NEurope
Serebii

Splatoon 2

I played for the entire length of the Splatfest and made it to King

DEzQKFkUIAAb6IV.jpg

It's taking some getting use to with the Switch's analog sticks, because I am so used to the Wii U gamepad. A few other grumbles, I feel like i ran out of Ink very quickly compared to the first game and it took longer to refill, but I'm guessing that's because the gear we were all using didn't have any ability's to improve that stuff. Other then that I enjoyed it, but probably didn't have as much fun as I did in the first game.

32 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Anyone up for this now? Because Nintendo are fucking infuriating and gimp everything they touch, being able to play with friends is limited to 4 players. So you and a mate can’t play together. Oh Nintendo.... 

we have 3. Anyone else

But 3 is less than 4? Why doesn't it work?

Edit: Unless you mean you can only play with exactly 4 friends?

Edited by drahkon

Well I suck with the sniper rifle and dual pistols, thats what I learned, but I also cant strike a balance with motion controls and analogue stick when aiming, I had a few sync issues with the motion controls and had to constantly resync them which is highly frustrating.

39 minutes ago, drahkon said:

But 3 is less than 4? Why doesn't it work?

Edit: Unless you mean you can only play with exactly 4 friends?

Yeah, for splstfests its 4 player only. Very annoying. 

12 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Yeah, for splstfests its 4 player only. Very annoying. 

bml.gif

Oh boy...

• Like 1

Crikey that is terrible.

I think I'm going to wait on this one and not pre-order. I like the core game a lot but I want to see how grouping, matchmaking and voice chat work out first. There's no point in great gameplay without the system to support it on a game like this.

• Like 1

Yeah, sure. People chose the Ice Cream side because they like Ice Cream. I've seen enough Splatoon fanatics around to know exactly why people choose the way they did.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I played for the entire length of the Splatfest and made it to King

DEzQKFkUIAAb6IV.jpg

It's taking some getting use to with the Switch's analog sticks, because I am so used to the Wii U gamepad. A few other grumbles, I feel like i ran out of Ink very quickly compared to the first game and it took longer to refill, but I'm guessing that's because the gear we were all using didn't have any ability's to improve that stuff. Other then that I enjoyed it, but probably didn't have as much fun as I did in the first game.

I feel pretty similar to you but I only played for half an hour. I planned to return later but I missed the cut off point :red:

I'm sure I will get used to it when the game arrives next week but I never felt entirely comfortable with the controls during my brief session and was finding the location of the right stick strange after the symmetry of the Wii U controllers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DazzeL said:

Crikey that is terrible.

I think I'm going to wait on this one and not pre-order. I like the core game a lot but I want to see how grouping, matchmaking and voice chat work out first. There's no point in great gameplay without the system to support it on a game like this.

Look at the way the scores came in I presume it’s because they fully separate the team and single player player scores . But really who cares? Who really cares? I’m surprised that many people can get teams of 4 together to be honest.

im pretty sure we know how grouping and matchmaking work don’t we?

2 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Look at the way the scores came in I presume it’s because they fully separate the team and single player player scores . But really who cares? Who really cares? I’m surprised that many people can get teams of 4 together to be honest.

im pretty sure we know how grouping and matchmaking work don’t we?

We probably do which is why I'm not pre-ordering. Lots of people will be able to put together regular teams of 4, there's a bunch of people I play with who manage 6 a lot of the time on Overwatch, but you want the flexibility to be able to jump in as a pair if that's the situation.

I hope that Nintendo prove me wrong. 

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be a insta-buy for me, but after playing the Splatfest I may wait a bit more.

I never played Splatoon before, but I love the theme, the setting and the characters. But after the Splatfest I'm a bit in doubt how much I will play the game. Controls are one thing, and it seems like another game which requires a ton of time to master and rank up. Right now I still have a lot of games which I still want to play, and I'm not sure this is the game I want to invest much time in.

I think my strategy will be wait for some time, and wait until someone who picks it up will sell it cheap second-hand (which I think will happen since a lot of people have a Switch but there are not that many 1st party games yet, so they buy everything).

I really enjoyed the Splatfest. It's not perfect but it brought back what I like about the first game in the level design and feel, which I was a bit worried about after the first test-fire as I wasn't feeling it at all.

My biggest want right now is for them to separate the sensitivity of the X and Y axis. It's also pretty infuriating that when you are using the motion control that the left stick can't control the vertical axis. Wassatallaboot?!

EDIT: in short, I want it to aim more like BotW

Edited by Jamba

5 hours ago, DazzeL said:

We probably do which is why I'm not pre-ordering. Lots of people will be able to put together regular teams of 4, there's a bunch of people I play with who manage 6 a lot of the time on Overwatch, but you want the flexibility to be able to jump in as a pair if that's the situation.

I hope that Nintendo prove me wrong. 

It’s only splstfests which are 4. Normal ranked matches you can do 2, 3 or 4. Turfed you can just join friends. 

Played the Splatfest for about an hour. had enough fun that I want to keep playing, so I'll be getting this Thursday. I still need a lot

of work to get used to the controls though, but I love absolutely everything else. I just love the whole style of it.. Seeing the hub transformed for a concert was so cool.

I missed the splatfest because I was too busy getting drunk.

Picked the winning team though, do I get anything for it even though I picked a team but didn't participate?

3 hours ago, Rob3008 said:

When does the review embargo lift?

reviews should start coming in from now

Solid reviews so far, trending at 83 on opencritic. I was somewhat concerned that this game would be unfairly marked down for being more o the same when to my mind its no different than the yearly COD refresh except it's even further out.

3 minutes ago, flameboy said:

Solid reviews so far, trending at 83 on opencritic. I was somewhat concerned that this game would be unfairly marked down for being more o the same when to my mind its no different than the yearly COD refresh except it's even further out.

That's what I felt; on the one hand it's incremental upgrades in many ways, but then COD/FIFA do it every year and, when it was solid before, why re invent the wheel?

Good to see my absolute enjoyment yet slight hesitations in places has been reflected elsewhere, ever since I have Yoshi 9/10 I've always been wary I'm playing a different game :p

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, flameboy said:

To be fair the year COD games are rotated between different developers so it's more like a 3 (or 2 at this point?) cycle. Not that it really matters of course, just wanted to add that.

55 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

To be fair the year COD games are rotated between different developers so it's more like a 3 (or 2 at this point?) cycle. Not that it really matters of course, just wanted to add that.

Yeah sure so each cycle is roughly the difference in time between Splatoon and Splatoon 2? Original came out in 2015 right?

6 minutes ago, flameboy said:

Yeah sure so each cycle is roughly the difference in time between Splatoon and Splatoon 2? Original came out in 2015 right?

Probably. I was only talking about COD though.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Probably. I was only talking about COD though.

Yeah I'm saying COD cycle is 2ish years same as Splatoon :heh: