NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Project Octopath Traveller

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Can we rename this thread to:

@Hero-of-Time's grinding story

:D 

We could, but we might attract the wrong sort of attention!

• Haha 5

@Hero-of-Time you're going to adore the skill that gives a 50% boost to Element Attack and Element Defense. It's nutso! When you get that, you might want to replace Elemental Aid. That gives a 20% boost. Which is fine, of course, but 50% is better. Plus extra defense is always nice.

There's a physical equivalent as well to boot. My Olberic did over 20,000 damage once!

You should try to find a way to implement Warrior's Surpassing Power as well to break that damage cap.

• Thanks 1

And there's me chuffed when my Cyrus does 1000 of damage twice. I feel like I have a looooong way to go lol

• Haha 2

I've now collected all eight characters and am totally loving the game, much more so than I expected.  Tressa's story was the most charming of all, with lovely music and brilliant water effects.

I also think of H-o-T every time this happens:

DjW1YaNU4AYfHmh.jpg:large

Seriously, I get the appeal.  This game has that magic formula of rewarding you with the three essentials: EXP, money and Job Points.  It's actually the latter that keep me most hooked, as the buyable skills and passive skills are so good.  From what I'm reading it also has advanced job classes, which I think is a must for an RPG of this type (despite my favourite not having them!)  All in all I'm extremely impressed, especially with how balanced and versatile it's been so far, whichever of the eight characters you're using.

• Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, RedShell said:

Anyway, nice to see people are enjoying Octopath Traveller and that it’s doing well. I wish it was the type of game I could enjoy on a similar level, but as it stands I’m happy to wait for a potential sale or just skip it altogether.

I've just remembered we were playing Dragon Quest IX at the same time... if I recall correctly, the character customisation aspect of that really attracted you which, admittedly, this doesn't have.  The main thing I remember though is I got jealous because you kept getting Metal Slime equipment and I didn't!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Grazza said:

I've just remembered we were playing Dragon Quest IX at the same time... if I recall correctly, the character customisation aspect of that really attracted you which, admittedly, this doesn't have.  The main thing I remember though is I got jealous because you kept getting Metal Slime equipment and I didn't!

I remember this, good times! :D

I was playing it as well, or probably just before as I was reviewing the game back in the day alongside our very own @D_prOdigy

As this was in the days when we still got sent physical review media, we got sent two game cards so that we could try out the multiplayer aspects I believe.

Anyway, I remember going through all those various randomly generated high level grottos, searching for loot etc... I must have put easily over a hundred hours into the title, playing the post-game for a fair bit well after the review was finished, it was fun piecing together a co-op review as well, I can't believe that was just over eight years ago...

Check it out here for anyone interested http://www.n-europe.com/reviews/dragon-quest-ix

Getting back to Octopath Traveller though... I've had this game since it came out, I even bought the limited edition, it's still sealed though. :blank:

Reading about you all playing it is kind of making me want to jump in to be "part of the story" as well but equally I could just leave it for now and play it later...

...but then, when will that later be? Tomorrow? next week? next month? or maybe next year?

And if I start it now... will I stick with it? Plenty of other RPG's I've started have been on hiatus for a long time now, something is telling me that this could well be the equivalent of Dragon Quest IX all over again for me though so it's probably well worth just jumping in, especially before the onslaught of August to October and beyond begins.

What do you reckon N-E? Should I just... actually play a damn RPG properly for a change?

And if so... who should I start as? Does it even matter? Is it possible to go for full game completion with the true ending in one playthrough and in under one hundred hours?

I haven't really played and "finished" or put a lot of time into a really long game since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so... it's surely about time, right? :peace:

• Thanks 1

I decided to crack on with the story last night and I steamrolled through 6 of the characters stories and got the credits to roll (these happen when you complete the game with your starting character).

Spoiler

DjYmxTSU8AAiPrS.jpg

DjYdQiCUcAAH_HZ.jpg

DjYBgBkV4AA1jRh.jpg

DjYBbOJU0AAqlOQ.jpg

DjYBVnvUYAI867m.jpg

DjYBRXnV4AAijLo.jpg

I'll do the other 2 characters when I get home this evening. I'm not sure if i'll bother with any of the post game stuff yet.

@S.C.G getting the true ending should be easily doable under 100 hours. I finished all of these stories and levelled my characters up to 55-70 all in 45 hours. As for who you should pick, there isn't really a wrong choice. Just go with who you appeals to you. The only thing to remember is that this character will be stuck in your party until you finish the game with him or her. After that you can then swap them out of your team.

When it comes to playing a RPG I think you have to have the right mindset for it. They are usually big time commitments and it's best to try and concentrate on that one game. Admittedly, I have been playing games in between sessions but this has helped break up the grinding I was doing. Funnily enough they were just talking about this on Sacred Symbols. Colin Moriarty was saying how he ended up dropping Ni No Kuni 2 near the end of the game because other things came out and he jump on those. By the time he got back to Ni No Kuni 2 he had lost any idea of what he was doing or where he needed to go and he felt that when he originally played it all of that now felt kind of pointless because he would have to start again to get any sense of what was happening.

I think I can give some thoughts on the game now that the credits have rolled. I think it's a great game but with flaws. The way the stories work isn't ideal at all. They all feel separate from each other and I didn't get the sense of that huge payoff when you reach a final boss. Usually everything builds up to that end point, with characters going through various highs and lows. Your team bonds as you go through these ordeals but I didn't get the sense of any of that in this game. Also, If you play the game in a way that has you dotting around each characters chapter at a time its easy to forget just what that character was up to when you do eventually get around to doing their next chapter. You can get around this by concentrating on a single character at a time but even then its not ideal because you need other party members to help you in battle.

Thinking about this and Bravely Default I do think BD is the better game. Yeah, the second half of BD is a train wreck and a very cheap way to length the game but the foundations that are present in BD are very strong. I found the story, music, characters and sidequests far more interesting in BD and the twist was a very good pay off. Furthermore, the vast amount of options in BD that allow player to customise things battle speed, encounter rates and difficulty were a fantastic thing and i'm disappointed that such things didn't make it into this game. 

I have enjoyed my time with it though but I think improvements could be made if they do end up making a sequel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought for sure this would be one game where I beat @Hero-of-Time to the credits, but I purposely left Ophilia's ending until last... Although I do have one question for you.

Spoiler

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but are you seriously considering stopping after those last 2 characters?

Because you must have noticed that the game is hinting that this "Gate of Finis" (Pretty sure I'm spelling it wrong) is kinda important.

I'll be very surprised if completing all 8 stories didn't reveal the location of this thing. (I think it's in Hornburg, Olberic's old home)

Anyway, I've finished 7 stories now, just got Ophilia's story to do now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Chapter 4 stuff (Hide contents)

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but are you seriously considering stopping after those last 2 characters?

Because you must have noticed that the game is hinting that this "Gate of Finis" (Pretty sure I'm spelling it wrong) is kinda important.

I'll be very surprised if completing all 8 stories didn't reveal the location of this thing. (I think it's in Hornburg, Olberic's old home)

Spoiler

I honestly don't think I have it in me to do the true final dungeon/boss, at least not straight away. I've read it's a bit of a pain, what with having a gauntlet of bosses to fight before fighting the final boss. If you happen to fail then you have to do it all over again.

13 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Anyway, I remember going through all those various randomly generated high level grottos, searching for loot etc... I must have put easily over a hundred hours into the title, playing the post-game for a fair bit well after the review was finished, it was fun piecing together a co-op review as well, I can't believe that was just over eight years ago...

Check it out here for anyone interested http://www.n-europe.com/reviews/dragon-quest-ix

It was great to read your review again.  I used to play the post-game when I got in from work on a Saturday evening... ended up putting in 900+ hours!!!

13 hours ago, S.C.G said:

What do you reckon N-E? Should I just... actually play a damn RPG properly for a change?

And if so... who should I start as? Does it even matter? Is it possible to go for full game completion with the true ending in one playthrough and in under one hundred hours?

I haven't really played and "finished" or put a lot of time into a really long game since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild so... it's surely about time, right? :peace:

It'd be great to have you on board, but I know you're busy, and RPGs are a huge time investment.  From what I can gather you can see everyone's stories on your playthrough but, as @Hero-of-Time says, you do have to keep your starting character in your party.  My personal taste is always to play as the warrior-type character, so I have high attack, high defence and can fight without MP.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your input @Hero-of-Time and @Grazza I think you are both right, it is a big undertaking, I think maybe I'll build up to it... but soon though. :peace:

In the meantime, I have other games to play but I shall not be forgetting about Octopath Traveller and I look forward to starting my adventure hopefully this year. :D

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that that N-E community is enjoying the game, I've done my bit in a way by at least buying the game, I do have the intention to play it, which I look forward to. :smile:

• Like 1

After 30 hours and getting Olberic to level 40, I think it's time to start one of the Chapter 2 stories!  I haven't even been grinding on purpose; just getting stronger by going in the beginner areas' secret caves.

My overwhelming thought at the moment is that money is too tight in this game and it costs too much to keep everyone well-equipped.  Furthermore, because there are eight characters, it doesn't follow that each new town you enter will have better equipment than the last.  Just in the first eight towns, for example, there is one that sells the best shield, one that sells the best axe, etc.  Of the two Chapter 2 towns I've found, neither sells a better coat than one of the Chapter 1 towns.  Thus, it can be confusing and you can even find yourself wasting money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grazza said:

My overwhelming thought at the moment is that money is too tight in this game and it costs too much to keep everyone well-equipped. 

Your best bet is to either go for Tressa or Therion next. Tressa has a few abilities that can net you plenty of cash and with Therion you can just steal all the goods from townspeople and enemies.

• Thanks 1

H'annit's chapter 2 boss gave me a ton of trouble the first time, especially when I ran out of SP granting items. Just beat it though after stocking up. I ended up using one of the high level beasts H'annit had captured in the run up to the fight, it did 3x slash attacks for something like 1600 each when fully boosted. After I spotted that I didn't bother using any other physical attacks from other characters, (unless they were needed to break) and instead just focused on giving H'annit extra BP points lol

• Like 1

Also, a word on the music. It really is fantastic, and I keep getting the battle and boss themes stuck in my head.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Also, a word on the music. It really is fantastic, and I keep getting the battle and boss themes stuck in my head.

Ditto, the battle music in this game is utterly sublime.

Anyway, I'm almost done with the game now. All 8 stories are done and I'm cleaning up some sidequests.

However, I did manage to go from full health to utterly dead in one full boosted Bewildering Grace. Killed by a combo of "You barely survived the attack" and "Your items lay scattered on the ground" Killed by clumsiness. Suppose it had to happen sooner or later. If only video capture was supported.

I'm about 13 hours in, just about to do my 7th boss, which is H'aanit's. It's getting ever so slightly repetitive at this point because by now I have a very good idea of what Chapter 1 of each character will entail. I'm really looking forward to starting the Chapter 2s though, I'm not far away.

Spoiler

Of course you'd fight some godlike abomination at the end. Saw that coming a mile off.

That Final Boss is on a whole different level though! 500,000 HP! And I get the distinct impression that's just the first phase. Olberic busting out 45,000 damage with Brand's Thunder suddenly doesn't feel so broken...

How many RPG's actually have the final boss be an optional Superboss? Gonna have to definitely grind for this one.

On a side note, it was really nice seeing how all 8 stories were tied together in the final dungeon. Some awesome little back story there.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  Ridiculously late game spoilers (Hide contents)

Of course you'd fight some godlike abomination at the end. Saw that coming a mile off.

That Final Boss is on a whole different level though! 500,000 HP! And I get the distinct impression that's just the first phase. Olberic busting out 45,000 damage with Brand's Thunder suddenly doesn't feel so broken...

How many RPG's actually have the final boss be an optional Superboss? Gonna have to definitely grind for this one.

On a side note, it was really nice seeing how all 8 stories were tied together in the final dungeon. Some awesome little back story there.

Personally I think it's a stupid decision. It's kinda like when the Arkham Knight game gated off the true ending by having players collect everything in the game. Very bizarre.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Personally I think it's a stupid decision. It's kinda like when the Arkham Knight game gated off the true ending by having players collect everything in the game. Very bizarre.

Spoiler

Now come on, it wasn't that bad.

But I will agree that it's incredibly unintuitive.

Completing all 8 stories should have been all the player had to do really, but having to do 5 seemingly unrelated side quests is a total "Guide, Dang it!" moment.

I got that the creepy woman from the quest "Daughter of a Dark God" was probably important, but how is anyone supposed to reasonably guess that Kit of all people would be key? That random dude you gave a grape to at the start?

But the one part I absolutely had to look up a guide for was the 5th and final sidequest you need to do.

Why is it just 2 screens away from H'aanit's town? Why would anyone go back to that random piece of overworld at level 60+?

Anyway, mini rant over. Gonna clear up more sidequests while grinding.

S-E teasing more Bravely Default.

We've already announced it, but...

\Octopath Traveler, 1 million units shipped! /

Thank you!

Now, now...

Please look forward to the next Square-Enix 11 BD games m_ _m

I so hope they port the first two games over to the Switch. Octopath has shown there is a market for the more old school JRPGs on the system. Also, it's not the first time they've teased BD on the Switch. Make it happen, S-E!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Last night I was sat and watched this video about unpopular opinions in gaming and I instantly thought of this thread. I've timestamped the part i'm on about.  

Rob knows what he's talking about. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Weird 1

I'm around level 70 and the True Final Boss is a True Nightmare that has cost me quite a few hours of my worthless life and I want to scream.

7 minutes ago, Gourmet / Esperpento said:

I'm around level 70 and the True Final Boss is a True Nightmare that has cost me quite a few hours of my worthless life and I want to scream.

The fact that there's no save point before the battle is a shocking lack of respect for the players time. Awful design.

Sign in to follow this