NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Project Octopath Traveller

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Boosting Analyse lets you reveal multiple weaknesses at once. Great for getting the jump on bosses.

Yeah, but it would feel like a wasted move. I'm all about swinging my axes & swords and casting spells rather than things status effects and buffs. Cyrus could be casting a multi hit spell with that turn! :D 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, but it would feel like a wasted move. I'm all about swinging my axes & swords and casting spells rather than things status effects and buffs. Cyrus could be casting a multi hit spell with that turn! :D 

If those axes / swords / spells don't break their shield, than those moves are wasted.

4 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

If those axes / swords / spells don't break their shield, than those moves are wasted.

Precisely what I was going to say.

3 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Nah. They are still doing damage, even if it is reduced, while showing up any weaknesses. I don't play my JRPGs tactically, I grind a stupid amount ( only have 3 characters and I'm nearly level 20 ) and then just go in swinging. :p 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think I watched the same video before deciding to open the game. They done a really good job of explaining things and after starting the game I found its not complicated at all.

Have you thought about who you will start with or are you just going to wing it and see who takes your fancy once you fire it up?

I heard that whoever you choose at the start of the game is a pretty big deal as you can't swap them out of your party at any point, so like you I'll probably spend AGES mulling it over.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Cyrus is the one with the lower encounter rate support skills, you may want to start with him in that case. Though like I said, you need the experience (and gold by the way) eventually, but this gives you more control over when you fight. Like I said, it's the only support skill I'm not using myself. You can fast travel out of hairy situations. I mean, I presume, fast travel is also something I haven't used myself. You can also skip the chests to reduce encounters even more, but the downside to that is obvious. There are many sidepaths leading to chests, but mostly you'll know when you're on the main route to your destination or one of those sidepaths. Though so far, I can't remember getting something exceptional out of them.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I overstated my dislike of random encounters, I think it tends to annoy me more towards the end of games rather than the beginning. I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm the kind of person who has to open every treasure chest I see so I'll have to be thorough and like you say I'll need the XP from battling anyway.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Here's that Cait I came across the other evening.

DiaA9hVU8AAAZcx.jpg

After finishing off the Cyrus chapter last night, I then heading off to recruit Ophelia to my party as I figured I could do with a healer on my team. I absolutely love the area that she is in. It looks magical and quite stunning.

DihhZypUEAEg_PT.jpg

I also like what i've seen from her story. I'm not sure what her field skill does though. Is it just used for sidequests or something? Seems a bit weird to randomly get people to follow you. :D 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Here's that Cait I came across the other evening.

I've come across only one so far, and that was right when I just started out. So I was in no position to do anything about it. I blinked and I missed it.

Ophelia's followers are sometimes used for (side)quests yes, but you can also summon them in battle, similarly to Primrose.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

Amazon have delayed my order to an unknown future date, looks like they're out of stock. I saw it was topping the bestselling video game list there for a while. Cancelled and went with Argos instead

So i've not done loads, chapter 1 of Oberic, Primrose and i'm currently on the boss of chapter 1 of Tressa or was....

I started with Oberic as i never tried his demo, went from Primrose who's demo i did and found her story dark, twisted and interesting, then headed off the other direction towards the healer. By the time i got to Tressa Oberic was lvl 12, Primrose was lvl 8 and i had bought thier 20sp skills each (Prim's Bewildering Gaze)

So fast forward to the boss of Tressa's chapter 1, i used Primrose's Bewlidering Gaze, which up to now either give an SP refresh a buff or a debuff, i guess its a lottery skill of sorts.... Well i got the jack pot EXP x100, JP x 2 and two other buffs, which by that point i didn't care about

i got 4000xp at the end of the battle, were all mid lvl 20 now

i guess i best not bother leveling for a little while

• Haha 1

Ok asking the experts (I promise to actually listen this time!). I'm reading up on the various party members to start with and I've narrowed the choices down to Cyrus, H'aanit and Olberic. 

I think I'd mostly be keen to brute force through enemies. Are any of those a bad choice to start out with, or are their stories a bit boring?

16 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Ok asking the experts (I promise to actually listen this time!). I'm reading up on the various party members to start with and I've narrowed the choices down to Cyrus, H'aanit and Olberic. 

I think I'd mostly be keen to brute force through enemies. Are any of those a bad choice to start out with, or are their stories a bit boring?

I haven't started with H'aanit yet but I think Olberic has a more interesting story than Cyrus. However, I think Cyrus has the more useful abilities out of the two but then again, with him being a mage he is pretty weak. Olberic is probably the more solid choice due to him hitting harder. Yeah, I probably wasn't much help. :p 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Out of them three, I'd say Cyrus would be the most useful.

Cyrus automatically reveals one weakness of enemies at the start of battle, so there's less time spent trying to figure those out. He also has good coverage, due to being able to use Staffs, Fire, Ice and Electric abilities. His spells hit all enemies as well, so he can eat through those shield points. He also can get a passive ability which lowers the encounter rate. Great for when you want to explore. (Don't overuse that though, or you might be too weak to beat some stuff)

H'aanit would be my second choice out of those three, Like Cyrus, she has great coverage, (Axe, Bow and Electric, as well as her leopard partner Linde being able to cover Sword and Spear) She also has a high SP skill that can hit all enemies with a bow 5-8 times. Low accuracy, so it's a bit of a crapshoot there.

Olberic only really has two roles, hit hard and take hits. He does it extremely well. But his low coverage (Only Swords and Spears) can let him down in the early game. Olberic shines when you get a full party though, as he can take hits for anyone who is about to die. Which can really save you.

That's my personal opinion after doing two chapters.

Edited by Glen-i

18 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Out of them three, I'd say Cyrus would be the most useful.

Cyrus automatically reveals one weakness of enemies at the start of battle, so there's less time spent trying to figure those out. He also has good coverage, due to being able to use Staffs, Fire, Ice and Electric abilities. His spells hit all enemies as well, so he can eat through those shield points. He also can get a passive ability which lowers the encounter rate. Great for when you want to explore. (Don't overuse that though, or you might be too weak to beat some stuff)

H'aanit would be my second choice out of those three, Like Cyrus, she has great coverage, (Axe, Bow and Electric, as well as her leopard partner Linde being able to cover Sword and Spear) She also has a high SP skill that can hit all enemies with a bow 5-8 times. Low accuracy, so it's a bit of a crapshoot there.

Olberic only really has two roles, hit hard and take hits. He does it extremely well. But his low coverage (Only Swords and Spears) can let him down in the early game. Olberic shines when you get a full party though, as he can take hits for anyone who is about to die. Which can really save you.

That's my personal opinion after doing two chapters.

Amazing, thanks very much (to you both). Cyrus or H'aanit it is, I'll decide later when I start the game up. I know I moaned about random battles a couple of days ago but I'd definitely switch off Cyrus' passive ability in the early game.

I put some more time into the game this morning. Currently 15 hours in and have 5 characters now, most of which are around the level 29 mark.

Earlier I went into a cave that I clearly wasn't meant to be in and took on the boss inside of it. It took ages to bring down and the rewards and exp I got were awful. Felt like I wasted a good 20mins. :(

The characters left that I need to recruit are Therion, Alfyn and H'aanit. I think I'll go get Therion next.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Put 2 or 3 hours into this and really loving it. Just reached my second town, the battle system is loads of fun. I would say though I'm using up healing grapes CONSTANTLY, after three hours of play I must have used about ten of them, hopefully that's normal lol. Went with Cyrus in the end, I like his fire/ice attacks that can hit multiple enemies like you said @Glen. I bought his Analyse skill that's supposed to reveal an enemy's HP but I can't see it anywhere.

Am I being thick or is there no way to use healing items etc outside of battle? I go into the menu and it doesn't seem to give me the option to use anything. I'm probably being dumb.

PS: the game looks so good on the handheld screen!

17 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I put some more time into the game this morning. Currently 15 hours in and have 5 characters now, most of which are around the level 29 mark.

Earlier I went into a cave that I creaky wasn't meant to be in and took on the boss inside of it. It took ages to bring down and the rewards and exp I got were awful. Felt like I wasted a good 20mins. :(

The characters left that I need to recruit are Therion, Alfyn and H'aanit. I think I'll go get Therion next.

I once got zero XP for beating a random baddie in the overworld, couldn't figure out why. Maybe something we're missing.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Put 2 or 3 hours into this and really loving it. Just reached my second town, the battle system is loads of fun. I would say though I'm using up healing grapes CONSTANTLY, after three hours of play I must have used about ten of them, hopefully that's normal lol. Went with Cyrus in the end, I like his fire/ice attacks that can hit multiple enemies like you said @Glen. I bought his Analyse skill that's supposed to reveal an enemy's HP but I can't see it anywhere.

Am I being thick or is there no way to use healing items etc outside of battle? I go into the menu and it doesn't seem to give me the option to use anything. I'm probably being dumb.

PS: the game looks so good on the handheld screen!

Analyse appears under the "Scholar Skills" section.

You can use items by going to the "Inventory" section.

EDIT: Oh, and using grapes is perfectly normal when you don't have a healer on your team. Luckily, when you're done with Cyrus' first chapter, Ophilia is right nearby and her healing skills are tops!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Analyse appears under the "Scholar Skills" section.

You can use items by going to the "Inventory" section.

I can use analyse, I just can't see where it then shows an enemy's HP !

And I tried going into the inventory but there didn't seem to be an option to use any of the items, it just listed them. Must have missed something.

@Ronnie don't worry about using healing items as you can just stock up on them in the shops. They will be your main source of healing, along with inns, until you get Ophilia as part of your team.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And I tried going into the inventory but there didn't seem to be an option to use any of the items, it just listed them. Must have missed something.

When you analyse the enemy the HP pops up in the top middle of the screen.

If you go into your inventory and then press the A button on what you want to use it should select it and then you pick a character to use it on

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

When you analyse the enemy the HP pops up in the top middle of the screen.

If you go into your inventory and then press the A button on what you want to use it should select it and then you pick a character to use it on

Thanks I'll have a look. Weird, I must have tried the BASIC CONCEPT of pressing A on an item but it didn't seem to work, will try again when I'm next on

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh, right! The HP only shows up temporarily, unfortunately. It appears on the top of the screen under the turn order. You definitely use analyse more for the weakness reveals.
Here's another tip, have you ever noticed that sometimes, an enemy's name is displayed in a Yellow or a Red font? That indicates how close it is to death. Yellow means less than half health, while red means less than a quarter. You can use this to determine when to deal a finishing blow.

For items, you just press A on the item you want to use, then you press A again on the person you want to use it on.

Edited by Glen-i

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Oh, right! The HP only shows up temporarily, unfortunately. It appears on the top of the screen under the turn order. You definitely use analyse more for the weakness reveals.
Here's another tip, have you ever noticed that sometimes, an enemy's name is displayed in a Yellow or a Red font? That indicates how close it is to death. Yellow means less than half health, while red means less than a quarter. You can use this to determine when to deal a finishing blow.

For items, you just press A on the item you want to use, then you press A again on the person you want to use it on.

Oh I figured it would keep the HP on screen throughout the battle, never mind. Yeah I figured the yellow/red text thing, thanks. To be honest the analyse skill isn't that useful in the early game, Cyrus only has 1 weapon and fire/ice attacks, so I'm limited on what I can use. Sure it'll be handy later on though.

After Cyrus' opening chapter you left his town and could go up or down, somewhat equal number of characters above and below to find, north was only Lv 15+ areas, south was Lv 1 areas. Sufficed to say, I went south.

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

After Cyrus' opening chapter you left his town and could go up or down, somewhat equal number of characters above and below to find, north was only Lv 15+ areas, south was Lv 1 areas. Sufficed to say, I went south.

That's not how you play RPGs :p 

I'll echo Hero-of-Time and say: Coward! :D 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

That's not how you play RPGs :p 

I'll echo Hero-of-Time and say: Coward! :D 

It's a shame you can't play this because I think you'd love it.

Sign in to follow this