NEurope
Serebii

Fire Emblem Warriors

52 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

Really?  I could have swore I had to pick up the pouches in Hyrule Warriors.

No, you're right, you do have to run into them in Hyrule Warriors to pick them up.

I don't expect them to bring over the QoL improvements FE had for Hyrule Definitive. Love to be proven wrong though.

• Thanks 1

Huh, colour me surprised. You still should pick up some though and that still means running over them.

Is this any good? Just found it for the equialent of £2 and don't know if I should just sell it straight away or try it out - I played Hyrule Warriors but didn't enjoy it much in the long run.

44 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Is this any good? Just found it for the equialent of £2 and don't know if I should just sell it straight away or try it out - I played Hyrule Warriors but didn't enjoy it much in the long run.

The man to ask is @Glen-i, I'm sure he has lots of hours in this game.

It's a good Musou. I preferred Hyrule Warriors, but I don't have much of a connection with Fire Emblem. Definitely worth giving it a go at 2 euros though!

I think it depends on what you didn't like about Hyrule Warriors. It's essentially a similar game, although Fire Emblem Warriors has a bit more to the gameplay (changing between characters for example during a mission). On the other hand HW is praised more for its originality and quirky characters.

It definitely depends on what you didn't enjoy about Hyrule Warriors, yeah. If you're not a fan of Warriors games, FEW probably won't do much for you either, but I'd say it's a lot better than Hyrule Warriors — easily the best in the entire Warriors franchise, even — from a gameplay perspective at the very least. There's also more consistent quality among the characters, whereas Hyrule Warriors has a lot of characters that are just an absolute pain to play...

Personally, I've been playing FEW every single day since release, got over 770 hours logged (by far my most played Switch game), and I'm finally approaching 100% completion! No other Warriors game has ever managed to hold my attention for so long... I was burned out from Hyrule Warriors before even finishing all the Adventure Mode maps.

(Disclaimer: I'm a fairly huge fan of both Warriors games and Fire Emblem. But an even bigger Zelda fan.)

Edited by FireMeowth
  • Like 2

I think I found HW a bit dull and samey after a while, too much button mashing with no need for doing anything out of the ordinary. Co-op was fun, if I recall correctly. So it seems that I should at least give this a try then. Thanks!

12 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I think I found HW a bit dull and samey after a while, too much button mashing with no need for doing anything out of the ordinary. Co-op was fun, if I recall correctly. So it seems that I should at least give this a try then. Thanks!

If that was what you didn't like about HW, you probably will have the same issue here. The characters aren't as fun to play as, but being able to command other characters to do stuff helps to make the gameplay more interesting. But not enough to really elevate it.

• Like 1

I celebrated the Fire Emblem 30th anniversary today by finishing Fire Emblem Warriors! Wasn't even planned, just reached the end on the perfect day.

Ended up with 785+ hours in the Play Activity after playing every single day for exactly two and a half years. My favourite Warriors game by far (though my favourite Fire Emblem game is still TMS♯FE, of course)!

• Like 4

OK, I might have gotten 100% completion, but even I didn't level everyone to 150! Just Tiki, she's the fastest to level up due to constant XP bonus from all the Awakening Mode she does.

You madman!

Oh yeah, the levelling was definitely the most tedious part of the grind. If I hadn't decided to do that I would probably have finished the game over a year ago. My biggest fear was burning out halfway through, so I paced myself as best I could and played plenty of other games alongside it. I'm really happy I managed to stick with it!

And yeah, Tiki is the best. She was invaluable for the grind, thanks to Awakening Mode also granting a hefty gold bonus! 

Not content with playing just one Fire Emblem game, I decided to take a crack at another. I've been playing this alongside Fates and like that, i've been enjoying my time with it. I originally bought this when it first came out (I honestly don't even remember buying the special edition of the thing) and I only got to chapter 9 before shelving it for whatever reason. I couldn't remember what was what so I ended up starting the game again.

So far the main unit i've been rocking is Rowan, with me switching when certain things called for it, namely when Anna appears or when Rowan is unavailable. I've just been concentrating on levelling him up and i've been able to make some good progress with him being my main. A few of the characters have been getting neglected a bit and I may repeat a few stages in order to bring them up to scratch.

I quite like the little nods that the game brings to the table for those who have played some of the other Fire Emblem games. There have been some from Awakening and last night I came across a pretty big nod to Fates. It involved a mission where a character was ill and needed some herbs to be healed. Sakura said she had seen this before and knew how to cure it. That same evening I had just played a mission in Fates that this moment was referring to. It was a cool inclusion and it's something that I would have missed out on had I not been playing Fates.

I'm finding the game less grindy and generally a lot more fun than Hyrule Warriors. I obviously have more history and experience with the Zelda franchise than I do Fire Emblem and as such Hyrule Warriors fan service moments do resonate more than the ones in Fire Emblem Warriors. However, even though i've not finished this yet i'm getting the impression that it is the better and more refined game.

I'm currently on chapter 11 so i'm already further along than I was during my last play through of the game. I may crack on with it tomorrow morning and see if I can get it done before the day is over. I will say that it's somewhat therapeutic playing one of these games. Just being able to mow down hordes of enemies with a combo or two is very satisfying. It's also a nice contrast to my play time with Fates. In that game it's all above tactical moves and playing slowly and here it's mainly about unleashing hell. I'm finding they are nice companion pieces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

However, even though i've not finished this yet i'm getting the impression that it is the better and more refined game.

Well, that's because technically, it is. The mechanics building this up are great. Commanding your allies to tackle something while you're busy with your own task adds a much needed sense of strategy and the weapon triangle works brilliantly.

My massive issue with this game is that most of the characters aren't as fun to play. And when you take away all the clones, you're left with a really bare variety compared to Hyrule. Comparing the base characters from the WiiU Hyrule Warriors really shows Fire Emblem up.

Hyrule had 13 characters, all completely unique. As well as that, some of them had multiple types of weapons, which may as well be different characters. (Link had 3 extra weapons, Lana had 2, while Impa and Zelda had 1) A free update shortly after release also added 3 more characters and another weapon for Link. So 24 different ways of playing.

Meanwhile, Fire Emblem has 15 unique styles of characters, but the roster is built up of a bunch of clones in an attempt to make it feel bigger than it actually is. And not a lot of them are very imaginative.

Out of all of them, I'd say only Tiki, Ryoma and Lyn were enjoyable for me to play as. The rest bordered on middling to boring. And holy hell, Troubadours are useless.

Meanwhile Hyrule's duds for me consist of Ruto, who sucks, and Midna, who has one amazing move that means you'll be using nothing but that, which quickly becomes dull. The rest are wacky and imaginative.

And then we get to the DLC. Hyrule's brought even more mental movesets like Tingle and Zelda's Dominion Rod while Fire Emblem decided to bring 5 more clones alongside it's 4 characters, which just feels rubbish. Don't get me wrong, Asura is decent, but when it brings along a 4th bloody archer, it sours the experience.

Bring in the 3DS characters for Hyrule and Fire Emblem's roster just looks sad in comparison. Especially as FE really narrows it's focus on three games in the series. Lyn and Celica were blatant afterthoughts, seeing as they're clones of other characters. Hyrule has 8 different games making up it's selection! You can play as Marin! She can summon the Wind Fish to body slam enemies! It's great fun!

There are loads of classes in Fire Emblem that are left out in Warriors, where are the Knights? How about Awakenings Taguel class? Bow Knights spring to mind as well. Berserkers?

I'm still playing Hyrule Warriors on Switch, almost 100% now. The characters carry this kind of game for me. Fire Emblem may be the better game, mechanically speaking, but Hyrule lets me run over stuff with the train from Spirit Tracks, and that's just great!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The credits have now rolled.

EW32MriUMAAT1Ff?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EW32m6xVAAA8vJg?format=jpg&name=large

EW32m61UEAAqcW4?format=jpg&name=large

EW32m61U4AAFD8h?format=jpg&name=large

EW32m6fVcAEXi_W?format=jpg&name=large

EW32MrpUYAEWlC5?format=jpg&name=large

Yup. Really enjoyed my time with the game. 

A problem did pop up towards of the end of the game though. This isn't an issue with this game but rather these types of games in general. You could be making great progress in a map, sweeping areas clean and capturing bases left and right. All of a sudden the enemy will send out a bunch of back up soldiers out of nowhere and a lot of the work you've put in ends up coming crashing down on you. If i'm honest, it feels a bit cheap and it does feel like the enemy are just pulling reinforcements out of their backside half the time.

As with most Japanese anime type games, the story ends up turning into the cliche of the power of friendship once again being the driving force behind the final victory. I always find it hilarious that writers can't seem to come up with anything else. Which leads me to my next point, does the World Tree have to feature in just about every fantasy based JRPG? I've played so many of them now that feature it, or a variation of it, as a main plot point or setting. Still, it didn't really hamper my enjoyment of the game because I was pretty much playing for the hack and slash gameplay.

After my play through of the game Rowan ended up just shy of level 50, with everyone else lagging behind in the 20's and 30's range. It makes sense that this was the case given that I was using him most of the time. I did switch to Camilla quite a bit as she was pretty nippy in getting around the map and I found her attacks more effective that Cordelia. I found it hilarious the effort the developers put into Camilla. Some enemies look very basic and blocky and yet the developers found the time to make sure Camilla's knockers had plenty of jiggle physics going on with them. Priorities and all that. :D 

It's crazy to think that i've put 10+ hours into the game and seen the ending and yet FireMeowth put an insanely impressive 750 hours into it. Once again, amazing effort by you for pulling that off. It just goes to show the wealth on content that are in these types of games should you choose to go all in with them. Levelling everyone up to the max, unlocking and finishing off the bonus maps, getting the best gear, finishing off the illustrations...yeah, i'm happy with just seeing the credits roll. :laughing:

I stand by what I said earlier when I said it was better than Hyrule Warriors. Mechanically it just felt a lot smoother but I do see why Glen would like Hyrule more. I'm not one for goofy stuff but I know Glen gets a kick out of such things. Despite enjoying the game it still has a long way to go before reaching the heights of Dragon Quest Heroes. That is still the best Warriors type game I have played and neither this or Hyrule has come close to matching it, both in terms of mechanics and fan service.

Before I head off to continue my adventures on Fire Emblem Fates, what in the hell is up with Tiki's voice? The accent and general acting of it were very bad. I wasn't a fan of it at all. All the rest of the cast seemed to be decent but her....yeesh.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Before I head off to continue my adventures on Fire Emblem Fates, what in the hell is up with Tiki's voice? The accent and general acting of it were very bad. I wasn't a fan of it at all. All the rest of the cast seemed to be decent but her....yeesh.

I wonder if they got the voice actor for the older Tiki that shows up in Awakening to do younger Tiki's voice as well? Because it does smack of an adult trying to do a child's voice.

I know @Dcubed is not a fan of that voice as well.

I do find it quite funny when you play as her and turn into a dragon, she's constantly shouting "Rarrrgh" like a kid pretending to be a monster.

• Haha 2