NEurope
Serebii

Splatoon 2

You should probably ask @Pestneb - I only dare wonder how many hours he's clocked up on this by now!

I have been Splatoon free for 2 months and one day.

I um.. I may have clocked up over 500 hours on that particular game. It could be closer to 600.

But actually you should ask @are1981, pretty sure he must have hit 4 figures for hours spent on the game!

The turf wars really annoyed me with not being able to switch gear, particularly when playing with a friend, as often you'd lose the friend for a match or two (literally unable to find them as online in the friends list). I got pretty good at switching out for particular gear though, and in the end could generally tweak my loadout and get back to the lobby in time for the next match. That may have been helped by the drop off of users after the end of splatfests.

I think the main things I want from splatoon 2 would be single player to be fleshed out a lot... it was one of the best part of the game. Also co-op single player mode - like 2/3/4.. maybe even 8p co-op levels would be awesome (online and local play enabled).

Beyond that... having some quick way to switch load outs without dropping out the lobby would be nice!!

Splatoon 2 isn't enough to hook me on it's own yet though...

Also thanks rummy.. I'm fighting the urge to jump back into splatoon now :D

Some new info as well:

“In addition to the Testfire event, Nintendo squid expert and Splatoon 2 producer Hisashi Nogami also confirmed a new way for players to follow the action when the game launches later in the year – a mode that will give players a unique insight into squid behaviors and strategy called Private Battle Spectator View. This breakthrough in squid-observation technology will allow up to two non-players to participate in a Private Battle as camera operators to observe all the action from multiple angles*. Incredible! In addition to this, a new feature called LAN Play will be added to Splatoon 2, allowing up to 10 docked systems – eight players and two spectators – to connect via wired LAN. This feature allows players to create local Private Battle tournaments without the need for an internet connection. Local wireless play is perfect for your regular gaming get-togethers, but LAN Play is where it’s at when you want to organize a serious tournament event with your fellow players.

“Two years have passed in this universe since the original Splatoon, and since then, the weapons, maps and characters have evolved. Through the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire event this March, players will be able to get a taste of that. There will be more new features to experience in Splatoon 2, so please look forward to more reveals in the future,” noted Mr. Nogami.

We’re also happy to report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon series amiibo figures and, for the first time in the series, with an upcoming Nintendo Switch app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will connect to the game and allow players to set play appointments with friends and teammates who have been added to their Nintendo Switch friend list or via their social media accounts. It also allows players to match up with those friends directly in the game or voice chat with them via their smart device. For example, during a Private Battle, players can voice chat with all of their connected friends when they divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates on the same team.

In order to use this app, players need to link their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system and have a smart device capable of in-game voice chat. Online features will require a paid subscription. Data fees may apply. More details will be announced at a later date.”

I like that the app helps you match up with people based on social media accounts. That's a neat touch

I really hope they add some custom classes so you can change weapons/clothing during matches or at least in lobbies. This was my second biggest gripe with the game... but I'll not mention the first, haha.

Are they saying that the app is just for regular voice chat, and not party chat?

Still worries me that in their "example" they say in private matches you can voice chat... you better be able to chat to friends in general online too... Also in Squid Squads lets 3 people be joined by a random person!!

The first game had so many little annoyances which are so easy to fix... This better fix them!

And like I've said many many times before. Let us have bots... or even random people to join our private Battles, it's almost impossible to get 8 players together for a game....

I'm not reading voice chat with randoms between much of those lines - and I find it strange they're making points about that and not the other issues highlighted by others too. The loadouts, matchmaking waits, unbalanced teams etc, 4 hour map slots etc are all very notable issues that I'd either take fixes for over limited voice chat, or alternatively a full voice chat option so you can let people you're playing with know what's going on when you're forced to navigate around those flaws!

I'm not reading voice chat with randoms between much of those lines - and I find it strange they're making points about that and not the other issues highlighted by others too. The loadouts, matchmaking waits, unbalanced teams etc, 4 hour map slots etc are all very notable issues that I'd either take fixes for over limited voice chat, or alternatively a full voice chat option so you can let people you're playing with know what's going on when you're forced to navigate around those flaws!

They've said explicitly you can't voice chat with randoms.

I'm worried you can't chat with friends when playing with randoms. If that makes sense.

It sounds like you set up a lobby to voichat and you can join games. So i presume voice chat will continue if you get kicked out of a match.

It sounds like you set up a lobby to voichat and you can join games. So i presume voice chat will continue if you get kicked out of a match.

If you get kicked out of the match, you'll probably get kicked out of the lobby.

The description of voice chat sounds exactly like Splatoon.

If you get kicked out of the match, you'll probably get kicked out of the lobby.

The description of voice chat sounds exactly like Splatoon.

What do you mean? You can't voice chat in splatoon.

Also it sort of says you can join the group in advance, and then later on join a match.

Oh who knows... Why are Nintendo drip feeding this information, it's making it far more confusing than it needs to be.

The global testfire is available for download (in the E-shop). Looking forward to my first Splatoon matches next week!

Just a reminder for Switch owners that the Testfire starts today.

24th March

12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET / 19:00 - 19:59 GMT / 20:00 - 20:59 CET

8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET / 03:00 - 03:59 GMT / 04:00 - 04:59 CET

25th March

4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET / 11:00 - 11:59 GMT / 12:00 - 12:59 CET

12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET / 19:00 - 19:59 GMT / 20:00 - 20:59 CET

8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET / 04:00 - 04:59 BST / 05:00 - 05:59 CET

26th March

4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET / 12:00 - 12:59 BST / 13:00 - 13:59 CET

Hmm, Nope, Nope and Nope!

I can't really make any of those times, therefore there's probably no point in me downloading the testfire. :p

Still, I hope everyone enjoys it who has a chance to though. : peace:

I'm on it! I hope 2 player is up and running for it. Phube and Phubette will be tearing up the stalling servers tonight!!

Typical timing. I'm having a failure to connect online all day today (over 8 hours) with my Switch. Tried 3 different WiFi spots and my iPod works with them all, but the Switch throws up a DNS server issue every time. Are there problems with Ninty's online today??

I'm most likely on tonight, but not for the whole hour. I'm gone tomorrow evening, but may catch the afternoon matches on Saturday and Sunday (and maybe the Saturday night one).

I've never played Splatoon but I'm really interested to try it out so will definitely be taking part tonight. Hope to see some of you guys on there.

I don't own a Switch sadly, but I'll be watching some live streams of tonight's test, which should be in a couple of minutes from when I post this.

Currently watching my daughter play (sadly 2-player isn't up).

Yup, it's splatoon!

Currently watching my daughter play (sadly 2-player isn't up).

Yup, it's splatoon!

Anyone who was expecting anything else was only fooling themselves.

That map is so unintuitive though. Can't be helped, but still...