NEurope
Mr-Paul

Will you be getting a Switch at launch?

81 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be getting a Switch at launch?

What's that about the pro controller? You can't use the one for WiiU? Never actually used the one I was stupid enough to buy..

Because of this I will probably sell my Wii U and partly finance the Switch that way.

No chance. I enjoyed the presentation and I can afford it but the poor launch lineup as well the incredibly poor online chat via smartphone app which won't be compatible with my phone means I'm out until maybe Mario but I doubt I'll be getting the online subscription so no online gaming for me on the Switch.

Posted this elsewhere, but figured it sort of belongs here too.

Been looking around at game pricings everywhere, and stumbled upon something on GAME. It might be nothing, or it may be placeholder - so take it with a grain of salt - but these dates aren't "TBC" like others with unconfirmed release dates (such as FIFA, Skyrim, etc.), so I thought it was worth sharing, especially seeing as other dates that are specific thus far seem to match the officially confirmed dates.

According to the website:

Splatoon 2 - August 18th

ARMS - April 15th

ShopTo seems to have a similar thing going on, with Ubisoft's Steep (the skiing game) and Rayman Legends Definitive Edition currently stated as having March 3rd - launch day - releases.

Again, grain of salt, but this would certainly back up just how much Ubisoft were backing the Switch before reveal: 3 launch day titles (the two aforementioned as well as Just Dance).

In theory i could afford it, i like the system a lot and i NEED Zelda, but i'm buying a house this month i need every penny i can get.

i'd stupidly bought into the idea of a £200 console and was tempted to pre-order at gameseek, but thinking that would be the RRP or close to, i waited for Nintendo themselves to pre-order from! oh how i was wrong

Now i could just about justify the £200, i've got some stuff to sell and will likely make that money, but the £340 i'm gonna need? sure i could but for one game i can unfortunately wait

I don't know, i could sell more stuff but i've too much going on right now to actually go to the effort for a system i'll only realistically have zelda on until May? June? i should just wait until then

I don't think I'll be getting a Switch at launch. Simply because the only game I'd want to play for it is Zelda: Breath of the Wild and that will probably also come to the Wii U within a couple of weeks of launch, just like Twilight Princess did when that came out on both Gamecube and Wii. Unless there is no Wii U version of Breath of the Wild.

I'll wait until Summer when stuff like Super Mario Odyssey is out.

I'll wait until Summer when stuff like Super Mario Odyssey is out.

Who's gonna tell him it's out at Christmas time?

Who's gonna tell him it's out at Christmas time?

Well, I mean, it feels awkward now that you're asking...maybe you should just tell him?

Well, I mean, it feels awkward now that you're asking...maybe you should just tell him?

WHAT!? I can't tell him that. It'll crush him! I don't have the heart...

WHAT!? I can't tell him that. It'll crush him! I don't have the heart...

...neither does Breath of the Wild :(

No fucking way.

I'm now even more dubious about the system after that presentation and can't see myself owning it for a long time. We'll probably get Zelda on the WiiU (provided that version isn't gimped). Given that I haven't touched the WiiU in ages and actually dislike the thing, that's saying something.

I think the hardware looks great but I'm disappointed by the launch lineup of titles. I'm still going to get one at launch but I don't think it will be truly worth it until later in the year when some of the bigger titles are out.

I've pre-ordered mine. Interestingly; from my wife's perspective ( who is really a non-gamer but does run the household budget!) when I say it's expensive and she says "How much then?" I tell her £280 and she like "That seems normal, go ahead!"

But when you compare it to non-game tech is isn't too bad really- phones £300-£700 (on plans), iPads £300+, TV's £500+, wifi speakers £150+, Christ people even pay £150 odd for headphones etc.

As said many times it's the lack of a pack-in game and the cost of accessories that kind of irks me!

I have the system pre-ordered in a few locations. If I have the money available in March and Zelda Switch turns out to be significantly superior to the Wii U version, I'll probably bite.

Probably...

I've pre-ordered with Nintendo. The price is definitely tough to swallow but I think it will be worth it for the better Zelda experience at least and I'll be happy to be on board with the console with the releases that are slated for the rest of the year. I think the shock of the price and the poor online have soured a lot of peoples experiences and the messaging of the conference wasn't that great overall. The positives are though that they appear to be staggering releases well enough throughout the year to prevent droughts and the video marketing is really polished and puts across the complicated technology well so it bodes well for the mass market potential of the system, it's just a shame that there aren't more launch games and a lower price to really draw people in. I don't think it will be a sensation at launch but I think it will build over time and become a very successful system.

Oh and I think it's a big mistake not to pack 1 2 Switch with the console or Arms when you buy and extra pair of controllers. I fully understand them not taking a loss on the hardware side, but it would create buzz and good will if they took a hit on the hardware side. I'm going to be spending £400 at launch and I'm only getting 1 game, it would really enhance the experience to have a fun mini games collection built in.

Edited by killthenet

The concept I am completely sold on, this is what I want from a video game system now.

Even just Zelda on launch would suit me absolutely fine, if it's as big as is being claimed you likely won't need another game for some time.

And yet that price point is just too high for me. I had budgeted (with a fair wind and an understanding Mrs) maybe £250 for console and game...my brother has gone for that combo, a pro controller and Accessory pack and will be £415 lighter as a result!!

Until we get a price drop I won't be able to justify that price point:(

I have a preorder with Amazon, probably one of the first to preorder. Not planning to keep it unless Nintendo do some mad Xbox shit, reversing policies and procedures left right and center.

I like the system (being a big Vita and indie fan) but the price and launch lineup is ridiculous. Completely unjustifiable. The online also sounds really poor.

Quite disappointed all in all.

Christ people even pay £150 odd for headphones etc.

I know you're probably referring to the likes of Beats which are hugely overpriced, but if you get a pair of Headphones worth over £100+, they can be life changingly good.

As for the Switch, I don't think the 280 console price is that bad...but the pricey extras, lack of launch games and confusion over online really put me off. I'll follow it with interest and hope it becomes more attractive in a year's time, but I'm starting to think that Nintendo should move to making software from now on.

Will be waiting as well, £280 for console alone is just too much and I have so much to play on my PS4 and PC that I'm in no hurry to buy, I possibly will get it when Splatoon 2 comes out but may be a Christmas sale dealio.

I'm getting it day one, but I'm not gonna lie. The price is too high and the launch day lineup is pretty anemic.

If MK8 and ARMS were coming out on day 1 instead of in April and the price was £40 lower, I'd feel much better about it. As things stand though, I don't fancy its chances.

While I do think the concept looks great and that it has tons of potential, both in terms of keeping the push for new and ground breaking gameplay concepts and forms of gameplay alive and well (thank Christ for stuff like 1,2,Switch and ARMS! I really thought we might not ever see stuff like that again) and in terms of potential mass market success for Nintendo, I can't help but feel that they've really shot themselves in the foot with that pricepoint and launch day lineup.

Edited by Dcubed

Just using the internet for fact finding (as dubious as that can be) the PS4 was £399 with one game (killzone) and £54 for a dual shock.

Just using the internet for fact finding (as dubious as that can be) the PS4 was £399 with one game (killzone) and £54 for a dual shock.

Yeah I think that some people had convinced themselves that this was going to be £200, for no real reason, and so are surprised when it isn't.

£280 for a console like this isn't insane.

It's the accessories, online and lack of games that are the problem for me.

The whole lot is overpriced and I've felt Nintendo have been lacking since half way into the Wii's lifespan. I can wait for Zelda (or can always get the Wii U version if not) so I'll probably get one around Christmas if there's a decent price drop and a couple more games I want (also at cheaper prices).