NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

FDG Entertainment

‏@FDG_Games

Nintendo Switch is pure magic! Fall in love with it by playing our 2017 upcoming #MonsterBoyGame on #Switch http://www.monsterboy.com

Look like it could be a fun Shantae-esque handheld title.

Really looking forward to this, although it should be mentioned that Shantae is the one that's the inspired by Wonderboy/Monster World/Monster Boy/Whatever, not the other way around ;)

Really looking forward to this, although it should be mentioned that Shantae is the one that's the inspired by Wonderboy/Monster World/Monster Boy/Whatever, not the other way around ;)

How sad is it that I knew this?

These whippersnappers, with their suggestive belly dancing genies and whatnot, you don't know anything about gaming!

Mistook this for Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap. They seem very similar in style and gameplay. That is also on it's way to Switch.

Mistook this for Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap. They seem very similar in style and gameplay. That is also on it's way to Switch.

Well it wouldn't be Wonderboy without some sort of incredibly confusing shenanigans going on ;)

I'll be getting this when I can. I used to play Wonder Boy III: the Dragon's Trap round my friend's house, and I loved Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Mega Drive.

Oh hey, this series is back :hehe: Seeing Sega use their old properties at all is a pleasant surprise.

I started playing the game this evening and it's been a lovely experience so far. The animations and colourful graphics are top notch and the music has that great 90's platforming game charm to it. 

Listening to this you can't help but smile.

I loved this little reference that I came across very early in the game. 

DuO_2AzU0AAzNa2?format=jpg&name=medium

Fantastic stuff! :D 

It's a shame the game didn't get a retail release over here. I imported a copy and it comes with a bunch of stickers ( neither here nor there) and a great little instruction manual that has nice artwork inside of it.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I loved this little reference that I came across very early in the game.Fantastic stuff! :D

What's the reference there? 

It's truly a gem. So much care has been put into it, and it shows.

38 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Previous main characters from other Wonder Boy games.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's truly a gem. So much care has been put into it, and it shows.

It the main characters from the other Wonder Boy games. I had a good laugh when I spotted it. It's a great little addition.

Indeed. There's certainly a high level of quality in the game and even though I've seen many complaints, I feel the price is certainly justified.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I feel the price is certainly justified.

It is - for the physical edition. However, it's a lot to ask for for a digital only game. I'm not saying it's not worth it (it is!) but most people - myself included - would really think twice about buying a digital game this expensive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It is - for the physical edition. However, it's a lot to ask for for a digital only game. I'm not saying it's not worth it (it is!) but most people - myself included - would really think twice about buying a digital game this expensive.

It really is still a retail release though. It's just for some strange reason over here in the EU we got screwed over and continue to do so by other companies as well.

It's an interesting debate, especially when the numbers are showing digital purchases are going up year over year, even though digital is still more expensive than retail. I think a lot of gamers are still in the mindset that anything that isn't AAA should be no more than £15. This game spent a good 4 years in development and there's a lot of care and attention been put into it. 

Speaking of which, I was reading the instruction manual and on the very first page the developers had this to say...

Remember the 90s when you just popped in a cartridge and had instant fun? No complicated menus, long tutorials or paid loot boxes! If you missed this golden age of gaming, we invite you to travel back through time and feel what we felt when playing  a new game at a young age. It's all there, plus we didn't forget the bells and whistles! Enjoy gorgeous HD graphics with hand drawn animations, studio recorded soundtrack, full motion video and foley sound effects.

The first part of that paragraph is great. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will wait and see if this gets picked up by Limited Run Games or Super Rare Games in the next few months and if not... then I'll get the US version.

I'm having to do this with a lot of games at the moment, but the wait is paying off... Celeste is finally getting a physical release thanks to Limited Run so I'm glad I waited. :)

I really want this Monster Boy game as well, especially as I already have The Dragon's Trap... these two titles would look great next to each other on the shelf...

...and I want to play them as well of course, one day. :p

In the meantime, I've come to the conclusion that my Switch Shelf is going to need at least another tier, if not two.

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think a lot of gamers are still in the mindset that anything that isn't AAA should be no more than £15.

Pretty much it, yeah. But you are right, it's an interesting thing. I think it's basically down to the feeling of value when buying something. With AAA you know why the game is expensive (or well, you think you do, it's probably mainly because of advertisement) but with indie games, especially if you don't do much research on the game, you can't possibly get your head around the expenses the developer had in order to develop the game, meaning that you don't understand why it's so expensive. 

Also, the free to play titles and cheap games on stores like App store and Steam as well as frequent sales kill the need to buy expensive games digitally. The last part is something I'm guilty of, I hate getting something not on sale, even though I've got the money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

You could always import the physical version.  Amazon US do ship to the UK...

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Boy-Cursed-Kingdom-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B079RPT18N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544654994&sr=8-1&keywords=monster%2Bboy&th=1

It IS a retail game at the end of the day, and the digital price has to match the retail one (and the same notion applies across regions too).  It's also not an indie title, it's officially licensed by SEGA and has the same people from Westone (who made the original games) as the game's developers.  It's basically the same level of production as Sonic Mania.

BTW, can't wait to finally have time to dig into this gem! LOVE the Wonderboy/Monster World games! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

In the meantime, I've come to the conclusion that my Switch Shelf is going to need at least another tier, if not two.

"We're going to need a bigger shelf." :laughing:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

It IS a retail game at the end of the day, and the digital price has to match the retail one (and the same notion applies across regions too).  It's also not an indie title, it's officially licensed by SEGA and has the same people from Westone (who made the original games) as the game's developers.  It's basically the same level of production as Sonic Mania.

Sonic Mania is half the price on the eShop. :p 

But you are right. I'm just saying that the average consumer doesn't know that and doesn't see it as that.

I had serious trouble with figuring out how to defeat that boss after the first part... 

No idea why my previous post got posted twice. ::shrug:

I cleared the Volcano area this afternoon. That was a serious step up in terms of difficulty. I haven't really had any issues with any of the previous areas but the Volcano had a difficulty spike in terms of puzzles and the amount of ways to die. Still, I managed to get through it and it was very satisfying completing the area. Also, the music in that area is absolutely fantastic. At one point I just stood there and listened to it for a couple of mins. :D 

Aaaand... you're further than me. No surprise as I haven't had time to play over the past three days. I'm only three quarters through the Volcano and I agree, it's certainly a step up in difficulty - it's not too much, though.

Sign in to follow this