NEurope
Serebii

Splatoon 2

A new stage - as someone who missed this franchise on Wii U Im extremely excited to get into this!

You are in for an absolute treat, probably the best new IP I've played in a decade! It has a few irritations - like having only two maps per mode every 2 hours; not saving load outs and such; if they are ironed out then this will be spectacular.

You are in for an absolute treat, probably the best new IP I've played in a decade! It has a few irritations - like having only two maps per mode every 2 hours; not saving load outs and such; if they are ironed out then this will be spectacular.

Was the online addictive for you? As in time flies while playing it?

I found it very addictive, it's great for a one-more-go type situation, which ends up being twelve more rounds. Fantastic game, you're in for a real treat. I really liked the single player too, though it wasn't very long.

I found it very addictive, it's great for a one-more-go type situation, which ends up being twelve more rounds. Fantastic game, you're in for a real treat. I really liked the single player too, though it wasn't very long.

Great - look forward to doing battle with you guys!

Oh absolutely, the game is really incredible, felt completely new. There were a few of us who played it a lot; a few others who dabbled but hated the fact there was no voice chat; so with that fixed I'd imagine it'll have even more of a community.

The 'inking the ground > swimming in it' gameplay mechanic is very clever and feels extremely satisfying.

The gameplay was top notch, typically Nintendo in quality. If they've corrected the flaws in the first game (nothing to with gameplay, moreso options) the sequel will be one of the best multiplayer experiences to be found anywhere!

Sort of. It was the kind of game where you wouldn't feel like playing it at all for six months, then suddenly you get an urge and play it for several hours a day for weeks on end.

Sort of. It was the kind of game where you wouldn't feel like playing it at all for six months, then suddenly you get an urge and play it for several hours a day for weeks on end.

Ah, sounds like relationship with Command and Conquer 3 and Pro Evo 17. Good in my books.

The gameplay was top notch, typically Nintendo in quality. If they've corrected the flaws in the first game (nothing to with gameplay, moreso options) the sequel will be one of the best multiplayer experiences to be found anywhere!

They've said it has voice chat (Splatoon 2), but I don't know how is it implemented.

They've said it has voice chat (Splatoon 2), but I don't know how is it implemented.

ea0b26d6586b2b998a95d9520c6b1ff2_royalty-free-rf-clipart-of-can-can-of-worms-clipart_420-450.jpeg

Still the most terrifying thing is that they specifically said Splatoon 2 has voice chat because people in the west requested it. Worrying because it clearly means no party chat, and worrying because Mario kart doesn't say the same, and also seems to suggest that it will be on a case by case basis.... Nintendo really are insanely slowl and backwards sometimes...

I was actually not thinking of that thanks to @Ronnie, I'm taking up his challenge of not talking about it for 3 hours (I'll try for as long as I can Ronnie).

I was more talking about the lack of a party system (getting a group of friends and playing outside of private matches), a custom class system and the changing of said classes in game or even in the lobbies.

It really is very basic option-wise.

I was actually not thinking of that thanks to @Ronnie, I'm taking up his challenge of not talking about it for 3 hours (I'll try for as long as I can Ronnie).

I was more talking about the lack of a party system (getting a group of friends and playing outside of private matches), a custom class system and the changing of said classes in game or even in the lobbies.

It really is very basic option-wise.

Ah OK, I mostly remember voice chat when it comes to you :D, so I thought it's a good news for you.

I have no idea about the rest.

Splatoon twitter. Reiterates you bed your phone to go into lobbies and voice chat. Any chat to strangers. In lobby can chat to all friends. In match just your team. All seems fine. Except the mobile app ridiculousness.

Still the most terrifying thing is that they specifically said Splatoon 2 has voice chat because people in the west requested it. Worrying because it clearly means no party chat, and worrying because Mario kart doesn't say the same, and also seems to suggest that it will be on a case by case basis.... Nintendo really are insanely slowl and backwards sometimes...

It's gonna be the same as past generations. Some games will have lots of online features while others will be bare bones.

Can't believe it's gonna be on a game by game basis again.

Regarding voice chat in Splatoon 2. Not really happy that once in game you can't chat with people not on friends list.

Nintendo could have implemented that with parental controls and instead give adults a choice if they want to chat with friends only.

Splatoon twitter. Reiterates you bed your phone to go into lobbies and voice chat. Any chat to strangers. In lobby can chat to all friends. In match just your team. All seems fine. Except the mobile app ridiculousness.

The mobile app is making more sense the more I think about it. The Switch doesn't have any sim card for data use, meaning voice chat outdoors isn't possible unless there's wifi around. With the mobile app it'll be possible anywhere.

I know only a small percentage of people will want to use voice chat outdoors and I'm not making excuses for them, but I can see the argument for why a mobile app in a wifi-only handheld is needed.

*awaits onslaught*

The mobile app is making more sense the more I think about it. The Switch doesn't have any sim card for data use, meaning voice chat outdoors isn't possible unless there's wifi around. With the mobile app it'll be possible anywhere.

I know only a small percentage of people will want to use voice chat outdoors and I'm not making excuses for them, but I can see the argument for why a mobile app in a wifi-only handheld is needed.

*awaits onslaught*

This doesn't make sense... if they switch isn't online you won't be able to voicehat anyway!

And they pitch it as a home console, they shouldn't compromise online/voicechat for mobile (which either way -people would use them more at home)

This doesn't make sense... if they switch isn't online you won't be able to voicehat anyway!

D'oh, never mind.

So when my little nephew wants to play Splatoon online and chat with me and his dad he can't as he doesn't have a smartphone.

Why should we need to buy him a smartphone to play and chat with us online together?

Edited by khilafah

You should probably ask @Pestneb - I only dare wonder how many hours he's clocked up on this by now!

Personally I ended up with at least 100 hours playtime out of the original. I recall one day when I think Moray Towers came out, me @Cube and @Goron_3 were on for possibly half the day in and out lol - don't think any of us attended to the plans we actually had for the day! That was cool, though we were skyping at the same time which helped.

You have to consider though - that's 100 hours for me despite some noticeable flaws in the game. i.e not being able to change loadouts without leaving lobbies, then waiting to get back into games(especially if trying to rejoin friends) and the 'rotation' of modes and limits of maps to 4 hourly intervals, the kick at the changeover time, balance for uneven teams etc.

The slow trickle of content, whilst initially receiving mixed reactions, eventually wasn't too bad for me personally. It added some sort of new dimensions and freshness to the game when new weapons came out and the meta slowly changed. One of the things I loved about Splatoon actually was just seeing how the meta of it slowly changed over time! I'm a bit of a nerd for stuff like that though.

Splatwoon is probably one of the things that would make me really want to get a Switch when I think about it atm - as long as the weaknesses have been addressed.

Every time I see this argument made I ask the same question - why the need though? Why not just use the WiFi hotspot feature that basically every common smart device has in it? It's already possible anywhere WITHOUT an app in that context. I'm personally hoping for far more from an app than something that we can basically already do without it.

Nintendo could have implemented that with parental controls and instead give adults a choice if they want to chat with friends only.

I've thought the same since the Wii U and can't fathom it really. It was really enjoyable when we did manage to Skype/VC whilst Splatooning, but it could sometimes be a bit of a faff getting it together; especially when there was quite a few of us!

Edited by Rummy

If you've got no WiFi, then the Switch then you won't be playing online on the Switch.

I highly doubt the app will allow the Switch to use your mobile internet - unless Nintendo plan on releasing instructions for jailbraking iPhones and sideloading the app.

While it's possible on Android, some mobile carriers can (and do) block apps like that from being installed from the Play Store.

One thing that does look awesome for Splatoon 2: the new Switch trailer seems to suggest that it will support 8 consoles for local multiplayer.

Edited by Cube

If you've got no WiFi, then the Switch then you won't be playing online on the Switch.

I highly doubt the app will allow the Switch to use your mobile internet - unless Nintendo plan on releasing instructions for jailbraking iPhones and sideloading the app.

While it's possible on Android, some mobile carriers can (and do) block apps like that from being installed from the Play Store.

One thing that does look awesome for Splatoon 2: the new Switch trailer seems to suggest that it will support 8 consoles for local multiplayer.

Though that was already confirmed. Or maybe I just presumed.

At what point are we going to talk about the fact that the logo is a giant penis?

Actually, two penises.