to friends and Will-chan to the guys at work, now I find it weird if someone doesn't use Will-chan in the office.

I like nicknames a lot, as long as they come out naturally and everyone is happy with them I think it makes a nice bond between people.

My name "João" is way too common in Portuguese, so people started calling me "Jonas" (pronounced "Jaw-nush"), which I write as Jonnas in English. I don't quite know when it started, but most of my friends call me that (or sometimes a variation of "John", "Johnny", etc).

Though now that I'm abroad, my name's weird enough that almost nobody thinks I need a nickname :heh:

I suggest Boy Ashley and Girl Ashley. Unless the other Ashley is male, too. Then I guess you'll have to fight for dominance.

I had the same name as my old manager. Fortunately, everyone called him by his last name, so that worked out for me.

We're both boys :(

My name "João" is way too common in Portuguese, so people started calling me "Jonas" (pronounced "Jaw-nush"), which I write as Jonnas in English. I don't quite know when it started, but most of my friends call me that (or sometimes a variation of "John", "Johnny", etc).

Though now that I'm abroad, my name's weird enough that almost nobody thinks I need a nickname :heh:

I actually really like the name João, especially since I learnt how to say it! Although I only really know two Portuguese people (and have met a few friends of one of them but wouldn't really class them as friends). One of them is a João and the other has a brother called João.

We're both boys :(

Boy Ashley and Man Ashley, then. Oh! I also like Ashley and Ashlo.

I actually really like the name João

No one's going to call you João, Ashley...

It was Jam through secondary school, a select group of friends still call me jam, Everyone else it's just James.

how about Ashley and DiscountAshley? or if one of you has facial hair they can be called Mustache

I've always been Chris but when i worked somewhere and a Kris joined they started calling us by our surnames, not overly keen on that

In highschool, whilst on the bus home some guy who thought he was funny called me Chipmunk because he said i looked like the ones in the cartoon, more specifically Theodore not even the cool one! - he promptly got a black eye

Yeah fuck you @Ashley and your lack of shout out to Chrises! I bet it's the most common name on the forum here. Although I'm not actually going to bet on it. I do wonder about that generationally though - I'd say the most common I saw growing up etc was probably Dans, Chrises, and Matt(hew)s. In my social circles that overlap atm I think we have a duplicate Simon, duplicate Annie, few Bens, Nicola/oles, and maybe a couple Jon/Johns.

As for nicknames - I think my main one's pretty clear; though I have accumulated quite a few over the years!

Where I work we have 4 Roberts and 6 Johns.

The Roberts are all know as Rob, Bob, Bobby and Robert which everyone is happy with.

With the Johns we just refer to them as 'Department Name' John or John 'Initial'.

Two people with the same name shouldn't cause too much of an issue unless your name constantly gets shouted out in order to find out where you are.

If people want to talk to you they'll come see you, if people need to refer to you when you're not in the same room they'll just use your surname.

I like being called Daft on PSN or IRL by @ReZourceman.

Otherwise I insist on being called 'Nicholas'. I absolutely hate being called 'Nick'. It's not my fucking name.

There's about 70 people employed by the company I work for. From our movements sheet:

is4pLEv.png

10% of us are called James. I go by "Pike". We also have a Jim, a JJ, a JP (even though that's my initials too), and others just get the full name treatment whenever they're referred to.

I sometimes get called "Deano". It's a very creative nickname.

As for nicknames - I think my main one's pretty clear; though I have accumulated quite a few over the years!

What's your main one? Rummy is clearly your real name.

Usually people call me Shagmaster 3000 or King Dong.

This thread is about nicknames, not what you were christened.

@Ashley You should go by A.J. - It has a nice ring to it. Like, "Hey A.J. what's up? You missed Dragon's Den again? Man, you suck"

Lucky for me I've only come across one other Josh and he wasn't in my close circle of friends so never really had to have a nickname. I'm also too lazy to make one for myself which is why most of my online handles have really catchy numbers like Josh64128.

I'm also too lazy to make one for myself which is why most of my online handles have really catchy numbers like Josh64128.

With a nickname like that, it's a good thing you don't know any other Joshes in real life. It'd be especially annoying if the other Joshes had a similar lack of imagination.

Years ago my girlfriend gave me the nickname 'sumo' and I really hated the name. Got used to it now hence my name here.

Going back to your work situation maybe have a word with the other Ashley and see what they think. Maybe they are ok with being called Ash or something else.

I don't know your work situation at all but that's what I would do.

I've had this situation at work before with a new person with the same name as me and I refused to change my name for them or for work. We ended up just using the same name since it's our names and there were very few issues.

Edited by sumo73

how about Ashley and DiscountAshley? or if one of you has facial hair they can be called Mustache

I do have a beard...

I like being called Daft on PSN or IRL by @ReZourceman.

Otherwise I insist on being called 'Nicholas'. I absolutely hate being called 'Nick'. It's not my fucking name.

Weirdly I always refer to ReZ in real life by his surname. I don't know why. It just seems befitting.

Usually people call me Shagmaster 3000 or King Dong.

I thought I recognised you from somewhere...

tumblr_nls5kg6yOy1qi4p4vo1_400.gif

@Ashley You should go by A.J. - It has a nice ring to it. Like, "Hey A.J. what's up? You missed Dragon's Den again? Man, you suck"

Lucky for me I've only come across one other Josh and he wasn't in my close circle of friends so never really had to have a nickname. I'm also too lazy to make one for myself which is why most of my online handles have really catchy numbers like Josh64128.

AJ is very American.

I can still remember when I figured out what those random numbers meant ;)

Going back to your work situation maybe have a word with the other Ashley and see what they think. Maybe they are ok with being called Ash or something else.

It's been mentioned enough times that if he had a preference he'd have said. I think he's keeping shtum for a reason.

Generally has always been foreign variations of my name - Paulo and Pablo I get a lot, Mr Paul too.

In the last year I got a proper nickname, my colleagues at work call me The Beast, or just Beast. Not because I'm big and scary, not because I'm an X-Man, and not because I look like the fat man from The Chase, but because I'm amazing.

I'm a slightly more unusual case in that my nickname is basically now my real name.

My original name was very long, 9 names in total. (think pretty much everyone on here knows that) I was referred to as "Jamal", but somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6 my Mum started calling me "Jim" as a nickname. We were in a very white area at the time and being pretty much the only darker skinned kid about until my brothers joined in playgroups, nursery and school, I guess the logic was that it would help me fit in more or that it would be easier for others to pronounce. Strangely enough, I still call my brother by his nickname, too. I rarely use his real name.

My friends in primary school used to call me both Jim and Jamal. It was the same in high school and at uni. Gradually, more and more people called me Jim, so it just became the name I used when I introduced myself. @Eenuh never calls me Jamal. At work, my closer colleagues and friends will call me Jim and the rest call me Jamal.

It's a similar sort of situation on here. I think it was Platty all those years back that called me "Flink" and that's pretty much stuck since. It's quite strange how I have a similar situation in both the real and online world. I quite like all of the variations. Some friends will joke and call me JimJam. Some have called me "flinky" on here.

Some have called me "flinky" on here.

Remember, remember...

flinky

adjective, flinkier, flinkiest

1) being a sad and horrible FIFA player

'Fierce_LiNk is so flinky'

'Fierce_LiNk is the flinkiest person on earth'

2) being bad at everything in life

'Dude, you're so flinky when you play FIFA'

:p

I did not know you have 9 names, by the way. Good lord.

Strangely enough, I still call my brother by his nickname, too. I rarely use his real name.

I still call my brothers by their nicknames, but that's because they still live up to them - Dick and Beaver.