NEurope
Serebii

Splatoon 2

You can really tell who are the oldies when it comes to aiming these days.

Gyro controls are one of the only things I actually like about Splatoon!

Use the sticks for big dramatic movements and the gyro for fine-tuning. Simple!

Or use the sticks for aiming and then watch as the gyroscope automatically adjusts your aim in ways you don't want because you're not a robot with perfect steady hands. In particular on the testfire in handheld mode I found that my aim was being thrown upwards by the gyro and I was having to continuously press whatever button it was to reset the camera. Like all the time. It felt like the calibration of the camera was constantly getting messed up by the gyro.

Yeah, you can tell I don't like most motion controls. :)

I play so many FPS/shooters and not once have I felt that this would improve the traditional twin stick aiming!

Edited by Sheikah

Or use the sticks for aiming and then watch as the gyroscope automatically adjusts your aim in ways you don't want because you're not a robot with perfect steady hands. In particular on the testfire in handheld mode I found that my aim was being thrown upwards by the gyro and I was having to continuously press whatever button it was to reset the camera. Like all the time. It felt like the calibration of the camera was constantly getting messed up by the gyro.

Yeah, you can tell I don't like most motion controls. :)

I play so many FPS/shooters and not once have I felt that this would improve the traditional twin stick aiming!

You should see me hold a Wii Remote, I shake all over the place so hard, I need a stability update! @Dcubed will back me up on that.

Have you tried turning the sensitivity down? It's what I do. I know Splatoon 2 has that option.

Everyone realised motion is by far superior..

While I feel the motion aiming in the original Splatoon is great, it irritates me to see opinions spoken in such a way that doesn't accommodate an alternative view :nono:

For some, motion controls enhance their ability while others feel it hampers them. That's all that really needs to be said about it and I'll never understand the constant need to convert people to a particular way of thinking.

The way I see it, let everyone enjoy the game the way they like to play or, if they don't enjoy it, don't play it :smile:

People must have really shaky hands if they think the gyro controls are bad.

People must have really shaky hands if they think the gyro controls are bad.

It's not that my hands are particularly shaky it's that any amount of unsteadiness will register and throw off your aim with the sticks. I just found it annoying that moving my hands and the sticks were happening in conjunction with each other as a means to aim.

I've had the same issue while playing Zelda docked with the joy-cons in the grip - while using a bow, I was trying to aim precisely with the sticks and the gyro was feeling counterproductive to my goal.

In contrast, the archery minigame in Majora's Mask worked great with the gyro controls because you couldn't move, you were just aiming the bow with the gyro controls. I think the problem comes when you also have to move your character and aim (i.e. twin sticks).

Edited by Sheikah

Yeah in the testfire I turned the motion controls off. I enjoyed playing the game though and will be looking to pick it up. I missed out on the first.

Yeah, I wasn't exagerrating when I said the default controls were nauseating.. It's giving me motion sickness.

First time really playing Splatoon this weekend and I ended up taking part in 4 of the test fires as it was so enjoyable. Mostly played with the pro controller which was very comfortable. Interestingly I preferred the gyro controls over using the right stick for aiming vertically. I imagine gyro in handheld mode would be more difficult though in comparison. I did try the joy con grip (half because my pro controller finally ran out of battery from its initial charge ) and even though it was servicable I could feel my hands cramping up.

I am now very much keen on picking this up, hopefully there's a good deal for eshop credit sometime. In the short term though I'm going to load the first games soundtrack on to my iPod.

It's not that my hands are particularly shaky it's that any amount of unsteadiness will register and throw off your aim with the sticks. I just found it annoying that moving my hands and the sticks were happening in conjunction with each other as a means to aim.

I've had the same issue while playing Zelda docked with the joy-cons in the grip - while using a bow, I was trying to aim precisely with the sticks and the gyro was feeling counterproductive to my goal.

In contrast, the archery minigame in Majora's Mask worked great with the gyro controls because you couldn't move, you were just aiming the bow with the gyro controls. I think the problem comes when you also have to move your character and aim (i.e. twin sticks).

It could be a case of co-ordination... that sounds condescending, but I'm not meaning it that way... just like if you tell a child to pat their head and rub their tummy, often you'll get some who can't do the two at the same time... it would just be down to practice. I can understand why you wouldn't be willing to put that time in though, if you're able to use analogues only and get great precision!

Yeah, I wasn't exaggerating when I said the default controls were nauseating.. It's giving me motion sickness.

That's rubbish for you, I hate when games have that effect on me. I had a similar issue with Hyrule Warriors initially.

While I feel the motion aiming in the original Splatoon is great, it irritates me to see opinions spoken in such a way that doesn't accommodate an alternative view :nono:

For some, motion controls enhance their ability while others feel it hampers them. That's all that really needs to be said about it and I'll never understand the constant need to convert people to a particular way of thinking.

The way I see it, let everyone enjoy the game the way they like to play or, if they don't enjoy it, don't play it :smile:

Comments like this are so incredibly dull.

Firstly, my whole point was just reassure people who didn't like it that this happened last time and with time they get better. That's it.

You then extrapolate it to not letting people play how they want, even they I never said this, and even in the same post I said they should have both methods of control...funny you ignore that...

But also, I obviously didn't mean literally EVERYONE, you know that, everyone knows it, but still you make this comment anyway. Like I actually think people shouldn't play however they want, did I say anything negative about people who don't? No. yet your reply seems to suggest I did.

Fucking ridiculous. The more I think about it the more irritating it is to be honest. People speak in absolutes all the time (!), when people always get bizarrely offended and demand people precursor with 'in my opinion', or 'I think', or whatever. This kind of literal reading of words is painful.

PS How come you didn't say anything about Sheikh's "Motion controls tend to be pretty bad"? This is an absolute too. Also funny he thanked your post...

Edited by dazzybee

Since when is 'tend to be' an absolute?

Also a very disrespectful post.

Since when is 'tend to be' an absolute?

Also a very disrespectful post.

I meant the sentence as a whole. Motion controls don't tend to be pretty bad at all, you think they tend to be pretty bad. It's not a universal statement. Look, I don't' care, I know exactly what you meant. Just pointing it out.

And how is it disrespectful? Why do people love throwing around these snide comments and not explain it? This place...

Also, why not quote me, or @ me? It's ike you want to make your little comment but almost hide it away a little.

I meant the sentence as a whole. Motion controls don't tend to be pretty bad at all, you think they tend to be pretty bad. It's not a universal statement. Look, I don't' care, I know exactly what you meant. Just pointing it out.

And how is it disrespectful? Why do people love throwing around these snide comments and not explain it? This place...

Yes but in saying 'tend to be' I am conceding that in my opinion there are instances of motion control that do work (e.g. archery minigames in past Zelda remakes). I'm not just being all down on motion controls for the sake of being down on them.

Obviously this is my opinion about motion controls tending to be pretty shitty most of the time, but the fact most FPS haven't integrated the gyro setup despite having plenty of opportunity to tells me that if they really were a leap forward in precision they'd be in more games. Don't forget that the PS4 controller, for instance, could do this.

In answer to your question, you're being disrespectful in the somewhat immature way you respond to people. Responding to people and saying their comments are 'dull' and 'fucking ridiculous' is not cool.

Yes but in saying 'tend to be' I am conceding that in my opinion there are instances of motion control that do work (e.g. archery minigames in past Zelda remakes). I'm not just being all down on motion controls for the sake of being down on them.

Obviously this is my opinion about motion controls tending to be pretty shitty most of the time, but the fact most FPS haven't integrated the gyro setup despite having plenty of opportunity to tells me that if they really were a leap forward in precision they'd be in more games. Don't forget that the PS4 controller, for instance, could do this.

In answer to your question, you're being disrespectful in the somewhat immature way you respond to people. Responding to people and saying their argument is dull is not cool.

No. You are speaking in an absolute. It doesn't mean saying something to its extreme, which is what you're trying to say, that's not what it means, it means a universal truth. You spoke as a universal truth. If I said northerns are usually racist. I'm not saying all, I'm "conceding" not all are... But ultimately I'm speaking as a universal truth. Absolute. Like you did.

It isn't argument, it's a comment which barely has any connection to what I said. And it is dull. Staggeringly so. Don't know how that's immature. It's my feeling; not a snide comeback.

No. You are speaking in an absolute. It doesn't mean saying something to its extreme, which is what you're trying to say, that's not what it means, it means a universal truth. You spoke as a universal truth.

So it is obviously your opinion, because you spoke it and I'm able to understand what people mean when they speak. But not because of the specific words you used if they were to be taken literally.

It isn't argument, it's a comment which barely has any connection to what I said. And it is dull. Staggeringly so. Don't know how that's immature. It's my feeling; not a snide comeback.

Except I'm not. Like you said, you know it's my opinion without me explicitly stating it so.

What you did, your fatal mistake, was to speak for 'everyone'. Saying that everyone realises motion controls are superior is where you went wrong and why you got the response you did. 'Who is this guy and why is he speaking for me?'

There's a difference in expressing your opinion without using 'I think' and saying that 'everyone thinks X'. The latter indicates some kind of general consensus perceived around a matter which in this case, there quite clearly isn't.

Edited by Sheikah

Trying to get back on topic. As for FPS not using Gryo as their set up. True. But this isn't a FPS.

So with stuff like this when using the motion controls for aiming, can you reset the centre point? Basically I dont ever play games with the controller dead infront of me facing forward but closer to my lap facing down and when I first started a match in Splatoon 2 I was just aiming down all the time.

Except I'm not. Like you said, you know it's my opinion.

What you did, your fatal mistake, was to speak for 'everyone'. Saying that everyone realises motion controls are superior is where you went wrong and why you got the response you did. 'Who is this guy and why is he speaking for me?'

There's a difference in expressing your opinion without using 'I think' and saying that 'everyone thinks X'. The latter indicates some kind of general consensus perceived around a matter which in this case, there quite clearly isn't.

Yes you are. You do not understand the word. I EDITED an example in to try and explain it.

I realise what my "fatal mistake" was; but I thought people had a brain and would understand that I didn't literally mean everyone. Clearly not.

All it would have taken was "not everyone" and I would've clarified and said yes, I obviously didn't mean that, was just trying to make a point that these conversations happened last time. Still a slightly dull exchange, but less dull than the reply I did get.

And what this conversation has become.

So with stuff like this when using the motion controls for aiming, can you reset the centre point? Basically I dont ever play games with the controller dead infront of me facing forward but closer to my lap facing down and when I first started a match in Splatoon 2 I was just aiming down all the time.

Yeah, Y (I think).

Trying to get back on topic. As for FPS not using Gryo as their set up. True. But this isn't a FPS.

Yes you are. You do not understand the word. I EDITED an example in to try and explain it.

I realise what my "fatal mistake" was; but I thought people had a brain and would understand that I didn't literally mean everyone. Clearly not.

All it would have taken was "not everyone" and I would've clarified and said yes, I obviously didn't mean that, was just trying to make a point that these conversations happened last time. Still a slightly dull exchange, but less dull than the reply I did get.

And what this conversation has become.

Yeah, Y (I think).

Translation: 'I'll get this back on topic so long as I have the last word.' :heh:

The difference between what each of us said is that even if you append 'I think' to both of our posts, yours is still speaking for other people (even if not 'everyone', if not to be literally interpreted, still at least 'most'). It's making assumptions on behalf of others that are not corroborated.

Guys, nobody cares

Stop speaking for everyone.

Is there anything official on what exactly will be new with Splatoon 2?

Is there anything official on what exactly will be new with Splatoon 2?

I'm gonna guess that the boxart will be new. Just a hunch.

Both are good and have advantages/disadvantages, there are plenty of people on the forum who know that I'm no slouch with dual analogue but at the same time, I'm probably a little better with the ol' wiimote (my favourite FPS control, even over keyboard & mouse).