NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Cancelled Star Wars: Maul game

thomas-a-szakolczay-damage-keyart-1.jpg?1483904908

New artwork for the cancelled Darth Maul game, Star Wars: Maul has been revealed by an artist who had been working on the title.

Back in 2014, we learned that developer Red Fly was working on a Star Wars game starring Darth Maul, the Sith Lord from Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and eventual star of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It was supposed to be a stealth-action game inspired by the likes of Batman: Arkham Asylum, but was cancelled in 2011.

Artist Thomas A. Szakolczay shared the artwork on his online portfolio (thanks, Game Informer), complete with concept images of characters, storyboards and even in-game holographic advertising.

"Back in 2011, I was fortunate enough to work with Lucas Arts and Redfly Studios to help develop the look direction for a new Star Wars IP that centered around Darth Maul," writes Szakolczay. "It took place in a future time line sometime after Return of the Jedi and was meant to have a darker, grittier tone."

"Unfortunately the project was conceived around the same time as the Disney acquisition. it was cancelled after 1 year of development. Definitely dream of getting the opportunity to work on another Star Wars related project, so much fun!"

In a Reddit AMA in 2015, Red Fly Studio developer Dan Borth confirmed he wanted to breathe a new lease of life into its cancelled Darth Maul game.

thomas-a-szakolczay-maul.jpg?1483938436

thomas-a-szakolczay-maul-lineup-sketches.jpg?1483905523

thomas-a-szakolczay-darth-tigran.jpg?1483906106

thomas-a-szakolczay-stormtrooper-f.jpg?1483908562

thomas-a-szakolczay-maul-frontend.jpg?1483915506

More artwork: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Wzwk2

A Maul, Arkham type game is a dream.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful. It's stuff like this that makes me think that Lucasfilm made a mistake by giving the rights exclusively to EA; I hope against all hope that, eventually, something like this pans out, but the upcoming Maul comic makes that increasingly unlikely.

That stormtrooper helmet looks like a predecessor to the Death Trooper helmet design; it's very Vader-esque!

Sign in to follow this