NEurope
Sméagol

Your film diary 2017

Having never seen any Studio Ghibli movies, I'm digging into those at the moment!

Spirited Away

I can't really fault this movie in any way, everything about it is utterly beautiful. Loved the way Yubaba runs around.

My Neighbour Totoro

This might be the greatest animated movie of all time. The two sisters are absolutely adorable and Totoro himself is pretty much completely insane.

Having never seen any Studio Ghibli movies, I'm digging into those at the moment!

Spirited Away

I can't really fault this movie in any way, everything about it is utterly beautiful. Loved the way Yubaba runs around.

My Neighbour Totoro

This might be the greatest animated movie of all time. The two sisters are absolutely adorable and Totoro himself is pretty much completely insane.

6900212f7a6d51dbbb28903150965092.jpg

John Wick (2014)

Yes. So much yes.

From the gunshot sounds to the point blank headshots to the "not sparing the hottie" to the castmembers of The Wire.

Only thing i found somewhat weird/cliche is that John takes out a shit ton of people without too much effort. Sometimes there's a bit of a scuffle but John always wins. Then, at the end he fights an old guy who you never see working out and likes to smoke weed. Why is he the one giving John the biggest challenge?

Passengers (2016)

Meh.

Who is the bad guy? The engine fire? Or the meteor that caused it in the first place?

Why can they vent the fire when its some high tech machinery and one is a mechanic [kind of a vague, yet broad discription] and the other a writer.

Its in space, and the ship is large, almost ark sized. Yet nothing ever feels epic.

Have to say i was pleasantly suprised about Chris Pratt character. Well, its seriousness. Most of the time, i see Pratt as a goof or clown.

The Village (2004)

I ruined the movie for myself because i already knew about some plot twist. Other than that, i dont understand why Shyamalan movies get so much hate.

They Live (1988)

Production value seems to be less then what i spend anually on tampons, but its a bit of a cult classic. The movie features a lot of images i've seen many times before, but i never knew what the source was. This movie is that source.

Doctor Strange (2016)

Pff, visually its was pretty cool, but its also the strong point of the movie. Acting/story should be a movie's strong point, but ok. I was done with the Marvel Cinematic Universe a couple of movies ago, yet i still keep checking them.

I was pretty interested as to how the Infinity War would turn out, but since Marvel is usa and the Avengers are Team America World Police, Thanos will most likely be beaten, even if he is the most powerfull being in the universe.

Hacksaw Ridge. Really awesome, great cinematography and the battle scenes were brutal.

Gold. Felt extremely long and drawn out. Felt like it could have been about an hour shorter

Rings. Absolutely dreadful. The jump scared were mostly predictable, and it was the only type of horror in the entire film - no tension or creepy bits. The biggest scare is someone opening an umbrella. Plot is extremely dull, acting is bad and it's not even terrible in an amusing way.

Jurassic Park (1993)

Timeless classic. This was the movie that helped me deceide i wanted to become an archeologist.

Super 8 was on yesterday and, although I've already seen it once, I just couldn't help but watch it. I really like it. In a way, it was Stranger Things before Stranger Things was itself. It's clearly made to appeal to that E.T. and Goonies audience and it succeeds. There's also a few nice little stories that take place within it that just tie together nicely at the end. I'm a big fan of it.

Suicide Squad (2016)

Utter Guardians of the Galaxy rip off. Including classic songs that were also used in Guardians of the Galaxy. I mean, come on.

If the Marvel Cinematic wasnt a thing, this movie would have never seen the light of day.

Protip: mute the sound and fap to Margo Robbie scenes.

Also, why am i always rooting for the "bad guys"?

Same as in X-Men: Apocalypse

Apocalypse can only be viewed as bad guy from a human point of view, but he's trying to rid the world of humans who, lets be honest, are fucking it up. Apocalypse is the hero, humans are the bad guys.

Terminator Genisys (2015)

I love T1, T2 and Salvation, but not this one. Like Inception, im getting the feeling i should think the movie is cool because its so complex.

Also, as stated in the spoiler above

John Conner is not a bad guy, he's the next step in human evolution. Offcourse, fleshy humans who are obsolete are supper jelly and butthurt about it and want him dead.

Edited by Naar

Dancer in the Dark

It destroyed me the first time and yesterday it was the same.

Björk's performance is one of the best if not the best performances I've ever seen in a movie.

:(

The LEGO Batman Movie. Loved every moment of it. Lots of jokes, a decent message and just a ton of fun.

iBoy (2017)

iBoyBanner.jpg

After an accident, Tom wakes from a coma to discover that fragments of his smart phone have been embedded in his head, and worse, that returning to normal teenage life is impossible because he has developed a strange set of super powers.

So its a superhero movie, but that took me over 45 minutes to realize. Its a Netflix movie, wich is USA based, right? Well, the movie takes place somewhere in Great Brittain. Also, it doesnt feel "OMG USA TEH BEST". The only weird thing is the background music during conversation scenes. Its probably meant to add dramatic effect, but it felt misplaced. I think there's room for a sequal.

John Wick 2

Freaking awesome film. I loved the first one and they somehow managed to top the original with this. The gunplay is still amazing to watch and the way he reloads some of the guns in this movie is just amazing. It was also great to see Peter Stormare make a cheeky appearance right at the start. I love that guy. :D

Patriots Day

Love me a good true story and some Mark Walhberg, so this was right up my street.

Outside of the main bombing I never took much notice of what else went on with this 2013 event. Obviously the filmmakers fill in a lot of blanks with what can only be what they thought happened or what was said, but it still made for some very intense and very good viewing.

I really enjoyed the message of the film that was given at the end. Very touching and true.

I'm off to see Fences tonight. Been wanting to see it for ages ( US got it last year ) and Denzel is always a winner to watch. Can't wait. : peace:

Spirited Away

My Neighbour Totoro

If you've not been before you should go to East Street (confusingly, not on East Street). Do decent food at a good price, but also project Ghibli films on the walls. Last time I was there they were showing Totoro and Mononoke.

I finally watched Arrival last night and really enjoyed it. Made me want to look more into how original translations were handled.

So, I seen Fences the other day. Denzel was absolutely brilliant in it but other than that I thought the film was pretty bad.

The film just didn't seem to go anywhere and completely dragged on in the final third and then it just ended. Very disappointed. :(

I'm off to see Logan tomorrow. Hopefully that will be more to my liking.

I saw A Cure For Wellness last night and loved it. Really disturbing/creepy/fucked up. Absolutely gorgeously shot in places/for large parts. Dane DeHaan is absolutely awesome, love him. Great movie.

Dancer in the Dark

It destroyed me the first time and yesterday it was the same.

Björk's performance is one of the best if not the best performances I've ever seen in a movie.

:(

I felt the need to echo this post as I finally ended up watching Dancer in the Dark for the first time last night, despite being a fan of Björk's music for a fair while, I just hadn't gotten around to it.

It's such a beautiful and genuinely moving performance from her all the way through, to the bitter end which completely floored me. :(

There's an excellent supporting cast in there as well, a genuinely thought-provoking story and some really nice set-pieces. :D

I cannot recommend it enough. :heart:

I saw A Cure For Wellness last night and loved it. Really disturbing/creepy/fucked up. Absolutely gorgeously shot in places/for large parts. Dane DeHaan is absolutely awesome, love him. Great movie.

Just decided to go and see this. I had already heard a few good things but yours tipped me over the edge!

Just decided to go and see this. I had already heard a few good things but yours tipped me over the edge!

Hope you like it. I was surprised to see the RT score after the film. My friend who saw it the day before loved it and the friend I saw it with loved ot too.

Here is my full review.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WOTvF6tCML0

Just watched Logan. Thought it was great. Lots of great action and very touching.

Hope you like it. I was surprised to see the RT score after the film. My friend who saw it the day before loved it and the friend I saw it with loved ot too.

Here is my full review.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=WOTvF6tCML0

It thought it was a bit rubbish actually haha. There were some gorgeous shots but the story was a mishmash of other stories and plots all put into one. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen in a while, just very average. I also have no idea why it's an 18.

It thought it was a bit rubbish actually haha. There were some gorgeous shots but the story was a mishmash of other stories and plots all put into one. It wasn't the worst movie I've seen in a while, just very average. I also have no idea why it's an 18.

Dang, sorry to hear that. :(

Logan was siiiick.

First Knight (1995)

large_lXrYOk7O6Fryx994bZQKUuFLxZC.jpg

Back when movies were less complicated. I cried for about 75% of the movie. Saw it first as a kid, fell in love with Lady Guinevere. Watched it again, fell in love with her, again.

Also, if you put Richard Gere in the Terminator universe, it WILL become a lovestory.

Also, looking at the Round Table... how cool is that shit? As a "head of state", sitting at a table where everyone is equal. Politicians nowadays should learn the lesson.

Rating is infinite out of ten.