Sméagol

Your film diary 2017

Nocturnal animals ♥♥♥♥

Great.

Toni Erdmann ♥♥♥♥

Almost 3 hours of Deutsche Scheiße.

Toni Erdmann ♥♥♥♥

Almost 3 hours of Deutsche Scheiße.

Mate, I don't think this thread is for those sort of films...

Your Name (kimi no name wa), wonderful film, not surprised it's done so well in the box office for an anime movie. Check it out.

Mate, I don't think this thread is for those sort of films...

Well, I started the thread.. Let's say you'd better prepare yourself.

Your Name (kimi no name wa), wonderful film, not surprised it's done so well in the box office for an anime movie. Check it out.

Where did you see it? Or does it have a normal release in the UK? I'm hoping one of the festivals here will show it (I'm kind of expecting it). I'm looking forward to that one.

Dude, what?

Absolutely hated it. Nothing really happening, unlikeable characters (dad's an idiot, daughter a bitch), and the "humour" was dreadful. My brother walked out, I stayed for the only highlight in the film, when that brunette took off her clothes.

Absolutely hated it. Nothing really happening, unlikeable characters (dad's an idiot, daughter a bitch), and the "humour" was dreadful. My brother walked out, I stayed for the only highlight in the film, when that brunette took off her clothes.

I've seen the trailer and could've guessed that it's horrible. I was just surprised by your wording. I always find it funny when I read/hear something in English and someone throws in one or two German words :D

I've seen the trailer and could've guessed that it's horrible. I was just surprised by your wording. I always find it funny when I read/hear something in English and someone throws in one or two German words :D

Oh well, it was a German film, I felt it was appropriate.

Rogue One. Second time. Loved it even more.

Assassin's Creed. Urgh. The plot was really dumb and felt completely unimportant. The "past" part felt even less important (and there was very little. The action in the film could have been decent, but they kept jumping to a modern-day view (of a dude hitting shadows) and the music was utterly horrendous and so loud it drowned out the sound effects, making the action feel really tame.

Arrival (2016) - Loved it. Alien contact without space lasers and Chaos Theory scientists. Amy Adams is also a sight for sore eyes.

Les 12 travaux d'Astérix (1976) - Saw it for the first time as a kid in my PJ's on the couch saturdaymorning. Humour still delivers a chuckle.

Arrival (2016)

Want to see this soon.

First movie this year was Eddie the Eagle. Wasn't expecting it be so much fun, but it was, totally uplifting, even through Hugh Jackman's botch of an American accent. "Have a nice G'day"

RED

Random dumb popcorn flick Netflix watch, enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

Your Name

Beautiful visuals, memorable soundtrack and a truly engaging story if you can ignore some glaring oversights.

Godzilla Resurgence

Great depiction of the big guy, really interesting perspective on the Japanese government response. Satomi Ishihara. :heart:

Your Name

Beautiful visuals, memorable soundtrack and a truly engaging story if you can ignore some glaring oversights.

What were the glaring oversights?

Probably that when registering the film, they forgot to fill in the box that says what the films name is going to be.

It's very possible I myself have overlooked or missed something, but...

I think it was pretty absurd that two people switching bodies and leaving regular digital phone diary entries for each other failed to realise their lives were taking place three years apart.

Not to mention the numerous cues to show the time difference that they'd have encountered each and every time they switched. They both have calendars in their bedrooms, they're attending school and part time jobs, television broadcasts, the array of advertisements that would have been dotted around Tokyo.

At the moment I'm chalking the fact neither noticed up to Shinto spirit hijinks, but for something so meticulously crafted I couldn't help but feel like this part kinda lets down what is otherwise an incredible film.

Edited by Guy

Split was really great. The film gets 8 or 9/10, and the last twenty seconds gets a 100/10, which pushes the overall score up to 10/10 (work it out).

Saw Moonlight today and don't get the hype. Nicely shot, solid action, but uneventful. 6/10.

It's very possible I myself have overlooked or missed something, but...

I think it was pretty absurd that two people switching bodies and leaving regular digital phone diary entries for each other failed to realise their lives were taking place three years apart.

Not to mention the numerous cues to show the time difference that they'd have encountered each and every time they switched. They both have calendars in their bedrooms, they're attending school and part time jobs, television broadcasts, the array of advertisements that would have been dotted around Tokyo.

At the moment I'm chalking the fact neither noticed up to Shinto spirit hijinks, but for something so meticulously crafted I couldn't help but feel like this part kinda lets down what is otherwise an incredible film.

I would like to imagine it's because of "dream logic". Their switching is happening in their dreams, they don't remember things if they don't concentrate hard on them in the morning, it took a long time for them to even realise it was really happening. Following that thread, you often take things for granted in a dream and don't give them a second thought. When they wake up, small details like that are lost.

Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

Meh. I thought they were also going to

blow up the Death Star.

But now i read its going to be an epic saga, so i guess thats for another movie.

Visuals really cool, but the story and characters i didnt really care for. Also heard that Mads Mikkelsen is such a great actor, but his acting in this movie isnt all that epic.

Edited by Naar

The salesman ♥♥♥♥♥

Iranian revenge drama. Was hoping for something more exciting, but it wasn't, so I'll leave it at that.

I also bought 35 film tickets for the International Film Festival Rotterdam, it's that time of the year again. Still have some gaps left in my schedule, so total will be more most likely.

Fo those interested, here's my list, but I'll go over each one of them when I've actually seen them.

Hacksaw Ridge

Phenomenal piece of filmmaking. On par with Saving Private Ryan for how to film the battles of war. Absolutely breathtaking visuals, phenomenal sound design too.

Coming to America (1988)

On a bit of a nostalgia trip recently.

Love how Murphy and Hall play their multiple roles. The movie has a scene i remember really well being a 6 year old boy. :D

Hacksaw Ridge

Phenomenal piece of filmmaking. On par with Saving Private Ryan for how to film the battles of war. Absolutely breathtaking visuals, phenomenal sound design too.

Awesome, off to see it today.

Finally saw 12 Angry Men. Loved it. Classic. Some really cool moments in there (the knife! hnnggg) amazing. I'm shy of old films because I'm a stupid young person (who is nearly 30) but yeah...awesome. I've loved all things jury service since I did it last year.

I'm shy of old films because I'm a stupid young person (who is nearly 30) but yeah...awesome. I've loved all things jury service since I did it last year.
About the same age here. Im shy of old films because of the [compared to modern movies] slow pacing. Movies aged like 2001 or Apocalypse Now get away with it because they are pretty brilliant movies. But something like Soylent Green? Ugh, cant get past the first conversation in the movie. =[

Split

Knew nothing about it before watching, really enjoyed it.

I was surprised that there was no actual "twist" as such, but the ending was still great.