NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

@Grazza Oh FFS, just two more seconds of playtime and all would have been good. TWO SECONDS!

Edited by MindFreak
  • Haha 4

I knew @Grazza would have more fun with the last two transformations. It's like getting the Space Jump and Screw Attack combo in a Metroid game and realising that there is so much that has opened up to you.

• Like 1

Happy to see you pushed through the rough patch and ended up enjoying the game, @Grazza. I fell in love with the game as soon as I played it but I can see why people find the earlier sections a slog. Strangely enough, yesterday in one of the Switch threads on Era someone also mentioned how they were having a hard time getting into the game due to the pig sections being a bit slow and awkward. It does seem to be a common complaint.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Happy to see you pushed through the rough patch and ended up enjoying the game, @Grazza. I fell in love with the game as soon as I played it but I can see why people find the earlier sections a slog. Strangely enough, yesterday in one of the Switch threads on Era someone also mentioned how they were having a hard time getting into the game due to the pig sections being a bit slow and awkward. It does seem to be a common complaint.

Yeah, I knew it must have a lot of good about it because so many of you enjoyed it so much.  Really glad I kept going.  If I could offer two bits of constructive criticism, it'd be these:

These games are better if every transformation has an enjoyable ability, and I would personally focus on that.  The pig, for example, has the butt stomp, so I'd have made the corresponding area and dungeon mainly about that.  Fire puzzles are good, but I think I'd have left those for the dragon because it has that inherent ability, and probably have scrapped wind and lightning altogether.  Bombs always offer something in games though.  It's all about not giving the player too much choice early on.  In early boss fights, I didn't know if I was meant to use magic, the pig's normal attack or what.

Secondly, I'd have just one, big puzzle per dungeon.  The Volcano was good in that it was all about finding the gongs that destroyed bits of the pathway to the boss, but actually getting to each gong involved several, very complicated puzzles.  Similarly, I loved the mirror puzzles in the Haunted Manor, but I'd rather have had one enormous bouncing-light puzzle in the central room, and the rest of the dungeon about finding (via combat and platforming) various mirror pieces, then having to put them in place and adjust them in the main room.  Looking at the overall design of the game, I'd have liked more spacing and other types of gameplay between the puzzles.

Still, as I say, I did enjoy the game and find myself wanting a New Game+.  It'd be great to go through it again appreciating the fully-upgraded armour sets at the appropriate locations.

• Like 2

Apparently genuine, in spite of everyone worrying because of what day it is:

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this