NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Project Octopath Traveller

One more week. I have twenty games to play, but I am HYPED.

EgfHYF8.gif

The first demo done nothing for me ( I actually turned it off before I even reached a fight. The dialogue just kept dragging on and on ) but i'm still giving the full release a shot. My main worry was that the game would be separate stories for each of the characters but a few people have confirmed that the stories and charactres do intersect, which is what I was hoping for. I'll probably fire up the demo that carries over to the full game a couple of days before release. That way i'll get my head around the mechanics and essentially get the intro out of the way.

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The dialogue just kept dragging on and on

Welcome to JRPGs lol, one of the reasons I could never get into them. That and the random battles.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Welcome to JRPGs lol, one of the reasons I could never get into them. That and the random battles.

Along with 2D platformers it's my favourite genre but it has to have the right mix of battles and story. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Dragon Quest has funny dialogue, and Etrian Odyssey zips along just fine too.  It tends to be the more earnest ones that are hard to keep up with.

1 minute ago, Grazza said:

Dragon Quest has funny dialogue, and Etrian Odyssey zips along just fine too.  It tends to be the more earnest ones that are hard to keep up with.

True but it can still be pretty lengthy. DQVII dragged on a stupid amount. It's a big reason why I dropped the game.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

True but it can still be pretty lengthy. DQVII dragged on a stupid amount. It's a big reason why I dropped the game.

Yeah, it's not a highlight of the series.

My copy has just arrived! I was so eager to play this game. It looks beatiful and the soundtrack is amazing.

Will you be interested in my first impressions? I will post them this weekend as I journey through this world. Obviously, I will pick Tressa.

Early reviews

IGN – 9.3 / 10
GameSpot – 8 / 10
Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
Shacknews – 8 / 10
Destructoid – 7.5 / 10
Nintendo World Report – 9 / 10
GameXplain – Liked-a-Lot

Edited by MindFreak

Got my game today. Started as H'aanit.
I have to say, in general, I really dislike English dialect made into text. It's frustrating to read. You know the ones from DQ games among others. This though, is some kind of old English(I have no idea), it's full of grammar no one use in their life, like "stoppeth" instead of stop, "saith" instead of say, "acten" instead of act and so on. Just have plain English please.
Speaketh for yourself mate.
  • Haha 6
  • Weird 1

On 12/07/2018 at 4:02 PM, Gourmet / Esperpento said:

My copy has just arrived! I was so eager to play this game. It looks beatiful and the soundtrack is amazing.

Will you be interested in my first impressions? I will post them this weekend as I journey through this world. Obviously, I will pick Tressa.

I'm currently downloading it myself. Can't wait!

Dunno who I'll pick first. Might go for the Cleric. Not enough RPG's where the Healer is the main character.

Well, except the Mother series.

Anyway, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts. Just keep the story related stuff in Spoiler tags.

Edited by Glen-i

On 12/07/2018 at 5:02 PM, Gourmet / Esperpento said:

Will you be interested in my first impressions?

Don't ask, just post.

I didn't play for long, but I just replayed what I did in the first demo. That means I started with Primrose, and finished her chapter one. I've currently met Olberic, and I'm now doing his chapter one. Haven't explored much yet, most of the areas are too dangerous for just one character.

Yup, loving this. I'm going counter clockwise on the map. Finished Olberic's chapter 1, then Tressa's after that, now I've met Cyrus and I'm doing his starting chapter.

I love the path skills. I love to see what individual people are selling. I love beating people up with Olberic.. And I love getting beaten up by old grannies with Olberic (blasting me with fire spells which do tons of damage). Then "recruiting" those grannies with Primrose.

Also saw the first hint of intrigue.. Cyrus mentioned something that probably concerns Olberic, something about his old homeland.

Like the tweet says, I've just started Chapter 2, about to begin Primrose's section there.

I've spent over 22 hours playing this so far. I'm in love with this game! It gets so many notes right. The visuals are stunning, the music is gorgeous, the voice acting is great and the gameplay is absolute top-notch. I've got access to secondary jobs now and I'm getting some intense Bravely Default possibilities here. I'm sure you can use the passive abilities to make some truly ridiculous setups later. That will be fun. Wonder if anything will be as broken as the Infinite Jump team from Bravely...

I really like how grounded the stories are so far. A lot of RPG's these days go full on epic and it's nice to have a bunch of characters with more realistic aspirations this time.
I'm fully expecting to end up fighting a God in the end or aliens or robots or a mixture of all three, but for now. It's great.

• Thanks 1

I've still got this in it's wrapper and I'm contemplating just sending it back to Shopto. I've been reading a load of impressions across various forums and it seems that the story isn't as strong as I hoped it would be. The battle system is also a concern as some are saying you have to play it tactically and you can't just grind to victory, which is what I enjoy doing when playing JRPGs.

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've still got this in it's wrapper and I'm contemplating just sending it back to Shopto. I've been reading a load of impressions across various forums and it seems that the story isn't as strong as I hoped it would be. The battle system is also a concern as some are saying you have to play it tactically and you can't just grind to victory, which is what I enjoy doing when playing JRPGs.

You can totally grind to victory if you want. Not sure why people are saying that...

What people don't seem to realise is that it's not just the EXP you get that gets you through, it's the money.

Grinding money to buy better gear will get you far. Equipment makes a massive difference in this game.

Edited by Glen-i

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You can totally grind to victory if you want. Not sure why people are saying that...

What people don't seem to realise is that it's not just the EXP you get that gets you through, it's the money.

Grinding money to buy better gear will get you far. Equipment makes a massive difference in this game.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like DQ in that equipment plays a big part. Whenever I find a new town that has new gear I usually grind until I can afford it. Good to hear that I can play the game the way I usually play JRPGs. Guess I'll fire it up once I'm done with Captain Toad.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Thanks for the info. Sounds like DQ in that equipment plays a big part. Whenever I find a new town that has new gear I usually grind until I can afford it. Good to hear that I can play the game the way I usually play JRPGs. Guess I'll fire it up once I'm done with Captain Toad.

Yeah, I wiped out against a boss, went to grind some new armour for my team and effectively halved the damage I was taking.

Not to mention the Job Points you get which unlock new abilities that help each character perform better. EXP, Money and JP all combine together to allow you to plow through bosses.

Now don't get me wrong. You're gonna have to exploit weaknesses. The entire system is built around it, what with the Break and Boost mechanic. Kinda like how you had to use Brave and Default in the Bravely games.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I wiped out against a boss, went to grind some new armour for my team and effectively halved the damage I was taking.

Not to mention the Job Points you get which unlock new abilities that help each character perform better. EXP, Money and JP all combine together to allow you to plow through bosses.

Now don't get me wrong. You're gonna have to exploit weaknesses. The entire system is built around it, what with the Break and Boost mechanic. Kinda like how you had to use Brave and Default in the Bravely games.

I was OP during most of that game so job type didn't really matter and defending didn't really need to be used a lot. I just done a bunch of grinding and hammered the attack button when I needed to. :D 

28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was OP during most of that game so job type didn't really matter and defending didn't really need to be used a lot. I just done a bunch of grinding and hammered the attack button when I needed to. :D 

Well, this is even more up your street then. Because BP builds up every turn. You don't need to defend.

Also, every character has a set job that they can't change, so you don't have to give as much thought to how you set stuff up. Only the second job can be tweaked.

My strategy so far has consisted of mostly hitting weaknesses until I deplete their shield points, than using all my BP and whacking them really hard. It's a simple tactic.

Edited by Glen-i

Octopath Traveller has sold nearly double of Bravely Default's first week sales in the UK.

Octopath Traveler, Square Enix's unusually titled RPG for Nintendo Switch. It's actually a really good result for the game, as its sales are almost double that of Bravely Default (which is made by the same team back in December 2012) and more than double that game's sequel Bravely Second (release in 2016).

Indeed, the charts are so close that if we did this in terms of revenue, Octopath Traveler is No.1 due to its higher price tag. Octopath Traveler is the No.1 performing single platform game of the week.

Here's the source.

It's reassuring to know that there's a real thirst for old-school Turn Based RPG's these days. They're quite the rarity now and I am always a little concerned with how the industry has been moving away from them.

Edited by Glen-i

Great news. Captain Toad debuted at 17th on Wii U in the UK, so that's gotten a great bump as well.

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It's reassuring to know that there's a real thirst for old-school Turn Based RPG's these days. They're quite the rarity now and I am always a little concerned with how the industry has been moving away from them.

I always blame @Kav for that. :p 

• Haha 2

Sign in to follow this