NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Project Octopath Traveller

GIF version (the video is only 15 seconds long anyway) for those who want it:

XQqKJ2i.gif

This game really does look gorgeous. Those particle effects on the snow look great, and I really love the way that the water reflects. I was really hoping to play games like Final Fantasy VI for the first time on Switch (guess I’m going to have to go hunt for an SNES Classic or a Wii with a complete VC catalogue...), but in lieu of that coming over to the platform, I think this is one of the games which is attracting me most to the platform. 

It seems that the names of the final two party members are Cyrus and Ophelia, so, going clockwise from their starting locations on the map:

Ophelia

Cyrus

Tressa

Olberic

Primrose

Alfyn 

Therion

H’aanit

• Thanks 2

On 13/05/2018 at 11:10 AM, Happenstance said:

Definitely a mis-price.

They cancelled all of the pre-orders.

*sigh* Oh well, they did send apologies and code for £5 off your next online order so not a complete waste of time. :D

On 5/13/2018 at 11:10 AM, Happenstance said:

Typical, just had mine cancelled too.  The one time I get in on a sweet pricing error and they go and cancel it.

Ahh well, I still got something for nothing though, so I suppose I can't complain :p 

• Thanks 1

The game looks visually very nice and I do like a good RPG, by but by god that American voiceover guy in those trailers sucks.

Can you imagine if they advertised FF7 in this way, saying "here's Aeris, using her ability you can heal eeeeveryone in your team!" There's a big mismatch between the type of game it appears to be and the tone of these advertising materials.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Thanks 1

Almost every trailer for this has been so boring to watch. But luckily we know the game is great beyond belief so we don't have to watch the trailers.

7 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Definitely a mis-price.

They cancelled all of the pre-orders.

*sigh* Oh well, they did send apologies and code for £5 off your next online order so not a complete waste of time. :D

Hyrule Warriors is £36.99 with the voucher.

• Thanks 1

So, we got a new E3 character trailer which wasn’t shown off at Nintendo’s or S-E’s conference (as far as I’m aware?)...

The game sounds better every single time that we hear some more music. :D 

Just a reminder that the demo is out today.

Octopath Traveler’s new demo is being released today. It actually works a bit differently compared to the previous demo. This demo essentially contains all of the content of the full game, including the stories for all eight playable characters, so you can freely choose any of them. There is, however, a 3-hour time limit on the demo, and you can’t play it anymore once your time is up. However, you can transfer your progress to the full version of the game once it’s released on July 13th.

• Thanks 3

Apparently this is a 40+ hour campaign, with another 20 or 30 of sidequests. Huge game!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Just a reminder that the demo is out today.

3 hour limit kinda killed my interest in playing the demo, might as well just wait until the full release. Unless the demo unlocks some extras?

12 hours ago, Ike said:

3 hour limit kinda killed my interest in playing the demo, might as well just wait until the full release. Unless the demo unlocks some extras?

My thoughts exactly. I'm just going to wait for the full release.

I've started the demo with the warrior. I like the style, the type of game, but I think that there are to many fights.

Why do I need to fight when I am on my way back and the area is the same room in the same cave? And sometimes you have to fight 2-3 times.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/311519-square-enix-not-releasing-dlc-for-octopath-traveler

No DLC planned.  Nice to think that in an age where developers are carving up their games to sell piecemeal after launch and trying to fix their broken and incomplete games/stories with DLC (ahem, Square Enix...), that we can just get a game that offers a complete experience from the get-go :) 

Hard to believe that it’s coming from the same publisher that brought us FF15 and Deux Ex: Mankind Divided!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Nice to think that in an age where developers are carving up their games to sell piecemeal after launch and trying to fix their broken and incomplete games/stories with DLC

No excuse for releasing broken or incomplete games, but I don't mind DLC done right. It's a necessary evil if the cost of games will continue to stay the same price every gen, even though they cost 10x more to make than back in the NES days.

Can't wait for this. Not gonna bother with the demo so I can go in dark. Been ages since i had a nice meaty RPG to play. The DLC news is good news of course, but when it's done right I dont mind it. 

Had a quick go on the demo.

I love the visual style of this game! Absolutely gorgeous. :love: Unfortunately though (and not surprisingly) it doesn't look like the gameplay is my cup of tea. Random encounters do my head in, and the battles seem to go on FOREVER! :zzz: Although I'm guessing the character type I chose (thief) doesn't really help in the combat situation. :heh:

Is the 3 hour demo nonstop from when you first try, or can you pause and continue it later?

1 hour ago, bob said:

Is the 3 hour demo nonstop from when you first try, or can you pause and continue it later?

Pretty sure it’s just the overall playtime on your save file, so you can pause and continue.

Pretty sure it’s just the overall playtime on your save file, so you can pause and continue.
That makes sense, but I wanted to check before I started, just in case.

Takahashi-san and Nishiki-san recently gave an interview while at the Anime Expo over in France. Here are a few interesting quotes from said interview that have popped up over on ResetERa.

- Both are 33 years old and grew up during the golden era of SNES JRPGs with the gameplay and visual style of the time (pixel-art).
- When Takahashi entered Square-Enix, he wanted to do these kind of games but he was told that it was easier to develop more modern-looking games. After years of hard and successful work, he was finally able to do the kind of projects he initially wanted to work on.
- In terms of game mechanics, if Bravely was a spiritual successor of FFV, Octopath has been developed as a spiritual successor of FFVI
- He wanted to work on a new IP with a strong visual style that players would enjoy.
- When the development of Octopath began, they made a demo exclusively in pixel-art. They then realized that it was prettier in their memories and that's why they decided to include modern effects with the Unreal Engine, especially lightning effects. They feel that it is a good mix between both generations.
- Nishiki-san grew up with games like Final Fantasy and the SaGa series. Both franchises have influenced his work on Octopath
- He initially wondered whether he should try to adapt to the global audience or keep his own style. He asked himself what Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy) would do in the same situation and therefore he finally decided to keep his own style.
- Octopath's OST is influenced by his love of classical music, he mentioned Bach, and movie musics.- The first demo has been downloaded 1,5 millions times.
- People's reactions to the demo were overwhelmingly positive, even more so in Europe than in Japan.
- their demo target was gamers in their 30s,40s who were seeking the same great sensations they had during the Golden Era of JRPGs.
- They felt that the Switch was the perfect platform for that with its ability to play 1 hour in bed before sleeping.

Sign in to follow this